Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,350 members, 7,819,250 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. (1638 Views)

Nigeria Only Calendar Is From Jan To DEC. / 1964 Calendar Is Exactly The Same Thing With 2020 Calendar / 2019 Calendar Wallpaper One Page Free Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by techWriter3: 4:22pm On Jan 15, 2022

The Gregorian calendar was a very minor modification of the Julian calendar (named after Julio Caesar), which is was created and enforced by Pagans, decades before Jesus was born (Dimitrijevic, Theodossiou & Mantarakis, 2008). The addition to the Gregorian calendar was the precision that the average solar year is 365.2425 days long, instead of the 365.25 days claimed by the Julian calendar. The Julian calendar assumed incorrectly that the average solar year is exactly 365.25 days long, which was an overestimate of a little under one day per century.

The only “Christian” aspect of the calendar is its reference to the purported birth of Jesus Christ. That is, the calendar claims Jesus was born 2,022 years ago. However, according to the Ethiopians, Christ was born 2,015 years ago, instead of 2,022 that the Romans claim. Similarly, the Thai solar calendar references Buddhist Era instead of Jesus' birth. The common thing about these calendars is their reference to the revolution of the Earth around the Sun.

The Julian calendar was enforced by Julius Caesar (a Pagan) 45 years before the Roman Catholic claim of the birth of Jesus (Michels, 2015), and the Calender was designed Greek and Romans mathematicians and astronomers such as Sosigenes of Alexandria (Gajic, 2019).

On the other hand, the Islamic Calendar (Hijri Calendar) is based on the moon, not the sun like solar calendars. Further, the Hijri calendar is about eleven days shorter than than solar calendars, because each month begins with the first sighting of a lunar crescent (Raharto et al., 2019). This implies that the months of the Hijri calendar depends on the cloud cover or the brightness of the Sun, which is not scientific.

The biggest problem of the Islamic Calendar is that it cannot be used to predict the climate, which implies that it cannot be used for agriculture (Mughal, 2014). In the Arabia world, this is not a huge problem, because temperatures and the length days do not vary much from month to month. However, in the tropical monsoon climate of Southern Nigeria, it matters a lot. It for this reason that the climatic condition around Ileya (Eid-el-Kabir) varies each year, while that of Christmas and New Year is constant.

References
Dimitrijevic, M. S., Theodossiou, E. T., & Mantarakis, P. Z. (2008). Milutin Milankovic and the reform of the Julian Calendar in 1923. Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage, 11, 50-54. Available at: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/pdf/2008JAHH...11...50D.

Gajic, N. (2019). The curious case of the Milankovitch calendar. History of Geo-and Space Sciences, 10(2), 235-243. Available at: https://hgss.copernicus.org/articles/10/235/2019/.

Michels, A. K. (2015). Calendar of the Roman Republic. Princeton University Press. Available at: https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/9781400849789/pdf.

Mughal, M. A. Z. (2014). Calendars tell history: Social rhythm and social change in rural Pakistan. History and Anthropology, 25(5), 592-613. Available at: https://dro.dur.ac.uk/13842/1/13842.pdf.

Raharto, M., Sopwan, N., Hakim, M. I., & Sugianto, Y. (2019, March). New approach on study of new young crescent (Hilal) visibility and new month of Hijri calendar. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 1170, No. 1, p. 012080). IOP Publishing. Available at: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/1170/1/012080/pdf.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by SadiqBabaSani: 4:43pm On Jan 15, 2022
Go tell d Mischievous slavish Mumurish
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by techWriter3: 4:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
SadiqBabaSani:
Go tell d Mischievous slavish Mumurish

It is better we educate the public, before religious psychos take us back to the days of old.
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 4:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
Must be painful for you but reality is reality

Gregorian calendar start it's counting from B.C to A.D (christbirth) (year of our Lord Jesus Christ)

That you speak English as global language for example doesnt change the fact that the British own the language

2 Likes

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 4:51pm On Jan 15, 2022
P
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by tollyboy5(m): 4:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
Truthisunique:
Must be painful for you but reality is reality

Gregorian calendar start it's counting from B.C to A.D (christbirth) (year of our Lord Jesus Christ)

That you speak English as global language for example doesnt change the fact that the British own the language
Let me officiate your ignorance. cheesy

Before the Common Era (BCE).
Jesus birth and buddha birth are very similar.
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by ivolt: 4:56pm On Jan 15, 2022
This is not a new information.

