Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,234 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Pursue My Career Or Japa - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pursue My Career Or Japa (608 Views)

Is Medical Sales Rep A Good Career Or Job? / Resigning My Position To Pursue My Goal: Advice Needed / Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pursue My Career Or Japa by LordVoldmort(m): 2:46pm On Jan 09, 2022
Hello everyone.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section. Mods please help move to the correct section.

Please I'm at a cross road. Here's a background to my story. I apologize for the length. I just need to have an unbiased advice.

I have been working in the financial industry as a contract staff and last year, I got converted to a full time staff. salary is a few thousands shy of 300k.

I'm a family oriented individual and plan on getting married before I hit 30. This has always been my plan. I also am a career focused and driven individual and I want to go back to school for my masters. I'm hungry for knowledge.

My company has a scheme where they sponsor you to do your masters in any school in the world and pay up to 80% provided it's online and you maintain certain appraisal levels.

Also, my company promotes every 2 years subject to satisfactory performance. They also pay huge bonus and profit sharing every year. They also review salaries upwards every year to reflect current economic realities. My next promotion will be next year with an approximate salary of a few thousands shy of 400k.

Now here's my problem.

I Intend giving my best to this company because believe me it's a great place to work with amazing people. I'm one of a few Nigerians who love their jobs and wake up everyday eager to go to work. The company rewards hardwork and there's prospect of moving to my most preferred department.

My problem is that my brother wants me to work for like 2-3 years, save up and japa to Canada via study route. I used to have the mindset of japa but now that things are looking a bit fair and life is picking up, the japa thoughts is doing me one Kain.

My bro says online degrees from foreign recognized institutions do not carry as much weight as when I'm over there studying.

My bro is doing well for himself. Married with kids and is about relocating this year to Canada with his family. His wife is a professional too.

I'm currently 27. I intend getting married before 30, settle down quickly and plan my future with my family early. I have a serious gf. We've known each other since our secondary school days and she's about to go for NYSC. She said she won't marry now until she's financially sound. She's 25. She's a really good fashion designer and a really smart and homely lady. We've had our fights too like every relationship but she ticks all my boxes in what I want In a woman. My brothers love her although I haven't introduced her to my parents yet. I planned doing so this year.

My responsibilities aren't much cos I stay in my family house. I do not spend up to 10k for tfare to work. I'm even saving 200k from my salary.

Saving up to japa for study will mean:

Suspending my marriage plans.
Leaving my good job and starting over in a strange land.
Putting my life on hold for about 7/8 years while there. Because give or take, I'll use 2/3 years to save up enough to take me there for study, 2 years masters then 2/3 years finding my feet, standing on my own, hustling for PR and finally getting married to my gf (that's if she'll even still be waiting for me).

My fear is what if things don't go according to plan? What if I get the degree and don't get PR status and they ask me to return to my country? And I end up coming back to Nigeria with only my degree. I'd have lost everything.

My gf is a good woman. Understanding. Spends on me and is so loving. She's been with me when I had nothing so I know she's not here for the money. I spoke to her about it and she asked me to pray for God's leading. I've prayed and still praying.

I had a dream where I was catching enough fishes. Big fishes. Then one fish jumped out and I left all the fishes to get back that one and all the fishes I'd previously caught all escaped.

Life is smiling at me now. Things are picking up. I just don't want to make the wrong move and end up loosing all.

Please I need advice.
Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by Mobog(m): 3:04pm On Jan 09, 2022
Jesus is the master teacher he'll teach you how to sort things. Do not consult anyone talk to your creature he'll listen!
Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by Lasisieniola77(m): 9:54am On Jan 10, 2022
Weigh your options. Talk to God for direction and also what are your long term goals. You japaing is not because of money but other benefits like security, good health care system, functional education system for your kids. With your years of experience, i think you will make it if you travel out of Nigeria.
LordVoldmort:
Hello everyone.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section. Mods please help move to the correct section.

Please I'm at a cross road. Here's a background to my story. I apologize for the length. I just need to have an unbiased advice.

I have been working in the financial industry as a contract staff and last year, I got converted to a full time staff. salary is a few thousands shy of 300k.

I'm a family oriented individual and plan on getting married before I hit 30. This has always been my plan. I also am a career focused and driven individual and I want to go back to school for my masters. I'm hungry for knowledge.

My company has a scheme where they sponsor you to do your masters in any school in the world and pay up to 80% provided it's online and you maintain certain appraisal levels.

Also, my company promotes every 2 years subject to satisfactory performance. They also pay huge bonus and profit sharing every year. They also review salaries upwards every year to reflect current economic realities. My next promotion will be next year with an approximate salary of a few thousands shy of 400k.

Now here's my problem.

