Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition (3624 Views)

Nigerians In The US Reject Bishop Ross Because He Believes In Homosexuality / Catholic Church Believes In Separation From Bed, Not Divorce - Father Oluoma / Freethinkers! How Did Your Self-awakening Start? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 22, 2022
Hello here, this is my first time of posting.
I'm not an atheist, I don't even know the best label to give myself but I don't really believe in the Christian nor Muslim God. I see the Bible as a book filled with wisdom and inspiring metaphors but I don't agree with everything in it. I absorb so much wisdom from great minds that have lived and still living... I'm a skeptic too.
Well, enough of the introduction.

Ever since I became a freethinker 4 years ago, there is a particular aspect that keeps bothering me. As a Nigerian living in Nigeria, it has not been easy thriving in a country that has so much superstitious beliefs (that I don't really agree with). My mother (a strong Christian) tells me so much about diabolical things that she has seen that people experience. I've heard of so many stories of people who experience some sort of spiritual attack in Nigeria. Our Nollywood movies are filled so much with such stuffs and you know, our movies reflect our way of life. You can't move from one state to the other in Nigeria without hearing about some 'jujuic' practice.

But I've always been skeptical (even before I became a freethinker when I came of age though) about these beliefs. And when I became a freethinker and started reading books, I started finding some hidden meanings behind these superstitious beliefs. For example, I read a book that talked about people of the ages who used to consult those called the 'shamans' that were believed to have inner husbands or wives for advice and the author was tryna teach that if people of the ages could tap into the power within us, we should start connecting with the masculine and feminine that is within all of us.... There are so many other examples.

But books can't do everything! I come here at nairaland to get some wisdom from nairalanders here who are freethinkers but it's not enough. Christians who are so much devoted to their beliefs do not maintain such beliefs just by reading the Bible and meditating, they also gather in the 'midst of the brethren' to strengthen their beliefs. Same with every other religion. But I have no physical 'brethren' to share my views and thoughts with and it hasn't been easy because I'm surrounded with Christians and superstitious believing people. I struggle so much tryna grasp this concept of evil spirits and other superstitious beliefs like that (which is the main purpose of this post).

I'm not dismissing these beliefs completely. As I wrote before, I'm a skeptic. Besides I've heard a lot, I still go to church (I still live with my mum) and you know, we're so much affected by our environment and the things we constantly hear. Again, I'm very much aware that there are certain things that are beyond us that we can never understand. But I know so much that many needs to be enlightened about certain things they believe in...

So you as a freethinker (whether atheist, agnostic, pantheist, deist, humanist or even Christian or Muslim who don't agree with everything you are being taught or exposed to!), how do you manage living in a country where there are so much superstitious beliefs around? If you don't believe in these things at all, can you give me reasons or proofs why you believe they don't exist (I'll appreciate proofs by experience more than knowledge from books)? If you're a skeptic, can you tell me how you thrive here?

Again, in matters of attaining success, it hasn't been easy for me though and I've been doing some personal work on my self but living in the midst of Christians (I told you mum is a strong Christian!) has been very frustrating for me because many of them begin to give some impressions that there's a spiritual attack or some sh*t like that while I know all that are nonsense.

I've not been able to express myself better in this post (I still dey learn English) but hope you get my question/post.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by doggedfighter(f): 12:19am On Jan 23, 2022
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Holla911(m): 12:42am On Jan 23, 2022
You claim to be a freethinker, what define you as a freethinker ? Lets start from there.
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by chatinent: 3:46am On Jan 23, 2022
I really don't understand you but one thing for sure I understand is you've made what you call freethinking a religion.
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by helinues: 4:59am On Jan 23, 2022
Best na to be introverted...

In that case, one would spend more time with himself without hearing all those superstition stories.

Imagine a lady telling me that Take care by Drake FT Rihanna na illuminati song? Well that statement alone caused her the relationship sha

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by HighWITCH: 11:43am On Jan 23, 2022
I'll try and elucidate on this a bit since you write quite intelligently.
Whether we be agnostic, deist, freethinker, apatheist or what have you, We must understand that just as we humans have evolved from tangible matter, other beings have also evolved from intangible planes.

