Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,755 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Do U Belive In Destiny - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do U Belive In Destiny (1160 Views)

Do You Belive In Recent Testimonies About Trips To Heaven And Hell!!!!! / I Belive In Mirracles........... / You Belive In God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do U Belive In Destiny by frank317: 7:42pm On Jun 07, 2011
I often hear some pastors say “your destiny is about to change” or no one can change your destiny” and I find myself asking what exactly is destiny? Is it a man made phenomenon or a fact? The English dictionary describes destiny as that which must happen to someone in future or a future occurrence that cannot be changed.

This implies that our life is like a written down script and what must be must be (except prayer is involved). When we lost a loved one we often say, “Well that’s how it’s supposed to be, and we couldn’t have done anything about it.” people go for job interview and say “if the job is mine, I will get it.”

A friend of mine escaped death by missing a bus which later had accident. People said that he wasn’t destined to die. A rich man’s daughter took a flight to her home (flight is considered safer than car) but had accident when her driver was about to drive into her home after she had had a successive flight. People said she was destined to die.

But I thought that if my friend had entered that bus in the first story, perhaps his presence would have changed something and the accident would have been totally avoided or his presence would have caused more deaths. Therefore I believe that my friend (like every other person in that bus) was active in the whole phenomena either by being there or not. Of course the latter occurred and so we cannot say what his presence would have caused.

What am I saying? I think there is absolutely no such thing as destiny, it is a man made thing. If there was destiny, then why do we work hard? Why do we pray? Why do have hope? It would have meant that we make decisions for nothing. It would have meant that we have no choice in life. It would have meant that we are passive rather than active on our daily life occurrences no matter what we think. If there was destiny then it would have meant that some people are destined to go to hell, some people are meant to be rich or poor.

Further, I think since the future is unknown, then we cant talk about destiny. The future is blank and the people we greet, the hands we shake, the way we talk, the way we think, the decision of the bus driver, the warning of the passengers, the little nail we pick on the road and everything we to today determines what will happen tomorrow. It is to a large extent in our hands to determine our tomorrow. Yet the uncertainness of what will happen tomorrow limits our control or our determination of tomorrow. Tomorrow is uncertain because we are not the only ones on planet earth. There are bacteria, virus, evil hearted people, drunks, strong wind, bad roads etc which we cannot be in control of, but must be wise in making the right decision as far as our senses can tell.

If u go for a job interview don’t say “if the job is mine I will get it,” no job is meant for you! U either get the job or not. Nothing like destiny to ensure u get the job. U either work hard to earn it, hope that the interviewer does not have a bad day or does not dislike u or understand that ur effort determines to a large extent the possibility of getting the job.

I always ask, “if we don’t know the future why then should a pastor say that ur destiny is about to change?” change from what to what?
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by ronkebp(f): 8:00pm On Jun 07, 2011
God himself directs destiny, and people who say your destiny is in your hands are right, you can choose to have God take charge of your life, or otherwise, in the Bible, psalms (precisely) " your word (God's word) is a lamp to my feet and a guide to my path". God directs our steps, paths and everything that concerns us, only if you choose to let[b] Him [/b] lead though.
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by frank317: 8:26pm On Jun 07, 2011
ronkebp:

God himself directs destiny, and people who say your destiny is in your hands are right, you can choose to have God take charge of your life, or otherwise, in the Bible, psalms (precisely) " your word (God's word) is a lamp to my feet and a guide to my path". God directs our steps, paths and everything that concerns us, only if you choose to let[b] Him [/b] lead though.

think we are on the same page here. but do u think that if we dont put our lives in the hands of God our lives is destined in a particular direction? i dont think so. even christians around me still have to work as hard as non christians to make a living. i think God's presence in our life could help in directing our lives not determine it. the fact that u are a born again christian does not mean your life becomes a writen script written by God. he could only direct u to the right path through the bible and what u make of this dirrection is up to u.
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by Osama10(m): 9:16pm On Jun 07, 2011
No.
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by ronkebp(f): 10:56pm On Jun 07, 2011
You have said it all Frank, just because someone is a born again and lazy, does not mean dat God will put breakfast, lunch and dinner on the table for him, while he sits and folds his hands and say "Holy is the Lord".
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by solomto(f): 10:46am On Jun 08, 2011
Some are not destined to die a particular death and am a living example. I know i cn never die in an accident bt dat doesn't mean that i should be careless wen driving bt dat cn never take place even if am in a public vehicle.
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by Joagbaje(m): 11:06am On Jun 08, 2011
There is destiny in God and there is destiny in the world. The devil also has his destiny for every man. We have the choice to make. When a man pray for destiny to change , he us talking about satanic plan being destroyed in the life of the people. Destiny is not static. Even Gods destiny for us still need our cooperation.

solomto:

Some are not destined to die a particular death and am a living example

God never destined evil for us. It's the enemy that does that. Gods destiny is for us to be conform to the image of his son. And mature into the fulness of christ.
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by frank317: 3:35pm On Jun 08, 2011
solomto:

Some are not destined to die a particular death and am a living example. I know i cn never die in an accident bt dat doesn't mean that i should be careless wen driving bt dat cn never take place even if am in a public vehicle.

i believe that our steong beliefs can work for us. but that is not destiny. as long as u have to be careful when driving means there is no destiny involved. i think the problem is the we dont understand the implcation of saying our life is destined. it means its been written and nothing can stop it.
some say Goodluck Jonathan was destined to be the president. this implies that even if he had not gone to school and chose to smoke igboo with his friends while growing up and even if he had refused to be the president. he would have been the president of nigeria today, notthing would have stoped it.

i believe there is luck, this is because other people's decision miight favour us, then we can say we are lucky. but destiny, noooooooooooooo
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 08, 2011
You can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards, that's destiny

Destiny is not something fixed, it's what you arrive at based on your actions and inactions,

You determine your destiny, destiny does not determine you
Re: Do U Belive In Destiny by solomto(f): 3:04pm On Jun 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

There is destiny in God and there is destiny in the world. The devil also has his destiny for every man. We have the choice to make. When a man pray for destiny to change , he us talking about satanic plan being destroyed in the life of the people. Destiny is not static. Even Gods destiny for us still need our cooperation.

God never destined evil for us. It's the enemy that does that. Gods destiny is for us to be conform to the image of his son. And mature into the fulness of christ.
cn the enemy change d sex of d foetus in the womb?

(1) (Reply)

And Forty Nights / Church Of Satan Registration Site. / Abraham Restituted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.