I Intend giving my best to this company because believe me it's a great place to work with amazing people. I'm one of a few Nigerians who love their jobs and wake up everyday eager to go to work. The company rewards hardwork and there's prospect of moving to my most preferred department.

My problem is that my brother wants me to work for like 2-3 years, save up and japa to Canada via study route. I used to have the mindset of japa but now that things are looking a bit fair and life is picking up, the japa thoughts is doing me one Kain.

My bro says online degrees from foreign recognized institutions do not carry as much weight as when I'm over there studying.

My bro is doing well for himself. Married with kids and is about relocating this year to Canada with his family. His wife is a professional too.

I'm currently 27. I intend getting married before 30, settle down quickly and plan my future with my family early. I have a serious gf. We've known each other since our secondary school days and she's about to go for NYSC. She said she won't marry now until she's financially sound. She's 25. She's a really good fashion designer and a really smart and homely lady. We've had our fights too like every relationship but she ticks all my boxes in what I want In a woman. My brothers love her although I haven't introduced her to my parents yet. I planned doing so this year.

My responsibilities aren't much cos I stay in my family house. I do not spend up to 10k for tfare to work. I'm even saving 200k from my salary.

Saving up to japa for study will mean:

Suspending my marriage plans.
Leaving my good job and starting over in a strange land.
Putting my life on hold for about 7/8 years while there. Because give or take, I'll use 2/3 years to save up enough to take me there for study, 2 years masters then 2/3 years finding my feet, standing on my own, hustling for PR and finally getting married to my gf (that's if she'll even still be waiting for me).

My fear is what if things don't go according to plan? What if I get the degree and don't get PR status and they ask me to return to my country? And I end up coming back to Nigeria with only my degree. I'd have lost everything.

My gf is a good woman. Understanding. Spends on me and is so loving. She's been with me when I had nothing so I know she's not here for the money. I spoke to her about it and she asked me to pray for God's leading. I've prayed and still praying.

I had a dream where I was catching enough fishes. Big fishes. Then one fish jumped out and I left all the fishes to get back that one and all the fishes I'd previously caught all escaped.

Life is smiling at me now. Things are picking up. I just don't want to make the wrong move and end up loosing all.

Please I need advice.

1 Like

Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by bitbillionaire: 2:49pm On Jan 10, 2022
Where u wan japa go?
Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by arthurwillia(m): 7:00pm On Jan 10, 2022
God will guide you o
I think you are still comfortable because you live in a family house, when you have plenty responsibility sef e go choke
I was happy earning 150k before but now no be so life be oo
What’s the job security in your job?
Op my own is are you a chartered accountant?
Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by LordVoldmort(m): 8:28pm On Jan 10, 2022
arthurwillia:
God will guide you o
I think you are still comfortable because you live in a family house, when you have plenty responsibility sef e go choke
I was happy earning 150k before but now no be so life be oo
What’s the job security in your job?
Op my own is are you a chartered accountant?

There's job security.
I'm not a chartered accountant. I'm in corporate communications.
Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by arthurwillia(m): 8:55pm On Jan 10, 2022
LordVoldmort:

There's job security.
I'm not a chartered accountant. I'm in corporate communications.
Alright boss
If there’s job security
It’s still 250 not bad but not too good. That won’t bring generational wealth man.
Corporate communications, is that like IT?
Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by LordVoldmort(m): 9:58pm On Jan 10, 2022
arthurwillia:

Corporate communications, is that like IT?

Corporate Comms isn't like IT.

It's concerned with marketing and managing brand image to internal and external stakeholders (customers).
Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by arthurwillia(m): 10:03pm On Jan 10, 2022
LordVoldmort:

Corporate Comms isn't like IT.

It's concerned with marketing and managing brand image to internal and external stakeholders (customers).

Wow we learn everyday
Never heard of it
Tutor me
Can anyone be in corporate comms? Like in a health worker now, is it something I can do or you have to go to school for it and so on?
Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by LordVoldmort(m): 4:41am On Jan 11, 2022
arthurwillia:

Wow we learn everyday
Never heard of it
Tutor me
Can anyone be in corporate comms? Like in a health worker now, is it something I can do or you have to go to school for it and so on?

Anyone can be in corporate communications.
I didn't study anything communications. I learnt on the job. Now I plan going back to school to get a masters degree in that line so I can become a professional.

1 Like

Re: Pursue My Career Or Japa by arthurwillia(m): 7:08pm On Jan 11, 2022
LordVoldmort:

Anyone can be in corporate communications.
I didn't study anything communications. I learnt on the job. Now I plan going back to school to get a masters degree in that line so I can become a professional.

Wow that’s cool
Sorry for my numerous questions oo
So if I want to work in corporate communication now, where can I apply?

(1) (Reply)

Cac Business/brand Name Registration. / About Architectural Career / Top Money Managment Tips For The Career Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.