Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines (18420 Views)

South Africa Sells Off Astrazeneca COVID Vaccine, Places Fresh Order From Pfizer / BUA Purchases 1 Million Doses Of Astrazeneca COVID-19 Vaccines For Nigeria / Okonjo Iweala: Nigeria Might Get COVID-19 Vaccines From January 2021 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:01pm On Dec 22, 2021
The National Primary Healthcare Development Agency ( NPHCDA) in collaboration with the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), on Wednesday destroyed 1, 066, 214 expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

Speaking during the exercise at the Gosa Dumpsite in Abuja, Executive Director, NPHCDA, Dr. Faisal Shuaib, said the destroyed vaccines were withdrawn before their expiration date.

He said the exercise demonstrates the standards within which the vaccination programme operates in the country.

He said, “The work that we do requires trust. It is a sacred duty that is bestowed on us by the generality of Nigerians. We guide that trust very jealously. That is why we are destroying these vaccines that have expired today.”

Shuaib said the country was aware that the vaccines had short shelf life when they were donated but accepted them because of the unavailability of vaccines, and the need to protect Nigerians from COVID-19.

He said health workers in the country worked round the clock to ensure that most of the vaccines were administered before they expired.

He said, “ A few months ago, when they vaccines were offered to us , we knew they had a short shelf life but we live in an environment where the supply of COVID-19 vaccines were very scarce due to vaccine nationalism.

“There were developed countries that procured these vaccines and hoarded them in their stores , and at the point that they were about to expire, they were offered for donation.

“While we appreciate the donation from these countries, we have to acknowledge the fact that they were almost expired vaccines. But because we wanted to satisfy and protect Nigerians, we accepted to them , we worked in collaboration with NAFDAC to test and ensure that the vaccines were in good condition and then we rolled them out under difficult circumstances.

“We ensured that our health workers worked round the clock under extreme situations to make sure that Nigerians are vaccinated.”

He said so far, over 10 million Nigerians have been vaccinated with short shelf live vaccines.

“If we were to wait until much later when vaccines would be widely available, maybe we wouldn’t have gotten any Nigerian vaccinated by now,” he added.

The NPHCDA boss said the country has been able to save over $40 million worth of resources that could be ploughed into other areas of the health sector.

While assuring Nigerians that the vaccines are effective and safe, he said the agency would continue to vaccinate until 70 percent of the country’s eligible population, achieve herd immunity.

The Director General of NAFDAC, Prof. Moji Adeyeye, said short shelf-life vaccines pose a challenge to the country, adding that however, “ because of the love of country, the agencies decided to work with the short time span.”

She said the destroyed vaccines were manufactured about seven to eight months ago.

“When products expire, we don’t give them to people especially vaccines that can interact with the cell , and work at the cellular level.”

The NAFDAG DG added that local manufacturing of vaccines would help tackle vaccine unavailability in the country.

https://dailytrust.com/fg-destroys-over-one-million-expired-covid-19-vaccines

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Xscape1993(m): 9:08pm On Dec 22, 2021
Nothing surprises me in this government anymore.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by amazingspiderma: 9:15pm On Dec 22, 2021
Hmmm.. Sure about that.....

3 Likes

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Optimistguy1969: 9:56pm On Dec 22, 2021
Expired?!

Which day covid come this world?

12 Likes

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by slawormiir: 9:56pm On Dec 22, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

Xscape1993:

Una nor dey read for this forum

SpecialAdviser:

And they stupidly collected it before realizing.
Wouldn't it have been better to check what they were given Mr FG defender?
Go back and read carefully

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by dayoscape: 9:56pm On Dec 22, 2021
Nice move

2 Likes

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Guyman02: 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2021
One million lives saved by this action of destroying those Trojan horse gift called vaccines about to expire, Covid is now an endemic disease like malaria in Africa, we contract it and treat it as acute malaria, you get cured and develop herd immunity.

With 2% Vaccination, there's far less hospitalization than Europe which is using all draconian rules to force their people to get vaccinated.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by SpecialAdviser(m): 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2021
SwissMass:
Learn to read, the federal government didn't buy the vaccines, it was donated to them by some countries when it was about to expire
Ok

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Flytime: 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2021
Naiaraland and pushing stale news to the front page

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Deflames01(m): 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2021
So fast ....... vaccine don expire?........those taking the vaccine better watch out ooo ..before

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by NewDelhi(m): 9:57pm On Dec 22, 2021
Weytin shock me pass na this new so called covid 19 booster everybody dey take lol. Booster lolgrin.

Sometimes those antivaccine and covid is a scam people may look stupid but realistically, there's alot of wrongs in this covid 19 saga

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Randy100: 9:58pm On Dec 22, 2021
Nigeria refused to take the vaccine.

4 Likes

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by smith946: 9:58pm On Dec 22, 2021
Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by lomprico(m): 9:58pm On Dec 22, 2021
Jab takers how far?

1 Like

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:58pm On Dec 22, 2021
He said health workers in the country worked round the clock to ensure that most of the vaccines were administered before they expired.
God bless all the health workers in our darling nation and all over the whole world at large.
Especially in this COVID-19 era.
Those are the real men and women out there.
God bless y'all wherever you are reading this.
Cc : cococandy

He said the exercise demonstrates the standards within which the vaccination programme operates in the country.

He said, “The work that we do requires trust. It is a sacred duty that is bestowed on us by the generality of Nigerians. We guide that trust very jealously. That is why we are destroying these vaccines that have expired today.”

Shuaib said the country was aware that the vaccines had short shelf life when they were donated but accepted them because of the unavailability of vaccines, and the need to protect Nigerians from COVID-19
Understandably.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by visijo(m): 9:59pm On Dec 22, 2021
Stay away from people who think your MONEY is for BEER, and their MONEY is for family problems!!��‍♂️

6 Likes

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by NwaNimo1(m): 9:59pm On Dec 22, 2021

1 Like

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:59pm On Dec 22, 2021
Xscape1993:

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Thanos5555: 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2021
angry
Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Stronghold91: 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2021
the news just dey reach this forum it was in aljazeera since yesterday

3 Likes

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by NwaIgboBoy(m): 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2021
Nigeria itself should be distroied too, because it has expired also.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by eyongaplaedet: 10:02pm On Dec 22, 2021
Received the first doze today, and guess what! I'm fucking down in health right now... I hated maself for making such decision... I actually love been natural. I mean completely natural...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by yinkeys(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
Mulimv69:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32gCqFfbSFc
I can score this bro.
It goes in through one of the top corners
Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
eyongaplaedet:
Received the first doze today, and guess what! I'm fucking down in health right now... I hated maself for making such decision... I actually love been natural. I mean completely natural...
It's either you are decieving yourself so as to paint the vaccine wrong..or you are being truthful which I guess not..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Destroys Over 1 Million Expired AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccines by Paradigms: 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2021
These ones are from Jack Ma

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

150 Nigerian Doctors Ready For Exams To Enable Them Practice In The UK / Man Hangs Himself In Daura, Katsina / COVID-19 Update For September 11 2020 In Nigeria - (1,904 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.