Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,984 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? (1499 Views)

Female Teacher Faces Jail For Having Intercourse With Student, 17, Eight Times / Student Faces Disciplinary Action For Drinking Water From Bottle’ During Dinner / 10 Founders Of Worldwide Brands Who Don’t Usually Show Their Faces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by God1000(m): 5:14am On Dec 04, 2021
I want to know the reason behind this? Are people afraid of bullying or body shaming? or just privacy protection?

Only few ones uploaded their profile pictures on this platform.

Though I understand the need to be circumspect in this age of technology that people steal and use photos for nefarious activities, but I don't think that is the issue because we all use other social media platforms such as twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc where we upload our pictures.

Please myn44
Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by orisa37: 6:58am On Dec 04, 2021
IT'S THE FEAR OF L & B MOHAMMED & MUHAMMAD.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by samuel051: 7:02am On Dec 04, 2021
Holy gram
Because of your kpomo lips
Wtf man..
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by verifiablefacts: 7:45am On Dec 04, 2021
Where everyone insults everyone?
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Generalwoodz(m): 8:38am On Dec 04, 2021
HOLY GRAM!
WE'VE got billionaires, millionaires, thousandnaires, hundrednaires and eta all!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by christejames(m): 9:10am On Dec 04, 2021
O! You want Buhari in collusion will Malaming to track me, NwaAmaikpe, Slawormiir down?

If that man can arrest someone that was kind enough to name his beloved goat after him (Buhari), who am I that has never seen anything good in him? cry cry cry shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Ayojideonline(m): 10:32am On Dec 04, 2021
Good question...... cheesy grin
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Apus: 10:45am On Dec 04, 2021
A lot.
1. Being Anonymous allows you to express yourself freely. Imagine exchanging words with a certain moniker only to discover he/she is your employer, pastor or even your own father grin grin.
2. Bully/Stereotype: it's easy for people to attack you, by merely looking at your picture. Similarly it would be quite easy to discern pple's Ethnicity, age, social status, beauty and so on, which can lead to stereotype. We already have these(bully) type here.
3. Security: This is the most important reason most people do not use their pic. It makes them easy target to those who seek mischief.

The lack of these I've mentioned is what makes Nairaland unique. Apart from football, Nairaland is the next thing that brings us all together as a people.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by floss(m): 10:48am On Dec 04, 2021
Very simple reason.
For anonymity purpose, sometimes you might get carried away by emotions that you might start spewing trash or abusing someone, you don't want to feel unsecured while walking on the road, do you?.
The most popular is those making it a point of duty abusing public office holders e.g the president, governors, ministers etc. You don't know everyone behind each moniker in this forum, why make it easy for them to track you by putting your real picture in your profile?
I noticed you are using your real picture, just follow all the rules here and don't get yourself in any trouble or else....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by KingMack(m): 11:15am On Dec 04, 2021
Shout out to us wey dey use our real picture✓✓

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by God1000(m): 1:05pm On Dec 04, 2021
floss:
Very simple reason.
For anonymity purpose, sometimes you might get carried away by emotions that you might start spewing trash or abusing someone, you don't want to feel unsecured while walking on the road, do you?.
The most popular is those making it a point of duty abusing public office holders e.g the president, governors, ministers etc. You don't know everyone behind each moniker in this forum, why make it easy for them to track you by putting your real picture in your profile?
I noticed you are using your real picture, just follow all the rules here and don't get yourself in any trouble or else....
Lol, I don't like hiding my face.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Conner44: 2:39pm On Dec 04, 2021
Nairaland was a faceless forum for a while until Seun added the avatar feature to our profile page. That is where the usual folks upload their pictures.

