Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 - Travel (377) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 (1050650 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) (380) ... (631) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Fabmummy: 12:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
Hi, please does any know how long it takes Lagos VFS to get back after passport submission? Thanks in advance
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ednut1(m): 2:12pm On Jan 20, 2023
NuCypher:

I disagree with you on this. You are the exception, not the rule. The standard pipeline is to work so-called

In any case, I never got a job in Canada from Nigeria. I came to Canada for school, applied to jobs for some months after school, and ended up in my desired field with way more than my desired salary. That's also a pathway. Yours, whereby you got a job from Nigeria, is super rare and will not happen to a sizeable handful. Heck, out of 10, it won't happen to 9. Selling that narrative as the likely or plausible scenario for the majority is just outright inconsiderate.

Finally, working so-called survival jobs is not a bad thing and, more importantly, it's not unusual in the Canadian job market, even if it's not necessarily what everyone majority.
well said. The so called survival job many people I know started with was remote customer care. But to some survival jobs means factory work.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by tshtsh: 3:05pm On Jan 20, 2023
NuCypher:

I disagree with you on this. You are the exception, not the rule. The standard pipeline is to work so-called survival jobs before getting that appropriate (or desired) job. There's no other way you want to spin it.

The problem is in thinking that working so-called survival jobs is denigrating. Working factory jobs isn't the only option available. There are also respectable remote "survival" jobs, and for some other people, the pay is actually what makes it a survival job, not the job itself. In fact, this is pretty much the case for the majority since most people would never really land that lucrative job to start with. If you were working an oil company job paying you over 40m per annum in Nigeria and then moved to Canada to take up a customer service role paying you 45k CAD, then that clearly is a survival job. But if you were working a customer service job in Nigeria earning 4m per annum, and then landed another customer service job in Canada paying you 45k CAD, then that clearly is no survival job. You have, in fact, simply landed in your field of work and should work your way up from there. "Survival" merely depends on the context.

In any case, I never got a job in Canada from Nigeria. I came to Canada for school, applied to jobs for some months after school, and ended up in my desired field with way more than my desired salary. That's also a pathway. Yours, whereby you got a job from Nigeria, is super rare and will not happen to a sizeable handful. Heck, out of 10, it won't happen to 9. Selling that narrative as the likely or plausible scenario for the majority is just outright inconsiderate.

Finally, working so-called survival jobs is not a bad thing and, more importantly, it's not unusual in the Canadian job market, even if it's not necessarily what everyone must do when they land. Key here is that it's the reality of the Canadian job market. Nonetheless, whoever does it only needs to know that they should keep their focus and continue working towards getting into their desired field, something which will inevitably happen if they keep at it. That's the reality of the majority.

We may not agree on this but a petroleum engineer who trained himself/herself in Nigeria should not be deterred from seeking similar roles in Canada. When I got the PR and was asked when I was moving my answer was consistent "I want to get a software engineering job before I move so I wont have to spend my savings". I got a similar response from people based in Canada about how I have to get canadian experience first and how recruiters won't even consider me when I'm outside canada. The main point is that I believed it was possible and worked towards it before luck shined. Many believe its not possible to get a job in their field right away and don't even try . At the moment I know up to 8 people who landed jobs in their field before even landing in canada (banking, consulting, tech, education, business analysis..). Thus I dont believe this is not a common practice.

To digress a bit, this is not new to me. There are many instances where I have tried to do things and have people (including my close family members) tell me I won't be able to and I proved them wrong. I have come to accept that its just my way of doing things. When I graduated from university and moved to Lagos I told those close to me that I wanted to spend my service year in a tech company to gain relevant experience. They told me it was not possible as NYSC only posts people to schools, local govt offices and other public institutions. I ended up serving as a support software developer at one of nigeria's oldest tech companies. When I was looking for a job I was told to forget about computer science nonsense and follow my uncle who held a govt appointment then so he could fix me somewhere. I ignored that and luckily got retained where I spent the NYSC year. A few months later when I attempted to transition into tech in banking they told me banks only hired entry level employees on contract. Someone who had spent 4 years as a Graduate Assistant in the bank also argued with me and called me liar on nairaland when I mentioned that I was offered a fulltime software engineering position at the bank 4 months after NYSC. At the orientation class we were 72 and 3 of us were offered fulltime positions. When I joined the bank I told colleagues there that I wouldnt be on one level for 4 or 5 years as was the practice. They laughed at me saying they also said the same thing when they joined. FastForward to my 13th month in the bank I got another job while working on a project with a tight deadline. My bosses felt I was key in the project and kept asking me to reconsider what I was trying to do. I told them I cannot spend 5 years on one level as was the practice. I was promoted in the 14th month as they did not want me to leave at that time. Mind you I was an ET working on a mini ERP project for the bank. A GM invited me to find out why i wanted to leave and took me to the ED responsible for technology. This may be unnecessary information but I have seen this play out in different phases of my life. Even in Toronto many people ask me how I was able to live in the condo I currently live in 3 months after coming to the country as they believe a basement is usually the starting point. The american property manager also asked me how I was able to build my credit score from 0 to 748 in three months. This is just me and I believe many people can do much better only if they try. I have tried many things and failed many times but I feel better trying something and not succeeding than not trying at all

