Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,162 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

#dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) (22031 Views)

Another Nigerian Killed In Philippines Drug Sting / Nigerian Man Arrested In Cambodia In A Methamphetamine Speaker Sting Operation / 49 Nigerians Arrested In A House In Senegal During A Midnight Sting Operation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

#dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by fergie001: 5:51pm On Oct 26, 2021
Police around the world have arrested 150 suspects in one of the largest-ever dark web sting operations.

The suspects arrested included several high-profile targets, involved in buying or selling illegal goods online, Europol said today.

Operation Dark HunTOR also recovered millions of pounds in cash and bitcoin, as well as drugs and guns.

The bust stems from a German-led police sting earlier this year taking down the 'world's largest' darknet marketplace.

Darknet markets are e-commerce sites designed to lie beyond the reach of regular search engines and are popular with criminals, as buyers and sellers are largely untraceable.

Police around the world have arrested 150 suspects in one of the largest-ever dark web sting operations. The suspects arrested included several high-profile targets, involved in buying or selling illegal goods online, Europol said today (stock image)
Dark HunTOR, 'was composed of a series of separate but complementary actions in Australia, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States,' the Hague-based Europol said.

In the United States alone, police arrested 65 people, while 47 were held in Germany, 24 in Britain, and four each in Italy and the Netherlands, among others.

A number of those arrested 'were considered high-value targets' by Europol.

Law agents also confiscated 26.7 million euros (£22.45million) in cash and virtual currencies, as well as 45 guns and 516lbs of drugs, including 25,000 ecstasy pills.

Italian police also shut down the 'DeepSea' and 'Berlusconi' marketplaces, 'which together boasted over 100,000 announcements of illegal products', said Europol, which coordinated the operation together with its twin judicial agency Eurojust.

German police in January closed down the 'DarkMarket' online marketplace, used by its alleged operator, an Australian, to facilitate the sale of drugs, stolen credit card data and malware.

Europol said the arrest of the alleged operator, caught near the German-Danish border at the time, and the seizure of the criminal infrastructure provided 'investigators across the world with a trove of evidence'.

German prosecutors at the time said DarkMarket came to light in the course of a major investigation against the web-hosting service Cyberbunker, located in a former NATO bunker in southwest Germany.

Europol's European Cybercrime Centre EC3 has since been compiling intelligence packages to identify the key targets, the continent's policing agency said.

The secret 'darknet' includes websites that can be assessed only with specific software or authorisations, ensuring anonymity for users.

Dark HunTOR, 'was composed of a series of separate but complementary actions in Australia, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States,' the Hague-based Europol (their HQ pictured) said
They have faced increased pressure from international law enforcement in recent months.

'The point of operations such as this is to put criminals operating on the dark web on notice (that) the law enforcement community has the means and global partnerships to unmask them and hold them accountable for their illegal activities,' Europol deputy director of operations Jean-Philippe Lecouffe said.

Rolf van Wegberg, cybercrime investigator at the TU Delft university said the operation signalled a break in the trend of recent police actions against suspected online criminals.

'This kind of operations in the past looked at arresting the controllers of these marketplaces, we now see police services targeting the top sellers,' he told investigative journalists at the Dutch KRO-NCRV public broadcaster.

SOURCE

FBI

The US Department of Justice

1 Like

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Naijaguy12345(m): 6:48pm On Oct 26, 2021
The moment they pulled down those websites, new ones will spring up. Dirty money in the dark web for criminals.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Generalwoodz(m): 6:48pm On Oct 26, 2021
The only thing I buy from the dark web is VPN logins and nothing more... I want to honestly plead to US spies here on nairaland to hasten and pick me up. I'm guilty I deal on logins. Pls come and arrest me and whisk me away to states to pay for me crimes.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by letristian: 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
See where police works with intelligence
Not here that all they know is harassment and intimidation

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by MRDEE01: 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
Nice one.
Taking what doesn't belong to you,however you make it look,is a crime

4 Likes

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Earlystar698(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
When they finally arrived Nigeria guess what cheesy

5 Likes

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Kaa4(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
Better INTERPOL?!
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
I don't support any kind of crime but neither do I support double standard but when there go begin arrest slave traders starting with apple owners wey dey destroy old iphone battery when they one release new iPhone to make hundreds of billions of dollars none of them go jail, they only paid fine why these ones no pay fine too na, as for me and my household we no go lick oyinbo yansh, hahahaha abi why all the investigating countries na oyinbo country na only oyinbo Waka come

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by DuBLINGreenb(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
Too much effort for too little result
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by owiko(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
P
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Timi45: 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
The dark web has always been a safe haven for criminals to perpetrate their criminal act. Good one on the part of Europol
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by onilanre(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
Wow
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by xpressionx(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
DAMN NIGGA LEFT THE GROUP CHAT
grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Numerouno94(m): 6:50pm On Oct 26, 2021
I tot Dark Web was untraceable. undecided

5 Likes

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by iyapont: 6:50pm On Oct 26, 2021
J
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by stigmond(m): 6:50pm On Oct 26, 2021
Ok... that is to say, our boys are still learners.... That's real shit of an underworld crime union!!!

2 Likes

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by willbayo(m): 6:50pm On Oct 26, 2021
Omo,wer I go Dey buy cc like dis
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by money121(m): 6:50pm On Oct 26, 2021
Ok
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by solidmyk(m): 6:50pm On Oct 26, 2021
Darkweb has always been the home of creepy stuffs, imagine streaming live gore videos lipsrsealed
One of the funniest shit is that Nigerians involved in the dark web ain't that much going by the listed countries here yet they're been tagged to being notorious in criminality

1 Like

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Wapgod(m): 6:51pm On Oct 26, 2021

2 Likes

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by seyz91(m): 6:51pm On Oct 26, 2021
to catch you abi
midigit:
When are you guys coming to Naija
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by kennykruzmason: 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2021
Just like that thanks to technology advancement. So far africa is playing catch up so most of them are undercover.

1 Like

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Fuckthamods: 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2021
This is the platform through which they smuggle young girls and turn them to sex slaves

1 Like

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by dyera(m): 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2021
Reading this story remind me of our own Supercop Abba Kyari, AKA Nigerian Jack Bauer. Does anyone know if Super cop Abba Kyari has returned to the force?

3 Likes

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by bosschinalu(m): 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2021
Nigerian Police and EFCC will teach them.
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by BruncleZuma: 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2021
grin grin grin grin

Who sabi Jack Bauer the Gucci Tailor make dem tell am say no escape when them go come for am.

3 Likes

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by Raphael007(m): 6:53pm On Oct 26, 2021
Fraud isn’t Nigeria thing alone as we can see, though names weren’t mentioned if Nigerians were involved they wouldn’t let us rest or hear word those FBI nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by kunlesehan(m): 6:53pm On Oct 26, 2021
The darkweb, another world on its own
Re: #dark Huntor: Police Sting Operation Lead To 150 Arrests (65 In US, 24 In UK) by bigdammyj: 6:53pm On Oct 26, 2021
Noted

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Suspected Customs Officers Invade Fagbohun, Ogun, Burn Houses / Girl Beheaded In Ebonyi, Private Parts Missing / Babatunde Oyebode, Naijagistlive's Owner Confesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.