Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,849 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance (586 Views)

How Genuine Are The Fragrance Sold In Nigeria? / How To Select The Right Fragrance For Different Occasions / How To Choose The Right Fragrance Before Shopping Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance by nanotechy: 11:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
I’m opening this thread to help people make good choices about fragrances. Each time I fly in Nigeria, I am often irritated (if not suffocated) by ‘ugly’ smells from people. Most of these people dress expensively, so I figure if they had a better guide, they’ll wear appropriate and inoffensive fragrances. Let’s help people spend their money right. I hope other fragrance experts will come on board to save our country from bad odor! grin grin
The main objectives of this thread are to;
- Provide a platform for fragrance enthusiasts to chat about a shared interest
- Help people make the budget-specific right fragrance choice (for personal use or gift items)
- Provide info on the best places to purchase genuine fragrances
- Answer any questions about fragrances.
NB: This thread will focus on designers and niche fragrances.
Please tell us about your favorite designer/niche fragrances…introduce us to your collection. You can mention the specific fragrances or just their brands if you own a huge collection. I’ll start…
Fragrances are the most important part of my dressing. I wear different fragrances for different occasions (club/bar, date nights, office, gym etc) so I have quite a sizeable collection. I currently own more than 30 bottles of designers and niche fragrances (ranging from 10 – 150 mls) so I am only going to list the brands and then follow that up with my top 10.

Brands in my collection
Christian Dior (including collections from Maison Dior)
Jean Paul Gaultier
Parfums De Marly
Amouage
Viktor and Rolf
Dolce and Gabbana
Muggler
Creed
Giorgio Armani
Tom Ford
YSL
BVGLARI
Versace
Davidoff
Paco rabanne

Now here’s my top 10 (In no particular order)
- Spice Bomb extreme (Viktor and Rolf)
- Green Irish tweed (creed)
- Aventus (creed)
- Tobacco oud by Tom ford (my wife has banned me from wearing this when she’s not with me. Says it’s too sexy!)
- Acqua di gio profumo (Giorgio Armani)
- Light blue intense (Dolce and Gabbana)
- Dior Sauvage EDT (Christian Dior)
- Amber nuit (Maison Dior)
- La nuit de l’homme (YSL)
- L’homme (Pada)
I currently live in the US so these fragrances work in different climatic conditions…summer, winter etc. However, I visit naija every year, sometimes up to 3 times. Whenever I am visiting naija, I only bring 5 fragrances that are suited for high heat.

Here’s my naija fragrances
Light blue intense, Green Irish tweed, Acqua di gio profumo, Dior Sauvage EDT and La nuit de l’homme.

Oya o, tell us about your collection or your favorite fragrances. Those who have questions, ngwa fire away. In trying to answer your questions, we'll provide a lot of information that will ultimately make this thread 'a guide to choosing the right fragrance.'
Re: Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 01, 2021
Re: Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance by nanotechy: 2:37pm On Dec 02, 2021
Macsjebs:
Nice collection, uploading few pictures would add to the fun...
Whenever you need to add rare niche fragrances to your collection, you can always count on Scents Orbit: www.instagram.com/scents_orbit

Where do you get your supplies from? I mean what retailers do you buy from? I am worried sick about authenticity. I once bought fake Creed Aventus from Amazon. Thankfully it was just 10 ml testers
Re: Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance by nanotechy: 2:43pm On Dec 02, 2021
Macsjebs:
Nice collection, uploading few pictures would add to the fun...
Whenever you need to add rare niche fragrances to your collection, you can always count on Scents Orbit: www.instagram.com/scents_orbit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 02, 2021
Re: Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 02, 2021
Great thread
Re: Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance by nanotechy: 3:10pm On Dec 02, 2021
Macsjebs:

From your write up, u not based in Nigeria but we source from worldwide recognized and licensed suppliers of the respective brand perfumes and for years, haven't had a single complaint about authenticity and the perfumes are verifiable via the serial number

Yes, not based in naija. But I must confess, I have no idea how to verify authenticity using serial numbers (and I wonder if that can be manipulated?)..so I just make sure to buy directly from the manufacturers, duty free at international airports, or well known discounters like fragrancenet.com. Perhaps you can enlighten us on how to verify authenticity?
Re: Fragrance Enthusiasts - A Guide To Choosing The Right Fragrance by nanotechy: 12:45am On Dec 05, 2021
Ok, here are my recommendations for those who don't have a lot of money to spend on fragrances. Those who are ok with just a bottle at a time. What you need is a flexible, all-weather, and all occasion fragrance. Something that isn't very bold and completely inoffensive. I will provide a list (from my personal experience) of both high-end (expensive) and more affordable ones. It's important to note that the price of a fragrance doesn't always correlate with quality. For example, Tom Ford's oud wood and black orchid both smell like crap (in my opinion) but they cost an arm. So, even though I think my list here is solid, I still encourage you to try fragrances (if you have access to testers) out before you purchase them. Spray them on your skin and wear it throughout the day to experience how it evolves and decide how you feel about it.

Expensive
Bleu the channel, Allure Homme sport (Chanel), Aventus (Creed), Green Irish tweed (creed)

More affordable
Light blue intense(D&G), Dior sauvage EDT (don't waste your money on the EDP or Le Parfum versions), Prada L'homme, Acqua di gio profumo (Giorgio Armani).

For women (based on my experience shopping for my wife)

Light blue intense (D&G...for women), Cocoa mademoiselle (Chanel), Chanel chance (the green version)

You can blind buy any of these fragrances..they are all champs and meet the criteria I described above. However,
Value for money, If I were asked to pick just one from the list, I'll go for Dior sauvage (men), and Light blue intense (women)

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Your Opinion On This / Fashion Accesories In Abundance. Direct From The US To Your Doorsteps / Beauty Of Statement Jewellery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.