Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? (15355 Views)

Why Do Ladies Dominate The Banking Sector...? / How To Further My Career In Canada With Nigeria HND / Massive Job Loss Looms In The Banking Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 06, 2021
Good evening guys.

I studied Biochemistry at the University and was recently employed in one of the banks in Nigeria.
I'm not a contract staff so the pay is quite okay for entry level.
Seeing the way most of my mates from school are still struggling to get jobs with our B.Sc Biochem certificate, I know for sure that I'm really lucky to be where I am because the job market in Nigeria is not favourable to my course at all.

Please anyone with prior experience, those that have been in my shoes before, how did you advance in your banking career? What courses can I take? What plans do I make? How many years will you advise I dedicate to different phases in this career?

Please I need as much tips as I can get.
I'm really confused. I love my job and I want to grow but I don't know how to go about it seeing that I studied an entirely different course from what I do now.

Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

14 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by dawnomike(m): 9:56pm On Nov 06, 2021
Janeeee:
Good evening guys.

I studied Biochemistry at the University and was recently employed in one of the banks in Nigeria.
Seeing the way most of my mates from school are still struggling to get jobs with our B.Sc Biochem certificate, I know for sure that I'm really lucky to be where I am because the job market in Nigeria is not favourable to my course at all.

Please anyone with prior experience, those that have been in my shoes before, how did you advance in your banking career? What courses can I take? What plans do I make? How many years will you advise I dedicate to different phases in this career?

I'm really confused. I love my job and I want to grow but I don't know how to go about it seeing that I studied an entirely different course from what I do now.

get your ICAN or ACCA certifications... Then ensure you do not stay put in one bank, move from one bank to the other over time (to a higher position).

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Nothingserious: 10:07pm On Nov 06, 2021
Janeeee:
Good evening guys.

If in business development, get an MBA, a master’s in Biochem will not help you much in that line. Then add ACIB and ACCA/ ICAN.

Those are more than enough as per paper qualification even to become an ED.

But the real Mccoy is who you know that can help you mobilize huge deposit and good returns on contribution margin. That’s it.

If you are in a non-business development unit, then pursue MBA and certifications in that line.
And pray to God nothing like fraud you aren’t aware of , perhaps from your team members could sweep you out of the system .

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 06, 2021
dawnomike:
get your ICAN or ACCA certifications... Then ensure you do not stay put in one bank, move from one bank to the other over time (to a higher position).

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate �

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 06, 2021
Nothingserious:

If in business development, get an MBA, a master’s in Biochem will not help you much in that line. Then add ACIB and ACCA/ ICAN.

Those are more than enough as per paper qualification even to become an ED.

But the real Mccoy is who you know that can help you mobilize huge deposit and good returns on contribution margin. That’s it.

If you are in a non-business development unit, then pursue MBA and certifications in that line.
And pray to God nothing like fraud you aren’t aware of , perhaps from your team members could sweep you out of the system .

Okay. You've been really helpful
Thanks so much

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Soulouu(m): 1:58pm On Nov 08, 2021
Here to read suggestions
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by slawormiir: 1:58pm On Nov 08, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

Grab my weed to learn
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Boogyman557: 1:59pm On Nov 08, 2021
HOLLY GRAM cool WTF MAN
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by x123xlolls(m): 1:59pm On Nov 08, 2021
Goto LinkedIn and create a profile
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 08, 2021
You could do MBA or any professional masters and also you could do ICAN, join professional bodies like ANAN
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by affable4(m): 1:59pm On Nov 08, 2021
Show dedication to the work, be a fast learner, and go for relevant professional exams.

The main thing is your on the work attitude.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by sammirano2: 2:00pm On Nov 08, 2021
Na una no let accountants and bankers see job for the sector. Which kind country be this one? Biochem for bank. Nigeria is AiregiN.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Kindness218: 2:00pm On Nov 08, 2021
I don't have any contribution

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by tutudesz: 2:00pm On Nov 08, 2021
undecided

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by BigDawsNet: 2:01pm On Nov 08, 2021
sad Chai Biochem degree in the US is like riitualist

You make around $94,490/yr

Mehn...I'm surprised you wanna change career when you should have been searching for a way to migrate through post studies....

Anyway goodluck bro

27 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by floss(m): 2:01pm On Nov 08, 2021
H
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Osyxcel(m): 2:02pm On Nov 08, 2021
Janeeee:
Good evening guys.

