Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not (1012 Views)

Which One Is More Serious 'a Sin' Or 'a Crime' / What Does The Bible Say About Makeup And The Use Of Jewelry / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by jimiobanta(m): 7:24pm On Nov 30, 2021
If the use of jewelry is a sin, many a woman will gladly go to hell, just to continue putting on items that do not add to their beauty. It only calls attention to itself as a separate entity.

Now the question is: Is it a sin or not

I believe it is sinful and amount to a strange fire in that, use of jewelries seeks to add human works to the temple of God which He has declared "very good" at the end of human creation.

Additionally, I will like the following scriptures to be considered as to what it means:

Gen 35:2-4 ISV 2 Jacob announced to his household and to everyone with him, “Throw away the foreign gods that you’ve kept among you, purify yourselves, and change your clothes. 3 Then let’s get up and go to Bethel, where I’ll build an altar to the God who answered me when I was in distress and who was with me on the road, wherever I went.” 4 So they handed over to Jacob all their foreign gods on which they had been depending, along with the rings that they were wearing on their ears. Jacob buried them under the oak that grew near Shechem.

The first time jewelry was mentioned in the Bible, it was a gift given to Rebecca by Abraham servant in his quest to find a wife for Isaac.
By Jacob's generation, jewelry has become identified with idols and that which should not be worn/used in the presence of God. This indicates use of jewelry is a defilement of the worship process, Jacob intended doing or an abomination which could bring the wrath of God instead of a blessing. Conclusion: Use of jewelry equates Idolatry and a profanity before God

Exo 33:4-5 ISV 4 When the people heard this troubling word, they mourned, and no one put on his ornaments. 5 The LORD had told Moses, “Say to the Israelis, ‘You are an obstinate people, and if for one moment I went up among you, I would put an end to you. Now take off your ornaments so I may decide what to do with you.’”

In this passage, the children of Israel have worshipped a golden calf made from their jewelry, therefore abusing and perverting God's provisions for them. God's judgement, appear not before me in ornaments. Is this judgement a permanent one. It is. God judgement stated is permanent and changes not

We see a consistency with the former passage above. Present not yourself before God decked in jewelleries.

Eze 7:19 KJ2000 They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their stomachs: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity.

In this passage gold and silver were denigrated by God and discribed as that which cannot save.
God also called gold and silver a stumbling block and the means of His people iniquity

1Ti 2:9 KJ2000 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with decency and propriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Here we see in 1Ti 2:9 a standard to dress modestly and in a manner devoid of worldliness and jewelleries.

1Pe 3:3-5 KJ2000 3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of braiding the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; 4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. 5 For after this manner in former times the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:

This passage of 1Pet 3:3-5 finalized everything that the adornments/ornaments suitable for the people of God is in Godly character.

From the consistency of all passages above, use of worldly adornments such as jewelleries and attachments are not recommended.

Further more you may listen to this Bible study audio for more clearification. You will need to download it from Google drive. It is about 10mb

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fka1nIQ5WZJnSefsQav55qbUjbC_Z7Qh/view?usp=drivesdk
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ammishaddai: 7:26pm On Nov 30, 2021
That's your opinion, but some believe otherwise . But I will advice that you let the Holy Spirit convict each man of what sin is . You using scriptures only attracts arguments that wouldn't benefit the body Christ
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by hakeem4(m): 7:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
grin
Ammishaddai:
That's your opinion, but some believe otherwise . But I will advice that you let the Holy Spirit convict each man of what sin is . You using scriptures only attracts arguments that wouldn't benefit the body Christ
But the Holy Spirit is causing confusion in the midst of people who believe him

1 Like

Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ammishaddai: 7:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
hakeem4:
;DBut the Holy Spirit is causing confusion in the midst of people who believe him
Not really . It is men that are doing that
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by hakeem4(m): 7:33pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ammishaddai:
Not really . It is men that are doing that
well, I do not know so much about the bible. But from my primary school bible class, I remember the 10 commandments and I do not think any of them condemned the wearing of jewelries, so I can presume that it is not a sin

1 Like

Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by jimiobanta(m): 7:34pm On Nov 30, 2021
Well said!
But too many Christians do not have the level of relationship to hear by themselves what the Lord is saying to them. Even the Lord has to repeat, repeatedly "he who have ears , let hear what the Spirit is saying to the church..

This
Ammishaddai:
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ammishaddai: 7:35pm On Nov 30, 2021
hakeem4:
well, I do not know so much about the bible. But from my primary school bible class, I remember the 10 commandments and I do not think any of them condemned the wearing of jewelries, so I can presume that it is not a sin
I'm not here to argue scriptures with anyone
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by donbachi(m): 7:35pm On Nov 30, 2021
Everybody with him own.
When the holy spirit told Jesus mother of conceiving a child.alcohol was not mention as a thing to be forbidden.

