Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,022 members, 7,828,596 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? (1119 Views)

Is Polygamy Accepted In Christianity? / RCCG Online Dating App Condemned By Leke Adeboye (Pastor Adeboye's Son) / Is Polygamy Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by erekere(m): 8:07am On Nov 14, 2021
Please do not crucify me for this not because I want to marry a second wife but I found this thought a provoking write up on a Christian platform, it's worth sharing.

POLYGAMY! POLYGAMY!! POLYGAMY!!!
You will all agree with me that one of the most controversial word in Christiandom today is POLYGAMY

Are you a religious scholar? a Pastor? a Theologian? or a born again Christian?.......? Please , feel free to constructively contribute, castigate, correct, admonish, advice or preach........in accordance with the provisions of the Holy Bible (the word of God)

Before I go further, I will like you to have the following questions at the back of your minds.

1). Who was the first person to engage in the act of POLYGAMY?

2). Is POLYGAMY a sin?

3). Did God condemn POLYGAMY?

4). Those that engaged in POLYGAMY, are they in Hell?

5). What is the fate of the polygamous Children?

6). Is marriage a traditional act or religious act?

7). Why do Christians condemn POLYGAMY?

cool. What are the effects of POLYGAMY in Christiandom?

9). Has God changed?

GEAR 1
Lamech was the first man to marry more than one wife, Gen 4:19

GEAR 2
Godly/Holy persons that engaged in POLYGAMY according to the Bible included
Abdon, Judges 12:13-14; Abijah, 2 Chronicles 13-21; Abraham, Gen 16-1-3, Gen 25:1; Ahab, 1 kings 20:1-3; Ahaseurus, Esther 1:9, Ashur, 1 Chronicles 4:5, Belshazzar, Daniel 5:2, Ben-Hadad (who married Ahab's wives), Caleb, 1 Chronicles 2:18-19, David (had 8wives), 1 Samuel 18:27, 25:39, 25:42, 2 Samuel 3:5, 5:13, 12:7-8, 12:24. Eliphaz, Gen 36:11-12. Elkanah, 1 Samuel 1:1-2
Esau, Gen 26:34
Ezra, 4:17-18; Gideon, Judges 8:30....and many more.

We had not fewer than 40 Godly and ungodly men that engaged in POLYGAMY from the Bible. Also, we had not less than 43 POLYGAMY cases from the Bible.

GEAR 3
Had God condemned POLYGAMY?
No! God NEVER did In all the POLYGAMY cases mentioned in the Bible, God did not condemn any except David who snatched Uriah's wife. God said to David ' in 2 Samuel 12:8; I gave your master's house to you, and your master's wives into your arms. I gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more."
Why did God himself say so to David?

GEAR 4
Is POLYGAMY a sin?
Those that engaged in POLYGAMY are they in hell?
Is Abraham in hell? (Luke 16:19-31)
Is Jacob in hell?
Are David, Solomon, Elkanah, Ezra.....@all, in hell?

GEAR 5
Does God permit POLYGAMY? The answer of course is YES! In Genesis 21:10, God said If he (man) marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. In 2 Samuel 12:8. God Himself said to David ,"...I gave your master Wives,........if you need more, I would have given you"

GEAR 6
What is the fate of the polygamous children? Condemned or
Favoured?
Why was Joseph, Samuel, Solomon.... Highly favoured?

GEAR 7.
Before religion there was marriage.
Gen 1:26-28, Gen 2:18-25

The issue of Monogamy was purely the tradition of the western world who were our religious colonial masters. In the land of the White, traditionally, rivalry is a taboo. But the Jews (Israelites) and the Edomites (the blacks) share the same or similar traditions. A widow is not allowed to be seen in the Street, but be remarried to their husbands relatives or friends, Gen 38.

GEAR 8
Why do Christians condemn POLYGAMY?
The new testament completely responded seamlessly on POLYGAMY matters. The new testament talks about every aspect of Christian living except POLYGAMY. Mathew 19:3-9, Jesus spoke about God’s initial plan for man. He condemned divorce but did not condemn POLYGAMY. Paul’s admonishment to Timothy on how to elect Church leadership, just like the case of levites of old (Moses...), 1 Timothy 3. The point of contention here is, If there were no men with more than a wife in the Church, Paul Won't have mentioned it. Also in 1 Corinthians 7:39.

