Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,922 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People (3353 Views)

Photos Of Yoruba Candomble Worshippers In Brazil. / Oluwo Of Iwo Walks Out Of Yoruba Event In Port Harcout As Organizers Omit Photo / Installation Of Gani Adams As 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo Of Yoruba In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 2:12pm On Dec 15, 2021
I am creating the thread to discuss Pre Oduduwa history.

1. Does anyone has a list of 97 Olufes that reigned before Obatala the 98th Olufe who was Oduduwa's predecessor?

2. Can someone explain more about Orile Oko where Ajaka and Sango were born and the possible location?

3. Does anyone has a list of Oloyos before Oranmiyan became their king?

4. What is the veracity of Oduduwa's war expedition to Egypt, Sudan, and Yemen where he was purportedly conferred the title "Adimula" (corrupted version of Admiral) ?

5. What are the original 16 Oriki Orile?

6. What is the place of Orile Oba (now Oba Ile close to Akure) in Pre Oduduwa history?

7. What is the connection between the Ashantis in Ghana and Pre-Oduduwa's Ile Ife?

8. Is there a connection between Oba and Oko in the southeast of Nigeria with Oba and Oko of pre-Oduduwa's history?

9. Did Herodotus write about Ife as the Atlantis in his book written in about 500 BC?

10. Was the Ejigbomekun market in Ile Ife the largest market in the sub-Saharan region circa the Oduduwa period?

I have other questions but I wish to stop here for now. I really want to learn

cc:
Obalufon
Olu317

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 11:58am On Dec 16, 2021
Anyone with credible response? Kindly help on the above questions
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Christistruth00: 11:17pm On Dec 16, 2021
Moblux:
Anyone with credible response? Kindly help on the above questions

Oranmiyan was the founder of Oyo and the first Alaafin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 7:52am On Dec 17, 2021
Christistruth00:

Oranmiyan was the founder of a Oyo and the first Alaafin

Yes you are right. Oranmiyan was the first Alaafin before Ajaka Oko (his son, then Sango). However, there are evidences that there were aborigines Oranmiyan met at Eyo now Oyo. Eyo was said to be a somewhat cosmopolitan community being a nodal for traders from different empires transiting to-fro Ejigbomekun market. The Orile Owu, Orile Oko, Imoka and Enupe (Nupe) are close neighbours to the Eyos (Oyo). They originally constituted the council of chiefs later known as Oyomesi. I gathered that the linage of Bashorun ( akin to Senate President who could impeach the Alaafiin as in the case of brutish Bashorun Gaa) is of Eyo stock

3 Likes

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 8:49pm On Dec 17, 2021
Moblux:
I am creating the thread to discuss Pre Oduduwa history.

1. Does anyone has a list of 97 Olufes that reigned before Obatala the 98th Olufe who was Oduduwa's predecessor?

2. Can someone explain more about Orile Oko where Ajaka and Sango were born and the possible location?

3. Does anyone has a list of Oloyos before Oranmiyan became their king?

4. What is the veracity of Oduduwa's war expedition to Egypt, Sudan, and Yemen where he was purportedly conferred the title "Adimula" (corrupted version of Admiral) ?

5. What are the original 16 Oriki Orile?

6. What is the place of Orile Oba (now Oba Ile close to Akure) in Pre Oduduwa history?

7. What is the connection between the Ashantis in Ghana and Pre-Oduduwa's Ile Ife?

8. Is there a connection between Oba and Oko in the southeast of Nigeria with Oba and Oko of pre-Oduduwa's history?

9. Did Herodotus write about Ife as the Atlantis in his book written in about 500 BC?

10. Was the Ejigbomekun market in Ile Ife the largest market in the sub-Saharan region circa the Oduduwa period?

I have other questions but I wish to stop here for now. I really want to learn

cc:
Obalufon
Olu317
The original ileife history is quite different from what many writers wrote about which support the fact that odua ancestors were also involved in the affairs of the Elus.

