Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,125 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January (15906 Views)

Relate Your Bad Experience Of Buying A Bad Car Without Proper Inspection. / Private Vehicle Does Not Require Roadworthiness Certificate / Private Car Owners Do Not Need Roadworthiness Issued By VIO - Appeal Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by naptu2: 8:20am On Nov 30, 2021
LASG TO KICK START "NO INSPECTION, NO CERTIFICATE OF ROADWORTHINESS" POLICY BY JANUARY

As part of the reforms in the transportation system, the Lagos State Government is set to commence the ‘No Inspection, No Certificate of Roadworthiness’ rule by January 2022 to improve safety on all roads across the metropolis.

The Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Dr. Frederic Oladeinde, disclosed this at a meeting held recently at the Vehicle Inspection Service, (VIS) Headquarters, Ojodu, adding that the rule was made to curb and reduce to the barest minimum the accident rate which had spiked in recent times.

Oladeinde averred that the forum, which had in attendance transport unions and other stakeholders in the transport industry, was convened to collate and incorporate suggestions on the new policy before its commencement. He explained that the State Government is desirous of ensuring that only roadworthy vehicles ply the network of roads in Lagos to reduce gridlocks often caused by broken down vehicles, thereby improving the safety of lives and property.

Highlighting the features of the new policy, the Director, Vehicle Inspection Service (VIS), Engr. Akin-George Fashola explained that the earlier arrangement whereby Certificate of Roadworthiness is issued along with a Referral Note directing vehicle owners to visit the Lagos Computerised Vehicle Inspection Centre (LACVIS) for inspection will no longer hold.

He stated that it was discovered that vehicle owners do not take their cars for inspection within the stipulated period of 30days after receiving the Certificate of Roadworthiness, pointing out that such acts put the State in a precarious situation in terms of unforeseen eventualities.
According to Fashola, the new rule now will compel vehicle owners to go through inspection at any of the LACVIS centres on the expiration of vehicles particulars before a Certificate of Roadworthiness is issued.

"In the event that the vehicle did not pass the Minimum Safety Standard Text (MSST), a period of 30 days will be given for the vehicle to be fixed and thereafter return for a repetition of the MSST at no additional cost before the Certificate of Road Roadworthiness is issued", he explained.

The Director further stated that the LACVIS test has been categorised into both Public and Private, assuring that the 30 LACVIS centres located across the State are functional for all categories of vehicles and also have the capacity to accommodate the new policy, just as standard requirements will not be compromised.

While noting that mobile services are available for large fleet vehicle owners, Fashola reiterated that no vehicle will be certified roadworthy if the owners fail to present their vehicles for inspection to identify any faults for corrective measures. He said that VIS personnel will be deployed garages to help create awareness before the new policy kicks off.

The Lagos State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Mr. Olusegun Ogungbemide, urged transport workers and stakeholders to comply with the new directive, stressing that the measures are solely for the safety and protection of lives and that strict adherence will be beneficial to all and sundry.

A representative of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Comrade Taiwo Abiodun, called for more awareness on the new policy and safe road culture while soliciting humane treatment from traffic management personnel.

He assured that the Union will play its part in correcting deviant behaviour sometimes exhibited by recalcitrant members.
The meeting also afforded the gathering an opportunity to discuss safety strategies aimed at reducing fatalities during the yuletide period and beyond.

#LASG
#ForAGreaterLagos

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=266603088831085&id=100064441879510

3 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by naptu2: 8:20am On Nov 30, 2021
I remember what happened when they tried to implement this policy c1999.

Two things that Governor Tinubu talked about as soon as he took office were (1) the return of mission schools to their owners and (2) the MOT programme.

Lagos had for long been known for its rickety danfo and molue buses. The government made it mandatory for all public buses to undergo the Ministry of Transportation (MOT) test. Vehicles that were not road worthy would not be allowed on the road. He had reached out to the auto assembly plants in Nigeria (PAN, VON, etc.) and major car companies to assist public bus owners to repair their vehicles at a discount.

Then the police and the newly formed LASTMA started impounding the buses and that's when the NURTW decided to show its power.

I went out to see things for myself and you won't believe what I saw. NURTW went on strike. There were massive crowds at bus stops as people who went out earlier in the day could not go back home because of lack of buses. Danfo buses were arriving at bus stops just to mock passengers. The conductors would call destinations and people would rush towards the buses, but they would speed off as soon as the crowd got near. Bus conductors were telling people to go and call Tinubu to come and carry them. I also saw a long convoy of danfo buses on Ikorodu Road and I learnt that they were on their way to Alausa. Okada riders made a killing on that day. Lagosians blamed the "wicked new governor" for their problems. People were calling in to radio shows to berate the government.

Then on the third or fourth day the government capitulated. The NURTW had won.

It'd be very interesting to see how they'll implement it this time.

98 Likes 12 Shares

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by naptu2: 8:20am On Nov 30, 2021
Reactions

1 Share

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by ReoCoker: 8:21am On Nov 30, 2021
smiley
Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by blockgeek69(m): 8:43am On Nov 30, 2021
That one na for paper... Just flash an officer 5 pieces of 1k mint note, he will ask if you need the papers to be delivered to your doorstep or not grin

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by Gravatar: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
Naptu2 and his attention seeking behaviour. Getting pretty old for all this Sir.

2 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
naptu2:

Two things that Governor Tinubu talked about as soon as he took office were (1) the return of mission schools to their owners and (2) the MOT programme.

