Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited (9849 Views)

Man Prevents Arik Air From Taking Off In Abuja (Photos) / Nigerian Stowaway Dies In Arik’s Undercarriage / Dead Body Found In Arik Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by manny4life(m): 12:43am On Jun 15, 2011
@ Odiaero,

Chei, you have suffered, how many people on your tail? You must be doing something wrong to piss this people off.

as for the @OP, while I believe some of his stories, others seem to be exaggerated.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by upe(f): 1:02am On Jun 15, 2011
my fellow nairalanders,, wat this guy is saying about arik is 100 percent the gospel truth,, my hubby happens to work here and has told me most of this things before now,,Arik air is more interested in the welfare of expatrates than its nigerian workers,,its a pity no salaries paid for 3 months now,, no benefits wats so eva
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by 8inch: 6:54am On Jun 15, 2011
Its a well known fact that Arik flight schedules are never on time.
But this past sunday (June 12th), ‎I vowed never to use them again.
‎I always book online to avoid the stress of paying cash @ the airport, with crowd of touts, collecting teller n all, and so saturday night, ‎I check their flight schedule, select a flight for 14:50 from ph to lagos, pay online and ‎I'm sent a confirmation email
‎I get to the airport by 13:50, go to the counter to get my ticket and they tell me that there was never a 14:50 flight, that my flight time was 13:35 and ‎I've missed the flight.
Any other part of the world, the airline would have apologised, and put me on the next available flight with no additional cost. But Arik insisted that ‎I pay for ticket upgrade so that ‎I can be put on the next flight.
‎I asked to see the manager, showed him the email sent to me by them with the wrong flight time, he acknowlege that its their fault, but still insisted ‎I pay the fee.
While ‎I was busy telling them that ‎I'm not meant to pay anything as the fault was entirely theirs, one of the lady staff said, "If ‎I were you, ‎I'll go and pay now cos the flight is almost full"
So as not to loose on both sides, ‎I pay the fee, and arik being theselves, a flight for 5:30pm left 9:15pm
ARIK AIR, NEVER AGAIN!!
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by OmoOlorun: 7:58am On Jun 15, 2011
I agree that what is served on International flights is poison. I have taken ill both times I flew Arik from London. Something definitely wrong with the pepper served with the rice.

It is obvious that Arik will not continue as a business in not too distant future unless there is a management change. Business strategy is poor. How can you explain going half empty daily from Abuja to London and back. I have been on that route at least twice and the plane was hardly half full. Something is wrong with the business model. The company also has PR issues. My bag was broken into and an item worth over 100 pds was stolen. I reported to the company and the website says I will be contacted within 28 working days. It is over two months and I have not been contacted. What a useless company. I was told while in England that if you have problem with the company in Nigeria (i.e, you express grievance over an issue which customer services should take seriously) that they will set the police on you and get you arrested if you prove difficult. What a dying company. You can recognise businesses that will fail from their customer services.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by forkadict(m): 9:08am On Jun 15, 2011
8inch+:

Its a well known fact that Arik flight schedules are never on time.
But this past sunday (June 12th), ‎I vowed never to use them again.
‎I always book online to avoid the stress of paying cash @ the airport, with crowd of touts, collecting teller n all, and so saturday night, ‎I check their flight schedule, select a flight for 14:50 from ph to lagos, pay online and ‎I'm sent a confirmation email
‎I get to the airport by 13:50, go to the counter to get my ticket and they tell me that there was never a 14:50 flight, that my flight time was 13:35 and ‎I've missed the flight.
Any other part of the world, the airline would have apologised, and put me on the next available flight with no additional cost. But Arik insisted that ‎I pay for ticket upgrade so that ‎I can be put on the next flight.
‎I asked to see the manager, showed him the email sent to me by them with the wrong flight time, he acknowlege that its their fault, but still insisted ‎I pay the fee.
While ‎I was busy telling them that ‎I'm not meant to pay anything as the fault was entirely theirs, one of the lady staff said, "If ‎I were you, ‎I'll go and pay now cos the flight is almost full"
So as not to loose on both sides, ‎I pay the fee, and arik being theselves, a flight for 5:30pm left 9:15pm
ARIK AIR, NEVER AGAIN!!

I had a similar experience with them in 2007. I was supposed to fly to owerri from lagos at a particular time. I can't remember the specific details now. I arrived at the airport about one and a half hours earlier only for me to hear that my flight which was supposed to take off about one and a half hours later was already boarding. I just considered myself lucky and boarded the flight. I didn't know what's up at the time because that was my first time of flying in about 21 years. I was completely taken in by the useless company's glamour and all their effizy. But after that incident, i vowed not to fly with them again. and guess what, Ive kept true to my words. But who are the (sorry to say) stoooopid passengers that still patronise the idio.ts? I just wonder.