The account of previous rulers had nothing to do with odua era because there were seven Elus and six ifẹs when Odua was chosen to be a unified king even with the challenge therein. He eventually becamethefirst unifying Oni(owner)ifẹ.

These seven Elus and six ifẹs were the settlement which became unified under a supreme overlord known as odua from Eri Ogun(human), the owner of Arẹ crown. This is the reason Oni wears Arẹ crown once a year to venerate Ogún, the irùnmọlẹ̀ on the day, light appear to light the world through his path.

This man was part of Odua ancestors whose name is among the oldest name in the ancient settlement in Ileife whose son, odua eventually became the crowned the king of all kings.

It is to be stated here that Obaluru is over all king of all Oramfe descendants wherever they are in the world,even Obamakin descendants such as Olugbo must honour Obaluru as their supreme king.

Here below were the settlement during the era of odua:
IFE MEFA...were:
1. Obalufe.
2. Obajio.
3. Obaloran.
4. Obadio
5. Lokore.
6. Apata.

B. ELU MEJE..were:
1. Obaluru.
2. Obalesun
3. Ompetu.
4. Obawara.
5. Obalaaye.
6. Obalejugbe.
7. Fegun

Courtesy: Ootu land

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 9:36pm On Dec 17, 2021
Olu317:
The original ileife history is quite different from what many writers wrote about which support the fact that odua ancestors were also involved in the affairs of the Elus.

The account of previous rulers had nothing to do with odua era because there were seven Elus and six ifẹs when Odua was chosen to be a unified king even with the challenge therein. He eventually becamethefirst unifying Oni(owner)ifẹ.

These seven Elus and six ifẹs were the settlement which became unified under a supreme overlord known as odua from Eri Ogun(human), the owner of Arẹ crown. This is the reason Oni wears Arẹ crown once a year to venerate Ogún, the irùnmọlẹ̀ on the day, light appear to light the world through his path.

This man was part of Odua ancestors whose name is among the oldest name in the ancient settlement in Ileife whose son, odua eventually became the crowned the king of all kings.

It is to be stated here that Obaluru is over all king of all Oramfe descendants wherever they are in the world,even Obamakin descendants such as Olugbo must honour Obaluru as their supreme king.

IFE MEFA...were:
1. Obalufe.
2. Obajio.
3. Obaloran.
4. Obadio
5. Lokore.
6. Apata.

B. ELU MEJE..were:
1. Obaluru.
2. Obalesun
3. Ompetu.
4. Obawara.
5. Obalaaye.
6. Obalejugbe.
7. Fegun

Cheers

Thanks for this.
Yes, I read Odua was the first unified king who took over from the confederated leader, Obatala who had become aged and could not muster the confederated elus against their enemies.

Can you shed more light about the Oramfe people and their technology of light/fire. I have heard a faint tales about the Oramfes being technologically savvy with light/fire. How true is this considering a line that says, " Oramfe omo onile ina"

2 Likes

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by christistruth01: 3:02pm On Dec 18, 2021
Moblux:

Yes you are right. Oranmiyan was the first Alaafin before Ajaka Oko (his son, then Sango). However, there are evidences that there were aborigines Oranmiyan met at Eyo now Oyo. Eyo was said to be a somewhat cosmopolitan community being a nodal for traders from different empires transiting to-fro Ejigbomekun market. The Orile Owu, Orile Oko, Imoka and Enupe (Nupe) are close neighbours to the Eyos (Oyo). They originally constituted the council of chiefs later known as Oyomesi. I gathered that the linage of Bashorun ( akin to Senate President who could impeach the Alaafiin as in the case of brutish Bashorun Gaa) is of Eyo stock

Please did you get the information from a book and which ones

Basorun Gaa from. his Oriki was of Bariba Descent

So was Soun Ogbomosho

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 1:26pm On Dec 20, 2021
christistruth01:

Please did you get the information from a book and which ones

Basorun Gaa from. his Oriki was of Bariba Descent

So was Soun Ogbomosho
What is Oriki that posits him as Ibariba ? Shed more light on it.

