Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,819 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats (1371 Views)

My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic / Toyota Speeds Up Electrified Vehicle Schedule As Demand Heats Up / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Davidlanny: 5:18am On Jan 03, 2022
Hi Nairakander,

I just got a toyota Sienna 2008 but it overheats when A/C is turned in when the weather is hot.
A mechanic and few others insisted that I get a double cell radiator that d single cell will not work in Nigeria.

Kindly help. Is it true that single cell radiator is too small for the vehicle?
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Mottomata(m): 5:22am On Jan 03, 2022
Dear OP,
The cooling system had been compromised. Did you buy it as a Nigerian used or foreign?

1 Like

Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Davidlanny: 5:44am On Jan 03, 2022
Foreign used sir.
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Dozieson(m): 6:25am On Jan 03, 2022
Davidlanny:
Foreign used sir.

Hope you noticed the overheating on time?
Or did the overheating shut down the car?
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Davidlanny: 6:53am On Jan 03, 2022
I did when the temperature gets a bit abovw half mark but no boiking in the engine. I washed d condenser and radiator whn I took the car to cash wash. There was a little improvement but the temoerature guage moves a bit above half mark after a ling time. It normalises when I turn off the A/C
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by melviniyke2002(m): 9:30am On Jan 03, 2022
Try dis,saw it here on narialand, hope it helps:
Hello OP the following is the cause of your car overheating each time you on your AC. It requires sequential troubleshooting:

1. The direction of fan flow - check if the fan is still force draft i.e blowing air across the radiation. It should be clockwise direction - the same principle with standing fans. Also, check the blade angle if it is still okay.

2. Check your water pump if it is still functional or worn.

3. Check your thermostat if is stuck. I once had the same issue which thermostat was part of the root cause. You can check yourself by removing the thermostat and put it in boiled water. If it opens then is still okay, if it doesn't then the spring is damaged; change it.

4. Check the radiator for leakage and blockage.

5. Check for possible leakage from the connecting hoses.

6. Check also possible leakage from the condenser

7. Check if your car is using the right compressor. It might be of higher capacity which definitely will overheat the car.

8. Function test the top gasket if is still okay. You can check by feeling the radiator with water while the engine is running (Not when the engine is hot oh!). If it bubbles like continuously then definitely, the top gasket is gone; change it.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by chidooh1: 10:05am On Jan 03, 2022
Dozieson:

Hope you noticed the overheating on time?
Or did the overheating shut down the car?
please what is the implications of overheating shutting down a car
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by sultaan(m): 10:18am On Jan 03, 2022
It is a little above middle with ac running and hot weather is normal.
The only thing that should be recommended is replacing your coolant with new recommended type.

Anything apart from a fresh coolant will cause other problems. You have done the right thing by washing the cooling fins, both of this is part of regular maintenance.
Keep things simple, don't go down that expensive road, it is good you are watching your thermostat but it is only bad when you approach the red marks
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Davidlanny: 1:46pm On Jan 03, 2022
melviniyke2002:
Try dis,saw it here on narialand, hope it helps:
Hello OP the following is the cause of your car overheating each time you on your AC. It requires sequential troubleshooting:

1. The direction of fan flow - check if the fan is still force draft i.e blowing air across the radiation. It should be clockwise direction - the same principle with standing fans. Also, check the blade angle if it is still okay.

2. Check your water pump if it is still functional or worn.

3. Check your thermostat if is stuck. I once had the same issue which thermostat was part of the root cause. You can check yourself by removing the thermostat and put it in boiled water. If it opens then is still okay, if it doesn't then the spring is damaged; change it.

4. Check the radiator for leakage and blockage.

5. Check for possible leakage from the connecting hoses.

6. Check also possible leakage from the condenser

7. Check if your car is using the right compressor. It might be of higher capacity which definitely will overheat the car.

8. Function test the top gasket if is still okay. You can check by feeling the radiator with water while the engine is running (Not when the engine is hot oh!). If it bubbles like continuously then definitely, the top gasket is gone; change it.
1,2,4,5,6,7,8 confirmed. I need to check 3
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Davidlanny: 1:48pm On Jan 03, 2022
sultaan:
It is a little above middle with ac running and hot weather is normal.
The only thing that should be recommended is replacing your coolant with new recommended type.

Anything apart from a fresh coolant will cause other problems. You have done the right thing by washing the cooling fins, both of this is part of regular maintenance.
Keep things simple, don't go down that expensive road, it is good you are watching your thermostat but it is only bad when you approach the red marks

Hi Sultaan, if the temperature runs a little bit above the middle mark, the ac begins to blow hot starting from the rear vents.
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Dozieson(m): 3:27pm On Jan 03, 2022
chidooh1:
please what is the implications of overheating shutting down a car

Warped engine block and top

This may lead to leaks in coolant/oil and cause further overheating
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by chidooh1: 3:39pm On Jan 03, 2022
Dozieson:

Warped engine block and top

This may lead to leaks in coolant/oil and cause further overheating
I actually went through this due to a licking water pump, after the repairs the car became OK but with a massive oil shortage. Please, how do i rectify this oil disappearance. Car drives well but oil shortage is huge.
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Dozieson(m): 5:05pm On Jan 03, 2022
chidooh1:
I actually went through this due to a licking water pump, after the repairs the car became OK but with a massive oil shortage. Please, how do i rectify this oil disappearance. Car drives well but oil shortage is huge.

Is the car smoking?

The engine top should be check for warp. It not the problem will continue.
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by chidooh1: 5:41pm On Jan 03, 2022
Dozieson:

Is the car smoking?

The engine top should be check for warp. It not the problem will continue.
not really a noticeable smoking, if parked for days without usage smoking will occur for few seconds or there-about and stop, then you have the whole day smoke free. When you raise it hard too smoke will come.
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Dozieson(m): 6:01pm On Jan 03, 2022
chidooh1:
not really a noticeable smoking, if parked for days without usage smoking will occur for few seconds or there-about and stop, then you have the whole day smoke free. When you raise it hard too smoke will come.

You need a good mechanic to check the engine top/block for any warp
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by chidooh1: 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2022
Dozieson:

You need a good mechanic to check the engine top/block for any warp
ok and thanks, all what my mechanic knows is ringing ringing ringing, he never suggested any other form of solution i don't know if he is right or just interested in the money.
Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Dozieson(m): 7:21pm On Jan 03, 2022
chidooh1:
ok and thanks, all what my mechanic knows is ringing ringing ringing, he never suggested any other form of solution i don't know if he is right or just interested in the money.

If you are in Lagos, contact gazzuzz or autologic.

Contact kingreign if you are in Abuja

1 Like

Re: Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats by Davidlanny: 9:02am On Jan 22, 2022
Thank you all. Over heating when the A/C is turned on is resolved!

Solution: Took out the radiator from the Car with the help of a mechanic to a car wash. After the thorough washing, the radiator was fixed and issue resolved!!

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

(1) (Reply)

My Toyota Camry Stopping Issues / How Much Can I Get A Tokunbo VW GOLF3? / Toyota Yaris 2008 Available for Sale (Nigerian Used) - SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.