Depends on your role in the bank. But generally, you can start with ACIB and MBA. Then ICAN, and if you're in a department like Audit, then you can add CISA.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by verybadmouth(m): 2:02pm On Nov 08, 2021
Enjoy your new job. Save up all you can and leave Nigeria for US or Canada for Master's. There you can exploit your potentials to the fullest. See that bank you're working with now at your tender age will use and dump you and make you unemployable because the job market will not be as favourable as it is now that you are young. So save enough money to fund a master's degree in US or Canada. Abeg. No dull yourself oo. You will make it with your biochemistry degree better than working in one yamayama yahoo yahoo Nigeria Bank.

Check my signature for your fastest route to getting your dream job.

10 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by GRACEGLORY: 2:04pm On Nov 08, 2021
… Janeeee, Blockchain is transforming everything ranging from payments transactions to how money is raised even in the private sector.
Blockchain technology now posses a bigger challenge and especially a monstrous threat to the traditional banking…. Welcome to the full blown technology age.
Blockchain is equipped is that it has the capacity to disrupt the over $5T banking industry simply by disintermediating the key services that banks provide that ranges from settlement systemsm, payments, loan to clearances.

Need I say more… Your question sounds like someone asking in year 2002 “Please, how can I equip or upgrade myself to be a better cashier in the banking system.” After Olubukola Saraki introduced ATM in I think 1994 when he was the Chairman of Society Générale Bank of Nigeria (SGBN) before other banks began its use..

Why not look into the near future to build yourself beyond what’s available today for what’s needed tomorrow.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by alphaconde(m): 2:05pm On Nov 08, 2021
bring brewery company accounts

1 Like

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by uxomykaz: 2:06pm On Nov 08, 2021
Get necessary certifications and be strategic in moving from one bank to the other.
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 08, 2021
There are so many bank executives that didn't graduate in economics or finance but they strived in their careers. Check the profiles of former MDs of Uba and Zenith banks, you will be surprised. Even present MD of fbn read veterinary science. What I will advice is for you to seek professional qualifications like CIBN, ICAN, CIPM, ACCA, CFA (if you can) etc and watch yourself rise to the top. The sky is your starting point.

9 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Fiscus105(m): 2:08pm On Nov 08, 2021
dawnomike:

........move from one bank to another to higher levels? Easier to say than done . Not in obodo Nigeria!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Sharatan(m): 2:09pm On Nov 08, 2021
dawnomike:
But before leaving your current bank, make sure you've gotten a job at a new bank already. Because of sapa grin

5 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Focusmind: 2:11pm On Nov 08, 2021
Forget the degree and focus on your career. All those science courses in our universities are waste of time. Nigeria's economy is not productive and diversified to absorb those from natural sciences. I am not discouraging people, but studying natural science courses in Nigeria now is becoming waste of time.

I studied Engineering but couldn't make a breakthrough to secure a place in the oil industry. I got offer with an investment bank, with good starting salary as a trainee after passing the numerous aptitude tests and interviews. I enrolled for ICAN, starting from the foundation papers and qualified. Did masters abroad in finance and have since, became authority in finance and accounting. Currently, I am on my own as a chartered accountant and management consultant.

Science graduates have edge over their art counterparts. As an engineering graduate, we are better placed to pass the aptitude tests because of our strong background in mathematics. Many of my mates that scaled aptitude tests had background in engineering and sciences.

So, learn as much as you could. Go to YouTube and read about your functional area in the bank. You have to put extra efforts. A lot of Bankers majored in disciplines out side the finance and accounting courses.

Lucky you. Once you are able to secure a graduate position in the current Nigeria labor market, just thank your God, as a good career path has been created for you to follow. Those not lucky will be moving from one contract jobs to another; from one low position to another. Please, utilise this opportunity to the fullest. Don't waste it or take it for granted. Use it to build your capacity for the future as learning is a continuous thing.

I am grateful that such path came my way when it did. It is always difficult for people to find their footings in the corporate world once they miss that opportunity of being hired as a graduate trainee in reputable firms like banks or multinational.

Good luck to you!

34 Likes

Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by Mojojojo69(m): 2:13pm On Nov 08, 2021
banking is all about performance

just focus on your JD and be extremely pro active

you can register to become a Charter banker (CIBN)

you will be fine bro

All the best
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by mfm04622: 2:14pm On Nov 08, 2021
The main thing that will help your career is performance. Perform well and the sky is the limit. Luck also play a very important part
Re: How Can I Advance In My Career In The Banking Industry With A Biochem Degree? by jaxxy(m): 2:14pm On Nov 08, 2021
Only one way, bring in huge deposits. U will get manager in record time. Anything else is hallucinations or luck.

Banking in Nigeria is not so professional based unless in very few departments.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Life As A Nurse – The Male Perspective / Please I Need Your Advice On What To Tell My Friend / 5 Ways To Invest In Yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.