Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

A Discouraged Newbie - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Discouraged Newbie (1071 Views)

My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie / How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. / Help A Newbie To Coding. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Discouraged Newbie by Mhistaedie01(m): 3:09am On Jan 05, 2022
Good day guys

I started programming out of passion at first until when stuffs got really tough that I got really got concerned about the money. Currently I'm learning Javascript as i intend to be a web developer. I know the basics of html and css.

Most times I do see adverts from some developers about building a website for 20k some of them 15k and it's very discouraging to see such adverts. I'm asking senior and experienced web developers if this is how much they charge for so much work they put into building a website.

I know how much my parent sacrificed to get me a laptop and I would to repay them handsomely.
Please i'll be delighted if I can get a mentor here. Learning on your own can be confusing at times. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: A Discouraged Newbie by kennethfranc(m): 8:32am On Jan 05, 2022
Mhistaedie01:
Good day guys

I started programming out of passion at first until when stuffs got really tough that I got really got concerned about the money. Currently I'm learning Javascript as i intend to be a web developer. I know the basics of html and css.

Most times I do see adverts from some developers about building a website for 20k some of them 15k and it's very discouraging to see such adverts. I'm asking senior and experienced web developers if this is how much they charge for so much work they put into building a website.

I know how much my parent sacrificed to get me a laptop and I would to repay them handsomely.
Please i'll be delighted if I can get a mentor here. Learning on your own can be confusing at times. embarassed
Getting a mentor here is almost as impossible as finding a dedicated study partner. I believe that's part of the price one needs to pay.
On the money aspect, if you're good at it,to accept 250k job as a beginner should come with some level of shakara..... Remember that the journey is not for the faint hearted
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by LikeAking: 8:50am On Jan 05, 2022
Mhistaedie01:
Good day guys

Sorry!
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by jesmond3945: 10:00am On Jan 05, 2022
Mhistaedie01:
Good day guys

lol. My brother there is money in what you are doing. Trust me. It is a global skill. Please know what you are doing very well first. Those people offering 20k are jokers. Ignore them.
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Mhistaedie01(m): 10:03am On Jan 05, 2022
Wow 250k... That's more like it. Thanks for the advice
kennethfranc:

Getting a mentor here is almost as impossible as finding a dedicated study partner. I believe that's part of the price one needs to pay.
On the money aspect, if you're good at it,to accept 250k job as a beginner should come with some level of shakara..... Remember that the journey is not for the faint hearted
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Mhistaedie01(m): 10:04am On Jan 05, 2022
Yeah that's why I need a mentor. I want to be very good at this
jesmond3945:
lol. My brother there is money in what you are doing. Trust me. It is a global skill. Please know what you are doing very well first. Those people offering 20k are jokers. Ignore them.
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by qtguru(m): 10:51am On Jan 05, 2022
Because you people are not following the trends that's why, you should be working for platforms and not building websites, there's wix and themes and templates, focus on building plugins or extending a platform, you find gigs and jobs easier, learn the skills that's the most sought after, even if it's complex. Programming is not beans, it's hard for a reason because it requires constant practice. Change from the mindset of building websites to a mindset of developing plugins and extending a platform. You will find plenty clients. The era of web design is gone, B2B platforms should be your focus.

All the best

9 Likes

Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Imoleholuuu(f): 4:49pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mhistaedie01:
Good day guys

Do you need an accountability partner. We can learn together and be good together �
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by stanliwise(m): 5:57pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mhistaedie01:
Good day guys

Their are value delivery worth 20k, there are some worth 200k, there are some worth 20Million. It all depends on how much of value you can give, and how much you know your worth.

20k for a website for me would not exceed script installation and me not typing any line of code. else na slavery. but....................................................................................................................................................................

If you're starting out, make sacrifices to get the experience, but before the sacrifice, learn to communicated your worth
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by MOS6502: 6:27pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mhistaedie01:
Yeah that's why I need a mentor. I want to be very good at this

How can you become good at it, when you are not bad at it yet?

I gave some guy same tip - I will give you;

Swith to Linux cold turkey.
1. Use codeacademy free; then
2. Use freecodecamp

U must finish the codeacademy html/css/js in 30 days (should be 2 weeks).
If you don't; get a new account and start all over again. repeat until you succeed. Then move to freecodecamp;

Watch interview about other developers talking about how they did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ewBEPpYYnM&list=RDCMUCSD0dLRGQk_T-D3RvpM5aFQ&index=1
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Karleb(m): 6:34pm On Jan 05, 2022
Don't be discouraged man.

Those ads is similar to someone offering you iPhone 13 for N100k.

Shey you get?

If you still doubt, just pretend you want to build a website and ask any web developer you know how much they'll charge.

1 Like

Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Mhistaedie01(m): 12:02am On Jan 06, 2022
I will be very much interested in that. Can i pm you or can you drop your whatsapp number
Imoleholuuu:

Do you need an accountability partner. We can learn together and be good together �
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Imoleholuuu(f): 12:17am On Jan 06, 2022
Mhistaedie01:
I will be very much interested in that. Can i pm you or can you drop your whatsapp number
Send a mail
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Chuukwudi(m): 1:28am On Jan 06, 2022
Dont let those WordPress people intimidate you. Fire on with your JavaScript. Everywhere go soft.

2 Likes

Re: A Discouraged Newbie by abbenism001(m): 2:06am On Jan 06, 2022
I love your advice. Am also in the same shoe . I have learnt html, am on css. How can you help me to be a better developer. What is that Linus turkey cold all about and what are the requirements. Thanks
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Nobody: 2:15am On Jan 06, 2022
qtguru:
Because you people are not following the trends that's why, you should be working for platforms and not building websites, there's wix and themes and templates, focus on building plugins or extending a platform, you find gigs and jobs easier, learn the skills that's the most sought after, even if it's complex. Programming is not beans, it's hard for a reason because it requires constant practice. Change from the mindset of building websites to a mindset of developing plugins and extending a platform. You will find plenty clients. The era of web design is gone, B2B platforms should be your focus.

All the best
I noticed the same , the demand for people who can use no code tools is an untapped niche eg appsheet , adalo , bubble , softr , airtable
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Luckydonalds(m): 10:07pm On Jan 09, 2022
Imoleholuuu:

Hey there Imoleholuuu, I'll like to join this team and we can be accountable to ourselves.
I'm done with Html basics and currently on CSS.
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by ichidodo: 7:23am On Jan 11, 2022
Mhistaedie01:
Good day guys

Forget web, just go into data mining.
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Innovate112: 11:27am On Jan 11, 2022
Can I join you guys.
Imoleholuuu:

Send a mail
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Imoleholuuu(f): 1:17pm On Jan 11, 2022
Luckydonalds:

Hey there Imoleholuuu, I'll like to join this team and we can be accountable to ourselves.
I'm done with Html basics and currently on CSS.
Yes sure. Please send a mail
Re: A Discouraged Newbie by Luckydonalds(m): 8:57am On Jan 12, 2022
Imoleholuuu:

Yes sure. Please send a mail
Sent

(1) (Reply)

Javascript Resource!!! / Visual Fortran / Visual Basic Programming Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.