Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,138 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Should I Take This Job?(photo) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should I Take This Job?(photo) (36944 Views)

Should I Quit This Job? / They Say Web Dev'ment Is Saturated, What TECH Stack Should I Take On / Seunosewa Abeg Unflag My Site :: Na God I Take Beg You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 10:44am On Dec 11, 2021
I've been learning frontend web development for a while now and after getting to a stage I react I decided to test the waters as regards to available jobs. I've been spamming LinkedIn and Indeed with applications though I apply for mostly Internship or Entry level positions.

Its been over two weeks I've been sending applications and only one Lebanese company has contacted me for an assessment and I've applied for over 200 jobs within that period.

The issue now is that the Lebanese company gave me a mini full stack project to complete within 48 hours though the time can be extended on request. Now I'm just a rookie frontend developer with no experience at all with back end, the frontend of the project has to be done with react which I can handle but I'm stuck at the back end.

I downloaded tones of tutorials on node js pertaining the project but I can't just wrap my head around it within such limited time frame. I have a little below 24 hours before the deadline and I've made little or no head way.

Even if I manage to get the project done won't I be biting more than I can chew knowing it's a full stack position? Or should I find a way around the project and learn on the job?. I wouldn't want my desperation for a job to put me into trouble.
Should I let this one slide and wait for opportunities that suit my current skill set while I further develop my skills? I haven't slept for the past 24 hours due to this project and I'm stressed out already.

Please my bosses I need your input on this matter.

Modified: I've been able to create a react app that displays the CSV file table on the frontend but I'm just overwhelmed with the back end

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by slimjohn2k5: 10:53am On Dec 11, 2021
Search for guys that are good in it from Nairaland or other forum to help you do it and u will learn from it.

The world is going towards getting the job without knowing jack. That's y you see freelancer jobs everywhere.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by qtguru(m): 10:57am On Dec 11, 2021
It is not possible to consume so much in 24hrs , just let it go and prepare well for the next one. Personally join Upworks and start small till you gain good experience or do a big personal project.

also watch youtube there's always someone explaining a concept better

102 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 11:02am On Dec 11, 2021
qtguru:
It is not possible to consume so much in 24hrs , just let it go and prepare well for the next one. Personally join Upworks and start small till you gain good experience or do a big personal project.

Thanks boss, I currently have a full stack e commerce site I'm working on though I'm still at the UI stage, as for freelancing I'm on fiver already but no jobs yet and I tried upwork but was rejected.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 11, 2021
Its not really that hard a task.

But you can't learn databases, REST API, request/response cycle and all that in 48 hours.

You can learn on the job but not without a solid grasp of the basics. In my opinion, you're getting ahead of yourself with this and should calm down and do more projects.

43 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 11:39am On Dec 11, 2021
DrLevi:

But you can't learn databases, REST API, request/response cycle and all that in 48 hours.

You can learn on the job but not without a solid grasp of the basics. In my opinion, you're getting ahead of yourself with this and should calm down and do more projects.
Thanks boss, I will let it slide and work harder

9 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:09pm On Dec 11, 2021
DrLevi:

Gbam

4 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:10pm On Dec 11, 2021
Op let this slide. There's always gonna be more opportunities and continue upskilling. At this point since you are getting interviews already I won't advise you to learn backend or do more projects. Start building up your algorithm skills. Those jobs are going to start coming in anytime soon. I really like the fact that you are very intentional about getting a job and have been applying to jobs. This is what I tell people. See the company is from Lebanon. I tell people with regards to tech enter LinkedIn and apply to jobs worldwide. It doesn't matter the country the skill is the same.

Well since you have spent time what I will do is send in just the front-end and let the company know that I am just a front end developer.

45 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 1:25pm On Dec 11, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Op let this slide. There's always gonna be more opportunities and continue upskilling. At this point since you are getting interviews already I won't advise you to learn backend or do more projects. Start building up your algorithm skills. Those jobs are going to start coming in anytime soon. I really like the fact that you are very intentional about getting a job and have been applying to jobs. This is what I tell people. See the company is from Lebanon. I tell people with regards to tech enter LinkedIn and apply to jobs worldwide. It doesn't matter the country the skill is the same.

