Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,553 members, 7,823,440 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess (9841 Views)

Mtn Project Fame Update;princess And Rachel Evicted / The Princess And The Frog~~reviews! / Cutest Walt Disney Princess Or Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by WesleyanA(f): 7:58pm On Jul 30, 2007
the classic princess from snow white, sleeping beauty, beauty and the beast, to the little mermaid etc, are all white.
but we've had an asian mulan, middle eastern jasmine, native american pocahontas, so that's good.

but finally, a black disney princess!!  shocked
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17524865/
the movie is set to be released in 2009.

what do you guys think? do you feel that this is important? does it matter?
------

UPDATE: the movie has been out for a short while now since it's 2010 already.
if you've seen it, how was it any REVIEWS?
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by naijacutee(f): 8:23pm On Jul 30, 2007
Doesn't matter to me - Disney is just trying to promote their sales and I have nothing against that smiley
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by WesleyanA(f): 8:28pm On Jul 30, 2007
lol.
but no doubt their films play a HUGE role in our society.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by iice(f): 5:44am On Jul 31, 2007
Yup have read about that some while back
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by chuckdee4(m): 2:14pm On Jul 31, 2007
Who cares its just a cartoon, they should not bring race into cartoons now, cos no one really noticed that most princesses were white, quite frankly no one cares what colour they decide to make their prince's and princesses
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Seun(m): 8:12pm On Jul 31, 2007
Hmmm. Wasn't Mulan quite black? Why does the first black princess have to be a frog princess? angry
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by WesleyanA(f): 11:13pm On Aug 01, 2007
lol.
mulan is Asian. Chinese to be exact.

i think they've changed the name to "the princess and the frog" or something like that. i'm not exactly sure
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by WesleyanA(f): 11:19pm On Aug 01, 2007
because no one really noticed that most princesses were white, quite frankly no one cares what colour they decide to make their prince's and princesses

that's what you think.
but to be quite honest with you, people do pay mind, even if it is subconsciously.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by spoilt(f): 2:18am On Apr 04, 2008
who says no one noticed? quit playing. grin
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by tpia: 1:44am On Jun 27, 2008
Disney has cast every race except the black one in most of their Princess movies.

Its about time they had a black princess. The problem is can they portray her in a culturally sensitive way that wont antagonize or be offensive to blacks (or any race). The black princess will also have to be acceptable to non-blacks, ie someone they can identify with. Its a tricky situation, as they could loose money if they arent careful.

Even Tarzan (one of my favorite Disney movies by the way), was set in Africa but had white main characters. I don't have a problem with that though. The movie is good, whichever way you look at it.

The Lion King (another classic), also set in Africa, had no humans at all.

The list of Disney princesses so far:

Snow White - (white) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Cinderella - (white) Cinderella (1950)
Aurora (white)  Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Ariel ( white) The Little Mermaid (1989)
Belle  ( white)  Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Jasmine (Arab)  Aladdin (1992)
Pocahontas (American Indian) Pocahontas (1995)
Mulan (Asian/Chinese)

The movie title has been changed from The Frog princess to The Princess and the Frog.  I think this will also be the first time a black actress will feature as the main character in a Disney princess movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Tiana

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/planetgossip/detail/index.jsp?uuid=32acc85e-a531-4ba2-93d6-650ee3432d89#commentstart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Frog

come to think of it, there's never been a black prince either. Even Rodger & Hammerstein's Cinderella with Brandy as the princess, and Whitney Houston as the fairy godmother, had a Filipino prince, not a black one.  cool
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Seun(m): 8:55am On Jun 27, 2008
It's gonna be a flop. Whites won't be interested and blacks will be disgusted.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Mustay(m): 9:08am On Jun 27, 2008
Mulan is from Asia and this gal seems to be from NIGERIA cheesy

Seun:

It's going to be a flop. Whites won't be interested and blacks will be disgusted.

That's exactly what was said before the COSBYs show aired!
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by dre101(m): 12:46pm On Jun 27, 2008
Seun:

It's going to be a flop. Whites won't be interested and blacks will be disgusted.

Am sure it's not going to be as you've anticipated, let wait and see. cool
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by AKO1(m): 4:15pm On Jun 27, 2008
WesleyanA:

lol.
mulan is Asian. Chinese to be exact.

i think they've changed the name to "the princess and the frog" or something like that. i'm not exactly sure

And the movie was culturally suited accordingly.

'Blacks' could be culturally sub-divided into Western Blacks and African Blacks. Both societies have different cultures, obviously.

If the frog princess is going to be the main character, the story line and the setting is/are going to have to be adapted to either of these cultures. Otherwise it will be a waste of time and what Seun said will inevitably happen.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by tpia: 6:31pm On Jun 27, 2008
The setting is 1920s Louisiana.  The princess was originally cast as a maid, but later changed to a princess maybe after doing some market surveys.

The storyline will probably be African American, not directly African.

Louisiana has a rich culture anyway. So there should be plenty of themes and material to use.

I think the movie may appeal more to an African American audience, rather than an African one.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by TOH(f): 6:35pm On Jun 27, 2008
What does Louisiana have to do with a kingdom though?

If it's supposed to have a princess theme, it definitely SHOULD be situated in a country in Africa
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by naijadiva2(f): 6:36pm On Jun 27, 2008
tpia:

The setting is 1920s Louisiana.  The princess was originally cast as a maid, but later changed to a princess maybe after doing some market surveys.

