Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,127 members, 7,838,867 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) (1216 Views)

Let's Learn Vegetable Cultivation!!! Newbies Only / The Use Of Super GRO For Fish Farming / Learn Fish Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by FishRector: 8:58am On Dec 27, 2021
This lesson is very important for Fish Farmers and people intending to go into Fish Farming.

I decided to write this post because I realised that some people run into Fish Farming without making some findings on how to feed their Fish.

You can't starve your Fish!

That means that you must spend money buying feed for your fish before they grow upto 1kg.

Let me give a simple breakdown which may enlighten you.

The different prices of fish feeds in Nigeria depends on their protein contents. Some have 35% protein, some 45% etc.

There are also different sizes. There are 0.5 mm, 1 mm, 2 mm, 3 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm and 6 mm. The size of feed you give to your fish depends on the size/age of the fish.

In Nigeria, the current price of coppens fish feed is ₦8000 - ₦13,000 per bag. There are Top Fish Feed, Aller Fish Feed, Blue Crown Fish Feed, Zeigler Fish Feed etc.

These fish feeds can be bought from fish feed stores or any veterinary shops across the country.

The different fish feed brands have their different prices. To be honest, fish floaten feed are very expensive therefore before going into fish farming, it’s good you know the quantity of feed a fish consumes to get to 1kg so that you’ll have a nice budget and not run into debt along the process.

A fish consumes an average of 800 grams of fish feed before is gets to 1kg.

Some fish eat only 600 grams to get to a kilogram and above while some 700 but the average feed consumes by a fish to get to a kg is 800 grams.

This means if you multiply 800 grams by the number of fish in your farm or the number of fish you intend to stock, you’ll surely know the total quantity of feed required to raise your fish from hatchings to adult fish.

This means that in order to feed 1000 fish to a weight of 1kg and above, you’ll need 800 x 1000 which is 800,000 grams, which is also equivalent to 800kg.

This implies that, you’ll need approximately 67 bags of fish feed after they must have passed the coppens stage to achieve 1kg and above.

How many bags of Fish Feed can feed 1000 Fish in a month ?

Approximately, 10 bags of fish feed can feed 1000 fish for a month depending on the sizes of the fishes.

Is it OK to feed fish once a day?

Yes!!! Feeding your fish once a day is considered a good idea so as to help the fish clear their digestive system and to save your cost.

But if you choose to feed them once in a day, make sure you feed them to their satisfaction and that should be in some hours close to mid-day.

How to know if your fish are hungry?

It is very difficult to know if your fish are hungry. But the simplest way to notice if your fish are hungry is to drop a seed of feed into the pond and see the reaction of the fish.

Note: Some types of fish can survive for 4 days without food especially at their matured stage. As such, the farmer is advised to have a feeding schedule of at least once a day for his or her fish.

How long can fish go without eating?

Matured fish can survive for 4 to 5 days without eating while fingerlings and juveniles fish can survive for 3 days without eating.

Will fish stop eating when they are full?

Yes!!! Your fish will automatically stop or reduce the rate of rushing the food your pour into their pond immediately they are full.

Cost of acquiring fish feed
If you have followed the calculations I made up there and you realise that you may not be able to afford the feed that will feed your Fish till it gets to 1kg, these are the steps to boycott the cost:

1. Learn to form your feeds yourself.
It may sound weird or impossible, but trust me, it is very easy to achieve. With good composition, you can form a high nutritive feeds which can flawlessly feed your fish without you going bankrupt. (I'll organise a class for this).

2. Use alternative feeds with high protein levels.
Protein is what makes your fish grow big and large. There are alternative feeds which you can flawlessly feed your fish and they speedily grow as large as possible in a short period of time. Examples are Periwinkles, Maggots etc. (I'll write about this in my next post).

Do you have a question?
Bring it on via comment section.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by restored2016(m): 7:03am On Jan 10, 2022
Waiting for LLFF 102

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by Robzi: 7:50pm On Jan 10, 2022
Wow thanks for this it is very educative
I’ve really learnt much please how can I contact you
Re: Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by Alberttahir: 6:43am On Jan 11, 2022
Good and educative.
Re: Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by CuteFemi(m): 7:30pm On Jan 15, 2022
Nice article.. How can I contact you
Re: Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by Afriquebobo: 8:57pm On Jan 15, 2022
I'm truly learning from this class. Please more of it and don't forget to drop your contact.
Re: Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by SmileDance(f): 3:32pm On Feb 16, 2022
I have 2 questions
1. I want to start with about 50-100 fish, can I use a plastic pond for a start?
2. How often do I change the water in the pond?
Thank you
Re: Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by jeron1(m): 9:12pm On Mar 18, 2022
FishRector:
This lesson is very important for Fish Farmers and people intending to go into Fish Farming.

