Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing (2244 Views)

So If Romote Work & Freelancing No Dey, Naija Devs Can't Do Something Else? / Please Devs, You Guys Should Stop Glamorising Tech And Programming / Devs How Are You Guys Making Money??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 11:26am On Oct 22, 2021
Omo
My profile on Upwork was recently approved, initially I was happy, but after browsing through a series of jobs for two days running, I just couldn't even drop a proposal for any one. They just seemed too advanced and fear nor free me.

Am I the only one on these shoes? I had to go back to drawing board and work on more projects to boost confidence. Cheiii

I'm a react developer by the way.
I also noticed that WordPress seemed to have good amount of jobs. Should I learn WordPress too?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Chigstar: 11:54am On Oct 22, 2021
You're not the only one. Even the jobs that i could i was easily outbidded by other freelancers. Not doing upwork again.
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 11:56am On Oct 22, 2021
Chigstar:
You're not the only one. Even the jobs that i could i was easily outbidded by other freelancers. Not doing upwork again.
But running away isn't the solution na.
Would you rather not freelance again?
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Chigstar: 2:32pm On Oct 22, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
But running away isn't the solution na.
Would you rather not freelance again?
I would still freelance, but i freelance for local businesses, it's even very stressful to find out the problems of people that need to be solved. I would very much prefer to get a remote job and those are stable and pay well.
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Sheriman(m): 2:47pm On Oct 22, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
Omo
My profile on Upwork was recently approved, initially I was happy, but after browsing through a series of jobs for two days running, I just couldn't even drop a proposal for any one. They just seemed too advanced and fear nor free me.

Am I the only one on these shoes? I had to go back to drawing board and work on more projects to boost confidence. Cheiii

I also noticed that WordPress seemed to have good amount of jobs. Should I learn WordPress too?
You still need to braze up your skills to meet the expectation. Read and practice all the exercises in react native documentation also build a mini project for yourself.
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 5:45pm On Oct 22, 2021
Chigstar:

I would still freelance, but i freelance for local businesses, it's even very stressful to find out the problems of people that need to be solved. I would very much prefer to get a remote job and those are stable and pay well.
Honestly, getting a job is way better.
But then, another issue is passing the interviews and getting the jobs. It is well
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 5:46pm On Oct 22, 2021
Sheriman:

You still need to braze up your skills to meet the expectation. Read and practice all the exercises in react native documentation also build a mini project for yourself.
I'm working on projects for my portfolio.
Could you suggest examples of projects I can build please
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Sheriman(m): 6:10pm On Oct 22, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
I'm working on projects for my portfolio.
Could you suggest examples of projects I can build please
You can developed an entertainment Application where users will be able to upload variety of music genres, download music, delete music in their download list, able to play and listen to music in the Application. Users will be able to comment, reply comment, edit comment, share the music to social media, create a like button for the music, dark mode in the App, users can be able to use emojis if possible. Users must have a profile. Users must registered before downloading any music from the App. Create a beautiful user interface for the App

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:00pm On Oct 22, 2021
While it's good to be hunting for freelance projects. Also find a way to get an internship or a junior developer role. You just finished learning and your blood dey hot. We have all been there but you are still a junior developer and don't know much. In the freelance world, you can be given super complex projects to do and if you don't know what to do it will tell on you. The few ones everyone can do will have a lot of bids. Check for freelance work but also look for a full time job too or internship. Don't limit yourself to one.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by stanliwise(m): 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2021
While you build project the main idea is to gain the deep understanding, deep diving into technical project is about how deep one is.

Btw don’t waste your time on upwork if you don’t have a portfolio
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by ahmedsaniadamu(m): 11:05pm On Oct 22, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
Omo

can you please list the set of languages and frameworks you know in front-end development
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Chigstar: 11:05pm On Oct 22, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
Honestly, getting a job is way better.
But then, another issue is passing the interviews and getting the jobs. It is well
Exactly! I'm really just tired. My true dream is to start my own indie game company. But no money for now sha.
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by LikeAking: 1:51am On Oct 23, 2021
Sheriman:

You can developed an entertainment Application where users will be able to upload variety of music genres, download music, delete music in their download list, able to play and listen to music in the Application. Users will be able to comment, reply comment, edit comment, share the music to social media, create a like button for the music, users can be able to use emojis if possible. Users must have a profile. Users must registered before downloading any music from the App. Create a beautiful user interface for the App

Too big.
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:11am On Oct 23, 2021
LikeAking:

Too big.
Actually its not. Those are the kind of projects that differentiate people immediately especially when it has a beautiful nice design not a to do application.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Sheriman(m): 11:36am On Oct 23, 2021
LikeAking:

Too big.
grin grin what if a client or company higher you to develop this kind of App with huge pay?? Will you ignore it? You just have to braze up your skills. Programming is a relentless career.
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by LikeAking: 12:48pm On Oct 23, 2021
Sheriman:
grin grin what if a client or company higher you to develop this kind of App with huge pay?? Will you ignore it? You just have to braze up your skills. Programming is a relentless career.