But,John's mother was told not to allow her son take alcohol.
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ammishaddai: 7:36pm On Nov 30, 2021
jimiobanta:
Well said!
But too many Christians do not have the level of relationship to hear by themselves what the Lord is saying to them. Even the Lord has to repeat, repeatedly "he who have ears , let hear what the Spirit is saying to the church..

This
That's true
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by federal9: 8:27pm On Nov 30, 2021
False preachers. I don't know what jewelry has to do with your mood for shipping God.

Why do you wear sandals?

Why wear a ring?

Why make use of things that came from technology?
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
jimiobanta:
If the use of jewelry is a sin, many a woman will gladly go to hell, just to continue putting on items that do not add to their beauty. It only calls attention to itself as a separate entity.

I believe it is sinful and amount to a strange fire in that, use of jewelries seeks to add human works to the temple of God which He has declared "very good" at the end of human creation.

Additionally, I will like the following scriptures to be considered as to what it means:
Most of you lie when you claim you have read the Bible from start to finish, and I don't understand for the life of me why anyone would do that. undecided

OP, sin is not arbitrarily defined in scripture. God is the only one who can decree a thing as sin, and this He does in His Law and agreement with His people. In fact it is a sin against God for anyone to declare a thing sin, without God first doing so. undecided

The details of God's Old Covenant Law is found written of in the books of Exodus, Leviticus , Numbers and Deuteronomy. Even though the Israelites made a calf out of gold and jewelry which God Himself gave to them when they were leaving the land or Egypt, God never decreed gold or jewelry sins in the Law which He have to them for living in the land of Canaan. undecided

Even after the golden calf incident, God is recorded to have given gold, and jewelry to His people numerous times. By suggesting jewelry sin, you not only sin against God but label Him a fool. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by jimiobanta(m): 6:11am On Dec 01, 2021
federal9:
False preachers. I don't know what jewelry has to do with your mood for shipping God.

Why do you wear sandals?

Why wear a ring?

Why make use of things that came from technology?

Why wear jewelry both for layman, preacher and unbeliever?
What specific value does it add to a person life except as an object of idolation
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by jimiobanta(m): 6:19am On Dec 01, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Most of you lie when you claim you have read the Bible from start to finish, and I don't understand for the life of me why anyone would do that. undecided

OP, sin is not arbitrarily defined in scripture. God is the only one who can decree a thing as sin, and this He does in His Law and agreement with His people. In fact it is a sin against God for anyone to declare a thing sin, without God first doing so. undecided

The details of God's Old Covenant Law is found written of in the books of Exodus, Leviticus , Numbers and Deuteronomy. Even though the Israelites made a calf out of gold and jewelry which God Himself gave to them when they were leaving the land or Egypt, God never decreed gold or jewelry sins in the Law which He have to them for living in the land of Canaan. undecided

Even after the golden calf incident, God is recorded to have given gold, and jewelry to His people numerous times. By suggesting jewelry sin, you not only sin against God but label Him a fool. undecided

Gold and silver were the means of exchange in those days and even now. Jewelry could be melted and it's value used as a means of exchange.

Your inability to read the Bible completely once is not a barrier to others who delight in reading the Bible daily in study and to meditate upon it as commanded by God

1 Like

Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Kobojunkie: 6:23am On Dec 01, 2021
jimiobanta:
1. Gold and silver were the means of exchange in those days and even now. Jewelry could be melted and it's value used as a means of exchange.

2. Your inability to read the Bible completely once is not a barrier to others who delight in reading the Bible daily in study and to meditate upon it as commanded by God
1. Wrong! Food, and even God's Shekel was equally used in those days. undecided

2. You obviously have never actually read the Bible for yourself and this is why you concluded that gold and silver were the means of exchange in those days. undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:10am On Dec 01, 2021
All of you are following Catholics despite your protests against the Roman religion!

It's the Romans that condemned the use of jewelries for their priestesses and that's why the nuns in that religion don't put on jewelries, this has nothing to do with the Bible or God's people:

When the camels had finished drinking, the man took out for her a gold nose ring weighing a half shekel and two bracelets of gold weighing ten shekels! Genesis 24:22

When he saw the nose ring and the bracelets on the hands of his sister and heard the words of his sister Re·bekʹah, who was saying, “This is the way the man spoke to me,” he came to meet the man, who was still there standing by the camels at the spring. Genesis 24:30

God's people have always use jewelries {Ezekiel 16:8-13} their laws never condemned it neither was jewelries condemned by Jesus or his apostles!

So whoever calls himself/herself a man of God to condemn jewelries is surely a man of God but not a worshiper of the God of Israel, rather that of Jupiter the God of Rome.

