Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,135 members, 7,814,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria (19801 Views)

COVID-19: Snake Venom May Become Tool In Fight Against Coronavirus / Coronavirus: Africa Recorded 17 Deaths In 24 Hours – WHO / IVF Treatment Centres In Nigeria 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Realestatevixen: 5:14pm On Nov 14, 2021
Ok
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Havertz10: 5:17pm On Nov 14, 2021
I thought babalawo's had this issue locked down cheesy
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by shantti(m): 5:18pm On Nov 14, 2021
We only have to upgrade traditional healing centers, even though I've always been against them, I've realized that they save lives,

I remembered when a snake bit me in my sleep, like how the hell did a snake creep into our compound, I dont know. It was a nearby traditional center that treated me and I became fine

2 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by tradepunter: 5:19pm On Nov 14, 2021
Hmmm
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Angelfrost(m): 5:19pm On Nov 14, 2021
As if proper basic healthcare is even a thing in this country... How many state of the art hospitals do we have across states to begin with??!

That's why I laughed when Bill Gates and his ex-wife were projecting massive deaths from Covid-19 last year! They had no idea where we are coming from as a nation!!! lipsrsealed undecided embarassed

2 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Judolisco(m): 5:21pm On Nov 14, 2021
U sabi
wunmi590:
tongue

Majority of the snakes that was suppose to be used to get venom have been killed, roasted and ended up in human belly cheesy

I guess Nigerian have master the art of using the traditional method to treat snake bite, but as a country we still need to look beyond traditional medicine for those who reside in the cities, so that most hospitals can have them readily available...

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Spencerchiboy(m): 5:22pm On Nov 14, 2021
Have you been looking for a way to make easy and legit money online, just create an account through this link: https://www.viralat.com/7
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by PqsMike: 5:22pm On Nov 14, 2021
ManirBK:
Another one is that If snake bite u...try to look for bitter cola and
chew....then use new razor to tear the place till blood is out then bring cassava leaves and robb there, it will not pain u again...both snake and
scorpion.

God forbids o....if snake bite person for neck nko?

2 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Angelfrost(m): 5:22pm On Nov 14, 2021
ManirBK:
chew....then use new razor to tear the place till blood is out then bring cassava leaves and robb there, it will not pain u again...both snake and
scorpion.

These people will never understand how we roll here in Africa... That's why I pity those of us doing away with our trado-medical practices. Una think say healthcare dey improve??! I laugh una!!!

3 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by ayenale1(m): 5:22pm On Nov 14, 2021
The only anti scorpion and snake that i know is (apooro epajebu)very sour in taste...only yoruba people can relate and understand...

8 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by aryzgreat: 5:23pm On Nov 14, 2021
DUNDEEMASTER:
We die of ignorance in this country...How do I explain to my father in heaven that some pple are ignorant of wat to do Once a snake bites you..the first step is to tie the upper part of the affected region to prevent the Vernon from spreading throughout the body....They won't teach you this in school ooo..

Not for Gabon viper bite

1 Like

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by DUNDEEMASTER(m): 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2021
aryzgreat:

Not for Gabon viper bite
Matter don tire rapper be that angry sad

6 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by akrogeo(m): 5:28pm On Nov 14, 2021
will it even be potent for venom like in viper snakes
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Originalsly: 5:28pm On Nov 14, 2021
ManirBK:

the lazyness inside us is the answer bro, Africa anti snake antidote is very cheaper and effective than this foreign medicine.

Why would foreign minded locals use anti venom treatments from illiterates?....illiterates who been living in snake infested parts of the country and bitten again and again for hundreds of years? ... and be surviving? Is it not better to travel for hoursss to receive civilized treatment?.... never mind on getting there one will be immediately admitted....... to the mortuary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by adonis89(m): 5:29pm On Nov 14, 2021
If u stay in township snake bite u, u are likely to die than those who resides in d village. My village for Bayelsa has never recorded a snake death since I was born.

5 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by sulaak(m): 5:31pm On Nov 14, 2021
ManirBK:
the lazyness inside us is the answer bro, Africa anti snake antidote is very cheaper and effective than this foreign medicine.

I will blame it on lack of governance, if a country doesn't have an effective public health care policy, it then becomes impossible to develop that country.

Security, clean water, health care and education are the foundation of any country, instead, the country is acquiring billions of dollars in loans to build railways, we need railways but not at the expense of education and healthcare.

1 Like

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by SilvanusII(m): 5:33pm On Nov 14, 2021
As a farmer, this is a serious concern. In rural areas where these bites occur more often, the health centres are not provides with antivenins. A farmer who owns property near a farm where I worked said one of his indentured servants had been bitten by a snake and they had been trying the local method of extraction and management to heal him. When I asked 'why didn't you take him to a hospital?' they looked at me like I had two heads.
Another day a woman was stung by a scorpion. I was the next in line to my absent oga. I didn't even know of a hospital they could take them too. Those ppl only kept assuring me the woman would be fine and took her away. I was traumatized walahi. The woman was fine when I saw her the next day but mehn. All these is only a result of the failure of government

Malory:
Scary I must say but does it means no traditional way of treating it or must we rely on foreign anti venom

There are traditional ways of managing snake bites, but as with traditional medicine, it is too secretive and a dying art, the chances of successes are not as high as one would expect, and victims may be left with a poorer quality of life.