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by jjohndoe83: 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
tshtsh:

We may not agree on this but a petroleum engineer who trained himself/herself in Nigeria should not be deterred from seeking similar roles in Canada. When I got the PR and was asked when I was moving my answer was consistent "I want to get a software engineering job before I move so I wont have to spend my savings". I got a similar response from people based in Canada about how I have to get canadian experience first and how recruiters won't even consider me when I'm outside canada. The main point is that I believed it was possible and worked towards it before luck shined...
Too much information...

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Bilingualism: 3:57pm On Jan 20, 2023
Abercrome:

Congratulations! Wow I’m so excited for you. Really feels like someone I know got PPR.
Thank you so much for the encouragement.we are one big family here as well.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Bilingualism: 3:58pm On Jan 20, 2023
Honeysweetest:
oh boy, I remember you oo,chai, God did this jare, Congratulations bro. We are cumming.

cheesy cheesy cheesy yes ooo.
he did actaully.
Thank you.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by aestake: 4:37pm On Jan 20, 2023
Fabmummy:
Hi, please does any know how long it takes Lagos VFS to get back after passport submission? Thanks in advance
It looks like it gonna be three weeks for us. Turned the pp in on January 6.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Sleek05(f): 6:44pm On Jan 20, 2023
Submitted since December 12 (6 weeks) and I'm still waiting. It can range from 3 weeks to 2 months, depending on how lucky you get.

aestake:

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Sleek05(f): 6:45pm On Jan 20, 2023
Please anyone that got their passport back from Lagos VFS recently should share their timeline to guide others.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 20, 2023
tshtsh:

We may not agree on this but a petroleum engineer who trained himself/herself in Nigeria should not be deterred from seeking similar roles in Canada. When I got the PR and was asked when I was moving my answer was consistent "I want to get a software engineering job before I move so I wont have to spend my savings". I got a similar response from people based in Canada about how I have to get canadian experience first and how recruiters won't even consider me when I'm outside canada. The main point is that I believed it was possible and worked towards it before luck shined. Many believe its not possible to get a job in their field right away and don't even try . At the moment I know up to 8 people who landed jobs in their field before even landing in canada (banking, consulting, tech, education, business analysis..). Thus I dont believe this is not a common practice.

To digress a bit, this is not new to me. There are many instances where I have tried to do things and have people (including my close family members) tell me I won't be able to and I proved them wrong. I have come to accept that its just my way of doing things. When I graduated from university and moved to Lagos I told those close to me that I wanted to spend my service year in a tech company to gain relevant experience. They told me it was not possible as NYSC only posts people to schools, local govt offices and other public institutions. I ended up serving as a support software developer at one of nigeria's oldest tech companies. When I was looking for a job I was told to forget about computer science nonsense and follow my uncle who held a govt appointment then so he could fix me somewhere. I ignored that and luckily got retained where I spent the NYSC year. A few months later when I attempted to transition into tech in banking they told me banks only hired entry level employees on contract. Someone who had spent 4 years as a Graduate Assistant in the bank also argued with me and called me liar on nairaland when I mentioned that I was offered a fulltime software engineering position at the bank 4 months after NYSC. At the orientation class we were 72 and 3 of us were offered fulltime positions. When I joined the bank I told colleagues there that I wouldnt be on one level for 4 or 5 years as was the practice. They laughed at me saying they also said the same thing when they joined. FastForward to my 13th month in the bank I got another job while working on a project with a tight deadline. My bosses felt I was key in the project and kept asking me to reconsider what I was trying to do. I told them I cannot spend 5 years on one level as was the practice. I was promoted in the 14th month as they did not want me to leave at that time. Mind you I was an ET working on a mini ERP project for the bank. A GM invited me to find out why i wanted to leave and took me to the ED responsible for technology. This may be unnecessary information but I have seen this play out in different phases of my life. Even in Toronto many people ask me how I was able to live in the condo I currently live in 3 months after coming to the country as they believe a basement is usually the starting point. The american property manager also asked me how I was able to build my credit score from 0 to 748 in three months. This is just me and I believe many people can do much better only if they try. I have tried many things and failed many times but I feel better trying something and not succeeding than not trying at all
Seems like you were amongst the chosen because you got your degree abroad, I bet most who got rejected were with a Nigerian degree, you agree?
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Fabmummy: 7:23pm On Jan 20, 2023
aestake:

