Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,479 members, 7,850,666 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:55 AM

How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? (332 Views)

He Gave Birth To Albinos Because He Refused To Worship His Family's Deity / Why Was Mary Chosen To Birth Jesus Christ? / Was Mary A Sinner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? by Godx: 11:00am On Dec 25, 2021
Jewish custom was that women were betrothed at no less than 12 years of age. Mary was at least 12 but probably no older than 15 when considering the normal custom of their culture, at the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_views_on_marriage#Ages_of_marriage"
"http://www.jewfaq.org/marriage.htm"

So, according to tradition, Mary was 14–16 years old when Jesus was born. Given that Jesus died at 33, that would make her 47–49 years old at His death.

1 Like

Re: How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? by thesicilian: 11:33am On Dec 25, 2021
If it's not in the Bible, I'm not buying.
Re: How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? by Godx: 11:58am On Dec 25, 2021
thesicilian:
Just click on the links to learn.
Re: How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? by otipoju(m): 12:25pm On Dec 25, 2021
thesicilian:

The events of the bible did not happen in a vaccum.
Most of It happened in real time. In various lands where there were both social and religious rules,regulations and procedures. ...in predominantly semitic cultures.

Therefore extra-biblical sources are valid as long as they have passed the various critical tests of authencity and historical accuracy.

The bible itself is a collection of books that was written and edited and compiled by men. It contains a number of historical inaccuracies and inconsistencies as well .

...coming from a seasoned Christian and Preacher of the Scriptures.
Re: How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? by thesicilian: 12:49pm On Dec 25, 2021
otipoju:

The events of the bible did not happen in a vaccum.
Most of It happened in real time. In various lands where there were both social and religious rules,regulations and procedures. ...in predominantly semitic cultures.

Therefore extra-biblical sources are valid as long as they have passed the various critical tests of authencity and historical accuracy.

The bible itself is a collection of books that was written and edited and compiled by men. It contains a number of historical inaccuracies and inconsistencies as well .

...coming from a seasoned Christian and Preacher of the Scriptures.
Godx:

Just click on the links to learn.

I understand your logic, just that I do not agree with it because to me it's guess work at best.

Today in the northern part of Nigeria girls are given out in marriage as young as 9 - 14yrs. But what is the percentage of such under-age marriage compared to the general national population? Imagine if in 2000yrs time someone is trying to estimate the age at which a particular Nigerian woman got married and it's being based on the fact that a few northerners practiced under-age marriage?
Re: How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 25, 2021
Wish there were camera phones then

1 Like

Re: How Old Was Mary (mother Of Jesus) When She Gave Birth To Jesus? by otipoju(m): 2:35pm On Dec 25, 2021
thesicilian:

I understand your logic, just that I do not agree with it because to me it's guess work at best.

Today in the northern part of Nigeria girls are given out in marriage as young as 9 - 14yrs. But what is the percentage of such under-age marriage compared to the general national population? Imagine if in 2000yrs time someone is trying to estimate the age at which a particular Nigerian woman got married and it's being based on the fact that a few northerners practiced under-age marriage?

You have a point. That there may be cases of "hasty generalization " however such extra biblical sources are actually very thorough and often indicate the level of certainty of the information being presented.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/biblical-criticism

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Bosun Emmanuel To Nigerian Church: Bring Back The Glory / Differences Between Colonial Jesus And Historical Jesus / I Will Soon Buy Oyedepo Another Aircraft - Pastor Enenche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.