Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,368 members, 7,954,493 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:22 PM

Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players (16432 Views)

Nwankwo Kanu Ranked 13 Out Of 50 Arsenal Greatest Players / Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports / Supersport – Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Football Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by smile11s(m): 2:57am On Jun 16, 2011
Nigeria Legend Nwankwo Kanu emerged tops in our six-month quest to find Nigeria’s 50 greatest players on SuperSport.com.

The search for Nigeria’s fifty greatest players of all time was always going to be an interesting exercise and a hugely daunting task, especially as the online generation is mostly handicapped by the absence of enduring footage of players from years gone by. The international acclaim of great Nigerian teams from the USA 94 and France 98 Fifa World Cups and the 1996 Atlanta Olympics proved quite a strong influence in the voting, as did their exploits in Europe.

Tell us who you think deserves to be there and why. In the end perhaps Kanu's string of International honours earned him top place ahead of the incomparable Austin "Jay-Jay" Okocha :

1. Nwankwo Kanu
2. Austin Okocha
3. Sunday Oliseh
4. Rashidi Yekini
5. Segun Odegbami
6. Stephen Keshi
7. Emmanuel Amuneke
8. Finidi George
9. Christian Chukwu
10. Muda lawal
11. Peter Rufai
12. Daniel Amokachi

13. Taribo West
14. Uche Okechukwu
15. Teslim “Thunder”Balogun
16. Victor Ikpeba
17. Samson Siasia
18. Adokiye Amiesimaka
19Vincent Enyeama
20. Celestine Babayaro
21. Thomson Usiyan
22. Taiye ‘Taiwo
23. Henry Nwosu
24. Emmanuel Okala
25. Felix Owolabi
26. Haruna Ilerika
27. Joseph Yobo
28. Aloysius Atuegbu
29. Richard Owubokiri
30. Elkanah Onyeali
31. Patrick Ekeji
32. Best Ogedengbe
33. Bright Omokaro
34. Peter Anieke
35. Yisa Shofoluwe
36. Ben Iroha
37. Julius Aghahowa
38. Osaze Odemwingie
39. Albert Onyeawuna
40. Augustine Eguavoen
41. Yisa Shofoluwe
42. Obafemi Martins
43. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
44. Tijani Babangida
45. Tony Igwe
46. John Obi Mikel
47. Sam Garba Okoye
48. Friday Okoh
49. Etim Esin
50. Dan Anyiam

© SuperSport.com
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by OlaRay4(m): 6:56am On Jun 16, 2011
In the end perhaps Kanu's string of International honours earned

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha What a load of rubbish, he has 2 AGE RELATED MEDALS (A-G-E R-E-L-A-T-E-D)

Tell me what he did for the national team?
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Syenite(m): 1:33pm On Jun 18, 2011
I quite agree more with the top ten than I would for the remainder of the list.

Ola-Ray:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha What a load of rubbish, he has 2 AGE RELATED MEDALS (A-G-E R-E-L-A-T-E-D)

Tell me what he did for the national team?

Show me which other player in that top 10 that won 2 age related medals. Besides this was not conducted based on National team football alone but also club engagements.We cannot also rule out the fact that Kanu contributed alot to our Senior National Team.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by omar22(m): 3:19pm On Jun 18, 2011
We cannot also rule out the fact that Kanu contributed alot to our Senior National Team.

Like what?
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Syenite(m): 4:16pm On Jun 18, 2011
omar22:

Like what?

He featured prominently for our national Team for 17yrs. He was Team captain for the last 3yrs he spent in the national team.He was never the highest goal scorer but he definitely created several chances for others to score. You think football is all about dribbling like Jayjay Ochacha did?His inflence on the game was always noticeable: Deadly passes, good ball holding ability, good positioning, he caused several free-kicks and penalties that led to goals 'cos he was easily fould by opponents.He is the most Inteliigent player this country has ever had. He plays more with his brains than any other part of his body. Whether you like it or not KANU NWANKWO IS THE KING OF NIGERIAN FOOTBALL.

