Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,203 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? (1247 Views)

Should I Sell My Dollars Now Or Wait? / How Much Can I Exchange My Dollars To Naira / Should I Sell My Dollars To Bdc Or Keep It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 6:54pm On Oct 29, 2021
The cbn has rolled out its much touted e naira programme. And though you could dismiss it as another Nigerian white elephant project, I counsel you to look well before that leap.

First, context is everything.

This roll-out is not happening in a vacuum. Notably, the Chinese recently started their own e-yuan project test run and that is what should get your attention.

The Chinese have not been shy of saying they're trying to bypass US money monopoly by this digital thing . With their e-yuan, peer to peer international payments can be made without passing through the dollar denominated SWIFT international money transfer system.
That means US financial sanctions lose their teeth. That means the dollar loses its strangle hold on nations like Iran, Venezuela, Cuba and ....quite honestly everyone ultimately.

If this happens, the demand for dollar would plunge and its value would follow suit.

Is it a coincidence that the Chinese are trying to open banks in nigeria at the same time that the cbn is starting e-naira? I think not.

The Chinese will apply all their pressure to co-opt nations into their digital payment system. Nigerias imports from China will be traded in e- yuan and the dollar will depreciate against the naira.

Let's be clear, I lose if that happens, having a significant dollar stash. So I'm not like wishing for it, but this is what my gut tells me. Otherwise why has the naira suddenly appreciated in the past 2 days and is now at 568 as against 575 to the dollar ?

I would appreciate better minds commenting on this , let's know if finally the naira is turning the corner and we should all sell off our dollars.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by KratosCorp: 7:01pm On Oct 29, 2021
The dominance of US dollar as the currency for global trade is more politically driven and sustained than fiscally.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Acjohn(m): 7:10pm On Oct 29, 2021
Nigerians killing their currency.

When it will fall, many will loose
Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 7:19pm On Oct 29, 2021
KratosCorp:
The dominance of US dollar as the currency for global trade is more politically driven and sustained than fiscally.

Agreed. Question is , will they just sit back and allow China upend their dominance??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 7:20pm On Oct 29, 2021
Acjohn:
Nigerians killing their currency.

When it will fall, many will loose

The currency is rather killing Nigerians

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Modernizer: 7:25pm On Oct 29, 2021
beautiful topic. me sef need answers

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by lwisee: 7:30pm On Oct 29, 2021
It will be a welcome development if we can exchange Naira with Yuan directly.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 7:31pm On Oct 29, 2021
lwisee:

Looks like what they're cooking up, without telling us.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 7:32pm On Oct 29, 2021
lwisee:

wink

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by tsdarkside(m): 7:33pm On Oct 29, 2021
newbornmacho:

Agreed. Question is , will they just sit back and allow China upend their dominance??

wetin amelika wan do....??

go to war with china....??
and you think chinese are not aware of that and armin theirselves to the teeth....??

chinese know the past how western nations start wars when you upend their dominance,and are still doing it today in many african nations....

nigeria should learn from china and build up the nigerian army rapidly....
dont demand respect from western nations,make them fear you instead....

they are scared of iran,china....ask yourself why....

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 7:36pm On Oct 29, 2021
tsdarkside:

wetin amelika wan do....??

go to war with china....??
and you think chinese are not aware of that and armin theirselves to the teeth....??

I just feel the greatest nation in history should have an answer to this very obviously serious threat.

Though I know the lily livered Democrats and China Joe Biden will let China walk all over the USA

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by lwisee: 7:41pm On Oct 29, 2021
On the contrary if we are able to exchange Naira with Yuan directly,nobody will buy our local produce anymore,we will all prefer imported products from China even if we have it locally made in Nigeria.
Companies like Innosson will just fold up.

4 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by tsdarkside(m): 7:42pm On Oct 29, 2021
newbornmacho:

I just feel the greatest nation in history should have an answer to this very obviously serious threat.

Though I know the lily livered Democrats and China Joe Biden will let China walk all over the USA

look....you should have free choice to make business with anybody without needin to go through somebody....
this is what whites actualy did....they organised everything,that anything you do must pass through them....

and they can print themselves into oblivion....

20trillion dollars debt....what type of nonesense is that....??
when are they going to get finish payin all that back....

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Afamed: 7:43pm On Oct 29, 2021
From all indication, the $ in your poccession, you don't have any need for them.
Your primary mission Is to create scarcity and sell them at black market.

You are definitely one of the problems in the society.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by tsdarkside(m): 7:44pm On Oct 29, 2021
Afamed:
From all indication, the $ in your poccession, you don't have any need for them.

i dont think their is a law against hoardin dollars....

4 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 7:50pm On Oct 29, 2021
lwisee:
On the contrary if we are able to exchange Naira with Yuan directly,nobody will buy our local produce anymore,we will all prefer imported products from China even if we have it locally made in Nigeria.
Companies like Innosson will just fold up.