Well since you have spent time what I will do is send in just the front-end and let the company know that I am just a front end developer.
Thanks boss, I will do just that

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by plat0: 2:34pm On Dec 11, 2021
OP don't you have developer friends around.

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 11, 2021
qtguru:

I want to talk to you bro.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by LikeAking: 4:29pm On Dec 11, 2021
good luck to the OP.

also folow Tranzengatsu advice.

The guy is a real hustler and smart....See hyping.

Wetin OP mean sef?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 11, 2021
@OP

Do not get carried away and stress yourself by this job as there is no guarantee of a job offer after doing and submitting this test. This might just even be a quick work for their own client and they want to use you to do it for free. Try and build up a portfolio and you can even use this test as your own portfolio and just add some changes to make it look different and then put it online to show employers your skills or you can use it to bid for freelance contracts.

And also any company wanting an applicant to do this test in 48 hours is not serious, if you have done a similar project before and just reusing existing codes then fine but doing this for the first time within 48 hours will put even an experienced developer under alot of stress. In a real life work environment a project like this might take up to 3 months or more and you might even be working in a team.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by bet9ja(m): 8:20pm On Dec 11, 2021
Supreme145:
I've been learning frontend web development for a while now and after getting to a stage I react I decided to test the waters as regards to available jobs. I've been spamming LinkedIn and Indeed with applications though I apply for mostly Internship or Entry level positions.

Its been over two weeks I've been sending applications and only one Lebanese company has contacted me for an assessment and I've applied for over 200 jobs within that period.

The issue now is that the Lebanese company gave me a mini full stack project to complete within 48 hours though the time can be extended on request. Now I'm just a rookie frontend developer with no experience at all with back end, the frontend of the project has to be done with react which I can handle but I'm stuck at the back end.

I downloaded tones of tutorials on node js pertaining the project but I can't just wrap my head around it within such limited time frame. I have a little below 24 hours before the deadline and I've made little or no head way.

Even if I manage to get the project done won't I be biting more than I can chew knowing it's a full stack position? Or should I find a way around the project and learn on the job?. I wouldn't want my desperation for a job to put me into trouble.
Should I let this one slide and wait for opportunities that suit my current skill set while I further develop my skills? I haven't slept for the past 24 hours due to this project and I'm stressed out already.

Modified: I've been able to create a react app that displays the CSV file table on the frontend but I'm just overwhelmed with the back end

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb
Please don't be desperate for a job. Spamming for job openings with over 200 applications is not a good proceeding. Stop applying and start enjoying building dummy projects and adding it to your portfolio while positioning yourself.

Always remember that a good Engineer doesn't look for a company to work for. In contrast, companies are always looking for a good Engineer to work with.

To give you a clue, always attend to interviews like you don't really need the job. It works better that way.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 8:51pm On Dec 11, 2021
bet9ja:

Please don't be desperate for a job. Spamming for job openings with over 200 applications is not a good proceeding. Stop applying and start enjoying building dummy projects and adding it to your portfolio while positioning yourself.

Always remember that a good Engineer doesn't look for a company to work for. In contrast, companies are always looking for a good Engineer to work with.

To give you a clue, always attend to interviews like you don't really need the job. It works better that way.
I already have dummy projects and I'm still working on some, but if I don't apply how am I going to get a job?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:21pm On Dec 11, 2021
bet9ja:

Honestly this advice only works when you are at a senior developer. Op please don't take this advice. I also spammed jobs before I got my first job. People I advised to spam jobs have gotten good jobs very good. One I know in fact works for two companies. One in the UK and the other in Australia. He earns over 3 million a month and he hasn't been coding professionally for up to a year. Even I don't earn up to one million though my earnings are in the high six digits range.

Spam and apply please you are a junior Dev. If you build 100 things from videos and copying and pasting stack overflow solutions it will absolutely never be up to standard. Get into the industry and learn how things work at an industry standard.

What I will advise you op as you are getting interviews is to work on your algorithms. Don't waste your time building any new thing. The ones you have done are okay.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 9:28pm On Dec 11, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly this advice only works when you are at a senior developer. Op please don't take this advice. I also spammed jobs before I got my first job. People I advised to spam jobs have gotten good jobs very good. One I know in fact works for two companies. One in the UK and the other in Australia. He earns over 3 million a month and he hasn't been coding professionally for up to a year. Even I don't earn up to one million though my earnings are in the high six digits range.