GEAR 9
Effects of POLYGAMY:
POLYGAMY has it merits and demerits in the society and Christiandom at large.
1). In the Society, the Maternal Mortality rate is high in the female folks compared to men. The number of girls birth rate is higher than that of men, and the number of men death rate is higher than that of women. The number of widows keep increasing geometrically adding up to the number of single women in the society.
This leads to increase of infidelity, adultery, and formication in the society compared to the days of our forefathers. So pathetic nowadays to see our single girls fighting with widows for the ownerships of a guy.

2). Religiously, the so-called MONOGAMY has caused more harm than good in Christian-dom. God says in Gen 1:28 'God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground'. But what do we have today? Christians going into family planning. The Israelites lived 430yrs only in Egypt, but Pharaoh became scared because of their rapid growth in population. I can't imaging if they were practicing Family planning and Monogamy.

IBB introduced family planning to Nigeria with a maximum of 4 children to a couple and, was widely embraced mostly by Christians that is 4 children to a couple but, Muslim being naturally a polygamy has an average 2 to 5 wives to a man, meaning 20 children to a family. This have invariably led to increase in population of Muslims far above their Christian counterparts in Nigeria (60% / 40%).
Looking critically, Nigeria is trailing the path of Turkey and old Sudan

Turkey(the biblical Antioch) was a Christian nation overtaken by Muslims because of falsehood of Christian priests.
b.) Very soon Our children, particularly daughters (that we are trying to protect today) will be used as sex slaves because monogamy denied them an opportunity to marry.
C.) There are millions of stranded women in the South and, may not likely get a husband forever because of the arguments against polygamy; whereas hardly can a women be stranded in the North; thanks to polygamy there.

GEAR 10
Has God Changed?
God of Adam, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, .....the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, is the beginning and the end, the Alfa and Omega, He is the same yesterday, today and for ever; has not changed

CONCLUSION
What is the way out?
Christians don't be "Paul when he was Saul'
Pastors, be careful what you preach on the pulpit about POLYGAMY as what you preach, instead of becoming light, rather, it is destroying Christianity
Hosea 4:6, 4:6 my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. "Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the laws of your God, I also will ignore your children.

HE WHO HAS EARS, LET HIM HEAR
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by chatinent: 8:08am On Nov 14, 2021
Why did God make them Adam and Eve? Abi Nkiru dey one side for the garden? It was man who instituted their own marriage types. Man has always wanted more! Insatiable creatures!

1 Like

Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Aonkuuse(m): 8:13am On Nov 14, 2021
Bro it might not be wrong but to be polygamous and remain in faith is something so hard

Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:17am On Nov 14, 2021
erekere:
There are millions of stranded women in the South and, may not likely get a husband forever

Obviously you did not know that this is also A Curse which came from God!

And you obviously do not know God for if You knew Him you would know that He Loves to Speak Only Once! But His Words Resound.

After that He Stays Silent!

Beware of The Silence of The Lord, if ye are wise for as Lawyers and the Bible would have told you, "IT IS BETTER TO OBEY THE LAW THAN TO HAVE TO DEFEND YOURSELF AGAINST IT".
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by AntiChristian: 8:18am On Nov 14, 2021
It is often said that Yahweh/Jehovah/Jesus of the Christians prescribe one man for one woman so how come tens of Prophets/men of God had more than one wives and or concubines?

Cain's son Lamech and Moses had 2 wives. David had 8 wives! Solomon 300 wives and 700 concubines! Gideon had many wives!
Deuteronomy 21:1-17 suggest marriage of multiple wives including captured prisoners gotten from conquests.

Elkanah a godly man and father of Samuel had 2 wives. Abraham, the father of faith had two wives!

In 2 Samuel 12 when the prophet Nathan confronts David over his sin with Bathsheba, we read: "This is what the Lord God of Israel says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I have given you your master's house and your master's wives into your bosom … and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and as if this wasn't enough, I would have given you even more."

Is it that all of these men of God were not guided (by the Holy spirit) in their marriages?

