Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,461 members, 7,846,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:34 AM

Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged (791 Views)

See The Food Given to my daughter today in school by Government. / TASUED Graduating Student Rejects Boyfriend’s Marriage Proposal With A Big 'NO' / Six Conditions Given To FG By ASUU Before Suspending Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by CampussNews: 12:46pm On Dec 10, 2021
Update from SIGGY .ng

A Ghanaian student at Harvard University named Verda Annan has gotten the world talking after donating her $40,000 (N20,000,000) scholarship to her less privileged classmates, Siggy reports.

Verda Annan, who has been awarded a full scholarship to Havard University, gave away the $40,000 scholarship to her mates who would be attending community colleges.

Taking the podium, she stated that though she was very grateful for the honour bestowed on her, she felt that the scholarship should go to someone who needs it most.

“I am so very grateful for this, but I also know that I am not the one who needs this the most. And knowing my mom went to Community College and how much that was helpful.

“I would be so very grateful if the administration would consider giving this excellent scholarship to someone who is going to community college because I know it is such a great honour, but I also know I am not the most in need of it,” she said.

Speaking to Steve Harvey on the ‘Steve on Watch’ show, she explained that her actions were influenced by principles she had picked up from family, friends, and communities abroad and in Ghana.

“My Assistant Principal gave a speech and it reminded me a lot of the principles and values that I was taught by my mom and my siblings and my community in Ghana, and you know here in America and that I live by.

“And we talk about integrity and doing the right thing and kindness, and all these things that are so right, and I was sitting there, and I knew immediately it was the right thing to do because I had the chance to make a difference in someone else’s life to help somebody else and there was just no excuse at that point.”

Verda Annan hopes to be a health expert in future to help alleviate the dire health care situation in Ghana and across the world.

She was gifted a 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe by sponsors of the Steve on Watch show.

https://campusnews.medium.com/student-rejects-n20m-scholarship-says-it-should-be-given-to-less-privileged-5e6e795fd452

2 Likes

Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by akosy(m): 5:31pm On Dec 10, 2021
If na Naija dem for done use insult finish this babe life. grin grin grin
Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by dawnomike(m): 6:27pm On Dec 10, 2021
This is plausible... She did well
Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 10, 2021
That's her wish make u no disturb her oh.
Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by Lordbinsmar: 7:06pm On Dec 10, 2021
Selflessness at its peak.

Kudos to you young Scholar.

Keep flying.
Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by cassidy1996(m): 7:27pm On Dec 10, 2021
hmmm...
Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by Aliyumichika(m): 7:54pm On Dec 10, 2021
Kudos to her..
Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by BanevsJoker(m): 8:03pm On Dec 10, 2021
She should also give the car to the less privileged.
Nonsense.
Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by Falzan: 8:06pm On Dec 10, 2021
The heart of gold will always show

ma. You have contributed ur share in changing the life of more than one student.
Re: Student Rejects N20m Scholarship, Says It Should Be Given To Less Privileged by Alexaonfleek: 9:22pm On Dec 10, 2021
BanevsJoker:
[s][/s]She should also give the car to the less privileged.
Nonsense[s][/s].
Waaaaa

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: Negotiation Panel Report Ready / UI Professor Harasses Female Student / Is Time an Illusion? How Long Is 1 Hour In Space?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.