Please people, don't let us just keep stomaching sheet. Let us act. We can very well act by withdrawing our patronage ASA to the forking P. When MTN almost killed me with crazy call tariffs, na once i drop dem line start with Etisalat and Ive been so happy i did that. Arik sef fork up, na once i change airline. Once again folks, lets avoid the bas.tards (arik) and also spread the bad news around. If we all do this, lets see for how long the goons will survive.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by parislomo(f): 10:11am On Jun 15, 2011
laidback:

Please note that i am not sucker enough to believe that everything the poster says about Arik air is true. hell no i dont. But you coming on here to present such narrow minded, imbecill.ic defence on Arik's behalf is what i find disgusting. You need to develop a mature, intelligent and objective means of viewing issues man.

Everything written there is true! Seriously, the poster was fair enough because I can't imagine the post originating from me, I'd have said more. . . .
He was able to highlight the major problems without exaggerating #Idoffmyhat
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by dustydee: 3:49pm On Jun 15, 2011
So what has been done about the issue at hand?Have the workers been paid?
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by soochukwu(m): 3:58pm On Jun 15, 2011
adejoro74.Thank you very much for bringing Arik Air ltd to public opinion,no doubt Arik is the biggest aviation company in Nigeria if not Africa & still have the prospect of getting bigger.your write up about ARIK AIR LTD i agree with you 90%.i actually work for Arik,for the past three & half years i have been @ arik i`m yet to go on annual leave,reasons initially there was no leave,then when Eventually leave was approved no leave renumerations,so such leave does not have any meaning.The last time i was paid salary was late April for the month of MARCH.But i have just one advice for NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT,ARIK AIR Must not be allowed to fail.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by parislomo(f): 4:00pm On Jun 15, 2011
dustydee:

So what has been done about the issue at hand?Have the workers been paid?

Nope . . . . April 76, 2011 sad
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by Gbenge77(m): 4:51pm On Jun 15, 2011
Pathetic.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by Blokyll(f): 5:20pm On Jun 15, 2011
my sis works in arik and everytng here is sooooooo true cry d poor gal's so broke now, i wonder how she copes, 3mnths and counting!!! i remember a certain time i went to see her at her office and i wanted to see one other friend of ours that works there too; i kept calling but the poor guy couldn't pick up because his boss (oyinbo guy) was in the office with him. i suppose picking up calls is a constituted offence wen workin wit fake oyinbo people from pakinsta shocked, heheheheheheh, just praying my sis gets anoda job soon and leaves Mr. Johnson's coy befr it fails, as it sure will! undecided
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by DisGuy: 7:21pm On Jun 15, 2011
where do people get the strength to go to work without paying three months salary!!

I wont even get out of bed!!
soochukwu:

adejoro74.Thank you very much for bringing Arik Air ltd to public opinion,no doubt Arik is the biggest aviation company in Nigeria if not Africa & still have the prospect of getting bigger.your write up about ARIK AIR LTD i agree with you 90%.i actually work for Arik,for the past three & half years i have been @ arik i`m yet to go on annual leave,reasons initially there was no leave,then when Eventually leave was approved no leave renumerations,so such leave does not have any meaning.The last time i was paid salary was late April for the month of MARCH.But i have just one advice for NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT,ARIK AIR Must not be allowed to fail.

Jonathan is on the throne, they will probably benefit from some bail out BUT they wont last with the way they are going, the chairman should channel is lool from all the power station contract into the aircraft himself!
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by dustydee: 12:03pm On Jun 16, 2011
What's the latest? Have they been paid?
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by DisGuy: 1:16pm On Jun 16, 2011
sorry Blokyll =, I deleted the comment already, so I'll have to delete yours so others don't get confused
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by parislomo(f): 1:52pm On Jun 16, 2011
No pay yet for naija staff, although there's gist money has been transferred to LHR office for June salary cry cry cry
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by wiseman2: 2:21pm On Jun 16, 2011
you can imagine!june salary is ready for london staff yet we're still being owed 3 months.God dey o.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by joshuajohn: 3:23pm On Jun 16, 2011
all what the poster said is true, oadiro has mental problem. upon all this allegation on Arik the staff are yet to rceive april and may salary in midle of june. but they can huridly pay sahcol that withdrew there service this morning over 5 hundred million naira out of there debt. can somebody justify this act of wickedness. yet the staffs are still coming to work everyday without protesting.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by Sicherheit(m): 7:03pm On Jun 16, 2011
This is a sad thing to read. In another country, the staff will come together and fight for their rights but not Naija. Someone is treating them like dogs and they take it because they have the[i] e go better [/i] mentality. They can't coorporate and don't show up for work to teach the management a lesson because they are afraid of being let go. Only in Nigeria will people prefer to show up for work and not get paid than not show up and get what's due to them - RESPECT. undecided
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by ada24: 10:25pm On Jun 16, 2011
I believe this story cos I know that a few companies treat their Nigerian staff like this and treat their non-nigerian like God's gift to humanity.

