Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,839 members, 7,838,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Please I Need Your Advise! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please I Need Your Advise! (1260 Views)

Is This worth Her Leaving? He Needs Your Advise / Is marriage worth it?I urgently need your advise. / Please I Need Your Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Your Advise! by Greatn3ss: 11:01pm On Dec 19, 2021
Good day Nairaland family

My sister has been married with 3 kids for 5 years now, she works with a company that pays her 80k every month, the husband also earns the same amount though he works in a different organization.

Problem started when they recently parked into their new apartment they managed to build, the house is very much far from their work place that they had to return very late from work everyday (between 10pm-11pm) and when they calculate the cost of transportation everyday in a month they are left with nothing, and on the same hand the kids will have to stay in their neighbors place and wait till when their parents are back.

Now the husband is suggesting the wife should stop working so they can put out things in order, but the wife is insisting she won't quit her job knowing well that the husband's salary alone cannot sustain the family.

Please what do you suggest can be done to help this situation?
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by thorpido(m): 11:07pm On Dec 19, 2021
For sure the husband's salary cannot sustain the family.
The wife should not quit her job yet.If they can get a maid that can take care of the kids,that will suffice.

4 Likes

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by AgricMaster: 11:18pm On Dec 19, 2021
Greatn3ss:

My sister has been married with 3 kids for 5 years now, she works with a company that pays her 80k every month, the husband also earns the same amount though he works in a different organization.

Problem started when they recently parked into their new apartment they managed to build, the house is very much far from their work place that they had to return very late from work everyday (between 10pm-11pm) and when they calculate the cost of transportation everyday in a month they are left with nothing, and on the same hand the kids will have to stay in their neighbors place and wait till when their parents are back.

Now the husband is suggesting the wife should stop working so they can put out things in order, but the wife is insisting she won't quit her job knowing well that the husband's salary alone cannot sustain the family.

rent out the house they build
and move back to place closer to their office

always remember this house you build to live in it is a liability. its turn to ASSET if you build to rent it out.
they can rent for theirs for 300k and move to a place closer to their office for 250k therefore making extra 50k

16 Likes

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Adaanna(f): 11:47pm On Dec 19, 2021
Quitting the job is not better option without something to fall back at.

Option 1 is for them to get closer apartment to their work place and rent their new house.

Option 2 if the wife can venture into business then they can put heads together and save money for the business. Then look for someone that will stay with them and take care of the children.

The option 2 though is if they can't afford to rent their house out then they can get someone to stay with them and continue working to save up for business.
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Kobojunkie: 11:56pm On Dec 19, 2021
Greatn3ss:

I would suggest your sister not quit her job until she is either able to secure a better job, or one maybe closer to home. With 3 children to care for, the last thing the family should do is make another foolish decision like the one they made moving far away from work and all. undecided

Your sister shouldn't consider going into business at this time. It takes time to build Businesses and begin seeing profit. The family is already strapped at this time and can probably not afford the risk this time. undecided

Your sister and her husband should probably look for a place close to their work, like before, and consider instead, renting out their home to make rent money from it instead. undecided

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Ulunne777(f): 1:48am On Dec 20, 2021
Its not rocket science that ppl Who own hpuse are tenants i some other places cos of proximity to work.

Not factoring these tings before moving Is very strange.

Btw,whether moving back or staying there,she should never quit her job.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Acidosis(m): 5:16am On Dec 20, 2021
AgricMaster:

rent out the house they build
and move back to place closer to their office

always remember this house you build to live in it is a liability. its turn to ASSET if you build to rent it out.
they can rent for theirs for 300k and move to a place closer to their office for 250k therefore making extra 50k

This is practically impossible. If the 300k apartment could be that far, a more reasonable or nearer location would cost 900k. It's obvious they built in a remote location, somewhere faraway from the city or commercial centre.

4 Likes

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Acidosis(m): 5:32am On Dec 20, 2021
@OP,

I don't think it's a wise decision for the wife to leave her job. The decision to "move to their own house", "become a landlord", and some of these things Nigerians love to declare have kept them in the mess. While having one's own house can provide some kind of security or cover, it is not mandatory that you have to move there! Some families live in rented apartments yet these people own properties everywhere!

It is economic sabotage when the cost of living in your own house exceeds the cost of living in a rented apartment. Cost here isn't specifically monetary. Stress comes at a cost. The money you're trying to save by living 1000km away from work, you'll spend it on drugs, you will age faster, spend more on transportation, your frustration level increases, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Jidemoo: 6:36am On Dec 20, 2021
This matter get as e be

My advice is this ....they should rent out the house...then find another house that is close to their workplace....that way,they will use the money gotten from their own house to fix the rent of the one close to their workplace and they will still have change depending on the kind of house they go for.

My one cent thoo
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by dobnina(f): 7:20am On Dec 20, 2021
Greatn3ss:

The wife should not quit her job or else they will all suffer with the kids.
3kids in this Buhari era with 160k every month is not even enough not to talk of slashing the salary to 80k.
The husband and the wife should rent a place closer to their work place and rent their building out.
The previous decision they made by moving into their house was penny wise, pound foolish.
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Nonexisting: 7:48am On Dec 20, 2021
They should rent out their house and move closer to their work places, use the rent they get from their house and pay rent where they will move to.
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 20, 2021
The wife should not quit her job.
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by faithfull18(f): 7:58am On Dec 20, 2021
Everyone saying rent out their house like renting out is easy for a house in a remote location. Everyone wants to stay in town. Go and do your research, houses in remote locations not occupied by the owners most times are left uninhabited.

