Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,133 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) (41546 Views)

Three Siblings Survive After A Trailer Crushed Their Car In Nsukka (Photos) / Five Cowries Terminal: Lagos Jetty - Water Transportation (Video, Photos) / Pictures Of Five Cowries Terminal: A Beautiful Jetty in Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Fireboy02: 9:43am On Nov 21, 2021
From Igbo Nsukka United Front Facebook page:

BANDONED OGURUGU AIRPORT AND SEA-JETTY (SEA PORT):
TALES OF THE ABANDONED TREASURES & GLORY OF IGBO NSUKKA

In our quest to revitalize rejuvenate and re-galvernize Igbo Nsukka to reclaim all her lost glory and treasures, IGBO NSUKKA UNITED FRONT sent a delegation to the coastal town of Ogurugu in Uzo-Uwani local government area of Enugu State for on-the-spot assessment of what is left of the only Sea-Port used by the Colonialists in Northern Igbo Land and the Airport, initially started as an Aerodrome by the Military Regime of General Olusegun Obasanjo.

What our delegation discovered in the course of the voyage is enough to make a giant break down in tears.

Ogurugu, a coastal town which, if it had been handled differently by the succeeding governments, should today be at similar level of development and city awareness with Onitsha Anambra State because of its (Ogurugu) historical connection with the early European (whitemen) traders, the UAC, JOHN HOLT etc who traded in local produce like Palm Oil, Palm kernel, timber logging, fishes etc. All these goods/wares were either produced or brought to OGURUGU port from all over Igbo Nsukka from where they were shipped to Onitsha, Lokoja and outside world.

Today the OGURUGU town is a ghost of it's itself, artifacts of European presence littered the town.

THE OGURUGU AIRPORT

Airport in OGURUGU Uzouwani may sound like story from the space or a fairytale but it's empirically true and real.
It was an Airport said to be awarded by the Military regime of Gen Olusegun Obasanjo. At the airport, we found solid structures in a vast expanse of land. We found the runway, the tarmac, the control stations and other things that make up an Airport or Airstrip with a glaring evidence, that the facility has suffered total abandonment, deterioration and looting.

The most surprising finding we made at the Airport was the conversion of the Aerodrome facility to personal use by the former Minister of Commerce and Industry, Mr. Charles UGWU. It was revealed that he was using it for milling and re-bagging of rice, using his Company name, Tara Agro Company Ltd.

In our chat with a community leader named ONWUEME MOSES who happens to be the son of the Eze Ala that donated the land to the Federal Government for the construction of the Airport between 1977 and 1978, we were made to understand that a man named CLEMENT CHINEDU from Imo state claimed that he bought the facility from the Federal Government and sold it to the Fmr. Minister, MR. CHARLES UGWU, the Director of TARA AGRO COMPANY LTD.

We also got privy information that the Fmr Minister doesn't want people to know about the existence of such a facility.

In our interview with one of the Supervisors that worked at the Airport in the 70s, he noted that work stopped at the Airport at the inception of a new government in 1979 and the then civilian government shifted focus away from OGURUGU Airport.

We, in IGBO NSUKKA UNITED FRONT, have resolved to take further steps and get clarifications on how the Land was acquired by the Federal Government, and why such expanse of Land given to the government by the community for developmental purposes should be converted to private use by the Fmr Minister. (See below, the picturesque of the Airport facilities)

THE OGURUGU SEA-JETTY(SEA PORT)

Another big modern facility in OGURUGU town that has been abandoned is the Ogurugu inland Sea Port from where Colonialists entered Northern Igbo Land and where the entire Igbo nation in this side of the world traded their goods and transported their agricultural products to the outside world especially, through Onitsha.

We were also shown debris of what is left of the Commercial Bank used by Colonialists and Igbo Traders at the Port for transactions in Ogurugu.