1 Like

Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by babyboy3(m): 5:44pm On Jun 18, 2011
He featured prominently for our national Team for 17yrs. He was Team captain for the last 3yrs he spent in the national team.He was never the highest goal scorer but he definitely created several chances for others to score. You think football is all about dribbling like Jayjay Ochacha did?His inflence on the game was always noticeable: Deadly passes, good ball holding ability, good positioning, he caused several free-kicks and penalties that led to goals 'cos he was easily fould by opponents.He is the most Inteliigent player this country has ever had. He plays more with his brains than any other part of his body. Whether you like it or not KANU NWANKWO IS THE KING OF NIGERIAN FOOTBALL.

He won nothing apart from 2 age related tournament,  yeah lets praise Elton John for entering this years talent show
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Syenite(m): 5:54pm On Jun 18, 2011
baby-boy:

He won nothing apart from 2 age related tournament, yeah lets praise Elton John for entering this years talent show

So who do you think should top the list?
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by babyboy3(m): 5:57pm On Jun 18, 2011
So who do you think should top the list?

not Kanu
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Syenite(m): 6:02pm On Jun 18, 2011
baby-boy:

not Kanu

Rodger Miller or Samuel Eto'o?
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by kolaoloye(m): 6:08pm On Jun 18, 2011
Kanu for where I laff in Kano grin grin
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by babyboy3(m): 6:08pm On Jun 18, 2011
Rodger Miller or Samuel Eto'o?

The last time I checked they are not 9ja
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Syenite(m): 6:17pm On Jun 18, 2011
baby-boy:

The last time I checked they are not 9ja

These are the only two that are greater than Kanu in the whole of Africa. So what does that tell you?

kola oloye:

Kanu for where I laff in Kano grin grin

If you like make you laugh in Boko Haram. "It's not Kanu, it's not Kanu" but you refused to name an alternative. Or don't you know the name of any other Nigerian player.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by kolaoloye(m): 6:20pm On Jun 18, 2011
Okocha is the father of them all.I said it before you can also ask Ronaldhino.  grin
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Syenite(m): 6:23pm On Jun 18, 2011
kola oloye:

Okocha is the father of them all.I said it before you can also ask Ronaldhino. grin

What are his achievements both for country and clubs. Oya.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Syenite(m): 6:39pm On Jun 18, 2011
UCL TITLE:                                KANU: yes     .  Okocha: nil
EPL or Any LEAGUE TITLE:        KANU: yes   .    Okocha:nil
FA CUP:                                    KANU: yes     .  Okocha : nil
CAF PLAYER OF THE YEAR:        KANU: Yes.      Okocha:nil
FIFA U/17 WC                           KANU: yes       Okocha:nil
OLYMPIC GOLD                         KANU: yes       Okocha:yes
ACN                                          KANU: nil         Okocha:yes
WORLD CUP APPEARNCES        KANU: 3          Okocha:3
AGE AT DEBUTE FOR EAGLES    KANU:18         Okocha: 20
CLUBS KANU: ,Ajax, Intermilan, Arsenal, Westbrom,Portsmouth Okocha:Frankfurt, Fanabache, PSG, Bolton, Hull-City

Abeg the difference is clear. Put another player on that table and compare with Kanu.You think football is all about dribbling?
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by babyboy3(m): 8:57pm On Jun 18, 2011
These are the only two that are greater than Kanu in the whole of Africa. So what does that tell you?

You just showed your lack of Knowledge of African football,

Kanu spent 17 years in the Super Eagles scored on 13 goals in 86 outings, even Solomon Kalou scored 13 goals in 37games

Drogba 49 goals in 9 years
El Hadji Diouf 31 goals 10 years
Benni McCarthy 31 goals 14 years
Asamoah Gyan 36 goals 8 years
Freddy Kanute 39 goals 6 years
Samuel Eto 51 goals 14 years
Patrick Mboma 33 goals 9 years
George Weah 22 goals 19 years
Rabah Madjer 29 goals 14 years

Those are stats for other strikers in Africa, Kanu's stats as a striker would make Peter Crouch look like Marco Van Basten
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by babyboy3(m): 8:59pm On Jun 18, 2011
UCL TITLE: KANU: yes . Okocha: nil
EPL or Any LEAGUE TITLE: KANU: yes . Okocha:nil
FA CUP: KANU: yes . Okocha : nil
CAF PLAYER OF THE YEAR: KANU: Yes. Okocha:nil
FIFA U/17 WC KANU: yes Okocha:nil
OLYMPIC GOLD KANU: yes Okocha:yes
ACN KANU: nil Okocha:yes
WORLD CUP APPEARNCES KANU: 3 Okocha:3
AGE AT DEBUTE FOR EAGLES KANU:18 Okocha: 20
CLUBS KANU: ,Ajax, Intermilan, Arsenal, Westbrom,Portsmouth Okocha:Frankfurt, Fanabache, PSG, Bolton, Hull-City

Abeg the difference is clear. Put another player on that table and compare with Kanu.You think football is all about dribbling?

