Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions (7338 Views)

Catholic Church, Market, Houses Collapse In Benue State. Many Injured / Three-storey Building, Prison Wall Collapse In Onitsha / Ambode visits scene of school building collapse in Lagos Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by PediakAuthor: 10:02am On Nov 02, 2021
In the early hours of yesterday, 1/11/21, just before the breaking news of the collapsed building in Ikoyi. I was passing by a construction site (a storey building) in my area - it seems like an event hall to me.

I decided to branch the site - just to say hi to the bricklayers and the casual workers, and perhaps to learn new things.

I approached them by saying; "how far na? How the work dey go? Me self, I be Engineer o, I just say make I come see wetin una dey do 4 here." I said.

Immediately, conducting a visual inspection on the site, I noticed the low quality of the blocks on ground, most of them were broken, I got more curious and inquisitive. It was so obvious that the quantities of sand were more than the cement, and by the matter of fact, some of the blocks were already broken perhaps during the process of offloading the substandard blocks.

I took a step further to conduct a simple strength test (static pendulum swing on a broken piece of block) and impact test (punch) on an unbroken block. The Broken piece of block failed the first strength test woefully - rated about 20% strength.
For the second test, that is, impact test, I used my hand to punch the block (the Anthony Joshua style) grin, sincerely, I did not apply much force, the block scattered with just a little blow. OMG. I was bothered about the situation.

Some of the site workers were looking at me during the process.

I was actually concerned about the structure standing the test of time... so to say, I started challenging the bricklayers that why would they use such blocks for building? I said that's the major reasons for building collapse in Nigeria, and that innocent people and random visitors could be the victim of such negligence in the future. I specifically said; "where 2 bags of cements were to be used, people would use 1 bag just to cut cost."
And most times, that's why you see cracks on buildings after it has absorbed little raindrops. It's a RED SIGN for its structural sustainability.
One of them replied, "na so the supplier bring them come give us o", another worker said; "e fit be say na rain cause am..." lipsrsealed

I said in my mind; "shey awon eleyi normal sha ? "

I left the site so bothered. Afterwards, I approached an elderly man that resides around the site and narrated the whole story to him and his company; how the blocks were looking so substandard and how I conducted 2 strength tests on the block - and they failed woefully.

The elder man pointed at another sets of blocks to me; he said; "those substandard blocks were made with machines, but these strong blocks were made with hands." Lo and behold, by the time I conducted a strength test on these second sets of blocks, they were much more stronger than the former, with a rating of about 80-95% strength. I gave it a punch, but with no effect.

I left the area, quite sober; I started thinking about the self-wickedness of humanity, and something came to my mind, that; God is not wicked, God does not do bad deeds, wickedness and evils are the handiworks of the heathens, and that, someday, such structures being built with substandard materials might collapse and people would start blaming God.

Few hours later, I saw a related news on Nairaland, about the collapsed building in Ikoyi, Lagos State, I become so emotional. I said to myself; Just one man's corrupt act and negligence might have led to this, or maybe someone actually tendered QUANTITY in the place of QUALITY just to maximize profits. All these risks are avoidable if we tend to do the right thing - so that no man would blame God for such unnatural occurrence. It's like a Chess game, a single wrong move might lead to a woeful defeat.

No be say I dey do amebo, it's just the strife against societal irregularities is a collective role, and the masses have a crucial role to play in the cause, likewise the designated governmental bodies.
And by the matter of fact, I've always been writing about related issues as such, in fact, I featured this theme in my 2018 book, titled; "The New Ekiti Dream". As attached,
that's page 17 of my long-term policy book.

On a conclusive note, one of the reasons why we always need to take proactive preventive move is that it could be anybody.

Here's my recommendation;
For the innocent masses not to be caught-up in subsequent flames as such, I think we need to establish a very serious regulatory outfit, perhaps, The Department of Quality Control in each Nigerian State and the concerned subjects MUST be ready to comply and adhere to all the laid-down rules of engagement for the construction ventures.