From the facts we gathered, the proper reconstruction of the Sea Jetty and the proper dredging of the Omambala/Mabolo River
was attracted by our Govnor, Rt Hon Ifeanyi UGWUANYI when he was the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Marine and Ports Authority. UGWUANYI ensured that the development of the sea jetty commenced in earnest with some construction on the ground, however, the locals we chatted with, stated that work is no longer going on at the Sea Jetty and that they do not know why such life-saving and sustaining facility should be abandoned. (as you can see from the pictures below)

We shall endeavor to interrogate the cause of the abandonment and interface with the relevant Authorities and individuals in order to get the sea-jetty re-started all over again for the economic growth and development of our area and empowerment of our people.

IGGAH OIL FIELDS

Its heart-rending that Oil Fields situated under Iggah Land in Uzo Uwani LGA of Enugu State are today said to be in Anambra State and Anambra State indigenous Oil Company, ORIENT extracting Oil under the Iggah Land.

Till today, Ndi Igbo Nsukka nay Ndi Enugu State are yet to be told why Fmr-President Goodluck Jonathan should commission the Oil Fields at Iggah Community and Anambra State is enjoying the dividends and at same time declared an Oil Producing State, instead of Enugu State where the Oil fields are located! The benefits of an oil producing state can never be over-emphasised and such benefits should indeed come to Enugu State and not Anambra State.

We therefore call on all well-meaning sons and daughters of Igbo Nsukka and also the Enugu State Govermnent under our able Leader and our own brother to rise and take a critical look into this outright intimidation and unlawful siphoning of our natural resources at Iggah and also draw attention into the abandoned OGURUGU Airport, OGURUGU Sea Jetty and other similar projects.

It's not yet too late in the day to do the needful and properly interrogate what actually happened in those aforementioned abandoned projects.

©️Igbo Nsukka United Front.
#igbohistoryandculturetv

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Fireboy02: 9:44am On Nov 21, 2021
Admin pls help us move dis to front page

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by slimfit1(m): 9:50am On Nov 21, 2021
The man must have a Nokia 3310 not to take pictures.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by yuping(m): 9:55am On Nov 21, 2021
I will take the blame it my fault that it was abandoned. The people we meet in other state always respect them they are the reason you are thriving because of the hospitality they give you.
When you become whatever you become today (successful) don't try and claim what's theirs and keep glory to yourself.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Fireboy02: 9:58am On Nov 21, 2021
slimfit1:
The man must have a Nokia 3310 not to take pictures.
I have posted pics
Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Fireboy02: 10:02am On Nov 21, 2021
yuping:
I will take the blame it my fault that it was abandoned. The people we meet in other state always respect them they are the reason you are thriving because of the hospitality they give you.
When you become whatever you become today (successful) don't try and claim what's theirs and keep glory to yourself.
If victim was anambra state it would have been violence
Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by yuping(m): 10:05am On Nov 21, 2021
Fireboy02:
If victim was anambra state it would have been violence
a
Hmm
Hmmm
Hmmmm
Trouble sleep yanga no go wake am ooo
As you can see I no include state, religion.

3 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Fireboy02: 10:21am On Nov 21, 2021
yuping:
a
Hmm
Hmmm
Hmmmm
Trouble sleep yanga no go wake am ooo
As you can see I no include state, religion.
Why are u afraid? Are they violent

1 Like

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by SportsHD: 10:29am On Nov 21, 2021
That tarmac would make a good race/drift course. Make I bookmark this page.

8 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by lloydtruth: 10:55am On Nov 21, 2021
God hates wastages. Lack of maintenance culture is making us waste resources.

6 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by otokx(m): 11:00am On Nov 21, 2021
There is always an insider.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 21, 2021
Impressive

1 Like

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by esnbrutality: 11:09am On Nov 21, 2021
This particular ..investment hub has massive potentials ...thanks for bringing this out ...it will be revamped and private sector driven in the new Nation Of Biafra!!

Afonja zombies and their Fulani masters eat a fat D....BIAFRA IS here!!