However, religious extremists who believe that whatever is not Islamic must be christian related
wouldn't agree.

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:00pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

The Julian calendar and Gregorian calendar are two different calendar till today

The Catholic church since pope Gregory ascent had to define the line away from the Julian calendar of all Rome.

Julian calendar is not the same as Gregorian and the joke is on you when Julian doesn't agree with Gregorian till date

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:05pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

Before the Common Era (BCE).
Jesus birth and buddha birth are very similar.

let me educate your ignorance that BCE was only adopted in the 17 century "in an attempt to be all inclusive"
to a global audience that had now fallen in love with it.

It doesn't change the (B.C, A,D) which history records it was created for by origin.

It is an aberration to even call it common era because the world has never had a common era at 17th century

Calendars wasn't created in vacuum, they all had an era they took origin from

No such thing as common era, Gregorian calendar dates before 17th century so how does it account for years it's A.D, BC counted from

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by tollyboy5(m): 5:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
Truthisunique:
The Julian calendar and Gregorian calendar are two different calendar till today

The Catholic church since pope Gregory ascent had to define the line away from the Julian calendar of all Rome.

Julian calendar is not the same as Gregorian and the joke is on you when Julian doesn't agree with Gregorian till date
How does some hours modification makes it a christian calendar? Is it because it was pope?

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by realstars: 5:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
Jesus the light of the world. And with the said calender, Christmas has been celebrated all over the world, to let the world knows that christ is real.

only the antiChrist will not like this comment about Christ.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by tollyboy5(m): 5:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
realstars:
Jesus the light of the world. And with the said calender, Christmas has been celebrated all over the world, to let the world knows that christ is real.

only the antiChrist will not like this comment about Christ.
Jesus was not born during winter . Stay clear of ignorance and know the origin of christmas

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

How does some hours modification makes it a christian calendar? Is it because it was pope?
there is no such thing as hours modification, you don't create time so how do you add hours?

It's all the same day which some dedicate to their believes

If you go to some churches they tell you this is our year of grace, some say it's our year of uplifting, does it change it from been the same year and days?

By believe people work into that calendar based on what they programe it

It becomes Christian calendar if you say this calendar starts from the year Jesus was born

Does it mean there wasn't time before Jesus that you dedicated it to him?

It says A.D addonis addonis the year of our Lord Jesus Christ, already you have submitted yourself to Jesus lordship
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:12pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

Jesus was not born during winter . Stay clear of ignorance and know the origin of christmas
I know Christianity as the biggest religion in the world really turns your stomach

So turning facts on the head which collaborates how it got to this point is the alternate world you have chosen to live in

Jesus born in winter or summer doesn't change the fact that he existed and has his birth as a marking point calendar wise
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by tollyboy5(m): 5:23pm On Jan 15, 2022
Truthisunique:
let me educate your ignorance that BCE was only adopted in the 17 century "in an attempt to be all inclusive"
to a global audience that had now fallen in love with it.

It doesn't change the (B.C, A,D) which history records it was created for by origin.

It is an aberration to even call it common era because the world has never had a common era at 17th century
Religious bigotry is your problem here. First it was a pagan calendar based on astronomical calculations and christian made some scientific modifications to it.
Your bone of contention now is the insertion of 'before christ' which is now optional in today society.

Free your mind bro
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:24pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

Religious bigotry is your problem here. First it was a pagan calendar based on astronomical calculations and christian made some scientific modifications to it.
Your bone of contention now is the insertion of 'before christ' which is now optional in today society.