Secondly, the Government should delegate a special duty to some MOBILE QUALITY CONTROL AGENTS to ensure the regulatory compliance of ALL the construction works in Nigeria. At least, some qualified unemployment youths could be engaged for such processes.

My duty is to WRITE to make it RIGHT!

God bless y'all readers.

Written by Jawolusi Oluwaseun. (The NETISM Author)

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by oloriooko(m): 10:42am On Nov 02, 2021
Thank OP for your insight but i have this for you:
1. The said building in view was approved to go 15 suspended floors but it went 21, as a result, the foundation must have been designed to withstand 15 suspended floors NOT 21.
A collapse in NOT necessarily as a result of block works but majorly reinforcement used. The bedrock of this collapse is in the foundation design and the Developer probably ignored voice of reasoning and imported white guys to continue the work thinking they know better.
Structural defects vary in degrees but this collapse is from the foundation not block work.
I can only say this much now cuz investigation is currently on-going and I pray God console families of the victims.

13 Likes

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by PediakAuthor: 11:14am On Nov 02, 2021
oloriooko:
1. The said building in view was approved to go 15 suspended floors but it went 21, as a result, the foundation must have been designed to withstand 15 suspended floors NOT 21.
A collapse in NOT necessarily as a result of block works but majorly reinforcement used. The bedrock of this collapse is in the foundation design and the Developer probably ignored voice of reasoning and imported white guys to continue the work thinking they know better.
Structural defects vary in degrees but this collapse is from the foundation not block work.
I can only say this much now cuz investigation is currently on-going and I pray God console families of the victims.
Thanks for your points, my post is not necessarily directed to the most recent collapsed building in Lagos, but to our recalcitrant attitudes as humans.

Alongside, most building cracks could be traceable to defects in foundation courseworks and/or other forms of non-compliance to the structural standards of such an edifice, most especially, in such a riverine terrain.

However, the question is that, as nation-builders, what viable structures are we currently putting in place in an attempt to guard against subsequent negligence in construction services? Reason being that these related-issues have been recurring over the years.

That question is left for the masses to answer 'coz it's all about us...

8 Likes

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by updatechange(m): 12:19pm On Nov 02, 2021
Naija contractors be like...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by PediakAuthor: 12:42pm On Nov 02, 2021
updatechange:
grin lol... e be like say u wan dey whine me abi... grin this is actually achievable and I would like to see Nigerian builders to embark on edifice as such... Even beyond the Orion factors, this is just one out many beauties of Civil/Structural Engineering, the truss-work on the ground floor looks so fascinating...

Jokes apart, it's 100% possible for this building to stand the test of time. Aside the architectural outlook, the structural Engineers have most of the duties here and the builders must be disciplined enough to adhere to all laid-down design specifications and structural details. I think the project supervisor has more duties to assume here to ensure their compliance.
Jawolusy once likened website building to construction services; reason being that - while building a website, most of the tasks depend on Web Development experts (at the back-end), and not the Web designers that control its outlook at the frontpage. So also, in building/construction technology, the structural Engineers (back-end) have the final say to approve every architectural details.

4 Likes

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Donzion77(m): 12:47pm On Nov 02, 2021
There is nothing that is not collapsing in this our uar :
Economy- collapsing
Security-collapsing
Education-collapsing
Non fulani citizens- collapsing
The only thing that is presently not collapsing is cow ,because this demonic gunment is only concerned about the welfare of his fulani clans men
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by bazzyblings: 12:47pm On Nov 02, 2021
sad
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Gunboysavage(m): 12:47pm On Nov 02, 2021
Oooopz! This matter don do na. Make he rest abeg
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by slawormiir: 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr

Nice write up bros op

Stop involving low budget asss civil/structural engineers

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by PediakAuthor: 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2021
updatechange:
And by the matter of fact, years back, I once designed a relative edifice as such, tho the ground floor ain't inclined (The concrete truss-work)...