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by ThinkinFaculty: 7:56am On Dec 01, 2021
Kobojunkie:

2. You obviously have never actually read the Bible for yourself and this is why you concluded that gold and silver were the means of exchange in those days. undecided
Food and God's shekel! Can you explain what you mean by God's shekel? Because shekel is a unit weight used in those days.
In the Bible The use of silver and gold(pieces/coin) was recorded, Joseph was sold for twenty pieces of silver.
In the Bible (Old testament) the use of trade by barter means of exchange was recorded, during the great famine where people came to trade livestock for food in Egypt. ( But that's understandable it's service for service, food for food).
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by ThinkinFaculty: 8:36am On Dec 01, 2021
jimiobanta:

Gen 35:2-4 ISV 2 Jacob announced to his household and to everyone with him, “Throw away the foreign gods that you’ve kept among you, purify yourselves, and change your clothes. 3 Then let’s get up and go to Bethel, where I’ll build an altar to the God who answered me when I was in distress and who was with me on the road, wherever I went.” 4 So they handed over to Jacob all their foreign gods on which they had been depending, along with the rings that they were wearing on their ears. Jacob buried them under the oak that grew near Shechem.

Exo 33:4-5 ISV 4 When the people heard this troubling word, they mourned, and no one put on his ornaments. 5 The LORD had told Moses, “Say to the Israelis, ‘You are an obstinate people, and if for one moment I went up among you, I would put an end to you. Now take off your ornaments so I may decide what to do with you.’”

Eze 7:19 KJ2000 They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their stomachs: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity.

1Ti 2:9 KJ2000 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with decency and propriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Further more you may listen to this Bible study audio for more clearification. You will need to download it from Google drive. It is about 10mb

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fka1nIQ5WZJnSefsQav55qbUjbC_Z7Qh/view?usp=drivesdk

OP@
First of all If you believe the use of jewelry is a sin! Then it's a sin for you and people will believe so.
Whatever you feel will hinder you to the kingdom of God do away with it.
As far as I'm concerned the bible didn't record the general condemnation of jewelry. Off course there are instances were the jewelries and object of values are asked to be casted away.. You don't wear jewelries to funerals or sad events, prisoner and slaves are not allowed to use jewelries or object of values.( That will be mockery).
You're right jewelry can't save one from the wrath of Lord ( that is to come) either can the bible.
The bible is holy.. The holy book but it's still just a book, it's an object, jewelries are object too. Objects can't go against God's commandments it's not possible.. Only humans can sin(Go against God's commandments and one's believe).
The only time an object can be dimmed sinful is how it is used, how it was aquire or made, what it is used for and when it is used.
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 8:38am On Dec 01, 2021
Ammishaddai:

Sorry o,

Why was the Scripture/Bible given to us?

Why do we have written teachings of Christ? undecided

This is not in any way related to the topic but a question to you. undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 8:45am On Dec 01, 2021
ThinkinFaculty:

The bible is holy.. The holy book but it's still just a book, it's an object, jewelries are object too

The Bible is more than an object, it is profitable for correction and teaching in righteousness. undecided

The Bible contains the teachings and God's breathe (Jesus), it contains the knowledge of the power of God and should never be compared to objects such as jewelries undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by ThinkinFaculty: 8:52am On Dec 01, 2021
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by ThinkinFaculty: 8:57am On Dec 01, 2021
Ayo081:

The Bible is more than an object, it is profitable for correction and teaching in righteousness. undecided

The Bible contains the teachings and God's breathe (Jesus), it contains the knowledge of the power of God and should never be compared to objects such as jewelries undecided
Off course you will over look the point.
Tell me can the bible save you?

The bible is powerful Yes I know.. I never compared the bible to anything. I just brought out the fact that the bible is a book which is an object.
As powerful as the bible is it cannot save you.. if you read it everyday hold it when you pray but still you do not TRULY BELIEVE IN THE DEATH AND RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST you are still not save. The Bible is a record, a guide book not a manual.
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ammishaddai: 8:59am On Dec 01, 2021
[s]
Ayo081:

Sorry o,

Why was the Scripture/Bible given to us?

Why do we have written teachings of Christ? undecided

This is not in any way related to the topic but a question to you. undecided
[/s] I wasn't referring to you. And besides I'm having a conversation with the OP .
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 9:03am On Dec 01, 2021
Ammishaddai:
[s][/s] I wasn't referring to you. And besides I'm having a conversation with the OP .
undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by jimiobanta(m): 9:09am On Dec 01, 2021
Kobojunkie:

You demonstrate your ignorance. Shekel is a measurement standard like we have kilogrammes in this age. Gold, silver and other metals, with other items were measured in shekel eg

1Sa 17:5-7 KJ2000 5 And he had a helmet of bronze upon his head, and he was armed with a coat of mail; and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of bronze. 6 And he had armor of bronze upon his legs, and a javelin of bronze upon his shoulders. 7 And the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron: and one bearing a shield went before him.

