Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning (1764 Views)

Safe Betting: How I Lost N880,000 In 8 Minutes / How Can I Get Back My Gtbank Account,i Lost The Phone Number And Email Address / How I Lost The Opportunity That Would Have Changed My Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 11:00am On Nov 19, 2021
As has been my life routine. I woke up this morning and stretched out my hand to pick my phone from the table. I perused my WhatsApp, Facebook and went foward to check my emails. So I opened a mail from Google maps (I am a developer and I have integrated and consumed Google maps APIs on a bunch of websites and applications I built for clients).

So what really caught my attention was that Google promised to pay $15 If i helped them complete a survey on their map products.

So with my heart racing fast and pumping in excitement, I rushed and clicked the link. I selected my employment status, clicked on the select box to indicate my country, alas and behold, Nigeria was not in the list of countries. I scrolled delligently and intermittently between Namibia, Nicaragua,niger and hoping to see Nigeria somewhere but it was not there. To be sure my eyes was not deceiving me, I used my web developer sense to referesh the page, blaming the absence of Nigeria on network problem resulting in incomplete page load. To my surprise Nigeria was not still there.

This is not right, I said to myself. Nigeria has the best developers in Africa both in quality and quantity and some of the highest consumers of Google products.
I am entitled to this free pie and so is other Nigerian developers. We and some Nigerian companies have used and paid for Google products and deserves this pie and nothing will stop me.

So in the midst of my confusion I found an option that indicates 'my country not listed here'. So I selected this option and clicked the next button. Hoping to get directed to where Nigeria is listed so that I can continue with the survey.

My brothers and sisters I was told 'thank you for your time' . No this can't be happening. Something must be wrong, I need to earn this $15. Maybe I must have selected the wrong option. I clicked on the back button but was told that I can't take the survey again.

Okay, enough of the jokes. I did a little research and found out that Nigerians has abused such opportunities in the past and hence, are not qualified for such tasks on most Google products.

The culture of fraud has eaten deep into the very fabric of the Nigerian society.
Ghanians, togolese, benonoise and host of smaller African countries are now open to opportunities a Nigerian has no access to.

The internet is booming. A lot of businesses today are moving their market place online. In the US, the e-commerce sector is worth over $500bn contributing significantly to the GDP and overall economy of the USA. One of the reason for this growth is because of TRUST and HONESTY. An American can meet a fellow American online, interact and seal a business deal without one devicing 'smart' (evil) ways to defraud the other.

Today most Nigerians can't do business online because you are 100% sure to be duped. To make me matters worst, when you complain, you will be termed 'not smart' or foolish.
What is wrong in trusting a fellow Nigerian? For us not to recognize this as a problem shows the depth of decay in our morality.

Chronic internet fraudsters(Yahoo Yahoo) are celebrated. Some have developed 'justifications' for this crime.

Developers like me that do business online are some of the worst people affected by the menace of fraud and bad reputation Nigerians have amassed online and it is only going to get worse. I have lost business opportunities simply because the client I met on Facebook discovered that I am a 'nigerian'. In his words 'Mr Clinton, your works are good but I don't do business with Nigerians online. '

It is time the Nigeria society start combating the menace of fraud. It is the obligation of our religious institutions to condemn fraud in strong terms without mincing words.
It is the responsibility of you, the ordinary Nigerian to be honest in your dealing with your fellow Nigerian without devicing ways to scam each other.
It is the responsibility of our government to increase the punishment for fraud and cybercrimes. The government should also expand the scope of what is defined as fraud. Reneging on a gentleman agreement after receiving monetary inducements is 'fraud'.
Developers like me have a very vital role to play. We can refuse to develop that phising website/script,crypto, investment etc website especially when we know what it will be used for. Think about your future. The same laptop and phone you use to access your Gmail, WhatsApp, Facebook etc is the same device you will use to host a fraudulent website. Don't you know that FBI and other relevant agencies are taking your data? When you get that your dream foreign job and decide to move to a foreign country, you will just end up in jail.

NIGERIANS SAY NO TO FRAUD

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Israel19: 11:53am On Nov 19, 2021
mehn i just don't know wht 2 say. Is really sad only negative things re been postulated against us by d rest of the world.
I just don't know when these stuffs will go away. I pray soon.

Anyways sorry for your experience
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Nobody: 11:54am On Nov 19, 2021
This country is so fu.cked up
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by alanto: 12:52pm On Nov 19, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
This country is so fu.cked up
Please there’s nothing wrong with Nigeria. It’s the humans in it. And I don’t blame the youth I blame the useless leaders we have.
Nigeria IP can’t visit many sites. Many. So many you will be surprised. Even on AppStore and playstore as a Nigerian there are apps you can’t download because our people ehn make I lock up.
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by ProphetofOdin: 1:50pm On Nov 19, 2021
You won't understand how bleeped up and useless this country is until you have lost opportunities online just like the OP. 3 years ago i had my own unfair share of being a Nigerian, i met a German man online who was interested in starting up a renewable energy business in Nigeria-he agreed to set up an office in Abuja and i would select 10 primary and secondary schools in Nigeria where we would install solar free of charge, we had a lot of meetings via skype and everything was going on well, until he consulted the wife who was from east Asia. The wife told him to cut the deal off, in her words 'Nigerians are difficult to do business with. Of cos i know what she meant because she was just trying to be civil.