However, there would be a lot of structural considerations for the inclined pillar (concrete truss-work) at the ground floor, it's achievable, tho quite outlandish...

1 Like

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by hisgrace090: 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2021
Cutting cornner have been and remain the major issue with major collaps in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Miroslavklose: 12:50pm On Nov 02, 2021
oloriooko:

That is not how building foundation works.

Load bearing capacity of the soil is determined and a foundation is recommended. If you build on recommended foundation, it can handle 30 floors

The issue of adding extra floors or modifying actual building is only to avoid paying more in approval fees, not because of the foundation.

LASPPPA calculates fees based on floors and size of building. Many developers actual do something outside what is approval and this is very common in Lagos State. Very very common in 90% of buildings in Lagos State

3 Likes

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Omniman(m): 12:51pm On Nov 02, 2021
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by PediakAuthor: 12:54pm On Nov 02, 2021
Hneed:
Fake material should be checked mate
Yea... That's why adherence and compliance MUST be ensured and/or enforced...
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by davodyguy: 12:55pm On Nov 02, 2021
Miroslavklose:

Load bearing capacity of the soil is determined and a foundation is recommended. If you build on recommended foundation, it can handle 30 floors

The issue of adding extra floors or modifying actual building is only to avoid paying more in approval fees, not because of the foundation.

LASPPPA calculates fees based on floors and size of building. Many developers actual do something outside what is approval and this is very common in Lagos State. Very very common in 90% of buildings in Lagos State

This is actually very ture.

Close to all developers have different buildings compared with the drawings approved.

This is just to avoid paying more in approval fees, not necessarily because of the foundation
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by patreeq50(m): 12:57pm On Nov 02, 2021
A laundry business located in Akoka and Ebute Metta/Onyigbo is in urgent need of attendant, manager. Please Call 0813. 286. 7579
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by futurevizi(m): 12:59pm On Nov 02, 2021
Nice one gee
Personally I love this recommendation

join my FREELANCER community TV
Let's show how to..
I am giving this away

Just click on the link on my bio.

Holla

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by PediakAuthor: 1:03pm On Nov 02, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr

Nice write up bros op

Stop involving low budget asss civil/structural engineers

Cheers cool
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by GboyegaD(m): 1:26pm On Nov 02, 2021
He should do us a favor by reporting the building to the authorities.
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by abeggnow: 1:51pm On Nov 02, 2021
PediakAuthor:

Thanks for your points, my post is not necessarily directed to the most recent collapsed building in Lagos, but to our recalcitrant attitudes as humans.

Alongside, most building cracks could be traceable to defects in foundation courseworks and/or other forms of non-compliance to the structural standards of such an edifice, most especially, in such a riverine terrain.

However, the question is that, as nation-builders, what viable structures are we currently putting in place in an attempt to guard against subsequent negligence in construction services? Reason being that these related-issues have been recurring over the years.

That question is left for the masses to answer 'coz it's all about us...
there are structures in place to prevent all this especially in lagos but corruption will not allow us get sense.i bought a property in ikeja and right beside my house a man bought a small plot . about a quarter plot. on that plot he is building a 2 story building. anytime people report lagos state will come and seal the place after about a month they will continue work because he has most likely go e to bribe them. latter when the building collapses we will start hearing stories.

2 Likes

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Holluwatarhyor(m): 2:07pm On Nov 02, 2021
kiss
PediakAuthor:
In the early hours of yesterday, 1/11/21, just before the breaking news of the collapsed building in Ikoyi. I was passing by a construction site (a storey building) in my area - it seems like an event hall to me.

I decided to branch the site - just to say hi to the bricklayers and the casual workers, and perhaps to learn new things.

I approached them by saying; "how far na? How the work dey go? Me self, I be Engineer o, I just say make I come see wetin una dey do 4 here." I said.

Immediately, conducting a visual inspection on the site, I noticed the low quality of the blocks on ground, most of them were broken, I got more curious and inquisitive. It was so obvious that the quantities of sand were more than the cement, and by the matter of fact, some of the blocks were already broken perhaps during the process of offloading the substandard blocks.