Exo 30:23 KJ2000 Take also unto you the finest spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet-smelling cinnamon half as much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet-smelling cane two hundred and fifty shekels,

Exo 38:24-25 KJ2000 24 All the gold that was used for the work in all the work of the holy place, even the gold of the offering, was twenty and nine talents, and seven hundred and thirty shekels, after the shekel of the sanctuary. 25 And the silver of them that were numbered of the congregation was a hundred talents, and a thousand seven hundred and three score and fifteen shekels, after the shekel of the sanctuary:
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 9:13am On Dec 01, 2021
ThinkinFaculty:

Off course you will over look the point

You comparing the Bible to an ordinary object that give no knowledge (such as jewelry) nullifies your point. {Ecc. 10:1} undecided

ThinkinFaculty:

Tell me can the bible save you?

It will do you good to refer back to initial. I did a little of what the bible contains. It is left for you to know if it can save you or not because where else do you get the knowledge of the power of God? undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 9:24am On Dec 01, 2021
ThinkinFaculty:

As powerful as the bible is it cannot save you.. [b]if you read it everyday hold it when you pray but still you do not TRULY BELIEVE IN THE DEATH AND RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST you are still not save.[/b]The Bible is a record, a guide book not a manual.

I actually care to know what brings the knowledge and understanding of the death and resurrection of our Lord (Jesus)? undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by ThinkinFaculty: 9:30am On Dec 01, 2021
Ayo081:

You comparing the Bible to an ordinary object that give no knowledge (such as jewelry) nullifies your point. {Ecc. 10:1}

As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor. The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Even as he walks along the road, the fool lacks sense and shows everyone how stupid he is.

A fool resents knowledge, a fool lacks understanding, a fool has no wisdom.
A fool dwells in his own narrow mind.
I asked you a simple question which requires a one word answer.
Can the bible save you?

Mind you Jesus didn't need scrolls or manuscript to teach or preach neither does the apostles.
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by ThinkinFaculty: 9:35am On Dec 01, 2021
Ayo081:

I actually care to know what brings the knowledge and understanding of the death and resurrection of our Lord (Jesus)? undecided
The Bible holds knowledge, The Holy spirit brings understanding.
I hope you agree with me that knowledge and wisdom cannot save one.
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 9:43am On Dec 01, 2021
ThinkinFaculty:

As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor. The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Even as he walks along the road, the fool lacks sense and shows everyone how stupid he is.

A fool resents knowledge, a fool lacks understanding, a fool has no wisdom.
A fool dwells in his own narrow mind.
I asked you a simple question which requires a one word answer.
Can the bible save you?

Haha grin

Nice one sending the Ecc. back to me grin

Mind you Jesus didn't need scrolls or manuscript to teach or preach neither does the apostles.

Didn't you read of how Jesus attended Bible classes as a child? and didn't go out of context when quoting from the old covenant? undecided

Didn't you read that Paul an Apostle of Christ spent so much time studying the words of Christ? undecided

Didn't you know that often times when Jesus is about teaching, He would start with you have heard... undecided

Which is such as the below:

21“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’

22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 5:21‭-‬22 NIV
undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by Ayo081(m): 9:46am On Dec 01, 2021
ThinkinFaculty:

I hope you agree with me that knowledge and wisdom cannot save one.

It's left to you if the knowledge and the wisdom of God can't save you undecided
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by ThinkinFaculty: 9:58am On Dec 01, 2021
Ayo081:

Haha grin

Nice one sending the Ecc. back to me grin

Didn't you read of how Jesus attended Bible classes as a child? and didn't go out of context when quoting from the old covenant? undecided

Didn't you read that Paul an Apostle of Christ spent so much time studying the words of Christ? undecided

Didn't you know that often times when Jesus is about teaching, He would start with you have heard... undecided

Which is such as the below:

undecided
It's a good thing you're a familiar with the bible.
You study the bible for firm grip(knowledge)
and understanding of God(The holy Trinity).
A bible only own up to it's true worth only In the hands of true believers ( those who are saved already through salvation).
You can't just give the bible to someone who hasn't heard about Christ before to read. ( It hardly works that way).
Peace.
Re: Use Of Jewelry: A Sin Or Not by ThinkinFaculty: 9:59am On Dec 01, 2021
Ayo081:

It's left to you if the knowledge and the wisdom of God can't save you undecided
Thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Satanic Divine Nine / Legalising Abortion In Nigeria / Only God Would Judge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.