Just as it took science some time to unravel concepts earlier thought to be spiritual (Lunacy, Schizophrenia, kleptomania, etc), science will in future demystify yet others now accepted as spiritual or superstitious.

The universe is made of energy and we can all interact with that energy when we understand how.
Do you know how premonition works?
Why does your mum feel strange when something bad is about to happen to you.
Why does mindset produce certain results?
Why do position thoughts produce positive outcome and vice versa? Same reason.
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 23, 2022
Holla911:
You claim to be a freethinker, what define you as a freethinker ? Lets start from there.

Lol I'm still in the process grin grin
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 23, 2022
helinues:
Best na to be introverted...

In that case, one would spend more time with himself without hearing all those superstition stories.

Imagine a lady telling me that Take care by Drake FT Rihanna na illuminati song? Well that statement alone caused her the relationship sha

It's not easy. I still live with my parents because of certain reasons and I'm being pressured to go to places I don't really want to go.

I utilize my alone time though and I also detach myself from people most times but it's being very lonely and depressing.

Your last sentence shows one of the sh*ts I constantly hear from people that freaks me. It's crazy.
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 23, 2022
HighWITCH:
I'll try and elucidate on this a bit since you write quite intelligently.
Whether we be agnostic, deist, freethinker, apatheist or what have you, We must understand that just as we humans have evolved from tangible matter, other beings have also evolved from intangible planes.

Just as it took science some time to unravel concepts earlier thought to be spiritual (Lunacy, Schizophrenia, kleptomania, etc), science will in future demystify yet others now accepted as spiritual or superstitious.

The universe is made of energy and we can all interact with that energy when we understand how.
Do you know how premonition works?
Why does your mum feel strange when something bad is about to happen to you.
Why does mindset produce certain results?
Why do position thoughts produce positive outcome and vice versa? Same reason.

Yea thanks for this.

I believe in intuition, gut, premonition, destiny, power of positive/negative thinking, etc... But I get freaked out when people try to connect all these to evil spirits, witches, wizards, juju, etc which is the best explanation those of the primitive ages used to explain events that they experience until the arrival of science.

I trust my mother's judgements most times but I'm very much uncomfortable with the connection with religion and diabolism.

2 Likes

Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Holla911(m): 12:49pm On Jan 23, 2022
AuthenticKing:

Lol I'm still in the process grin grin

Do you subscribe to the "believe" concept ?

Modified: I see you subscribe to the concept of believe.
I stand to tell you there's nothing like a freethinker. The word "free" is an illusion. Nothing in the universe is free.
The universe exit on a principle of two energies (+ or - . light and dark. Good and bad ). Everything in the universe evolved from either of this two distinctive energies.
There is always an inverse to whatever you believe in.
As there is life so is death. As there is morning so is night, as there is good so is bad.
Humans exist from this concept.
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 23, 2022
Holla911:

Do you subscribe to the "believe" concept ?

Modified: I see you subscribe to the concept of believe.
I stand to tell you there's nothing like a freethinker. The word "free" is an illusion. Nothing in the universe is free.
The universe exit on a principle of two energies (+ or - . light and dark. Good and bad ). Everything in the universe evolved from either of this two distinctive energies.
There is always an inverse to whatever you believe in.
As there is life so is death. As there is morning so is night, as there is good so is bad.
Humans exist from this concept.

Thanks for your opinion.

But I really wanna know... What is 'good and light' and what is 'bad and darkness'? Can you give me some known examples of beliefs that are good and bad?

Modified: Again, you said the word 'free' is an illusion'... Are you trying to imply that all the 'free' choices we make are either 'good or bad' probably with 'good or bad' consequences? So in addition to the question above, what is the definition of 'freedom' in your opinion?