I took a step further to conduct a simple strength test (static pendulum swing on a broken piece of block) and impact test (punch) on an unbroken block. The Broken piece of block failed the first strength test woefully - rated about 20% strength.
For the second test, that is, impact test, I used my hand to punch the block (the Anthony Joshua style) grin, sincerely, I did not apply much force, the block scattered with just a little blow. OMG. I was bothered about the situation.

Some of the site workers were looking at me during the process.

I was actually concerned about the structure standing the test of time... so to say, I started challenging the bricklayers that why would they use such blocks for building? I said that's the major reasons for building collapse in Nigeria, and that innocent people and random visitors could be the victim of such negligence in the future. I specifically said; "where 2 bags of cements were to be used, people would use 1 bag just to cut cost."
And most times, that's why you see cracks on buildings after it has absorbed little raindrops. It's a RED SIGN for its structural sustainability.
One of them replied, "na so the supplier bring them come give us o", another worker said; "e fit be say na rain cause am..." lipsrsealed

I said in my mind; "shey awon eleyi normal sha ? "

I left the site so bothered. Afterwards, I approached an elderly man that resides around the site and narrated the whole story to him and his company; how the blocks were looking so substandard and how I conducted 2 strength tests on the block - and they failed woefully.

The elder man pointed at another sets of blocks to me; he said; "those substandard blocks were made with machines, but these strong blocks were made with hands." Lo and behold, by the time I conducted a strength test on these second sets of blocks, they were much more stronger than the former, with a rating of about 80-95% strength. I gave it a punch, but with no effect.

I left the area, quite sober; I started thinking about the self-wickedness of humanity, and something came to my mind, that; God is not wicked, God does not do bad deeds, wickedness and evils are the handiworks of the heathens, and that, someday, such structures being built with substandard materials might collapse and people would start blaming God.

Few hours later, I saw a related news on Nairaland, about the collapsed building in Ikoyi, Lagos State, I become so emotional. I said to myself; Just one man's corrupt act and negligence might have led to this, or maybe someone actually tendered QUANTITY in the place of QUALITY just to maximize profits. All these risks are avoidable if we tend to do the right thing - so that no man would blame God for such unnatural occurrence. It's like a Chess game, a single wrong move might lead to a woeful defeat.

No be say I dey do amebo, it's just the strife against societal irregularities is a collective role, and the masses have a crucial role to play in the cause, likewise the designated governmental bodies.
And by the matter of fact, I've always been writing about related issues as such, in fact, I featured this theme in my 2018 book, titled; "The New Ekiti Dream". As attached,
that's page 17 of my long-term policy book.

On a conclusive note, one of the reasons why we always need to take proactive preventive move is that it could be anybody.

Here's my recommendation;
For the innocent masses not to be caught-up in subsequent flames as such, I think we need to establish a very serious regulatory outfit, perhaps, The Department of Quality Control in each Nigerian State and the concerned subjects MUST be ready to comply and adhere to all the laid-down rules of engagement for the construction ventures.

Secondly, the Government should delegate a special duty to some MOBILE QUALITY CONTROL AGENTS to ensure the regulatory compliance of ALL the construction works in Nigeria. At least, some qualified unemployment youths could be engaged for such processes.

My duty is to WRITE to make it RIGHT!

God bless y'all readers.

Written by Jawolusi Oluwaseun. (The NETISM Author)
Boss.....I'm a civil engineer,you can call me if you have a project and need more hands.
Thanks...God bless

1 Like

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Jonathan2Edirin(m): 2:08pm On Nov 02, 2021
Alots of factors determines building collapse, most exspecially the soil structure, foundation, supervision, quality of materials, skilled personnel, pressure, funding, timing, salary payment.....as said, it was meant for 15 floor but later increased might be due to greed, on the part of the owner, the soil bearing capacity, what type of foundation was done, what's the depth, was the project properly supervised by a registered or trusted engineer, was workers paid well, where they pressured to beat up dead line of completion, was qaulity materials used....