And lastly Yahweh prescribed law to protect first wife in Polygamy- Exo 21:10 "If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights."

Why this law since Yahweh/Jehovah is against polygamy?
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:20am On Nov 14, 2021
Wow! People are not afraid to change God's Laws and go against Him!

Hmm! Woe, man! Woe is Come.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by advanceDNA: 8:26am On Nov 14, 2021
All we Christians of nowadays ask is

if you can fvck plenty women legally...
If you don’t have to give tithe or offering
If Jesus mentioned sex before marriage
Jesus did not mention smoking naaa
Jesus did not mention drinking alcohol is a sin
Jesus did not condemn homosexuality

Everything we are concerned about is how to gratify the desires of the flesh....

I’ve never seen questions like : how many souls do I have to win.? Or how can I fast effectively, how can I worship in truth and spirit...

God dey see all of us ooo..make we continue these wickedness

2 Likes

Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:32am On Nov 14, 2021
When Jesus (God's only begotten Son) talked about marriage he laid emphasis on the beginning where God created One man and One woman the God initiated the first marriage. So Jesus came to redeem mankind so that we can regain what Adam lost, for any of us to have everlasting life we must comply with the standard God set IN THE BEGINNING! Matthew 19:4
Polygamy was allowed because Adam and Eve rebelled against God thinking they can decipher good and evil without God's intervention {Genesis 2:7 compare to 3:1-5} so God allowed time to help mankind learn from the mistakes others made during the time He allowed us try our best in doing what seems good in our sight. The name of the first polygamist is Lamech {Genesis 4:19} and after him many took two wives (including worshipers of God) but God allowed them to learn from experience! Romans 15:4 compare to 1Corinthians 10:11
Today we can all remember the result of polygamy in the lives of Jacob (Leah and Rachel) Levi (Hannah and Peninah) David and Solomon. Surely no one wants to experience the troubles this people encountered.

So if anyone now choose to enter into polygamy after seeing all that then it means the person doesn't have love for the children coming because all the children born in those families suffered the consequences of polygamy.

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Ammishaddai: 8:37am On Nov 14, 2021
People keep looking for excuses to do evil . undecided
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Kayberg: 8:42am On Nov 14, 2021
CHRISTIANITY AND POLYGAMY

Did our LORD JESUS CHRIST ever request that a man who is married to more than one wife before he is converted divorce the other wife/wives, leaving only the first one?

NO. Our LORD JESUS CHRIST never said that.

Indeed, our LORD JESUS CHRIST never said this, contrary to what many today are preaching, hereby making several families commit adultery which our LORD JESUS CHRIST warned us against in His teachings.

The Bible indeed says:

Ecclesiastes 9:9 Live joyfully with the 'wife' whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.

This perhaps is what many misquoted, hereby concluding that a Christian must never take more than a wife:

Matthew 19:3-6 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

If this be, we all know there are no other genders created by GOD other than male and female. So GOD has only approved that a male marries a female just as GOD had ordained and speculated marriage.

GOD is therefore not against Christians marrying more than one wife. The 'one-man-one-wife' charge given as mentioned in the Bible, which was misquoted by many preachers today was by Paul, unto:

Bishops:

1 Timothy 3:2
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

And to Deacons:

1 Timothy 3:12
Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

And today, not all Christians are Bishops and/or Deacons.

Because no minister of GOD will be able to properly control two families under him without getting distracted and even offended, which is mainly due to jealousy and misunderstanding among the respective families, under each wife if they happen not to be united.

If you know you cannot cater for, take care of, nor train your families properly, DO NOT ATTEMPT to take more than one wife. For, your wife/wives and children needs your training, love, care and attention every wife/wives and children deserve to have and male a loving and peaceful home.

What our LORD JESUS CHRIST spoke against is divorce for no tangible reason except for infidelity.

Matthew 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

Matthew 5:32
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mark 10:12
And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

For GOD is not against polygamy. If GOD had been against polygamy, He won't have said the following to king David as sent by prophet Nathan:

2 Samuel 12:7-8 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;
And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

Where GOD warned about too many wives is this, and it is to kings, and it is for their heart not to turn away from GOD:

Deuteronomy 17:14-18 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;
Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.
But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.
Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:

So, there is no place in the Bible where GOD instructs any Christian to never take more than one wife or that he who already has more than one wife to send the others away and retain his first only because he is now converted.