Lagos had for long been known for its rickety danfo and molue buses. The government made it mandatory for all public buses to undergo the Ministry of Transportation (MOT) test. Vehicles that were not road worthy would not be allowed on the road. He had reached out to the auto assembly plants in Nigeria (PAN, VON, etc.) and major car companies to assist public bus owners to repair their vehicles at a discount.

Then the police and the newly formed LASTMA started impounding the buses and that's when the NURTW decided to show its power.

I went out to see things for myself and you won't believe what I saw. NURTW went on strike. There were massive crowds at bus stops as people who went out earlier in the day could not go back home because of lack of buses. Danfo buses were arriving at bus stops just to mock passengers. The conductors would call destinations and people would rush towards the buses, but they would speed off as soon as the crowd got near. Bus conductors were telling people to go and call Tinubu to come and carry them. I also saw a long convoy of danfo buses on Ikorodu Road and I learnt that they were on their way to Alausa. Okada riders made a killing on that day. Lagosians blamed the "wicked new governor" for their problems. People were calling in to radio shows to berate the government.

That's how Nigerians sabotage themselves

5 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by KingAzari: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
They Should Make Sure That The State's Roads In Lagos Are Vehicle Worthy As Well. At the Moment, It Is Only Federal Roads That Are Good In Lagos State. You Can't Be Asking Certificate Of Road Worthiness Of My Car When The State Roads Are Not Vehicle Worthy.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by RichDad1(m): 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
DOA No be today. They’re only looking for ways to increase Road worthiness Certification Fee.

What happened to MOT that year ?
They should start with commercial buses and those LAWMA trucks if they truly mean business.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by CryptoClub2018: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
In as much as this is a good policy, does this people have the adequate facilities and most importantly do they have adequate number of Computerised Vehicle Inspection Centres that will cater for the number of vehicles for inspection per time? The answer is NO. Lagosians are in for a long thing because people will start queuing for weeks if not months to get there cars inspected while VIPs will use there police or military personnel to intimate people to get vip treatment.
Wahala is on the way guys

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by Jupani: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
They should begin already! It's very neccessary.

1 Like

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by itsme01: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
cool

Nice one, they should check level of carbon emission especially for trucks

People wonder why I like Lagos Administrators past and present, from Tinubu ,Fashola ,Ambode to Sanwo-Olu... It's because they are never afraid to cause trouble if it is what Lagos needs to grow

BAT2023

5 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by lonelydora: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
Very good!

All these Danfo without brake lights and turn signals will be off the road.

This is the right thing to do, but as we all know...this is Nigeria...it is dead on arrival. The same people in the VIO office will be taking bribe and issuing the certificate without inspection.

4 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by mustbewell: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
Good move, all these cars without light will park one side. shocked

3 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by Houseofglam7(f): 8:45am On Nov 30, 2021
undecided
Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by Geeman2006: 8:46am On Nov 30, 2021
Most Nigerians Don't like to do the right thing.
It's for our safety and benefit if done the right way, but alot will still try and cut corners concerning this.
I still admire Lagos no nonsense way of dealing with offenders even though sometimes high handed.
Let's see how it will be implemented.

5 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by BoboKush(m): 8:46am On Nov 30, 2021
Wahala
Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by loadedvibes: 8:47am On Nov 30, 2021
The headline should read LASG to create more avenues for corrupt officials to cashout..

4 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by Lemmy123(m): 8:47am On Nov 30, 2021
Eweeeyyyy!

I think that would be a good idea.

I entered a bus from the Island to Oshodi yesterday, the fvckin bus was oozing warm smoke from every hole the whole time of the journey.. My eyes were so red you'd think I smoked molly

Lagos government should hasten it up biko, I'm in support

3 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by MondayOsunbor(m): 8:48am On Nov 30, 2021

1 Like

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by sojayy(m): 8:49am On Nov 30, 2021
Good idea if and only if it can be well carried out...... But this is Naija with racketeering syndrom
No qualms, na to japa go renew papers for other state.

1 Like

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by pannyman(m): 8:50am On Nov 30, 2021
naptu2:

Thanks for this historical perspective. I really like this.

3 Likes

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by Eriokanmi: 8:51am On Nov 30, 2021
naptu2:

I remember this very well. In as much as I see this as a welcome development, Tinubu and his cronies will never allow this to work because of the billions he rakes into his pocket monthly through mc oluomo and co. This is a reason I've always been an advocate of change in lagos. With a functional rail system, transport problem in lagos will be a thing of the past. If you've been to London, you'd understand what I'm saying. London would have been worse than lagos without a functional rail system. Sadly, Buhari stopped Pa Jakande in the 80s when he flagged off this rail project. We'd have nipped the age-long transport woes in the bud by now. Over 30 years down the line, they're still shouting Lagos Lite Rail. Shame on the rogue we have in power which many call their visionary leader. The cost of the 3 of his private jets will buy many couches.

Table will soon turn and we'd see the real development we've been yearning for in Lagos. Bus transportation will never solve our transportation problem, even if they construct BRT lanes in the sky

1 Like

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by Dannyset(m): 8:51am On Nov 30, 2021
grin

Cash out policy for the Enforcement Agencies.

1 Like

Re: LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January by kenbee(f): 8:52am On Nov 30, 2021
let the roads be vehicle worthy first! before checking if the vehicle is road worthy

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Ford Escape A Good Car / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint / Why Do They Put Car Batteries In The Trunk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.