1 Like

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by ugotaya: 2:17pm On Nov 02, 2021
House built inside a lady’s apartment in Lagos State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QotqKF1XwE
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Subsea101: 2:27pm On Nov 02, 2021
This is incorrect for this situation. Once the load bearing capacity has been determined, a foundation is recommended to SUIT the proposed type/weight of the intending structure.
If for instance Qty 20 @25m depth piles is deemed fit to carry such a structure, it should be adheard to, if for any reason extra floors/loads will be added, a redesign of the foundation elements is a MUST. Because adding extra weight will take up the factor of safety (FS) already accounted for in the initial design.

You CAN'T use a foundation designed for 15 suspended floors for 21 floors, except the engineers conceptualized further addition in future, and made appropriate provisions for that.

Miroslavklose:

2 Likes

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by PediakAuthor: 2:37pm On Nov 02, 2021
Jonathan2Edirin:
Alots of factors determines building collapse, most exspecially the soil structure, foundation, supervision, quality of materials, skilled personnel, pressure, funding, timing, salary payment.....as said, it was meant for 15 floor but later increased might be due to greed, on the part of the owner, the soil bearing capacity, what type of foundation was done, what's the depth, was the project properly supervised by a registered or trusted engineer, was workers paid well, where they pressured to beat up dead line of completion, was qaulity materials used....
You have good points here, with respect to your professional insights... Cheers...
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Subsea101: 2:40pm On Nov 02, 2021
Excellent points comrade

Jonathan2Edirin:

1 Like

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by Cchuks27(m): 2:40pm On Nov 02, 2021
Cchuks27:
This building didn't collapse on Friday, Saturday or Sunday but had to collapse on Monday when the Engineers were meeting. Hmm, I hope this matter is thoroughly investigated and someone is held accountable. I suspect an aggrieved Engineer or contractor caused it.
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by gbishman: 2:47pm On Nov 02, 2021
NSE and COREN should live up to their responsibility. It not enough to collect registration and license fees. This is embarrassing

2 Likes

Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by ben1daEbiri(m): 3:40pm On Nov 02, 2021
Miroslavklose:

I agree with you but the problem with this system is that it toys with the safety factor. If doesn't necessarily mean the structure would collapse immediately but will obviously not meet the required lifespan design of the structure. If your plan says 15 floors and gets approved while the intent is 21 floors and soil test says it can withstand 25 floors it greatly impacts on the safety factor, this may not be much but shouldn't be shoved aside. Logic says the higher the safety factor the better. Before approval is given isn't the soil test result provided alongside it? My point is little tweaks in design after approval might affect a structure's strength even though it may not be much. I think whatever design you submitted for approval should strictly be adhered to.

This is only my suggestion. I'm not a civil engineer but a final year Petroleum Engineering student so I'm open to learn from anyone.
Re: The Issues Of Building-Collapse In Nigeria: Recommended Solutions by ben1daEbiri(m): 3:42pm On Nov 02, 2021
Subsea101:
This is incorrect for this situation. Once the load bearing capacity has been determined, a foundation is recommended to SUIT the proposed type/weight of the intending structure.
If for instance Qty 20 @25m depth piles is deemed fit to carry such a structure, it should be adheard to, if for any reason extra floors/loads will be added, a redesign of the foundation elements is a MUST. Because adding extra weight will take up the factor of safety (FS) already accounted for in the initial design.

You CAN'T use a foundation designed for 15 suspended floors for 21 floors, except the engineers conceptualized further addition in future, and made appropriate provisions for that.

Exactly the point I was trying to make with a reply to a comment earlier

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Various Plots For Sale @ Ajah Axis, Lekki / Victory Park Estate, Osapa-london, Lekki. Few Plots Available / Bond Steptile Stone Coated Roofing Sheet In Abuja Municipal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.