George Weah hasnt got those stats but Kanu is not fit to lace his boots,
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by DualCore1: 3:54pm On Jun 19, 2011
Don't worry, when next a "big" Nigerian player retires a new list will come out and feature him at number 1. Make una no worry, if Uncle Sepp fit be FIFA monarch then impossible is nothing.

baby-boy:

You just showed your lack of Knowledge of African football,

Kanu spent 17 years in the Super Eagles scored on 13 goals in 86 outings, even Solomon Kalou scored 13 goals in 37games

Drogba 49 goals in 9 years
El Hadji Diouf 31 goals 10 years
Benni McCarthy 31 goals 14 years
Asamoah Gyan 36 goals 8 years
Freddy Kanute 39 goals 6 years
Samuel Eto 51 goals 14 years
Patrick Mboma 33 goals 9 years
George Weah 22 goals 19 years
Rabah Madjer 29 goals 14 years

Those are stats for other strikers in Africa, Kanu's stats as a striker would make Peter Crouch look like Marco Van Basten

The context here is Nigeria's 50 greatest players.
Note that the term "greatest" is not absolute but relative to context. You will be making a good case if the context of that list was "Africa", however the context is "Nigeria".

Syenite:

UCL TITLE:                                KANU: yes     .  Okocha: nil
EPL or Any LEAGUE TITLE:        KANU: yes   .    Okocha:nil
FA CUP:                                    KANU: yes     .  Okocha : nil
CAF PLAYER OF THE YEAR:        KANU: Yes.      Okocha:nil
FIFA U/17 WC                           KANU: yes       Okocha:nil
OLYMPIC GOLD                         KANU: yes       Okocha:yes
ACN                                          KANU: nil         Okocha:yes
WORLD CUP APPEARNCES        KANU: 3          Okocha:3
AGE AT DEBUTE FOR EAGLES    KANU:18         Okocha: 20

All these tearing muscles, you dey find free heart transplant jackpot abi?
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by MMM2(m): 4:02pm On Jun 19, 2011
my name is not in d list angry
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by aloyemeka1: 4:10pm On Jun 19, 2011
Papilo and Okocha deserves the number 1 and 2 spots. I also think that late Sam Okawraji should have made the top 10 and Raheedi should have made #3 and Am okachi should pick a spot before Keshi. So what about Emmanuel Okala?
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Syenite(m): 4:11pm On Jun 19, 2011
Dual Core:

The context here is Nigeria's 50 greatest players.
Note that the term "greatest" is not absolute but relative to context. You will be making a good case if the context of that list was "Africa", however the context is "Nigeria".

Right on target bro.

Dual Core:

All these tearing muscles, you dey find free heart transplant jackpot abi?

No nothing attached.It's just that to whom honour is due honour should be given.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by vicenzo(m): 4:28pm On Jun 19, 2011
Great players are always a part of a winning team,thats why fifa have more often than not picked the world footballer of the year winner from the team that won titles,kanu has featured for a title winning team than okocha or any other nigerian,that should tell you who is greater.
Personally i don't like kanu type of football,he reminds me of ibrahimovich,but okocha is more of an entertainer than a footballer,for a guy with his skills and ability its a shame he is second to kanu,stats don't lie.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by vicenzo(m): 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2011
M M M:

my name is not in d list angry
Are you a footballer?
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by chino11(m): 4:43pm On Jun 19, 2011
Igbos topping the list with first 3 football giants. Where are the Yoruba bigots? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by maclatunji: 4:50pm On Jun 19, 2011
Kanu is rightfully on top of that list. However, Yekini should be third after Okocha. Unfortunajely, both Kanu and Okocha never really fulfilled their potential to be World Cup winners and world best players, maybe we can strengthen our new team to get to such heights.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by maclatunji: 4:50pm On Jun 19, 2011
Kanu is rightfully on top of that list. However, Yekini should be third after Okocha. Unfortunajely, both Kanu and Okocha never really fulfilled their potential to be World Cup winners and world best players, maybe we can strengthen our new team to get to such heights.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Musiwa52: 5:14pm On Jun 19, 2011
who ever wrote the information is wrong.  kanu can not be among nigeria top 10 greatest player.