1 Like

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by christistruth01: 3:28pm On Dec 20, 2021
Olu317:
What is Oriki that posits him as Ibariba ? Shed more light on it.

I read it in an old History book that Bashorun GA's Great Grandfather was Bariba and that his Oriki mentioned it

O
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 7:24am On Dec 21, 2021
christistruth01:

I read it in an old History book that Bashorun GA's Great Grandfather was Bariba and that his Oriki mentioned it

O
Okay,I got your point but Gahà was not an ibariba man. Ibariba do not speak Yoruba language talkless of becoming Báṣọ̀rún.

The title of Báṣọ̀rún itself is a very high positon in Yoruba land. Infact, the position anciently is second in command to kings in Yoruba land,despite the fact that such personality cannot be king due to strict royalty bloodline to thrones in ancient times.

Plainly there are misinformation here and there on Yoruba history due to some erroneously egocentrism from some quarters. Anyway,Yoruba history is not hidden even if some people try to mislead the public.

3 Likes

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Christistruth00: 7:49pm On Dec 21, 2021
Olu317:
Okay,I got your point but Gahà was not an ibariba man. Ibariba do not speak Yoruba language talkless of becoming Báṣọ̀rún.

The title of Báṣọ̀rún itself is a very high positon in Yoruba land. Infact, the position anciently is second in command to kings in Yoruba land,despite the fact that such personality cannot be king due to strict royalty bloodline to thrones in ancient times.

Plainly there are misinformation here and there on Yoruba history due to some erroneously egocentrism from some quarters. Anyway,Yoruba history is not hidden even if some people try to mislead the public.

Basorun is Prime Minister

4 Likes

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 6:26am On Dec 22, 2021
Christistruth00:

Basorun is Prime Minister
Smiles! Prime minister is what position to a king? I know you are comme il faut my dear brother, so there is no need to footdrag it. Ọ̀ṣọ̀rún is the position that became known as báṣọ̀rún.

The English's form of a second in command as a prime minister to the Queen or King of Britain, even if Yoruba understood the purposeful interpretation of Ọ̀sọ̀rún in her own context.

The reason is that Báṣọ̀rún in Yoruba hierachial system is not to be compared to the Britain's monrchial system. Although as Báṣọ̀rún, he has some limited power which he carries out through the command of the king.

1 Like

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 6:35am On Dec 22, 2021
Olu317:
Smiles! Prime minister is what position to a king? Iknow you are comme il faut my dear brother,so there is no need to footdrag it. Ọ̀ṣọ̀rún is the position that became known as báṣọ̀rùn.

Iba Osorun

2 Likes

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 6:37am On Dec 22, 2021
None of the questions I raised has been responded to.
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 7:04am On Dec 22, 2021
Moblux:
None of the questions I raised has been responded to.
Let others who know answer some of the questions.

Was there any Ọlọ́yọ́ before Ọ̀rànmìyàn ?
No, there were none to be precise. However, empe (Nupe) were not too far from the earliest settlement to the place where Ọ̀rànmìyàn settled down.

History has it that Ọ̀rànmìyàn was said to be on vengeance to a people who fought against his ancestors through to Mali region but he , and his older cousin Olówu as that period and warriors princes abandoned the movement which led to his establishment of Ẹyọ.

Thereafter, the Empe people and their overlord decided to fight against these Yoruba elements where he Ọ̀rànmìyan and his co princes as earlier mentioned defeated the Empe people ,where there was a pact signed between the Yoruba and the Empe.

This led to the birth of Itiolú known as Ṣàngó through the daughter of king of Empe.
Ṣàngó was an adopted Alias by Itiólú who reigned after Dada AJaka(Ajàsa).

Dada Ajàsa(Ajàka) was the first crown king after Ọ̀rànmìyàn went back to Iléifẹ. Ọlọ́yọ́ Dada was able to trap the thunderstorms power used by Itiólú. Unfortuntely he was not loved because he preferred diplomatic solution to problem than warring. A peace loving King which he pursued till death at a ripe old age as a king who ruled twice.