The storyline will probably be African American, not directly African.

Louisiana has a rich culture anyway. So there should be plenty of themes and material to use.

I think the movie may appeal more to an African American audience, rather than an African one.

you're right. but something is telling me that when this movie comes out, it is not going to be big even among african amerians. and the africans aren't going to care too much.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by naijadiva2(f): 6:37pm On Jun 27, 2008
TOH:

What does Louisiana have to do with a kingdom though?

If it's supposed to have a princess theme, it definitely SHOULD be situated in a country in Africa

true but you have to think, if its an american film, most african americans are going to be pissed because its not about them.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by whiteroses(f): 5:35am On Nov 04, 2008
who cares about flipping six year olds fairytale, i always find it enjoyable even if they are as white as snow, does anyone really think of race when they are watching magical tale? but this frog princess shows respect though
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by MadMax1(f): 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2008
Race is very much an issue in the colour hodgepodge of America, and Disney knows that. The fact that they're introducing a black princess and it's news is very revealing. If race wasn't an issue they would have had a long tradition of black characters and no one would be batting an eyelid now. But they'll be having a black presido soon, and why not ride the new pro-all-things-Obama-so-most-things-black-are-in wave?

They've promoted the cuddly,lovable,singing,beautiful WHITE princes and princesses so most Disney fans are used to that and conditioned to accept white characters as flag bearers of Fairy Tales. That's why there are people on the thread who think a black princess'll flop. They're no used to the idea. Let's hope Disney does its homework and makes the princess irresistible.

It's bold (and frigging manipulative) of them to go black. Let's hope it works out o.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Seun(m): 5:17pm On Nov 05, 2008
A half-black, half-white character (Obama, Mulan) has the best chance of making it in the market. wink
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by tpia: 9:02pm On Nov 05, 2008
the prince will probably be white, Hispanic, Middle eastern or Asian.

that's what they did for Brandy in Cinderella.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by WesleyanA(f): 1:16am On Dec 18, 2008
wow i found this topic again. lol such a long time ago
well, update:

there is a short trailer on the disney site.
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/princessandthefrog/

what a good timing, . . with Obama's victory and all. . .
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by WesleyanA(f): 1:20am On Dec 18, 2008
tpia:

the prince's voice is a brazillian actor apparently. I wonder what he'll look like.
Seun:

A half-black, half-white character (Obama, Mulan) has the best chance of making it in the market. wink

America for you! I guess they don't want the movie to seem like a "black movie"
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Hardballer(m): 11:12pm On Dec 25, 2008
sure there will be some subliminal racism

Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by jimm1909: 12:59am On Apr 08, 2009
i think its great that they are branching out and representing their characters the same way society is represented.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 08, 2009
from the trailers, the movie has a very intense creole/cajun feel. Hope they throw in some appetizing food scenes for good measure. Catfish too.

is it just me or does there seem to be a strong anastasia feel to this film. Probably the louisiana effect.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 08, 2009
they changed her look to something more elegant

anyone notice anything about her hair and gown or do I have an overactive imagination?
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Nobody: 12:39am On Dec 09, 2009
And it has to be a frog? I'm just happy that it's not THE MONKEY PRINCESS
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by THEAMAKA1: 7:00am On Dec 09, 2009
YESSSSS!!! i was just thinking about this today.
FINALLY!!!
funny story:
you know how you can go to disneychannel . com and email your favorite characters?
WAY BACK WHEN, YEARS AGO
well i used to go and email hannah montana, raven, zack and cody, ect ect
i used to email then CUSSING THEM OUT!! talking about where are all the black shows going? taking off raven was the last straw for me!
i even complained that we have no black movies.
disney is watched by all ethnicities, why always whites and latinos that get appreciated?
i would email hannah, raven, ect ect. lol
and it was so funny, after sending it would say "THANKS FOR THE EMAIL!" lolol
i hope someone read it and took it into consideration.
but FINALLY!!!!! there is a movie for us.
damn, about time.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by THEAMAKA1: 7:03am On Dec 09, 2009
tpia:

Roger and Heminstein (however you spell that) are known for putting people of all races in movies, no matter what.
whoopi with her black self, the white guy as king, and an ASIAN BABY?!? lol
i used to love that movie but that never made sense.
the step sisters, one black and one white and the mom white?? and brandy's dad was black and just one came out all white? lolol
but they are known for doing that, using all races to play any character, even if it doesnt look right.
i actually like that.
love that movie till this day.

and FYI, the prince looked black from the previews.
Re: The Princess and The Frog: First Black Disney Princess by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 09, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

Roger and Heminstein (however you spell that) are known for putting people of all races in movies, no matter what.
whoopi with her black self, the white guy as king, and an ASIAN BABY?!? lol
i used to love that movie but that never made sense.
the step sisters, one black and one white and the mom white?? and brandy's dad was black and just one came out all white? lolol
but they are known for doing that, using all races to play any character, even if it doesnt look right.
i actually like that.
love that movie till this day.

There was a movie where Brandy was Cinderella?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is Your Favorite Nollywood Actor/actress / New TV Show: AY's Crib: / Some Of Our Wonderful Nollywood Stars That Have Died (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.