This is the man who is nigeria greatest soccer player. Rashidi yekini, they call him Yeking.

[img]http://www.sportschau.de/sp/fifawm2010/fussball_afrika/wichtigste_spieler/img/yekini_rashidi_jubel_512_20.jpg[/img]

Goals
teslim balogun i dont know how many goals.
37 Rashidi Yekini      was top soccer in europe , i think 2 or 3 session
23 Segun Odegbami
21 Yakubu Aiyegbeni
18 Obafemi Martins   
17 Sunday Oyarekhua
14 Daniel Amokachi
14 Jay-Jay Okocha
14 Julius Aghahowa

you stephen keshi above kanu. chuckwu above, emmanuel okalla, best ojedegbe, peter rufia all  of this people are above kanu   ,

so kanu will not make the first 10 in nigeria.

the first top 20 greatest player  not in the order 

teslim balogun, Rashidi Yekini      , Segun Odegbami  , yakubu Aiyegbeni,  Obafemi Martins   , stephen keshi, jay jay okocha,  christain chuckwu , emmanuel okalla, peter rufia, muda lawal , samson siasia, mutiu adepoju, Henry Nwosu. Finidi George, Sunday Oliseh , Felix Owolabi, yisa sofoluwe, Augustine Eguavoen, ,   

this people are nigeria top 20  greatest player ever.  kanu is below any of them even Daniel Amokachi, finidi george and  Taribo West  may be among the top 20.

some i cant recall their name

Augustine Eguavoen is nigeria best ever right wing defender, he has given opposition , more penalty kick against nigeria, than anyone.   if you pass him, penalty against nigeria. he will kick you down.  but he was good.  rashidi yekini is the best 9 ever.   jay jay okocha is the best 10. segun odegbami is the best 7.  peter rufia is the best goal keeper.   sunday oliseh is nigeria best mid fielder ever.   stephen keshi is the best captain .

While Obafemi martin is the highest paid Nigeria player at €17 million.  the most ever paid transfered for a nigeria player.  he is worth ever dollar.

Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by AlexJ1(m): 5:17pm On Jun 19, 2011
Okocha is a lesson to others. Titles matter.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by Sagamite(m): 5:26pm On Jun 19, 2011
I would have rather gone with:

1. Austin Okocha
2. Rashidi Yekini
3. Nwankwo Kanu
4. Finidi George
5. Segun Odegbami
6. Sunday Oliseh
7. Uche Okechukwu
8. Taribo West
9. Stephen Keshi
10. Muda lawal

Nigeria's national team or any club team has never depended mainly on Kanu, he has mostly been bit and part player in all his career. There is no way he can be the greatest. Especially over JJ and Yekini.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by okunoba(m): 5:31pm On Jun 19, 2011
Kanu deserves to be one or second based on his club achievements, Yekini should be one or two based on his contribution to the National team(Nigeria`s highest goal scorer) We are still searching for a consistent goal scorer for the National team ever since he retired from International football. Football is about scoring goals not dribbling and for that  I would rate Yakubu the second highest goal scorer for Nigeria above Okocha any day.  Okala should be top ten at the least, the man was the safest hands in Africa for many years. Oliseh should be far from that list, i still blame him for our loss to Italy at the 94 WC. Two mistakes by him in the final minutes of regular playing time cost us the game.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by vicenzo(m): 5:44pm On Jun 19, 2011
A bit and part player?How i wish we have many bit and part players playing for teams like arsenal,bayern,inter today instead of bench warmers in many small teams in europe.
Re: Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players by jonyjay(m): 5:56pm On Jun 19, 2011
Where is Mutiu Adepoju in that list?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

U20 WC : Nigeria Vs Croatia (5 - 2) On Thursday 4th August @ 2am Nig Time / Atletico Madrid Signs Morata Permanently From Chelsea / Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.