During his first rule,he was abducted by Owu warriors but was later released and commanded to pay tributary to Owu. This was the reason he was called a weakling and was told to vacate the seat of authority which he did without much challenges, which ushered in Itiólú alias Ṣàngó.

1 Like

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 8:14am On Dec 22, 2021
Olu317:

No, there were none to be precise. However, empe (Nupe) were not too far from the earliest settlement to the place where Ọ̀rànmìyàn settled down.

History has it that Ọ̀rànmìyàn was said to be on vengeance to a people who fought against his ancestors through to Mali region but he , and his older cousin Olówu as that period and warriors princes abandoned the movement which led to his establishment of Ẹyọ.

Thereafter, the Empe people and their overlord decided to fight against these Yoruba elements where he Ọ̀rànmìyan and his co princes as earlier mentioned defeated the Empe people ,where there was a pact signed between the Yoruba and the Empe.

This led to the birth of Itiolú known as Ṣàngó through the daughter of king of Empe.

Dada Ajàsa(Ajàka) was the first crown king after Ọ̀rànmìyàn went back to Iléifẹ. Ọlọ́yọ́ Dada was able to trap the thunderstorms power used by Itiólú. Unfortuntely he was not loved because he preferred diplomatic solution to problem than warring. A peace loving King which he pursued till death at a ripe old age as a king who ruled twice.

During his first rule,he was abducted by Owu warriors but was later released and commanded to pay tributary to Owu. This was the reason he was called a weakling and was told to vacate the seat of authority which he did without much challenges, which ushered in Itiólú alias Ṣàngó.

Thanks sir this insight. I will like you to cite your sources whenever you make your posts.

Please I will like to ask why Ajaka was called Ajaka Oko (d:d)?
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Oghighirhighi: 2:28pm On Dec 22, 2021
Afonjas will flood here with super stories they call history. Let me help them with one. The afonjas were the first to land in the moon, and that person who performed this feat was Oduduwa. He landed in Ile Ife with his bamboo-made spacecraft.
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 3:50pm On Dec 22, 2021
Oghighirhighi:
Afonjas will flood here with super stories they call history. Let me help them with one. The afonjas were the first to land in the moon, and that person who performed this feat was Oduduwa. He landed in Ile Ife with his bamboo-made spacecraft.

Hi. This thread is opened to understand the pre Oduduwa history. You don't have to be abusive. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by AlphaTaikun: 6:38am On Sep 14, 2022
Olu317:

IFE MEFA...were:
1. Obalufe.
2. Obajio.
3. Obaloran.
4. Obadio
5. Lokore.
6. Apata.

B. ELU MEJE..were:
1. Obaluru.
2. Obalesun
3. Ompetu.
4. Obawara.
5. Obalaaye.
6. Obalejugbe.
7. Fegun

Cheers
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by AlphaTaikun: 6:58am On Sep 14, 2022
Olu317:

The infamous U.S.-based Farooq Kperogi is of Bariba ethnicity.

His home town is Okuta and there is an Ilesa in the Bariba-speaking part of Kwara.

Parts of Bariba were conquered and incorporated into the Oyo Empire, so some of them would have learned to speak some Yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by AlphaTaikun: 7:04am On Sep 14, 2022
Olu317:

Thanks for the deep insights on
Sango's maternal Nupe (Tapa) origins which must be from
Northern Kwara.