The one that quizzes me is some known monikers who are in a habit of putting up theirs in the comment sections of various threads regularly

Yet nobody has ever come out to hail them out of familiarity. Imagine a person posting facial pictures weekly here on Nairaland for years and till today nobody has ever come out to say they know that person from church, school, neighborhood, work, dream, etc

Some of these faces end up on the front page or trending sections garnering thousands of views yet no single person recognizes these types of people who post their pictures for us to see. Maybe they’re staunch introverts or don’t have friends or family using smartphones. Maybe in reality they wear hijab or turbans to mask their faces lol but They have become Nairaland local celebrities grin

The day I mistakenly put up my photo on this website i know that my phone won’t rest because I’ve got many friends, colleagues and family who are fortunate enough to be educated and over half of them get dragged to Nairaland daily. angry

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by ashewoboy(m): 2:49pm On Dec 04, 2021
Them nor get money. what did small doctor tell you?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by MufasaLion: 4:33pm On Dec 04, 2021
Apus:
A lot.
1. Being Anonymous allows you to express yourself freely. Imagine exchanging words with a certain moniker only to discover he/she is your employer, pastor or even your own father grin grin.
2. Bully/Stereotype: it's easy for people to attack you, by merely looking at your picture. Similarly it would be quite easy to discern pple's Ethnicity, age, social status, beauty and so on, which can lead to stereotype. We already have these(bully) type here.
3. Security: This is the most important reason most people do not use their pic. It makes them easy target to those who seek mischief.

The lack of these I've mentioned is what makes Nairaland unique. Apart from football, Nairaland is the next thing that brings us all together as a people.

No.1is funny as hell.

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by meobizy(f): 5:09pm On Dec 04, 2021
I don’t want to see the poverty-beaten faces of users here. 90% of those with open identities upload pictures of their slightly attractive friends.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Nlanalyst: 7:11pm On Dec 04, 2021
But nairaland is a faceless forum na Boda dudu.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 04, 2021
It's called privacy and in 2021 where people can steal your identity and people on nairaland stay anonymous to abuse and insult people, lol, even some of the mods on nairaland are also faceless.we have many kids on nairaland I mean 15yr olds that abuse someone older than them, lol

And people on nairaland can abuse you if you post your picture, I remember what they did to saphhire before the mods removed the thread, nairaland is filled with people with no joy, maybe na buhari cause am, lol

But some people are just introverts and the problem is that Nigerians don't understand what privacy means if you come to my house with an invitation i have the right to shoot you it's called trespassing

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by God1000(m): 8:28pm On Dec 04, 2021
meobizy:
I don’t want to see the poverty-beaten faces of users here. 90% of those with open identities upload pictures of their slightly attractive friends.
hmm, you are wicked dear
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by God1000(m): 8:30pm On Dec 04, 2021
walkbrazil4k:
It's called privacy and in 2021 where people can steal your identity and people on nairaland stay anonymous to abuse and insult people, lol, even some of the mods on nairaland are also faceless.we have many kids on nairaland I mean 15yr olds that abuse someone older than them, lol

And people on nairaland can abuse you if you post your picture, I remember what they did to saphhire before the mods removed the thread, nairaland is filled with people with no joy, maybe na buhari cause am, lol

But some people are just introverts and the problem is that Nigerians don't understand what privacy means if you come to my house with an invitation i have the right to shoot you it's called trespassing
You are right, some people are just too savage, sarcastic and satirical, I experienced it recently and I was really hurt, though it has nothing to do with my profile picture.

I created a thread to enlighten people about my tribe, but some mischievous persons hijacked it and lambasted my tribe severely.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by God1000(m): 8:35pm On Dec 04, 2021
Conner44:
Nairaland was a faceless forum for a while until Seun added the avatar feature to our profile page. That is where the usual folks upload their pictures.

The one that quizzes me is some known monikers who are in a habit of putting up theirs in the comment sections of various threads regularly

Yet nobody has ever come out to hail them out of familiarity. Imagine a person posting facial pictures weekly here on Nairaland for years and till today nobody has ever come out to say they know that person from church, school, neighborhood, work, dream, etc

Some of these faces end up on the front page or trending sections garnering thousands of views yet no single person recognizes these types of people who post their pictures for us to see. Maybe they’re staunch introverts or don’t have friends or family using smartphones. Maybe in reality they wear hijab or turbans to mask their faces lol but They have become Nairaland local celebrities grin

The day I mistakenly put up my photo on this website i know that my phone won’t rest because I’ve got many friends, colleagues and family who are fortunate enough to be educated and over half of them get dragged to Nairaland daily. angry
This platform is becoming very toxic, I guess it's one of the reasons people don't put their pictures here
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 04, 2021
God1000:

You are right, some people are just too savage, sarcastic and satirical, I experienced it recently and I was really hurt, though it has nothing to do with my profile picture.