Spam and apply please you are a junior Dev. If you build 100 things from videos and copying and pasting stack overflow solutions it will absolutely never be up to standard. Get into the industry and learn how things work at an industry standard.

What I will advise you op as you are getting interviews is to work on your algorithms. Don't waste your time building any new thing. The ones you have done are okay.
Thanks boss, I did DSA during the university but never really know its application practically, I will put the knowledge into use now.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:30pm On Dec 11, 2021
Supreme145:

Thanks boss, I did DSA during the university but never really know its application practically, I will put the knowledge into use now.
Trust me start now that you are job hunting. Infact all your time should be spent on DSA and spamming openings on LinkedIn and indeed. Data structures and algorithms is the difference between someone getting a job of 200 to 500k and another getting a job of 3 to 5 million a month. It's the absolute difference.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by jesmond3945: 11:06pm On Dec 11, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Trust me start now that you are job hunting. Infact all your time should be spent on DSA and spamming openings on LinkedIn and indeed. Data structures and algorithms is the difference between someone getting a job of 200 to 500k and another getting a job of 3 to 5 million a month. It's the absolute difference.
God bless you for helping Op and other people reading this. What of oop is it better than dsa?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:17pm On Dec 11, 2021
jesmond3945:
God bless you for helping Op and other people reading this. What of oop is it better than dsa?
Well you will need knowledge of oop when solving some DSA problems especially those involving graphs and trees so yeah it's important.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by niel63(m): 3:12am On Dec 12, 2021
@op ask if you could use JAMstack approach... that's working with Headless cms... you could use any of them out there, personally I love Sanity.io and strapi.

With these approach I think you can do this... writing DB schemas isn't that difficult if you understand it.

After which you can easily consume the Endpoints using REST or GraphQL... why I'd always go with GraphQL is, it already have a simple approach to all you just mentioned.
Filtering, Sorting, and the likes...
Generally, what you should do for every job invite is to actually do what you were sent even though you aren't going to work with them or finish the project in their own time. It increases your understanding of what to expect in the future.

I remember trying to solve the problem I received from a Polish company, I kuku jam more problems, and beautiful solutions to accelerate the tasks. Today when a person talks about DB and their schema, I know what to do.
That's how I got to learn something like FaunaDB, then I come jam another solution like Hasura and a few others including Sanity.io GROQ. To keep it simple, you can use Postgres via hasura or kukuma go with mongodb

Just give it try if you aren't doing anything for now... comot mind for the work work do you thing. You'd see how you'll automatically start using all these right of the box.

https://www.daniel-dozie.dev/

This is my portfolio website that I'm working on.
All the texts and images are all on sanity. So basically I had to consume the data from the Endpoints using groq or graphql...

Built it right off my head without any design inspiration... using React/Nextjs with typescript, and Tailwind UI... now I comfortably use most UI frameworks. I'm working on another personal project using the same stack but this time with Chakra UI... In 24hours, I already know how to work with chakra...

the idea is to keep improving. No knowledge is a waste.

18 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by qtguru(m): 7:29am On Dec 12, 2021
@OP Haba next time show the question, this is not hard at all. Call me when you have such assignments, I will guide you through, built way more complex sh.it than this. But practice and read first

6 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by FactBoyz: 10:34am On Dec 12, 2021
sad
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by PCG001: 10:34am On Dec 12, 2021
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by inoki247: 10:34am On Dec 12, 2021
lol
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by money121(m): 10:35am On Dec 12, 2021
Supreme145:

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by money121(m): 10:35am On Dec 12, 2021
Ok
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Banometer: 10:36am On Dec 12, 2021
Vss
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Lindajames1010: 10:37am On Dec 12, 2021
J
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by DropsMic(m): 10:37am On Dec 12, 2021
Things hard
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by BigDawsNet: 10:37am On Dec 12, 2021
We can generate you the answer here
But the questions is...

Are we going to be covering your ass everyday when you giving a task to complete...

Like you said ..after learning digital skills...all you need is a physical intern job to learn some meaningful experience that will help u stand alone ... Try and ignore this job or give it to someone else if possible...find an intern job and learn for few months

Goodluck

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer / Project Topics Tips For Computer Science Undergraduates / How To Download Any Udemy Course For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.