Nice perspective. But China must still buy things from us nah...plus government can step in with policies to prevent that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 7:51pm On Oct 29, 2021
Afamed:

Or maybe I'm protecting my money from Nigeria's runaway inflation and bottomless naira devaluation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Modernizer: 7:54pm On Oct 29, 2021
Afamed:

So those buying gold, or platinum they intend to sell for a profit are also troubling the society...upside down logic sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 7:55pm On Oct 29, 2021
Modernizer:

So those buying gold, or platinum they intend to sell for a profit are also troubling the society...upside down logic sir

Nice one

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by HarunaWest(m): 7:57pm On Oct 29, 2021
newbornmacho:

Or maybe I'm protecting my money from Nigeria's runaway inflation and bottomless naira devaluation
You protect your money by investing in business ventures or buying shares/stocks from thriving industries. You hoard another country's currency and call that investment.
That means you think lile those politicians that would steal our resources and export hard currency to switzerland instead of using such funds to develop our economy.
Its Nigerians that are killing Nigeria not the west.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by lwisee: 8:00pm On Oct 29, 2021
Guys, I found this on the eNaira design paper on the eNaira website (enaira.gov.ng).
Can someone give a better explanation

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 8:00pm On Oct 29, 2021
HarunaWest:

You protect your money by investing in business ventures or buying shares/stocks from thriving industries. You hoard another country's currency and call that investment.
That means you think lile those politicians that would steal our resources and export hard currency to switzerland instead of using such funds to develop our economy.
Its Nigerians that are killing Nigeria not the west.

Currencies are also traded as commodities , so what the f are you saying?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Modernizer: 8:02pm On Oct 29, 2021
lwisee:
Guys, I found this on the eNaira design paper on the eNaira website (enaira.gov.ng).

theyre likely playing with the chinese playbook as well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 8:04pm On Oct 29, 2021
lwisee:

My hunch was right. They're thinking along the same lines the Chinese. They want to upend the dollar and only China can be giving them that advice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Afamed: 8:05pm On Oct 29, 2021
newbornmacho:

Your mission is not about protecting your Naira against devaluation but primarily about hoarding the $ and selling at higher exchange rate

When tomorrow, you genuinely need the $ and someone sells for you at high rate, you will still be the same to criticize Govt
Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 8:06pm On Oct 29, 2021
Afamed:

Your mission is not about protecting your Naira against devaluation but primarily about holding the $ and selling at higher exchange rate

When tomorrow, you genuinely need the $ and someone sells for you at high rate, you will still be the same to criticize Govt

So it's now wrong to trade in commodities, is this not forex trading, and why are you against forex trading?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Modernizer: 8:08pm On Oct 29, 2021
Afamed:

Your mission is not about protecting your Naira against devaluation but primarily about hoarding the $ and selling at higher exchange rate

Is he doing anything illegal?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Afamed: 8:12pm On Oct 29, 2021
newbornmacho:

So it's now wrong to trade in commodities, is this not forex trading, and why are you against forex trading?
It's simple you are one of those creating artificial scarcity thereby creating creating unnecessary high exchange rate. It's called hoarding for commodity you don't need
Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by Afamed: 8:17pm On Oct 29, 2021
Modernizer:

Is he doing anything illegal?
Do you still need to ask? Why hoarding a product you don't need thereby creating unnecessary hardship for those who genuinely need it

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by joyandfaith: 8:22pm On Oct 29, 2021
newbornmacho:
The cbn has rolled out its much touted e naira programme. And though you could dismiss it as another Nigerian white elephant project, I counsel you to look well before that leap.

First, context is everything.

This roll-out is not happening in a vacuum. Notably, the Chinese recently started their own e-yuan project test run and that is what should get your attention.

The Chinese have not been shy of saying they're trying to bypass US money monopoly by this digital thing . With their e-yuan, peer to peer international payments can be made without passing through the dollar denominated SWIFT international money transfer system.
That means US financial sanctions lose their teeth. That means the dollar loses its strangle hold on nations like Iran, Venezuela, Cuba and ....quite honestly everyone ultimately.

If this happens, the demand for dollar would plunge and its value would follow suit.

Is it a coincidence that the Chinese are trying to open banks in nigeria at the same time that the cbn is starting e-naira? I think not.

The Chinese will apply all their pressure to co-opt nations into their digital payment system. Nigerias imports from China will be traded in e- yuan and the dollar will depreciate against the naira.

Let's be clear, I lose if that happens, having a significant dollar stash. So I'm not like wishing for it, but this is what my gut tells me. Otherwise why has the naira suddenly appreciated in the past 2 days and is now at 568 as against 575 to the dollar ?

I would appreciate better minds commenting on this , let's know if finally the naira is turning the corner and we should all sell off our dollars.

As long as US is centre of international trade, dollar will be in force till another world war is fought. If US and his team win the war, dollar remains aa world major currency.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 8:31pm On Oct 29, 2021
Afamed:

It's simple you are one of those creating artificial scarcity thereby creating creating unnecessary high exchange rate. It's called hoarding for commodity you don't need

Oga...forex trading is not illegal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Sell My Dollars Now? by newbornmacho(m): 8:31pm On Oct 29, 2021
joyandfaith:

As long as US is centre of international trade, dollar will be in force till another world war is fought. If US and his team win the war, dollar remains aa world major currency.

That was seems to have started in cold War format

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Make Up To $50 Every Day On UHRS (microsoft-owned Company) From Nigeria / . / Tiktok Creator Funds, Are Nigerians Eligible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.