1 Share

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by RedboneSmith(m): 8:13am On Sep 14, 2022
Olu317:

Nigerians seem to be very uncomfortable with acknowledging that their ethnic group received input from their neighbours. But admit it or not, it is a fact that many Bashorun were of non-Yoruba origin. I'm not the one saying; acclaimed Yoruba scholars have written the same thing. Gaa, Magaji, Woruda, Biri, Jambu, Yamba, etc - these men were Bashorun of Old Oyo whose names suggest were not of Yoruba origin.
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 7:12am On Sep 16, 2022
RedboneSmith:

Nigerians seem to be very uncomfortable with acknowledging that their ethnic group received input from their neighbours. But admit it or not, it is a fact that many Bashorun were of non-Yoruba origin. I'm not the one saying; acclaimed Yoruba scholars have written the same thing. Gaa, Magaji, Woruda, Biri, Jambu, Yamba, etc - these men were Bashorun of Old Oyo whose names suggest were not of Yoruba origin.
Are you sure ? In terms of Ọyọ́ history and other related groupings in old Yorùba setup, there is no doubt about usage of Arabic names.

This does not make such people foreigners and also this does not mean Tapa,Ibariba aren't assimilated into Yorùba setting. Infact,the same way,Edos,Ibos,Arabs,Hausas,Kanuri,Ogu-Egun etc were assimilated into Yorùba setup.

These being acknowledged had nothing to do with position of Báṣọ̀rún! The position of Báṣọ̀rún is a sensitive one which is second to the king. And no one can attain this post except he is an ibilẹ̀(indigenous) for that matter.

Mọgàji as a title and other names did not come through Hausas, rather the Arabs within Yorùba setup . Beside, from the time of Òrànmiyàn in late1100AD who brought Tapa when he fought and won against these people. He married one of their daughter who was a princess called Torosi.
This woman was the mother of Dada, who was popularly known as Ajasa or Ajaka and ItiElú or Itiolú who was popularly known as a replica of Ṣàngó.

It was through Ọrànmiyàn that Tapa were assimilated under his father's House with Oriki/ panegyric distinction in iléifẹ though ancestrally as his Sword bearer . Nupe people are called Elempe or Tapa people who are led presently by Baba Eredumi in Iléifẹ.There a lot of cross breeding so if such happens, can you call such person or people non Yorùba after much intermarriages ?

Furthermore If you claimed the names you pointed as foreign which is same as English names to us being bore by Yorùbas because some people claimed Islam came to Nigeria through Hausa before it reached Yorùba land. How true can these be? Kindly ponder over these.

Why is it true that Lord of the House in Arabs do not have same cognate with Hausa as found in Yorùba language ?

Why is the word for Father in Arabic language is same with Yorùba and not found among Hausa 's ?

Why is it that the word for fire or light as found in Arabic word is same with Yorùba but does not exist in Hausa language ?

Seriously, there are load of words that are having same cognate between Arabic and Yorùba that do not exist in Hausa language,despite the assumptive claim of Hausas being Islamised. So, it not about their identity because these people are Yorùbas.

Ṣọ́ùn father's was a son to an Ibariba and son to a Yorùba mother. Ṣọ́ùn himself was a son to his Ibariba father and Yorùba mother.

Typical example is Ṣọ́ùn Ogbómọṣọ.
Ṣọ́ùn and Ọlọ́yọ́ daughter fell inlove which he impregnated her because Ọlọ́yọ́ will not allow a commoner marry his daughter. Is Ṣọùn not a prince in Yorùba monarchial system ?

Plainly, these people were not foreigners in all ramifications.
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 8:55am On Sep 16, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Thanks for the deep insights on
Sango's maternal Nupe (Tapa) origins which must be from
Northern Kwara.
Yes, Katunga was not originally Yorùbas land but of Nupe people whom the ancient Yorùbas called them Elempe. Orànmiyan ruggedness made this land became Yorùba's afterhewagewarashewasgoingfarthertoavengehisancestorsdefeatbysomewarriors.Unfortunately he turned back when he could not go through Songhai Empire due to the setup of this land.

Interestingly, contrary to speculation Orànmiyan was not a king in Katunga but a leader because he was a warrior prince who wage war after this christened name "Orànmiyan."To be a A king, such personality must be crowned by chiefs and sacrifices must complied with. His real names were Odede and Jegbe respectively.