And where did you get your concept that everything in the universe evolved from 'good and bad' energies?
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jan 23, 2022
AuthenticKing:
I'm not an atheist, I don't even know the best label to give myself but I don't really believe in the Christian nor Muslim God. I see the Bible as a book filled with wisdom and inspiring metaphors but I don't agree with everything in it. I absorb so much wisdom from great minds that have lived and still living... I'm a skeptic too.

Ever since I became a freethinker 4 years ago, there is a particular aspect that keeps bothering me. As a Nigerian living in Nigeria, it has not been easy thriving in a country that has so much superstitious beliefs (that I don't really agree with). My mother (a strong Christian) tells me so much about diabolical things that she has seen that people experience. I've heard of so many stories of people who experience some sort of spiritual attack in Nigeria. Our Nollywood movies are filled so much with such stuffs and you know, our movies reflect our way of life. You can't move from one state to the other in Nigeria without hearing about some 'jujuic' practice.

But I've always been skeptical (even before I became a freethinker when I came of age though) about these beliefs. And when I became a freethinker and started reading books, I started finding some hidden meanings behind these superstitious beliefs. For example, I read a book that talked about people of the ages who used to consult those called the 'shamans' that were believed to have inner husbands or wives for advice and the author was tryna teach that if people of the ages could tap into the power within us, we should start connecting with the masculine and feminine that is within all of us.... There are so many other examples.

But books can't do everything! I come here at nairaland to get some wisdom from nairalanders here who are freethinkers but it's not enough. Christians who are so much devoted to their beliefs do not maintain such beliefs just by reading the Bible and meditating, they also gather in the 'midst of the brethren' to strengthen their beliefs. Same with every other religion. But I have no physical 'brethren' to share my views and thoughts with and it hasn't been easy because I'm surrounded with Christians and superstitious believing people. I struggle so much tryna grasp this concept of evil spirits and other superstitious beliefs like that (which is the main purpose of this post).

I'm not dismissing these beliefs completely. As I wrote before, I'm a skeptic. Besides I've heard a lot, I still go to church (I still live with my mum) and you know, we're so much affected by our environment and the things we constantly hear. Again, I'm very much aware that there are certain things that are beyond us that we can never understand. But I know so much that many needs to be enlightened about certain things they believe in...

So you as a freethinker (whether atheist, agnostic, pantheist, deist, humanist or even Christian or Muslim who don't agree with everything you are being taught or exposed to!), how do you manage living in a country where there are so much superstitious beliefs around? If you don't believe in these things at all, can you give me reasons or proofs why you believe they don't exist (I'll appreciate proofs by experience more than knowledge from books)? If you're a skeptic, can you tell me how you thrive here?

Again, in matters of attaining success, it hasn't been easy for me though and I've been doing some personal work on my self but living in the midst of Christians (I told you mum is a strong Christian!) has been very frustrating for me because many of them begin to give some impressions that there's a spiritual attack or some sh*t like that while I know all that are nonsense.

I've not been able to express myself better in this post (I still dey learn English) but hope you get my question/post.

Life doesn't make sense
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 24, 2022
Crystyano:

Life doesn't make sense

What do you mean by 'life doesn't make sense?'
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by LordReed(m): 12:59pm On Jan 24, 2022
AuthenticKing:

If you are a skeptic by what means have you validated these beliefs to believe that there is something to them other than being metaphorical?
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by LordReed(m): 1:46pm On Jan 24, 2022
AuthenticKing:

I ignore superstitious beliefs since they have no impact in my life.

I don't believe them because they have not been shown to have any truth or reality to them.

As a skeptic I focus on that which is real and has sufficient evidence to act on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by DeepSight(m): 7:00pm On Jan 24, 2022
LordReed:

As a skeptic I focus on that which is real and has sufficient evidence to act on.

Life is way more complex than this approach takes on board.
Even reaching a determination of what is "real" is a tricky affair.
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by LordReed(m): 9:02pm On Jan 24, 2022
DeepSight:

Life is way more complex than this approach takes on board.
Even reaching a determination of what is "real" is a tricky affair.