They should find a way to move back to town.

3 Likes

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Richy4(m): 8:36am On Dec 20, 2021
Oh!! Some people have said what was on my mind... Anyways,

find a house close to your work place and that of your spouse and rent it... put your house on rent as well..
The bottom line is U are together.. training Your kids without financial stress.. anywhere U lay your head, that should be your home... If a house will cost you of your family's happiness, do away with it for now and focus on greater things ahead...

Telling the wife to stop working is a foolish idea... Is there a work place in the world today that have a guarantee of 100% job security?
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Johnsonclement(m): 8:45am On Dec 20, 2021
They should rent their house out and add some money to it and use it to get good flat near their workplace.
Greatn3ss:

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Kobojunkie: 12:45pm On Dec 20, 2021
faithfull18:
Everyone saying rent out their house like renting out is easy for a house in a remote location. Everyone wants to stay in town. Go and do your research, houses in remote locations not occupied by the owners most times are left uninhabited.

Renting it out may not happen immediately but they need to move back closer to work so the family can survive before then. undecided
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by AgricMaster: 2:53pm On Dec 20, 2021
Acidosis:

This is practically impossible. If the 300k apartment could be that far, a more reasonable or nearer location would cost 900k. It's obvious they built in a remote location, somewhere faraway from the city or commercial centre.

bros
they might have build 3 bedrooms
what of if they rent one or two bedrooms and make do with that
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Dailyparrot: 5:32am On Dec 21, 2021
faithfull18:

This was exactly my thought when I was going through the thread.

It seems like the house is built in a remote area and may definitely not be up to renting out standard.

I mean, which kind of a house can two people earning 80k build? It will surely be like buying land in a place that cost 300k per plot and using limited resources to put two bedrooms apartment together that may not be of rentable standard.

Best is to go back to the city and rent a new apartment and forget that they ever owned a house.

The house will be beneficial to them maybe in the future.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Dailyparrot: 5:38am On Dec 21, 2021
AgricMaster:

bros
they might have build 3 bedrooms
what of if they rent one or two bedrooms and make do with that

The first question you should ask is where the location of the house is. I have a neighbor who built block of flats at gberigbe, Ikorodu.

The guy has been trying to sell those houses for years now even at a loss but no one is buying. His tenants are not paying rent and chasing them out will mean taking ages to get people to occupy the place.

Owing a house especially in the city is overrated if you didn't do your evaluation very well. Some areas in Lagos will never develop even in 50 years time.

People that bought land in Ikotun and Ikorodu part of Lagos 30 years ago thinking that by now, those places will be like Ikeja are still waiting.

The government will rather keep patching the roads in the already developed area than construct new roads in these remote areas because they're not economically viable for them.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Klass99(f): 7:24am On Dec 21, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 21, 2021
Why did they chose a far place to build in the first place?
People just see cheap land and jump at it without first calculating and considering other things like the proximity to their work place and businesses.
Now, it's an issue.

The idea of one person quitting her job is not a good one because already with both working, they still can't meet up with financial needs and demands of the home. How much more when one person drops. That is when the fight between them will become worse.

I'll advise they put up their house for rent and then rent an apartment close to their place of work. At least they can be using the proceeds from their personal property to fund the rented apartment and still have change to roll by while their salary goes to savings.
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by cayorday89(m): 1:06am On Dec 22, 2021
A scenario from a family in my area.
Iya Adijat is a fish seller, she roasts fish and people come from far and near to buy from her, both the rich and the average families patronize her, some even book orders for the weekend because the moment you come on that very day you go come with money and na 2 days time you go collect your fish. Her husband is a transporter and owns his own fedeco bus so it's not a problem for him going home after work but seems the wife's profit margin is much compared to that of the husband , they built a house in sango area of Ogun state after weighing the wife's profit margin where she is here, they decide not to go leave in their house but remain in the rented house and rent out the new house for tenants.
They could have weighed transport costs and the stress to and fro work.
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by Chiquitq(f): 6:44pm On Dec 22, 2021
They can rent one room in town near their work places and be rest assured that they have built their own none the less.

If one suits their job, the dynamics would change drastically but then is there no job in the new site?

How bless the kind neighbour that watches the children till late at night. It is not fair to the neighbour regardless.
Re: Please I Need Your Advise! by brighttech95(m): 11:23pm On Dec 29, 2021
Dailyparrot:

The first question you should ask is where the location of the house is. I have a neighbor who built block of flats at gberigbe, Ikorodu.

The guy has been trying to sell those houses for years now even at a loss but no one is buying. His tenants are not paying rent and chasing them out will mean taking ages to get people to occupy the place.

Owing a house especially in the city is overrated if you didn't do your evaluation very well. Some areas in Lagos will never develop even in 50 years time.

People that bought land in Ikotun and Ikorodu part of Lagos 30 years ago thinking that by now, those places will be like Ikeja are still waiting.

The government will rather keep patching the roads in the already developed area than construct new roads in these remote areas because they're not economically viable for them.

Where in Ikotun that is still yet to develop?

(1) (Reply)

Could This Be Real Love / The Mermaid Syndrome! / Guys, What Do You Think About This Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.