I created a thread to enlighten people about my tribe, but some mischievous persons hijacked it and lambasted my tribe severely.

Yes, you need a tough skin to be online and be ready to push back bullies

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by God1000(m): 8:43pm On Dec 04, 2021
walkbrazil4k:

Yes, you need a tough skin to be online and be ready to push back bullies
I fought back but I was criticized for doing so, the entire thread got derailed.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2021
God1000:

I fought back but I was criticized for doing so, the entire thread got derailed.

Yes that is what happens,let them criticized, it means nothing, NOBODY CAN TELL YOU WHAT TO DO, REMEMBER THAT,STAND ON YOUR OPINION, only the law and the court can tell me what to do. I know many people from nairaland that are not registered,they can't deal with the wahala,they refused to register, fight back and then ignore, if you don't fight back they won't leave you alone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by God1000(m): 8:50pm On Dec 04, 2021
walkbrazil4k:

Yes that is what happens,let them criticized, it means nothing, NOBODY CAN TELL YOU WHAT TO DO, REMEMBER THAT,STAND ON YOUR OPINION, only the law and the court can tell me what to do. I know many people from nairaland that are not registered,they can't deal with the wahala,they refused to register, fight back and then ignore, if you don't fight back they won't leave you alone
thanks bro, enjoy your night

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by wiseone28: 11:42pm On Dec 04, 2021
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by Perfecttouch(m): 1:38am On Dec 05, 2021
If nairaland be like Facebook, enough people go don collect

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by suffering: 7:42am On Dec 05, 2021
Conner44:

At the end of the day they are nobodies and will remain so in the grand scheme of things. Opinions are like assholes and you know the rest. Many times when I receive insults here I’m quick to remind myself that my idiot gateman is more recognized in the real world than users here. The realization makes me sleep better at night.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by meobizy(f): 7:52am On Dec 05, 2021
God1000:
hmm, you are wicked dear
The worst are those who insult someone on an adult matter e.g. a thread about marriage which you gave advice from experience, only for you to later find out the person is yet to write JAMB or WAEC. So, a 14 - 17 year old teenager is telling you an advice which you have lived is rubbish based on which of his/her experience?

Payment to use this forum beforehand will make sense. That way only the serious-minded will populate here. The use of pictures should also get disabled. Too many children are happy posting memes and provide no useful contribution to topics. Twitter and Reddit have the best formats to encourage intelligent debates. Nairaland should follow their example.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Hide Their Faces? by God1000(m): 12:26pm On Dec 05, 2021
meobizy:
The worst are those who insult someone on an adult matter e.g. a thread about marriage which you gave advice from experience, only for you to later find out the person is yet to write JAMB or WAEC. So, a 14 - 17 year old teenager is telling you an advice which you have lived is rubbish based on which of his/her experience?

Payment to use this forum beforehand will make sense. That way only the serious-minded will populate here. The use of pictures should also get disabled. Too many children are happy posting memes and provide no useful contribution to topics. Twitter and Reddit have the best formats to encourage intelligent debates. Nairaland should follow their example.
I agree with you to some extent, but not wholeheartedly.

Knowledge and wisdom has nothing to do with age, it is possible for a young person to give a very good advice that even an elder cannot imagine, though such astute youngsters aren't many, it's just a handful of them that have such ability for ratiocination.

I'm a victim of bullying on this platform, it happened to me last week and I was really heartbroken, unfortunately there's nothing anybody can do about it than to tolerate such behaviour from juveniles here.
That is the negative aspect of easy access to smartphones and social media.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

ASUU: Strike Update / Can A Third Class Degree Holder Get Admission For Pgd In The Uk / The Nigerian Army Dss/ssc Form 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.