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:31am On Nov 21, 2021
This is commendable
Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by gurujoe(m): 11:46am On Nov 21, 2021
Ala Nsukka is blessed Nigeria is a country you will find injustice every where. Some Nsukka land were carved out into Anambra state especially in Anambra North & Oyi lga

4 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by chiefobdk2: 11:49am On Nov 21, 2021
We learn everyday.. But why has this been a secret all this while..

8 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by chiefobdk2: 11:50am On Nov 21, 2021
gurujoe:
Ala Nsukka is blessed Nigeria is a country you will find injustice every where. Some Nsukka land were carved out into Anambra state especially in Anambra North & Oyi lga
una Don start again

6 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by ObiOfOnitcha: 11:50am On Nov 21, 2021
Fear of drug trafficking

3 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by SlayerForever: 11:56am On Nov 21, 2021
gurujoe:

Oyi LGA? Lwkmd

7 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by yuping(m): 11:56am On Nov 21, 2021
Fireboy02:

Why are u afraid? Are they violent
As I dey drink my Akamu and Akara in peace you no like am abi?

5 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Barryseal: 11:58am On Nov 21, 2021
I have a few hectres of farm land in ogurugu, their land is arable . Enugu state government have it all to do really.

2 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by SlayerForever: 12:00pm On Nov 21, 2021
I am beginning to see the use of using maps to explain some situations like AfricanColumbus does. Like now, though I know Nsukka I can't tell in what direction this Ogurugu is at all. Assuming there was a google map screenshot I would even go there and see for myself sometime.

I will start using maps too to help people understand.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Igboid: 12:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
Alexbells, this is supposed to be your area.
That's water body looks nice.
Could make for good tourist site if developed.

5 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Homeboiy: 12:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
SlayerForever:
I am beginning to see the use of using maps to explain some situations like Easternconsigliere does. Like now, though I know Nsukka I can't tell in what direction this Ogurugu is at all. Assuming there was a google map screenshot I would even go there and see for myself sometime.

I will start using maps too to help people understand.

Just enter Nsukka town and ask if ogurugu that’s as if you are going to barracks

The sea port is around Eha ndi Agu

In 2008 my dad applied as a welder there when they told us that they want to revitalize it

But till today no show

25 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Igboid: 12:10pm On Nov 21, 2021
Homeboiy:

Just enter Nsukka town and ask if ogurugu that’s as if you are going to barracks

In 2008 my dad applied as a welder there when they told us that they want to revitalize it

But till today no show

It can't be sea port.
River port should be a better fit.

22 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by SlayerForever: 12:19pm On Nov 21, 2021
Homeboiy:

But till today no show

Okay good.

So who is in charge of the project? Enugu state government or FG?
Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by JOemmy(m): 1:00pm On Nov 21, 2021
Enugu already have an international airport I don't see any need of continuing with that abandoned airport the river jetty not sea jetty can be completed and put to good use.

17 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by Homeboiy: 1:35pm On Nov 21, 2021
SlayerForever:

Okay good.

So who is in charge of the project? Enugu state government or FG?

I can’t tell o

But I will blame the senators and reps from that side

17 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by boyfrank: 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
The current governor of Enugu, madam Veronica Ugwuanyi is from Nsukka, charity they say begins at home. If he can't complete it I don't know who can.

15 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by leofab(f): 4:03pm On Nov 21, 2021
The airport can be made into a private aerodrome… but the river port can be revitalize into something productive..

3 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by SlayerForever: 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2021
Took me a while to understand the google maps but I finally got it. I now know where Ogurugu is. It is sitting close to or on top of the Anambra River in Enugu state. Close to Adani. Map sweet o cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Abandoned Ogurugu Airport & Sea Jetty: Tales Of Igbo Nsukka (Photos) by SlayerForever: 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2021
Teacher Slayerforever : Gurujoe which state does Oyi LGA have a boundary with?

Gurujoe : None sir.

Teacher Slayerforever : So why did you write Ala Nsukka?

Gurujoe :

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Returns N12 Million Naira She Found At MM Aiport Toilet / United Nigeria Airline Arrives Enugu With Dikeora On Board / Beautiful Picture Of Araromi Beach, Ilaje, Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.