Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? (12813 Views)

My Testimony After My Boss Sacked Me / My Job Is At Risk Because Of Office Romance Involving My Boss / How Can I Tell My Boss That I Want To Quit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Robertkenny(m): 2:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
Mr. Okoli Gideon

I would say, it depends.
In my experience, your employer would like you to be thinking about your job - especially if you are in a professional role - even when you are not at work. Earlier in my career, I asked my boss if I could work part-time for him so I could work for other companies, too. He said “no,” he wanted me to be thinking about the issues with his company even when I wasn’t “at work.” I was the chief financial officer of the company which was pretty small at the time.
If that is the case with you, then you probably shouldn’t tell your boss you got a second job.

The situation is the same if you are contractually obligated to not work for another organization.

If you don’t have that restriction, there is no reason you need to tell your boss about what you do in your spare time. Right?

12 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Empress2014(f): 4:43pm On Dec 15, 2021
I think this would depend on your location, in the western world, you would have to declare for some tax reasons I think, In Nigeria, not necessarily especially if one doesn't affect the other.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by SQLmastar(m): 4:43pm On Dec 15, 2021
Tell him please.
Do unto others what you would that they do unto you.
If you were a boss, would you be glad if your employee works for another?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by StayMotivated: 4:43pm On Dec 15, 2021
Don't tell him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Whois(m): 4:43pm On Dec 15, 2021
At your own risk smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Fapemz: 4:43pm On Dec 15, 2021
No try am! In another news, i have portable inverter system for sale built with LiFePo4 Battery.
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by DesChyko: 4:44pm On Dec 15, 2021
I think you should.

That way, your productivity can be accurately measured with the time you have alloted to your different workplaces. To avoid being labelled lazy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by yinkeys(m): 4:44pm On Dec 15, 2021
No do not try it
I repeat don’t try it
Most companies don’t give d*mn about your welfare

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by selfdefence: 4:44pm On Dec 15, 2021
it depends on how he will take it sha

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by IbrahimSkiba(f): 4:45pm On Dec 15, 2021
shocked
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Harnny(m): 4:45pm On Dec 15, 2021
Your boss probably maintains 3 jobs

5 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by bigdammyj: 4:45pm On Dec 15, 2021
Yes
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Comr(m): 4:45pm On Dec 15, 2021
I think u should inform him Rather than taking him on a surprise note.

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Golan007: 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2021
Shey you don write your resignation letter sha?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by KhingLufem1(m): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2021
At your own risk

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Kelechi009: 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2021
He is lying, no one in Nigeria maintains one job.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by ikenna44: 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2021
if you have to go to the second job physically from time to time... o ni choice!
If u dont have to go there physically.. my brother, make your money quietly!

9 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Aboguede(m): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2021
5h3m no dey tel man
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by TimeTraveller: 4:47pm On Dec 15, 2021
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Cmexy: 4:48pm On Dec 15, 2021
Tell ‘em and clear the road

For posterity sake

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Bigii(m): 4:48pm On Dec 15, 2021
If he is a Rev. Father, don't tell him. They don't like it when their staff is progressing.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by StubbornGENIUS: 4:48pm On Dec 15, 2021
It's up to your conscience.
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by money121(m): 4:49pm On Dec 15, 2021
Ok
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Sleyanya1(m): 4:49pm On Dec 15, 2021
Golan007:
Shey you don write your resignation letter sha?

Omo this face here eh grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by sageb: 4:49pm On Dec 15, 2021
Robertkenny:
Mr. Okoli Gideon

I would say, it depends.
In my experience, your employer would like you to be thinking about your job - especially if you are in a professional role - even when you are not at work. Earlier in my career, I asked my boss if I could work part-time for him so I could work for other companies, too. He said “no,” he wanted me to be thinking about the issues with his company even when I wasn’t “at work.” I was the chief financial officer of the company which was pretty small at the time.
If that is the case with you, then you probably shouldn’t tell your boss you got a second job.

The situation is the same if you are contractually obligated to not work for another organization.

If you don’t have that restriction, there is no reason you need to tell your boss about what you do in your spare time. Right?

No, you only do that when you have resigned from the coy

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 15, 2021
Ehen nah
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by oluwaseyi0: 4:55pm On Dec 15, 2021
If it won't affect your job he doesn't need to know

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by emmy4real94(m): 5:03pm On Dec 15, 2021
Give him/her the Hallaa!
Then resign
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by Abujason: 5:04pm On Dec 15, 2021
Robertkenny:
Mr. Okoli Gideon

I would say, it depends.

Tell him and get fired instantly!
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by soundOsonic: 5:09pm On Dec 15, 2021
If the other job don't fall within company's hours don't tell him. He pays you based on the hours you worked for the company. Every other hours aside this is nobody business, it is your hour; you have every right to do whatever you like.
You are replaceable in a company. If you cease to go there the company will still run so why do you need to give your company 24 hours commitment is the company your God?

9 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by bergs2: 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V Generation.
Re: Should I Tell My Boss I Got A Second Job? by EmmaOgbu(m): 5:13pm On Dec 15, 2021
I did, my boss was not angry but my colleague messed up my relationship with him and i left.
Now am even working in three places and my bosses are aware. Just try to perform your duties in the office diligently.

Most times its not always the boss issue but your colleagues enviousness.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Taraba Government Sells ₦3,000 Form To 10,000 Youths Only To Employ 160 / Please Narialanders I Need Your Advice About My Career / Nigeria Police Recruitment And The Burden Of Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.