After awhile he left katunga land to Iléifẹ to take over his ancestors throne which was taken away from his father's lineage Ògún by the rebellious ifẹ. Eventually he arrived iléifẹ safely and chased away Ọbálùfọn who was a descendant of Ora paternally, popularly called Ora ifẹ or Orafẹ or Oramfẹ and was crowned after his ancestors title identified as Ooni( owner of ifẹ)ifẹ.

He married Obálùfọn's daughter, also married Moremi after her husband rejected her for playing the brave role of being caught by ubo/Ibo/Ugbo/Igbó people of Yorùba extraction and not modern day Eastern people identified as ìgbò. The Yorùba Igbó people are Obámakin descendants who adorn Seeséfun crown.While Adé Aare belong to Ògún and lineage strictly.

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 9:19am On Sep 16, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

The infamous U.S.-based Farooq Kperogi is of Bariba ethnicity.

His home town is Okuta and there is an Ilesa in the Bariba-speaking part of Kwara.

Parts of Bariba were conquered and incorporated into the Oyo Empire, so some of them would have learned to speak some Yoruba.

Yes, Farooq is linked to Ibariba but not Ibariba are linked to Yorùbas. The same way Yorùbas have genetically link with white and Africans does not mean all white ordarkskins are Yorubas.

The Yorùbas you find in Ibariba were of different eras. There was a time when Elempe-Tapa-Nupe attack old Ọyọ́ and the Ọlọ́yọ́ of that era moved for safety with his people which led to dispersion. So finding Yorùbas within Ibariba enclave is the same as finding Yorùbas of Olukumi among Ìgbò speaking people in Aniocha environment.

Living in Ibariba land is no big deal. Infact, in around early 1800s Ojo Aburumaku , a descendants of Gaa went to Ilọ́rin to capture Afọnjà but he could not captured him because he was betrayed by the cowarriors who did not support the present Ọlọ́yọ́ at that time whose predecessor sent Afọnjà to attack a community under Iléifẹ which Afọnjà which was wrong and led to the fall of Ọyọ́ land.

After Ojo Aburumàkú saw this betrayal, he relocated to Ibariba land and lived there till he passed on. Beside, many Yorùbas moved to Ibariba land also apart from war because of the cordial relationship Yorùbas had with Ibariba people even intermarriages is known among them.

Many of these people claiming Ọyọ́ in Ibaribas are mostly, Alara descendants Aresa's, Ikoyi's,Igbọ̀n's Oje's etc. So, there is no doubt about Yorùbas in different places inclusive Ibariba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 6:54am On Sep 18, 2022
Olu317:
Yes, Farooq is linked to Ibariba but not Ibariba are linked to Yorùbas. The same way Yorùbas have genetically link with white and Africans does not mean all white ordarkskins are Yorubas.

The Yorùbas you find in Ibariba were of different eras. There was a time when Elempe-Tapa-Nupe attack old Ọyọ́ and the Ọlọ́yọ́ of that era moved for safety with his people which led to dispersion. So finding Yorùbas within Ibariba enclave is the same as finding Yorùbas of Olukumi among Ìgbò speaking people in Aniocha environment.

Living in Ibariba land is no big deal. Infact, in around early 1800s Ojo Aburumaku , a descendants of Gaa went to Ilọ́rin to capture Afọnjà but he could not captured him because he was betrayed by the cowarriors who did not support the present Ọlọ́yọ́ at that time whose predecessor sent Afọnjà to attack a community under Iléifẹ which Afọnjà which was wrong and led to the fall of Ọyọ́ land.

After Ojo Aburumàkú saw this betrayal, he relocated to Ibariba land and lived there till he passed on. Beside, many Yorùbas moved to Ibariba land also apart from war because of the cordial relationship Yorùbas had with Ibariba people even intermarriages is known among them.

Many of these people claiming Ọyọ́ in Ibaribas are mostly, Alara descendants Aresa's, Ikoyi's,Igbọ̀n's Oje's etc. So, there is no doubt about Yorùbas in different places inclusive Ibariba.