I decided to write this post because I realised that some people run into Fish Farming without making some findings on how to feed their Fish.

You can't starve your Fish!

That means that you must spend money buying feed for your fish before they grow upto 1kg.

Let me give a simple breakdown which may enlighten you.

The different prices of fish feeds in Nigeria depends on their protein contents. Some have 35% protein, some 45% etc.

There are also different sizes. There are 0.5 mm, 1 mm, 2 mm, 3 mm, 4 mm, 5 mm and 6 mm. The size of feed you give to your fish depends on the size/age of the fish.

In Nigeria, the current price of coppens fish feed is ₦8000 - ₦13,000 per bag. There are Top Fish Feed, Aller Fish Feed, Blue Crown Fish Feed, Zeigler Fish Feed etc.

These fish feeds can be bought from fish feed stores or any veterinary shops across the country.

The different fish feed brands have their different prices. To be honest, fish floaten feed are very expensive therefore before going into fish farming, it’s good you know the quantity of feed a fish consumes to get to 1kg so that you’ll have a nice budget and not run into debt along the process.

A fish consumes an average of 800 grams of fish feed before is gets to 1kg.

Some fish eat only 600 grams to get to a kilogram and above while some 700 but the average feed consumes by a fish to get to a kg is 800 grams.

This means if you multiply 800 grams by the number of fish in your farm or the number of fish you intend to stock, you’ll surely know the total quantity of feed required to raise your fish from hatchings to adult fish.

This means that in order to feed 1000 fish to a weight of 1kg and above, you’ll need 800 x 1000 which is 800,000 grams, which is also equivalent to 800kg.

This implies that, you’ll need approximately 67 bags of fish feed after they must have passed the coppens stage to achieve 1kg and above.

How many bags of Fish Feed can feed 1000 Fish in a month ?

Approximately, 10 bags of fish feed can feed 1000 fish for a month depending on the sizes of the fishes.

Is it OK to feed fish once a day?

Yes!!! Feeding your fish once a day is considered a good idea so as to help the fish clear their digestive system and to save your cost.

But if you choose to feed them once in a day, make sure you feed them to their satisfaction and that should be in some hours close to mid-day.

How to know if your fish are hungry?

It is very difficult to know if your fish are hungry. But the simplest way to notice if your fish are hungry is to drop a seed of feed into the pond and see the reaction of the fish.

Note: Some types of fish can survive for 4 days without food especially at their matured stage. As such, the farmer is advised to have a feeding schedule of at least once a day for his or her fish.

How long can fish go without eating?

Matured fish can survive for 4 to 5 days without eating while fingerlings and juveniles fish can survive for 3 days without eating.

Will fish stop eating when they are full?

Yes!!! Your fish will automatically stop or reduce the rate of rushing the food your pour into their pond immediately they are full.

Cost of acquiring fish feed
If you have followed the calculations I made up there and you realise that you may not be able to afford the feed that will feed your Fish till it gets to 1kg, these are the steps to boycott the cost:

1. Learn to form your feeds yourself.
It may sound weird or impossible, but trust me, it is very easy to achieve. With good composition, you can form a high nutritive feeds which can flawlessly feed your fish without you going bankrupt. (I'll organise a class for this).

2. Use alternative feeds with high protein levels.
Protein is what makes your fish grow big and large. There are alternative feeds which you can flawlessly feed your fish and they speedily grow as large as possible in a short period of time. Examples are Periwinkles, Maggots etc. (I'll write about this in my next post).

Do you have a question?
Bring it on via comment section.

i want to have a chat with u, can u send me a mail on jerry_ado1@yahoo.co.uk pls?
Re: Let's Learn Fish Farming (LLFF 101) by Nikkybless: 12:47pm On May 02, 2022
Has this lecture ended here?? Drop the feed formulation here

(1) (Reply)

Buy Our Solar Street Light To Secure Your Farms And Poultry / My Layers Eyes Are Swollen / "Obudu Rice" The Pride Of Cross River State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.