what i don't understand is how people go to work and they haven't been paid, is it that there are no employment contracts anymore. Nah wah o - employment law really needs to be looked into.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by MICKYGIRL: 11:37pm On Jun 16, 2011
all he said is exactly wht is happening in Arik AIR.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by dejummy(f): 11:44am On Jun 17, 2011
Collins am sure u know theres always an element of truth in every rumour carried. Its not new to hear such stories aboyt Arik air, i av friends there as cabin crew dat can testify to it.But its really unfair on d part of d nigerians there, its all rubbish, wats our biz wit dier biutiful aircrafts ? no one cares abut dat but d welfare of d employees whether black or white, its cheer injustice. 10 nigerians died while on duty n there was no form of compensation to d family members, now tell me wat do u av 2 say abt dis ? whether its true or not, d POSTER shouldn't bother himself abt wat pple say.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by Rhea(f): 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2011
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/plane-crash-averted-in-enugu/

Arik aircraft in near mishap
On June 20, 2011 · In News

By Tony Edike & Daniel Eteghe

ENUGU – WHAT would have been a tragic air disaster was averted, Monday, when an Arik aircraft scheduled to fly Enugu to Abuja by 8.50am almost crashed four minutes after take-off from Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu.

The over 100 passengers on board would have perished if the pilot had not turned round and made an emergency landing.

Captain of the Boeing 737-800 aircraft with registration number F-MJK, whose name could not be ascertained, was quoted to have said he turned back to the airport when he noticed that the right engine had failed.

Meanwhile, speaking to aviation correspondents in Lagos on the incident, Dr. Harold Demuren, Director-General of Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, said the air return was necessitated by the indicator in the cockpit, adding that it was the best option the pilot took to avoid a fatal accident.

He said: “The pilot took a precautionary measure to ensure safety of the passengers.”

Spokesman of Arik Air, Mr. Ola Banji, said: “What happened was that the captain noticed an indication light on and had to make an air return as a precautionary measure.

“At no time was the lives of the passengers put in danger.”

However, NCAA has already grounded the aircraft until it is certified to fly again.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by larimo(m): 7:52am On Jun 24, 2011
I spoke to a friend, who worked at arik until she left for personal reasons (nothing to do with the job) and she CONFIRMED that the allegations are VERY TRUE; from the attitude of the arik boss to the non-payment of ground staff salaries.

- She said everyone is scared of the boss. They all flee when they hear that 'chairman is coming' grin embarassed
- The expatriates are given the best positions even when over-competent Nigerians are there. angry
- Staff can be over-used cry
- Salaries not paid to especially ground staff. Cabin crew, she said, didnt have the salary problems, while she was there.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by wiseman2: 9:32am On Jun 24, 2011
breaking news!!!!!arik finally paid 2 months salary together.
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by tEsLim(m): 9:53am On Jun 24, 2011
Well this is not news to me its kinda something that opens in an average Nigerian company. Its not only Arik. Its all around you companies not fulfilling their contracts with staffs etc.

For Arik I will never fly that airline again unless its the online airline going to the route. One time I was to visit a friend in Freetown (Sierialeonne) the white guy at the check in counter misguided me and made me miss my flight. He made me queue with passengers going Heathrow. I explained my route he said its same queue. Then I had to pay $100 penalty for missing flight and $50 to reschedule even though one of their staffs. I tried to argue the girl for counter just dey look me say sit down their all this na waste of time. I had to swipe $150 straight out on the POS sad .
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by Shokoloko(f): 10:35am On Jun 26, 2011
well i noticed that late last year all group flights in our bank nationwide have subtly been moved from arik solely to other airlines citing security and safety reasons. i thought it was a joke and even flew arik two weeks ago. but now i see the bank's management knew about this a long time ago. i even had to go to pH intl airport after hearing this. at first some staff were afraid to talk but later they confirmed and i was told that a Mr. Odiaero is the name of a younger cousin to joseph ikhide
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by parislomo(f): 8:29am On Jun 27, 2011
Congrats W3 folks! 2 months salary at a go shocked maybe CHAIRMAN now hears stuff
Well, the sidon look continues #we are watching!
Re: Echose Of Tyranny In Arik Air Limited by dustydee: 11:07am On Jun 27, 2011
I guess it pays to speak up and not die in silence. I hope they don't owe workers ever again

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dana Air Wins Best Customer Service Airline Of The Year Award / Scheduling Us Visa Appointment Date / Policeman Knocks Down Student While Chasing Motorcyclist In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.