Free your mind bro
you are the one grasping at straws here, trying to call me a bigot to run from the fact you have been bursted even by facts and history

The Julian calendar is different from Gregorian calendar till today (A fact I have just bursted)

The Gregorian calendar didn't start counting from the 17th century (A fact well established as it starts counting from A.D, BC which is its origin root)

The origin of a calendar is the definition of a calendar (there was dates before Gregorian but Gregorian starts counts from the Christ era and you can't dispute this origin)

Pagan or not should not be your headache If those pagans that continued using Julian calendar till date saw Gregorian as Pagan they would have continued using it

They only stopped because this calendar was dedicated to a new diety i.e Jesus

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by realstars: 5:28pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

I know that, but the concept was to bring the people of the dark to the light.
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by tollyboy5(m): 5:30pm On Jan 15, 2022
Truthisunique:
I know Christianity as the biggest religion in the world really turns your stomach

So turning facts on the head which collaborates how it got to this point is the alternate world you have chosen to live in

Jesus born in winter or summer doesn't change the fact that he existed and has his birth as a marking point calendar wise
So if we decide to use mohammad as marking point makes it an islamic calendar ? cheesy
Religious people are just comedians
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:32pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

So if we decide to use mohammad as marking point makes it an islamic calendar ? cheesy
Religious people are just comedians
lf you weren't dull you would see that this is the point of all calendar, they don't operate on vacumm they take origin from a significant point because you can't really count time in vacumm

Yes Islamic calendar origin takes beginning from Mohammed flight from Medina which is what makes it an Islamic calendar

All calendar including Gregorian calendar have this

No such thing as common era in 17th century

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by tollyboy5(m): 5:32pm On Jan 15, 2022
realstars:
I know that, but the concept was to bring the people of the dark to the light.
It has no correlation on the origin of calendar which is what is been discussed here.
It was just used to separate events
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:38pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

It has no correlation on the origin of calendar which is what is been discussed here.
It was just used to separate events
you have proven yourself to be the one in the dark so far

Jews have their own calendar, jewsish calendar take origin from the date yaweh created the world

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by orisa37: 5:44pm On Jan 15, 2022
GOD IS GOOD AND A PNEUMATOLOGIST WHICH MEANS SCIENCE, ARTS AND RELIGIONS ARE LIGHTS, GOODNESS AND LIFE FROM HIM.
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:44pm On Jan 15, 2022
Advocatejare it seems these people have chosen televising history as another point to champion their pipe dream

Another one biting the dust here, same group that say the land of Israel existence start counting from when Palestine dwelled there as settlers

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by tollyboy5(m): 5:52pm On Jan 15, 2022
Truthisunique:
you are the one grasping at straws here, trying to call me a bigot to run from the fact you have been bursted even by facts and history

The Julian calendar is different from Gregorian calendar till today (A fact I have just bursted)
According to wikipedia is was modified and not changed so why the stress?
Modifications are mostly scientic to make things better. If it was actually changed that would have been another story

The Gregorian calendar didn't start counting from the 17th century (A fact well established as it starts counting from A.D, BC which is its origin root)
The julian calendar start counting from the reign of an empire which was later change to a more generally accepted time yardstick.
The supposed birth of christ which stand as a yard stick to separate events is not a thing to bother scientist and historians much.

The origin of a calendar is the definition of a calendar (there was dates before Gregorian but Gregorian starts counts from the Christ era and you can't dispute this origin)
The date before then were not one. The chinese had theirs, the julian date counts from the reign of an empire which causes more confusion
https://www.quora.com/Before-AD-what-did-people-of-the-BC-era-call-their-years-How-did-they-count-the-years-in-the-BC-era

Pagan or not should not be your headache If those pagans that continued using Julian calendar till date saw Gregorian as Pagan they would have continued using it