If you meet an average Nigerian the first thing he wants to do is to cheat and short change you. They don't believe in honesty and hard work. They are terribly corrupt but would go to church or mosque and give thanksgiving/testimony and call it grace or miracle.
Have you even tried to give your job to some Nigerian craft men? They would collect both the money for service and materials and abscond without doing the job.
If i were not a Nigerian i won't want anything to do with them.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Unique9: 1:13am On Nov 20, 2021
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Bigkoko: 7:49am On Nov 20, 2021
This is why you need a company registered in Rwanda. This is the message we have been saying since. Have a company in other countries. It comes with PR, you can accept any job from anywhere!

You don't need to be in Rwanda before owning a company. We can register it for you and also open a bank account for it within 7-10 days! You use your bank account to receive your money. You simply transfer to where ever!

Talk to us
WhatsApp us on +250790927282

JavaScript90:
As has been my life routine. I woke up this morning and stretched out my hand to pick my phone from the table. I perused my WhatsApp, Facebook and went foward to check my emails. So I opened a mail from Google maps (I am a developer and I have integrated and consumed Google maps APIs on a bunch of websites and applications I built for clients).

So what really caught my attention was that Google promised to pay $15 If i helped them complete a survey on their map products.

So with my heart racing fast and pumping in excitement, I rushed and clicked the link. I selected my employment status, clicked on the select box to indicate my country, alas and behold, Nigeria was not in the list of countries. I scrolled delligently and intermittently between Namibia, Nicaragua,niger and hoping to see Nigeria somewhere but it was not there. To be sure my eyes was not deceiving me, I used my web developer sense to referesh the page, blaming the absence of Nigeria on network problem resulting in incomplete page load. To my surprise Nigeria was not still there.

This is not right, I said to myself. Nigeria has the best developers in Africa both in quality and quantity and some of the highest consumers of Google products.
I am entitled to this free pie and so is other Nigerian developers. We and some Nigerian companies have used and paid for Google products and deserves this pie and nothing will stop me.

So in the midst of my confusion I found an option that indicates 'my country not listed here'. So I selected this option and clicked the next button. Hoping to get directed to where Nigeria is listed so that I can continue with the survey.

My brothers and sisters I was told 'thank you for your time' . No this can't be happening. Something must be wrong, I need to earn this $15. Maybe I must have selected the wrong option. I clicked on the back button but was told that I can't take the survey again.

Okay, enough of the jokes. I did a little research and found out that Nigerians has abused such opportunities in the past and hence, are not qualified for such tasks on most Google products.

The culture of fraud has eaten deep into the very fabric of the Nigerian society.
Ghanians, togolese, benonoise and host of smaller African countries are now open to opportunities a Nigerian has no access to.

The internet is booming. A lot of businesses today are moving their market place online. In the US, the e-commerce sector is worth over $500bn contributing significantly to the GDP and overall economy of the USA. One of the reason for this growth is because of TRUST and HONESTY. An American can meet a fellow American online, interact and seal a business deal without one devicing 'smart' (evil) ways to defraud the other.

Today most Nigerians can't do business online because you are 100% sure to be duped. To make me matters worst, when you complain, you will be termed 'not smart' or foolish.
What is wrong in trusting a fellow Nigerian? For us not to recognize this as a problem shows the depth of decay in our morality.

Chronic internet fraudsters(Yahoo Yahoo) are celebrated. Some have developed 'justifications' for this crime.

Developers like me that do business online are some of the worst people affected by the menace of fraud and bad reputation Nigerians have amassed online and it is only going to get worse. I have lost business opportunities simply because the client I met on Facebook discovered that I am a 'nigerian'. In his words 'Mr Clinton, your works are good but I don't do business with Nigerians online. '

It is time the Nigeria society start combating the menace of fraud. It is the obligation of our religious institutions to condemn fraud in strong terms without mincing words.
It is the responsibility of you, the ordinary Nigerian to be honest in your dealing with your fellow Nigerian without devicing ways to scam each other.
It is the responsibility of our government to increase the punishment for fraud and cybercrimes. The government should also expand the scope of what is defined as fraud. Reneging on a gentleman agreement after receiving monetary inducements is 'fraud'.
Developers like me have a very vital role to play. We can refuse to develop that phising website/script,crypto, investment etc website especially when we know what it will be used for. Think about your future. The same laptop and phone you use to access your Gmail, WhatsApp, Facebook etc is the same device you will use to host a fraudulent website. Don't you know that FBI and other relevant agencies are taking your data? When you get that your dream foreign job and decide to move to a foreign country, you will just end up in jail.

Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Bigkoko: 7:56am On Nov 20, 2021
Truth be told, some Nigerians are fraudulent, or they don't know some of their activities are FRAUDULENT in saner climes.