Therefore, never let misleaders mislead you to send away your wife or wives because you're now converted and made a child of GOD. Keep your family intact and fed by GOD'S word and not human self made doctrines.

And if you have been misled by self made doctrines to send away your wife/wives because you have been converted and now a Christian, if your wife/wives is/are still within your reach and not married, go and reconcile with her/them.They are yours and belongs to you by the right of marriage and matrimony.

And if you're a second wife, never try to divorce your husband because hee is now converted or because you're now converted because you're his wife by right of matrimony. Rather serve the LORD with your husband and your family because you all are one and must not be separated by human self made doctrines.

And to the young man or woman planning to marry, I will never advise you go into polygamy because you may not be able to handle it. Rather, stick to your wife and or husband and raise a happy home. No cheating, underlooking, undermining nor disrespecting one another.

Let those who have been into polygamy already before their conversion keep their family as well. Let no one be forced into adultery because of self made doctrines.

I hope we are able to understand this as though.

#copied
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Kayberg: 8:46am On Nov 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
When Jesus (God's only begotten Son) talked about marriage he laid emphasis on the beginning where God created One man and One woman the God initiated the first marriage. So Jesus came to redeem mankind so that we can regain what Adam lost, for any of us to have everlasting life we must comply with the standard God set IN THE BEGINNING! Matthew 19:4
Polygamy was allowed because Adam and Eve rebelled against God thinking they can decipher good and evil without God's intervention {Genesis 2:7 compare to 3:1-5} so God allowed time to help mankind learn from the mistakes others made during the time He allowed us try our best in doing what seems good in our sight. The name of the first polygamist is Lamech {Genesis 4:19} and after him many took two wives (including worshipers of God) but God allowed them to learn from experience! Romans 15:4 compare to 1Corinthians 10:11
Today we can all remember the result of polygamy in the lives of Jacob (Leah and Rachel) Levi (Hannah and Peninah) David and Solomon. Surely no one wants to experience the troubles this people encountered.

So if anyone now choose to enter into polygamy after seeing all that then it means the person doesn't have love for the children coming because all the children born in those families suffered the consequences of polygamy.

“And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,”
— Matthew 19:4 (KJV)

JESUS CHRIST was clear enough there.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by advanceDNA: 9:28am On Nov 14, 2021
Kayberg:

“And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,”

This verse you quoted says nothing about the topic..both polygamy and monogamy is a union of male and female only.... So what’s your point??

.don’t get me wrong, I’m not in support of polygamy... but if you are going to use scriptures to drive home a point... do it well..
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Opeyemiextra(f): 9:34am On Nov 14, 2021
2 Tim 3:2 'Husband of but one wife'
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by tctrills: 9:49am On Nov 14, 2021
chatinent:
Why did God make them Adam and Eve? Abi Nkiru dey one side for the garden? It was man who instituted their own marriage types. Man has always wanted more! Insatiable creatures!
You don't use logic to answer questions of faith you use the scripture. Having more than 1 wife is not condemned in the bible.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:51am On Nov 14, 2021
Kayberg:

Critics may say he never said "One man and One woman" that's why further expatiation is needed to clear any doubt.
Thanks may God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:55am On Nov 14, 2021
tctrills:

You don't use logic to answer questions of faith you use the scripture. Having more than 1 wife is not condemned in the bible.

God allowed faithful people to learn from the experience of those who engage in what can bring harm, the laws only emphasize on what could lead moral, mental and spiritual decadence. But when it's sensitive issues like this one God will not dictate but allow time for humans to know why he created one woman for Adam! Romans 15:4; 1Corinthians 10:11

May you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:59am On Nov 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

This verse you quoted says nothing about the topic..both polygamy and monogamy is a union of male and female only.... So what’s your point??

.don’t get me wrong, I’m not in support of polygamy... but if you are going to use scriptures to drive home a point... do it well..

Polygamy is "male and females" or "males and female" or "males and females".