Only one man doing a job like this perfectly will take months. You get?
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by LikeAking: 12:48pm On Oct 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Actually its not. Those are the kind of projects that differentiate people immediately especially when it has a beautiful nice design not a to do application.

Only one man doing a job like this perfectly will take months or years. You get?
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Sheriman(m): 12:54pm On Oct 23, 2021
LikeAking:

Only one man doing a job like this perfectly will take months. You get?
I know but if a person knows what is doing, understanding the tools and framework to use even if it takes a year you wouldn't know. Application that worth $10,000.00 or more. It will boost your morale
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 1:33pm On Oct 23, 2021
Sheriman:

You can developed an entertainment Application where users will be able to upload variety of music genres, download music, delete music in their download list, able to play and listen to music in the Application. Users will be able to comment, reply comment, edit comment, share the music to social media, create a like button for the music, users can be able to use emojis if possible. Users must have a profile. Users must registered before downloading any music from the App. Create a beautiful user interface for the App
Awesome project description.
I'll definitely work on this then
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 1:34pm On Oct 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
While it's good to be hunting for freelance projects. Also find a way to get an internship or a junior developer role. You just finished learning and your blood dey hot. We have all been there but you are still a junior developer and don't know much. In the freelance world, you can be given super complex projects to do and if you don't know what to do it will tell on you. The few ones everyone can do will have a lot of bids. Check for freelance work but also look for a full time job too or internship. Don't limit yourself to one.
This is so true.
I guess I have to focus on hunting for full time roles.
Thanks
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 1:35pm On Oct 23, 2021
ahmedsaniadamu:

can you please list the set of languages and frameworks you know in front-end development
it's just HTML, CSS, JavaScript and React oh
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by ahmedsaniadamu(m): 10:07pm On Oct 23, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:

OK!
I know HTML CSS JavaScript React Bootstrap and Sass but I had never apply for freelance jobs because I want to be a full stack developer .. I am currently learning php at school and also in w3schools I will learn MySQL at last and venture into freelancing world ...

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by GreatAchiever1: 7:21am On Oct 24, 2021
Chigstar:

Exactly! I'm really just tired. My true dream is to start my own indie game company. But no money for now sha.

That makes two of us
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 10:04am On Oct 24, 2021
ahmedsaniadamu:

OK!
I know HTML CSS JavaScript React Bootstrap and Sass but I had never apply for freelance jobs because I want to be a full stack developer .. I am currently learning php at school and also in w3schools I will learn MySQL at last and venture into freelancing world ...
This is great but you do not have to be a full stack before you start freelancing.
You can build frontend projects and make a portfolio and start earning money while learning back-end simultaneously.

My suggestion though

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by ahmedsaniadamu(m): 10:32am On Oct 24, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
This is great but you do not have to be a full stack before you start freelancing.
You can build frontend projects and make a portfolio and start earning money while learning back-end simultaneously.

My suggestion though

being the fact that I had never try it out...I see most people coming here to nairalanders posting that freelancing is too saturated often front-end developers that's why I want to be a full stack developer that's my reason .. but anyway you are right thanks!!!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Drella(m): 2:42pm On Oct 24, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:

This man lol.
See as you mentioned "just" grin

What JS used my eyes to see ehn.I haven't even reached react o.

Whenever I want to start js now, I'll have to start from the beginning again! It's been about a year since I coded last.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by TheManOfTheYear: 7:07pm On Oct 24, 2021
Drella:

This man lol.
See as you mentioned "just" grin

What JS used my eyes to see ehn.I haven't even reached react o.

Whenever I want to start js now, I'll have to start from the beginning again! It's been about a year since I coded last.
Hahaha
I also used to take breaks due to school stress, but trust me, you cannot learn the whole of JS even in ten years. You just need to grab the basics and then pick a framework.

You got this

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Drella(m): 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2021
TheManOfTheYear:
Hahaha
I also used to take breaks due to school stress, but trust me, you cannot learn the whole of JS even in ten years. You just need to grab the basics and then pick a framework.

You got this

Cool thanks.
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by benjatoba(m): 6:11am On Oct 26, 2021
Learn a skill that is not too common. I am on upwork too. All my projects has been on a skill called RADZEN.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by barny95(m): 6:04pm On Oct 26, 2021
I have a video I got online that is helping me to learn this freelancing thing for me. I can share it with anyone if you don't mind
Re: How Do You Guys Do This Freelancing Thing by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 26, 2021
benjatoba:
Learn a skill that is not too common. I am on upwork too. All my projects has been on a skill called RADZEN.

@OP, this is the best way to make it on the site. Targetting your niche and competing well.
Later on, you can expand your horizon

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Useful Functions To Tighten The Security In Php / Which Nigerian Gateway Service Is The Best For An Ecommerce Website / I Need Advanced PHP Programming,ajax And JS Ebooks, Pls!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.