For instance, we were consulted late Thursday evening by a so called IT person who wants to open a Company & account in Rwanda. We settle on price & terms. Invoice issued. Names & phone number collected.
After we delivered on the service, which we told him we are doing on trust because normally you pay before anything. He agreed.

After service delivery, he said "I talk to you later" till now no response!
Guess what I will be deducted for the service by the company!

He thinks he's clever. But that's a criminal act. Shows if we ever do business, he must sign a Notarized under taking before we commence!

If the company deduct my salary, I will publish his name & phone number!

1 Like

Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 7:20pm On Nov 20, 2021
Bigkoko:
This is why you need a company registered in Rwanda. This is the message we have been saying since. Have a company in other countries. It comes with PR, you can accept any job from anywhere!

You don't need to be in Rwanda before owning a company. We can register it for you and also open a bank account for it within 7-10 days! You use your bank account to receive your money. You simply transfer to where ever!

Talk to us
WhatsApp us on +250790927282

I might do this when I am up for it
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 7:21pm On Nov 20, 2021
Bigkoko:
Truth be told, some Nigerians are fraudulent, or they don't know some of their activities are FRAUDULENT in saner climes.

For instance, we were consulted late Thursday evening by a so called IT person who wants to open a Company & account in Rwanda. We settle on price & terms. Invoice issued. Names & phone number collected.
After we delivered on the service, which we told him we are doing on trust because normally you pay before anything. He agreed.

After service delivery, he said "I talk to you later" till now no response!
Guess what I will be deducted for the service by the company!

He thinks he's clever. But that's a criminal act. Shows if we ever do business, he must sign a Notarized under taking before we commence!

If the company deduct my salary, I will publish his name & phone number!

very bad. I have even developed a website for a client and he refused to pay until 11 months later after much persuasion
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Perfectman91: 11:24pm On Nov 20, 2021
Intelligent writeup, this should be moved to frontpage
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by igbozionism(m): 2:13pm On Nov 21, 2021
Nice article
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2021
Mods to front page
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Oluwatee1(m): 12:53pm On Nov 26, 2021
Cc; Lalasticlala, seun, Myd4.
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
Oluwatee1:
Cc; Lalasticlala, seun, Myd4.
They are not interested in moving the thread to front page. The culture of fraud has eaten deep into Nigerians just like tribalism. Even those that are not into fraud have the body language of giving tactical support to fraudsters.

This is a finely written unique article that most bloggers will die to have as content in their website. But for some reasons, the moderators have deliberately refuse to move the thread to front page. I have this thread recreated in crime, which has entered the second page. I just can't rationalize why the moderators have refused to move this thread to front page if not that they are giving tactical support to fraudsters

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Kobicove(m): 2:37pm On Nov 29, 2021
JavaScript90:

They are not interested in moving the thread to front page. The culture of fraud has eaten deep into Nigerians just like tribalism. Even those that are not into fraud have the body language of giving tactical support to fraudsters.

This is a finely written unique article that most bloggers will die to have as content in their website. But for some reasons, the moderators have deliberately refuse to move the thread to front page. I have this thread recreated in crime, which has entered the second page. I just can't rationalize why the moderators have refused to move this thread to front page if not that they are giving tactical support to fraudsters

Every thread must not make it to front page.

It is mischievous for you to accuse the moderators of giving tacit support to fraud just because a thread that talks about a person's experience reflecting a fallout from fraud was not moved to front page!

1 Like

Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 3:18pm On Nov 29, 2021
Kobicove:

Every thread must not make it to front page.

It is mischievous for you to accuse the moderators of giving tacit support to fraud just because a thread that talks about a person's experience reflecting a fallout from fraud was not moved to front page!
I hear you. Let us not derail
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by sirgalahad26(m): 3:33pm On Nov 29, 2021
JavaScript90:

Just so sad �
A lot of "not available in your country"
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 9:03am On Nov 30, 2021
sirgalahad26:

Just so sad �
A lot of "not available in your country"
Very very sad
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by aduragbemi09: 3:00am On Dec 19, 2021
This number is not on WhatsApp
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by Innomama7(m): 6:34am On Dec 19, 2021
Bundle is an app that lets you send cash & trade crypto for free. When you sign up with my link and specify my username, @innomama as the referrer, you can get NGN 500.00 free.

Download the app here:
https://referral.bundle.africa/LkK7
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 10:17pm On Jan 20, 2022
Mods move this thread to front page. lalasticlala
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by adeomos(m): 10:36am On Jan 21, 2022
Moving it to the frontpage, gives a wide exposure and contribution from various people, you never know what you missing as a Nigerian, lot of job flying around on the internet such that little set of skills is required.
Re: How I Lost The Opportunity To Earn $15 This Morning by JavaScript90: 8:49pm On Jan 21, 2022
adeomos:
Moving it to the frontpage, gives a wide exposure and contribution from various people, you never know what you missing as a Nigerian, lot of job flying around on the internet such that little set of skills is required.
True talk

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Capital Market, World's Worst Hit — Report / TBC Is Real Future Money Get Yours Free / Wema Alat Launches Quick Loans, Virtual Dollar Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.