DUNDEEMASTER:
We die of ignorance in this country...How do I explain to my father in heaven that some pple are ignorant of wat to do Once a snake bites you..the first step is to tie the upper part of the affected region to prevent the Vernon from spreading throughout the body....They won't teach you this in school ooo..

This is dangerous advise. There have been several campaigns warning against doing this. Tying off the area with the aim to restrict the movement of the poison increases the chances of losing that limb

shantti:
We only have to upgrade traditional healing centers, even though I've always been against them, I've realized that they save lives,

I remembered when a snake bit me in my sleep, like how the hell did a snake creep into our compound, I dont know. It was a nearby traditional center that treated me and I became fine

I'm really interested in your story. I agree with you that traditional healing centers need to upgrade. This is not even about giving them facilities. They also need to change their mindsets. They always think they are in competition with modern medicine and unconsciously put themselves in a position of inferiority.
Traditional medical practitioners also NEED to stop with 'this is how our fathers' did it in the old days' and keep mixing cocktails from then to address modern concerns. Quinine isn't counted so effective against malaria these days and it was the to-go drug for malaria back then

10 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 14, 2021
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Grandmeister(m): 5:49pm On Nov 14, 2021
izzy4shizzy:
In Nigeria, the best treatment of snake bites are usually traditional.

Those people will go to the point where the snake bit you, use jazz and call back the snake, use the snake and do anti venom treat you and close your file
You lie! There's a reason man has always been afraid of snakes. Understand the biological composition of snake venom before deceiving people that traditional medicines are a sure fire way of treating snake bites. That was how a young man in umuahia lost his life after been bitten by a gaboon viper. He wasted nearly a day at the traditional place and was rushed to FMC when he was already passing away. Nigeria is the snake belt of the world. This means that it has the most snake bites and fatalities alongside other West African countries. Not all snake bites are deadly. Some snakes have little to mild venom that can't kill a man. So when someone recovers from such bites we mistakenly attribute it to the traditional medicine man's prowess....

9 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Lastmankc(m): 5:50pm On Nov 14, 2021
DUNDEEMASTER:
What if the snake bite you in the neck?
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Grandmeister(m): 5:51pm On Nov 14, 2021
shantti:

Do you know the type of snake that bit you? Don't take such risks when you're bitten by a puff adder or carpet viper, you'll just be another statistics to the number of fatalities.

2 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Almunjid(m): 5:55pm On Nov 14, 2021
Real snakes run away before u sight them. The one that is waiting for u, challenging or chasing u is not a snake. Na ur village people be that. Anti-snake venom go hardly fit treat their bites. grin

2 Likes

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Elvisod: 5:55pm On Nov 14, 2021
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Grandmeister(m): 5:56pm On Nov 14, 2021
ManirBK:
scorpion.
It is such ignorant talks like this that has sent people to their graves from snake bites! So you think most of those that died didn't use traditional method at first? Tell me what your cassava will do when a gaboon viper with 6 inches fangs delivers a bite deep inside your muscle tissues? You think westerners were not trying out their own traditional medicines till they developed antivenoms? If it was so potent they wouldn't have bothered with antivenoms.

1 Like

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by emmanuelbrown26: 5:57pm On Nov 14, 2021
ManirBK:
u got it alright baba, we are too lazy to know things within us.
This believe that everything foreign is the ultimate has to stop before we would know our value.
I remember sometime ago, I happens to meet sugar level patience, so I gave them an assignment, the assignment was to squeeze onugbo (bitter leave), put it inside coolant then 1 glass cup every night for 30 days, that they should go and check their sugar level.
Could u believe that it was 25% that did what I asked them to do and it happens that when they checked their sugar level, there was drastical change (I'm not a doctor nor pharmacist, I'm only a physiotherapist)
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by redsun(m): 6:02pm On Nov 14, 2021
A country where they kill every snake they see, venomous and not. How on will they think of milking the dangerous ones if they venom?

Nigeria is a country without any form of structured learning, research and development planning in place, that is why it's backward. People cannot adapt without learning to do things dynamically.

1 Like

Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by neonly: 6:02pm On Nov 14, 2021
ManirBK:
scorpion.

But where person wan see pawpaw leave for city incase of such incident
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by tola1006: 6:03pm On Nov 14, 2021
DUNDEEMASTER:

What if it bites your neck or chest or stomach even scrotum or face undecided undecided
Re: How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria by Grandmeister(m): 6:07pm On Nov 14, 2021
redsun:
A country where they kill every snake they see, venomous and not. How on will they think of milking the dangerous ones if they venom?

Nigeria is a country without any form of structured learning, research and development planning in place, that is why it's backward. People cannot adapt without learning to do things dynamically.
A shambolic government. They think killing snakes will save them from snake bites. Snakes have been killed for millennia and yet they have managed to thrive. Instead of getting venom samples for antivenin that will save lives they will rather embezzle the funds and fly to UK and dubai.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Conjoined Baby Girls Delivered In Nasarawa... / My Experience With Hard Stool. / How To Permanently Cure Pimples On Your Face In 23 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.