Not, male and female which is undisputable monogamy.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by advanceDNA: 12:08pm On Nov 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Polygamy is "male and females" or "males and female" or "males and females".

Not, male and female which is undisputable monogamy.

U quote out of context.... like I said... I’m not justify polygamy.... I’m just telling your context is wrong....

Jesus use that verse to respond and answer the pharasee’s question on divorce.....there is divorce is polygamy and monogamy as well

..u don’t have to add extra meaning to what Jesus said....
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:15pm On Nov 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

U quote out of context.... like I said... I’m not justify polygamy.... I’m just telling your context is wrong....

Jesus use that verse to respond and answer the pharasee’s question on divorce.....there is divorce is polygamy and monogamy as well

..u don’t have to add extra meaning to what Jesus said....

You are the one who wants to include what was not there.

If you watch Christ's attitude, you would see that he really did not want to Judge the matter as He Said, "He did not Come to Judge" then. That should tell you that He Comes to judge, wahala go plenty.

So what did Christ do?

What He had Always done, which is to SIMPLY LAY THE LAW OF WHAT DO THE COMMANDMENTS SAY?

As I say, it is better to comply with The Law than to defend yourself against it.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by tctrills: 12:31pm On Nov 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

God allowed faithful people to learn from the experience of those who engage in what can bring harm, the laws only emphasize on what could lead moral, mental and spiritual decadence. But when it's sensitive issues like this one God will not dictate but allow time for humans to know why he created one woman for Adam! Romans 15:4; 1Corinthians 10:11

What do you mean by sensitive.
The scriptures were clear, we cannot add or subtract.
God always tells us his desire for us. He wouldn't leave us in the darkness and allow us figure out his comments using our logic.
Their is a grave danger in depending on human wisdom to figure our eternal truths. As Christians we depend on revelation's for eternal truths.
Where God has not spoken, it's wrong for man to judge.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:48pm On Nov 14, 2021
tctrills:

What do you mean by sensitive.
The scriptures were clear, we cannot add or subtract.
God always tells us his desire for us. He wouldn't leave us in the darkness and allow us figure out his comments using our logic.
Their is a grave danger in depending on human wisdom to figure our eternal truths. As Christians we depend on revelation's for eternal truths.
Where God has not spoken, it's wrong for man to judge.

Well the Bible has been completed so anyone talking about Revelations of some other sought now is ADDING to what God says.
Jesus said God created Adam and Eve in the beginning.
Adam was given one wife by the creator so it's wrong to jump that protocol and move on to having more than one wife.
Some women today are having two husbands under one roof and sleeping with both of them, the same is applicable to them! smiley

Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by tctrills: 12:55pm On Nov 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Well the Bible has been completed so anyone talking about Revelations of some other sought now is ADDING to what God says.
Adam was given one wife by the creator so it's wrong to jump that protocol and move on to having more than one wife.
Some women today are having two husbands under one roof and sleeping with both of them, the same is applicable to them! smiley
I lover your logic but you are still depending on human wisdom not revelation.
True, God created Adam and Eve but he did not teach that man can't marry more than one woman that is your own addition.
Going by your argument,if God intends one man one wife then the population of men and women should always be the same.
We can use the argument both ways but it would still be human wisdom.
My point is, the bible never revealed the mind of God in that subject and it's wrong to assume God's reason for creating only one woman for Adam.
The early prophets married many wives and it was not counted unto them as sin.
In fact, in rebuking David, Samuel told him that he was allowed to marry as many wives as he wanted but his sin was in going after another man's wife.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Kayberg: 1:01pm On Nov 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

The issue with some readers is that they don't read properly. And when they read, they don't understand properly.
Check the Bible quote properly.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Kayberg: 1:06pm On Nov 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

John 21 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
²⁴ This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.
²⁵ And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by advanceDNA: 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

You are the one who wants to include what was not there.

If you watch Christ's attitude, you would see that he really did not want to Judge the matter as He Said, "He did not Come to Judge" then. That should tell you that He Comes to judge, wahala go plenty.

So what did Christ do?

What He had Always done, which is to SIMPLY LAY THE LAW OF WHAT DO THE COMMANDMENTS SAY?

