Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land (489 Views)

How I Inherited N350,000 NEPA Bill Debt In My New Lagos Apartment / Things To Know When Buying An Inherited Property / How Do I Get Required Documents To Sell An Inherited House In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by Keizzmann(m): 7:57am On Jan 01, 2022
Hello Nairalander and happy New Year to us all
This is my 1st post to this platform due to the level of importance this issue has to me and i hope to get guidance from people with right information.

So, my dad bought a plot of land somewhere in Ogun state before his demise in 2019 for 600k. Sadly, he never showed me nor my siblings and my mom the location of the land cause he wanted to make it a surprise for us, but we knew he had the land. The only people with the location are his closest friends.

Since he died, I've been having issues on what yo do about the land cause the only document of the land that he had is the original receipt of the transaction which is safely in my possession. Many of my father's friends have been on my neck to do something about the land before it gets taken but my lack of knowledge about lamd issues has made it difficult to make a choice, cause i believe that a receipt may not be enough to claim land ownership.

Other issues that have not helped me out is that it's been so hard to survive since he died and I'm a full time student with no job or means of survival. I wish i could get good leverage information that can turn the situation to something good for my family, maybr sell it to make ends meet or something but i need help on what to do and what level of ownership the receipt grants me.

Please guys, i need your advice. Thanks
Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by Assurance001(f): 8:12am On Jan 01, 2022
It's obvious you have known the location. Have you tried relating with the seller?
Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by dingbang(m): 8:15am On Jan 01, 2022
Sell it and take care of yourself. Afterall land will still remain and we humans will still leave this earth.
Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by house10s: 8:33am On Jan 01, 2022
Keizzmann:
Hello Nairalander and happy New Year to us all
This is my 1st post to this platform due to the level of importance this issue has to me and i hope to get guidance from people with right information.

So, my dad bought a plot of land somewhere in Ogun state before his demise in 2019 for 600k. Sadly, he never showed me nor my siblings and my mom the location of the land cause he wanted to make it a surprise for us, but we knew he had the land. The only people with the location are his closest friends.

Since he died, I've been having issues on what yo do about the land cause the only document of the land that he had is the original receipt of the transaction which is safely in my possession. Many of my father's friends have been on my neck to do something about the land before it gets taken but my lack of knowledge about lamd issues has made it difficult to make a choice, cause i believe that a receipt may not be enough to claim land ownership.

Other issues that have not helped me out is that it's been so hard to survive since he died and I'm a full time student with no job or means of survival. I wish i could get good leverage information that can turn the situation to something good for my family, maybr sell it to make ends meet or something but i need help on what to do and what level of ownership the receipt grants me.

Please guys, i need your advice. Thanks

just put fence n write buyers beware.

nothing else to do with land wen never reach time to work
Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by Kriss216: 8:36am On Jan 01, 2022
house10s:

just put fence n write buyers beware.

nothing else to do with land wen never reach time to work
Someone that is struggling to survive as a student should put fence? You think say fencing na biscuit?

OP, try and sell the land with the help of your father's friend. Sort yourself and your family. Land no dey finish.

3 Likes

Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by mannasseh(m): 9:03am On Jan 01, 2022
first. you only have an Equitable Title over that land.

2nd. you can't exercise any legal right over such Land because a deed of conveyance has not been executed and duly signed and Registered

3rd. A sale to another person who then goes on to Execute a deed and Registers it over the said land obtains a better title than you.

what you have to do is,
go to the vendors of the land and have them execute a deed of conveyance On the land, which should be signed by both parties and if you can't afford the heavy monetary registration, then ask a lawyer to get you a 50 naira stamp and affix it to the document.

note: that Receipt doesn't confer any legal title on you, but only Equitable, though its an evidence of consideration being furnished which will make the court ask the vendor to complete performance upon an action brought by you to court. make your moves now!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by Keizzmann(m): 11:18am On Jan 01, 2022
Assurance001:
It's obvious you have known the location. Have you tried relating with the seller?

I haven't been there at all, nor have i related with the seller
Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by Keizzmann(m): 11:20am On Jan 01, 2022
mannasseh:
first. you only have an Equitable Title over that land.

2nd. you can't exercise any legal right over such Land because a deed of conveyance has not been executed and duly signed and Registered

3rd. A sale to another person who then goes on to Execute a deed and Registers it over the said land obtains a better title than you.

what you have to do is,
go to the vendors of the land and have them execute a deed of conveyance On the land, which should be signed by both parties and if you can't afford the heavy monetary registration, then ask a lawyer to get you a 50 naira stamp and affix it to the document.

note: that Receipt doesn't confer any legal title on you, but only Equitable, though its an evidence of consideration being furnished which will make the court ask the vendor to complete performance upon an action brought by you to court. make your moves now!!!!!!

Thank you very much for your knowledgeable contribution sir

I shall consider yout stance sir
Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by mannasseh(m): 12:45pm On Jan 01, 2022
Keizzmann:

Thank you very much for your knowledgeable contribution sir

I shall consider yout stance sir
abeg na boy I be abeg
Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by system000001(m): 4:33pm On Jan 01, 2022
If u wish to sale it, I can buy it add me on 07039502966 on whatsapp to talk beta
Re: Help!!!! Guidance Needed On An Inherited Land by Keizzmann(m): 9:32pm On Jan 01, 2022
system000001:
If u wish to sale it, I can buy it add me on 07039502966 on whatsapp to talk beta

Alright sir, I'll keep you posted

(1) (Reply)

5 Bedroom Fully Detached House For Sale in Banana Island, Lagos! FASTEST BUYER! / Tastefully Finished Duplex At Ikeja For Sale (photo) / Distress Half Plot Facing Dangote Refinery Expressway Oshoroko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.