They only stopped because this calendar was dedicated to a new diety i.e Jesus

I can tell you for sure your making things up.
Its more like saying the international system units scientist use to day was dedicated to france.
Because the decision was made there lol.
Stop making allegations where there is none
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

According to wikipedia is was modified and not changed so why the stress?
Modifications are mostly scientic to make things better. If it was actually changed that would have been another story
Science doesn't create days, it only account for a better way of counting which is just modification of counting (fact)

Pope Gregory added a lunar year count to the year which makes it as much work as the so called scientists that didn't create days

Essentially this is a new calendar he created since you attribute creation to science

The julian calendar start counting from the reign of an empire which was later change to a more generally accepted time yardstick.
yeah this was what I was educating you on, that nobody creates calendar but they all take counting from an era that unites them significantly

The supposed birth of christ which stand as a yard stick to separate events is not a thing to bother scientist and historians much.
The foolishness here is that you just agreed that the Romans who "created" Julian calendar counted from the reign of their king's so why is Jesus own any different

The date before then were not one. The chinese had theirs, the julian date counts from the reign of an empire which causes more confusion
https://www.quora.com/Before-AD-what-did-people-of-the-BC-era-call-their-years-How-did-they-count-the-years-in-the-BC-era
yeah you just collaborated my point that there is nothing like a common era, so it's a fallacy as all calendar have a era unique only to their people not to all people

I can tell you for sure your making things up.
Its more like saying the international system units scientist use to day was dedicated to france.
Because the decision was made there lol.
Stop making allegations where there is none
The joke is on you,

Since you have no point before facts it's to conclude I am making things up to sooth your pain

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 5:55pm On Jan 15, 2022
O
I
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by tollyboy5(m): 5:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
Truthisunique:
lf you weren't dull you would see that this is the point of all calendar, they don't operate on vacumm they take origin from a significant point because you can't really count time in vacumm

Yes Islamic calendar origin takes beginning from Mohammed flight from Medina which is what makes it an Islamic calendar

All calendar including Gregorian calendar have this

No such thing as common era in 17th century
It has two names. Christian calendar like you will like to call it and western calendar like i use to refer it has.

Now why force your notion on me?
They even reference it as modification of julian calendar so what you chose to call it is just a matter of choice.

Islam calendar has was no modification of any previous calendar and has more islamic origin compare to the normal western calendar.
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 6:00pm On Jan 15, 2022
tollyboy5:

It has two names. Christian calendar like you will like to call it and western calendar like i use to refer it has.
what you refer to it as doesn't change the fact that the christians own it

Are you aware that the west were still the same christians, you want to call it global calendar but the joke is on you because unlike what pope Gregory did, the world never added anything different from this Christian calendar regarding change

The only change it added was the common era which is a contradiction because the world never had a common era even in the 17th century

So if you must follow the Gregorian calendar to its beginning you would realize it didn't start from 17th century but earlier from the pope Gregory era establishing its counting from the lordship of Jesus

Now why force your notion on me?
They even reference it as modification of julian calendar so what you chose to call it is just a matter of choice.
grin I am forcing nothing on you, you are the confused one that is too tormented by the reality of the calendar you use which prompted you to create a thread

I am only opening your eyes to that reality you are running from

When Pope Gregory created the calendar, it was a new one he even added lunar year to

Can you tell me what the gentiles added to the Gregorian calendar?

They didn't even change the name, they don't have anything different from pope Gregory own

Islam calendar has was no modification of any previous calendar and has more islamic origin compare to the normal western calendar.
grin what a joke

Do you know you are a clown?

Mohammed used the calendar of the pagan qurash or what calendar do you think he was using before his "prophethood"?

Every calendar uses a time predating it, they only change to accommodate their new rally point

1 Like

Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 6:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
O
Re: The Gregorian Calendar Is Not A “christian” Calendar. by Truthisunique: 6:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
U
K

(1) (2) (Reply)

If 100 Is Something To You.please Come Here / Kodak Easyshare M320 9.2mp Digital Camera With 2gb Memory Card / Welcome To Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.