As I say, it is better to comply with The Law than to defend yourself against it.

Okay..tell me what extra meaning I added..
Since you are good at implying what Jesus ddnt say
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by paltielx: 1:45pm On Nov 14, 2021
Jesus said that a man will leave his father's house and stike with his wife and they'll be one. It was A MAN and WOWAN not a man and women or the other way round. Mark 10:7,8
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:51pm On Nov 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

Okay..tell me what extra meaning I added..
Since you are good at implying what Jesus ddnt say

You expressly said
advanceDNA:
..both polygamy and monogamy is a union of male and female ONLY...

Whereas polygamy is about "male and females" or "males and female" or "males and females".
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2021
tctrills:

I lover your logic but you are still depending on human wisdom not revelation.
True, God created Adam and Eve but he did not teach that man can't marry more than one woman that is your own addition.
Going by your argument,if God intends one man one wife then the population of men and women should always be the same.
We can use the argument both ways but it would still be human wisdom.
My point is, the bible never revealed the mind of God in that subject and it's wrong to assume God's reason for creating only one woman for Adam.
The early prophets married many wives and it was not counted unto them as sin.
In fact, in rebuking David, Samuel told him that he was allowed to marry as many wives as he wanted but his sin was in going after another man's wife.

Now you're coming to where i want you to be!

Jesus is the only begotten son of God {Matthew 17:5} all those people were prophets through whom God spoke with the Israelites so the Israelites can copy them but today God is speaking to the entire mankind using His only begotten Son no more following what prophets sent to Israelites were doing back then! Hebrews 1:1-2

So if you want to have everlasting life stop thinking about what the prophets sent to Israel did, concentrate on the utterances of Jesus who was sent to SAVE the whole world! John 3:16

Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by tctrills: 2:14pm On Nov 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Now you're coming to where i want you to be!

Jesus is the only begotten son of God {Matthew 17:5} all those people were prophets through whom God spoke with the Israelites so the Israelites can copy them but today God is speaking to the entire mankind using His only begotten Son no more following what prophets sent to Israelites were doing back then! Hebrews 1:1-2

So if you want to have everlasting life stop thinking about what the prophets sent to Israel did, concentrate on the utterances of Jesus who was sent to SAVE the whole world! John 3:16

That's not even the discussion.
You justified your point with the writing of Moss in Genesis and not with the utterances of Christ. So it's a bit dishonest now for you to point me to the utterance of Christ as if you quoted his words and I disagreed.

Since we must all quote Jesus, what did he say about marrying more than 1 wife?
My you have peace
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by advanceDNA: 2:14pm On Nov 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

You expressly said

Whereas polygamy is about "male and females" or "males and female" or "males and females".

U imply what people did not say...

My statement was in response to someone claiming God created male and female automatically means monogamy....

Jesus wasn’t addressing the topic of divorce.. it’s that simple
Re: Is Polygamy Really Condemned By GOD? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:50pm On Nov 14, 2021
tctrills:

That's not even the discussion.
You justified your point with the writing of Moss in Genesis and not with the utterances of Christ. So it's a bit dishonest now for you to point me to the utterance of Christ as if you quoted his words and I disagreed.

Since we must all quote Jesus, what did he say about marrying more than 1 wife?
My you have peace

I love the way you accept that Jesus has the final say, God will surely bless you for that.

Well he said:

In reply he said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? Matthew 19:4-5

There are three points here:
IN THE BEGINNING:
Jesus is here talking about the initiation of marriage!

God made THEM MALE and FEMALE. Note the pronoun THEM which all of us know that Jesus was referring to TWO persons, then MALE (not MALES) and FEMALE (not FEMALES)

Then in the second highlighted:

Jesus said "the TWO will become ONE"

The reason for all these is because Jesus is taking us back to Paradise where there will be no mourning, crying, pain, hatred or rivalry.
So if people or prophets in the past couldn't decipher this, it's not their fault because the Messiah (Christ) who happens to be with the true God has not come to establish how things ought to be! John 4:25

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Have Most Christians Stopped Preaching To The Muslims? / Loneliness Is A Very Bad Thing. / Lets Pray For Infidel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.