Thanks for responding. My sister submitted since Dec 5th. They haven’t heard back from them and also not able to track it online. Thats why i am asking to know how long it takes or if there’s anything they can do
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ednut1(m): 7:32pm On Jan 20, 2023
onyeadurunujoel:

Seems like you were amongst the chosen because you got your degree abroad, I bet most who got rejected were with a Nigerian degree, you agree?
Degree does not matter to these people its your work experience that matters. You can have Harvard and Oxford degree and be a shitty employee/incompetent.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by ednut1(m): 7:40pm On Jan 20, 2023

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by NuCypher: 8:22pm On Jan 20, 2023
tshtsh:

You said as much when you mentioned that out of 72 people only 3 of you were offered full-time positions. Again, that makes it very obvious it's not the rule, but the exception. You can't possibly mean that all 72 persons could have been offered full-time positions. There's a reason that was difficult to achieve in the first place, and it's not all down to the effort that anyone puts in. I hope that puts what follows in context.

The reality of the Canadian job market is intense competition among highly-skilled immigrants, unequal opportunities in different domains, and underemployment in many institutions. You would agree with me that the proportion of job opportunities in Tech in Canada is very high compared to many other fields. Perhaps that's one of the reasons you were able to secure job from your home country? I bet if you looked at the number of people getting jobs from their home country before migration, Tech would top the list. Evidently, it's a booming economy in Canada and employers only need to do coding interviews to assess the skill of the applicants. Compare this with many other positions where they would often require that you have "Canadian experience", how is an immigrant in their home country supposed to scale this barrier? And please don't say "Canadian experience" is not a thing like many woke LinkedIn influencers are wont to say. Even the Ontario Human Rights Commission realizes this is a [url=https://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/policy-removing-%E2%80%9Ccanadian-experience%E2%80%9D-barrier]thing[/url].

The proportion of you guys who get jobs from your home country is very small. And please don't put that to your own effort. It's small for a reason and that reason is not because job applicants are not putting in their best while applying. Certainly not. It is small because many employers are unlikely to consider experience acquired outside of Canada (refer to the link above). Of course there are exceptions, and it's because government institutions are desperately trying to eliminate the barriers that prevent these exceptions. It is also not unusual that exceptions are made in fields like Tech for the same reason I mentioned above.

You may have set your own mind on things and finally realized them, but that doesn't suddenly make it the rule. Your case and those of a few others don't make it such that reality suddenly changes. Reality is what it is. That doesn't make it bad. It just makes it such that those coming into this country have a realistic expectation and don't beat themselves up for not getting a job from their home country.

15 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by naijainstinct: 8:27pm On Jan 20, 2023
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by canadaishome: 8:50pm On Jan 20, 2023
IyaBaxy:

Thanks a lot for your advice @CanadaIsHome! Sent our passports to London Visa Office via London VFS where I submitted my biometrics. We initially had some issues with mix-up about transmission fees for the other family members but I received emails earlier today from the London VO and vfs that the decision envelopes are ready for collection. It took just 2 days IRCC London! Glory to God!!!

Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Sleek05(f): 9:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
Did they get any emails, or nothing at all? If nothing at all, then she should be worried. Most passports submitted in December are stuck in Ghana. I got a number of emails to that effect, so confirm... but a 7-8 week timeline is possible.

Fabmummy:

Thanks for responding. My sister submitted since Dec 5th. They haven’t heard back from them and also not able to track it online. Thats why i am asking to know how long it takes or if there’s anything they can do
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by gbems90: 9:09pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sleek05:
Did they get any emails, or nothing at all? If nothing at all, then she should be worried. Most passports submitted in December are stuck in Ghana. I got a number of emails to that effect, so confirm... but a 7-8 week timeline is possible.

Good evening. Seems we submitted around same time, I submitted mine December 13th and the last email I got was 22nd. Each time I track, it says “your processed passport has been forwarded to Canada visa office on 22/12/2022.