Oko and Oba in Anambra are of pre Odùduwà Yorùbá origin...though further research still ongoing. There people of Yorùba origin in Sudan through the trade between Sudan and Ejigbomekun market in Ile Ife.
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by RedboneSmith(m): 11:35am On Sep 18, 2022
Moblux:

Oko and Oba in Anambra are of pre Odùduwà Yorùbá origin...though further research still ongoing. There people of Yorùba origin in Sudan through the trade between Sudan and Ejigbomekun market in Ile Ife.

Any sort of evidence for this claim that Oko and Ọ̀bà in Anambra are of Yoruba origin? The slightest bit of evidence other than name similarity would suffice.

Also, what does Ọ̀bà mean in Yoruba?
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Olu317(m): 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2022
Moblux:

Oba, Oko,Oru, Oshimili , Ika etc do not have historical relationship with Yorubas same names settlement.

Ifaodu corpus talks about Yorubas version which are not same , even Afa of the Igbos of Eastern region's version is not same. Kolanut divination may be, three lobes, four lobes, eight lobes among Yorubas still remain different when doing the lotcast or divination.

Ika is also an Odu in ifa corpus which is among the first set of 16 odus that came to earth when Orunmila ascended to heaven in Yoruba cosmology. There is historical account to the reason of how the first became the last and the last became the last among the 16 odu.

So, positing that some places are Older than Yoruba settlement is a bit controversial as far as some information is concerned but one cannot take away some views if well verified.
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 1:38pm On Sep 18, 2022
Olu317:
Oba, Oko,Oru, Oshimili , Ika etc do not have historical relationship with Yorubas same names settlement.

Ifaodu corpus talks about Yorubas version which are not same , even Afa of the Igbos of Eastern region's version is not same. Kolanut divination may be, three lobes, four lobes, eight lobes among Yorubas still remain different when doing the lotcast or divination.

Ika is also an Odu in ifa corpus which is among the first set of 16 odus that came to earth when Orunmila ascended to heaven in Yoruba cosmology. There is historical account to the reason of how the first became the last and the last became the last among the 16 odu.

So, positing that some places are Older than Yoruba settlement is a bit controversial as far as some information is concerned but one cannot take away some views if well verified.

I quite understand...the scientific (archaeological) evidence of oldest human activities of what is now known as Yoruba land is the skull found in Iho Eleru...some scholars believe that the migration to Ifẹ̀ bowl started from Ọba ( in Ondo State)...Prof Akintoye's book supports this view...s o there were many pre Odùduwà's Ilẹ̀ Ifè migrations at the formation of èlús scattered around the Ifẹ̀ bowl... what could have attracted people toward the bowl may be the richness of the land
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by Moblux(m): 1:45pm On Sep 18, 2022
RedboneSmith:

Any sort of evidence for this claim that Oko and Ọ̀bà in Anambra are of Yoruba origin? The slightest bit of evidence other than name similarity would suffice.

Also, what does Ọ̀bà mean in Yoruba?

We are talking about the pre Odùduwà Yorubas history here. Like I said, research is on going...Ghost DNA could be of great help...this is not claiming any ethnic superiority...After all there is a fairly big town in Yoruba land that is of Delta origin and they proudly call themselves Yorubas
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by RedboneSmith(m): 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
Moblux:

We are talking about the pre Odùduwà Yorubas history here. Like I said, research is on going...Ghost DNA could be of great help...this is not claiming any ethnic superiority...After all there is a fairly big town in Yoruba land that is of Delta origin and they proudly call themselves Yorubas

So no evidence whatsoever. Not in oral tradition, not in language. Nothing. Okay. Got it.
Re: An Inquest Into Pre-Oduduwa History Of Yoruba People by TAO11(f): 2:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
Moblux:
... After all there is a fairly big town in Yoruba land that is of Delta origin and they proudly call themselves Yorubas
Which Yoruba town in Yorubaland is of “Delta” origin?

I am curious.

Thanks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akwaibom/crossriver Caps / Origin Of The Osu Caste System? / Spell Your Name In Japanese!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.