Did you get any email regarding passports being stuck at Ghana? My travel date is fast approaching and I want to be sure of what to do next
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by aestake: 9:27pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sleek05:
Submitted since December 12 (6 weeks) and I'm still waiting. It can range from 3 weeks to 2 months, depending on how lucky you get.

My friend submitted Dec 29 in Abuja; he had it in his hands Jan 15.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Sleek05(f): 10:03pm On Jan 20, 2023
gbems90:

Good evening. Seems we submitted around same time, I submitted mine December 13th and the last email I got was 22nd. Each time I track, it says “your processed passport has been forwarded to Canada visa office on 22/12/2022.

Did you get any email regarding passports being stuck at Ghana? My travel date is fast approaching and I want to be sure of what to do next

Yea, we are probably batched together. The last update I got was on the 22nd as well. Same message. You can't really do anything but wait and hope for the best. Messaging them is a waste of time, they only give generic responses. If it gets too close, you may need to reschedule your flight.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Sleek05(f): 10:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
aestake:

My friend submitted Dec 29 in Abuja; he had it in his hands Jan 15.

Some people are lucky. I hear Abuja is better as well.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by deelizabeth93(f): 10:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
TWoods:

They did point to a specific point - reasonable evidence of fraud and this is not a generic mail at all. It is highly unlikely that they will make this claim without going through a painstaking investigation. It is incredibly hard to go from a 6.5 to an 8 within a couple of weeks on a language test.

Lol. It isn't. I practically dragged my husband to read every night and I was his personal tutor. It is possible. I read for about 2 weeks myself and had 8. Unless you are someone scared of English language, then it is understandable.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by pristinee: 10:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
who else keeps getting this error page on IRCC,? It is almost impossible to do anything on the site without getting this error page

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Fabmummy: 10:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sleek05:

Will confirm with her. Thank you
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by vizioo: 2:09am On Jan 21, 2023
tshtsh:

You seem dismissive of everyone who posts here because you have had more experiences in Canada, and you know a few people who confirm your beliefs about this situation. That's fair enough. But maybe you'd take me more seriously since I have been in Canada for almost 15 years (and worked a survival job for some of those years).

As @NuCypher pointed out, your story is not the norm, and it really doesn't matter that you know friends of friends who have similar stories. Also, the notion that people are where they are (or that they get the opportunities they get) solely based on the effort they put in is one of the most dangerous narratives in society today. You could have been job searching at a time when the demand was high; your UK credentials could have helped; the fact that you were so established in Nigeria could have also been a factor - the point is that there are SO many other variables (apart for you "trying" ) that helped you get where you are today.

I respectfully disagree with most of the points you used to justify a soft landing, but I guess that's what your experience (and that of the people around you) has been. Of course, that view may broaden as time passes and you talk to more people.

To everyone on this forum, I want to say what a great community this is. I wish I had known about it while processing my application a few years back! I'm only here now because I am helping someone with their application. Reading through this forum allows me to monitor the timelines since people are so kind to post important updates.

Good luck to everyone!

15 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Ladygracy: 4:57am On Jan 21, 2023
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Blissany1(f): 5:06am On Jan 21, 2023
Profgordons:

Are you trying to use a Dollar card?

Yes, but not going through
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Blissany1(f): 5:08am On Jan 21, 2023
nymphomaniac:
how have you been trying to pay?

I tried using a dollar card but it isn't going through, I also tried using the pay4me app but the rate I'm seeing there is kind of high
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Royrey: 5:57am On Jan 21, 2023
This is quite an inspiration. 'Trying somethingand nit succeeding than not trying at all'.
tshtsh:

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Maria96: 6:40am On Jan 21, 2023
Ladygracy:
Was scrolling through study thread and saw ppr announcements and I want to know if someone can also get PPR via study route, I always believed it was only through EE or pnp that someone can get ppr.
PPR means passport request is applicable to all types of Canadian Visa

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Savagethe21st(m): 7:32am On Jan 21, 2023
Please guys the prove of fund for one person which is 13,310 cad, can you show them in naira in your bank account which is about 4million using cbn rate. Or must you convert it to their currency and show them which will be 7 mil using black market rate?
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 by Profgordons(m): 7:49am On Jan 21, 2023
Savagethe21st:
Please guys the prove of fund for one person which is 13,310 cad, can you show them in naira in your bank account which is about 4million using cbn rate. Or must you convert it to their currency and show them which will be 7 mil using black market rate?
They only know CBN rate

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) (380) ... (631) (Reply)

Usa Visit Visa / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.