For what is necessary for living that determination is absolutely essential.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by DeepSight(m): 9:22pm On Jan 24, 2022
LordReed:

For what is necessary for living that determination is absolutely essential.

There is a phrase I sometimes use and it is "our suppositional reality" - it basically refers to our presumed reality. I use it to distinguish between what we must necessarily suppose or presume to be real in order to get on with our daily lives (this is what I believe you refer to) as opposed to whatever may in fact be real, simulated or hallucinated.

Because beyond Cogito ergo sum, I am not sure there is much a human can know to be real.
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 24, 2022
LordReed:

If you are a skeptic by what means have you validated these beliefs to believe that there is something to them other than being metaphorical?

If you read my former replies, you must have read where I wrote that I believe in intuition, gut, premonition, etc. This basic knowledge is what native doctors, juju masters, spiritualists, pastors!, etc use to confuse people. They connect all these to manipulations by evil spirits, witches and wizards, etc. I read all these in books and it helps me find loopholes whenever a superstitious believer narrates these stories to me.

I agree with you that these beliefs are metaphorical but there are much extreme stories I hear that make me a skeptic.
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 24, 2022
LordReed:

I ignore superstitious beliefs since they have no impact in my life.

I don't believe them because they have not been shown to have any truth or reality to them.

It's easy for you to say this probably because you are very much advanced in knowledge.

I'm still learning and being in the midst of superstitious believers makes it very hard for me. As I wrote in the post, we're constantly affected by things we constantly hear.
It's being very hard to take this superstitious beliefs for what they are...

What suggestions/advice can you give to a struggling freethinker who wants to achieve success?

Meanwhile I've been waiting for your reply, thanks so much grin
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by LordReed(m): 6:34am On Jan 25, 2022
AuthenticKing:

It's easy for you to say this probably because you are very much advanced in knowledge.

I'm still learning and being in the midst of superstitious believers makes it very hard for me. As I wrote in the post, we're constantly affected by things we constantly hear.
It's being very hard to take this superstitious beliefs for what they are...

What suggestions/advice can you give to a struggling freethinker who wants to achieve success?

Meanwhile I've been waiting for your reply, thanks so much grin

It's not about being advanced in knowledge. The skeptic asks "how can I ascertain that this is true?", if you have this attitude about everything you'll find superstitions easy to ignore.

I also live with Christians who believe in all these tales of spirits and evil powers but with this attitude I am able to show that many of their concerns are unfounded.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by LordReed(m): 7:39am On Jan 25, 2022
AuthenticKing:

If you read my former replies, you must have read where I wrote that I believe in intuition, gut, premonition, etc. This basic knowledge is what native doctors, juju masters, spiritualists, pastors!, etc use to confuse people. They connect all these to manipulations by evil spirits, witches and wizards, etc. I read all these in books and it helps me find loopholes whenever a superstitious believer narrates these stories to me.

I agree with you that these beliefs are metaphorical but there are much extreme stories I hear that make me a skeptic.

You aren't properly applying your skepticism if a story makes you inclined to belief before you have explored the truth of it. The first thing a skeptic should do upon hearing a story is ask how can I verify it, if you start with belief you end up with religion.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:48am On Jan 25, 2022
There's nothing like FREETHINKERS because we humans are influenced by things we see, hear or feel.
Our feelings controls only 10% of what we do while the remaining 90% is based on what we see and hear. Before anyone can claim to be a real freethinker his actions must depend on 99% of his feelings not things he heard or saw others doing! smiley
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by LordReed(m): 8:10am On Jan 25, 2022
DeepSight:

There is a phrase I sometimes use and it is "our suppositional reality" - it basically refers to our presumed reality. I use it to distinguish between what we must necessarily suppose or presume to be real in order to get on with our daily lives (this is what I believe you refer to) as opposed to whatever may in fact be real, simulated or hallucinated.

Because beyond Cogito ergo sum, I am not sure there is much a human can know to be real.

Our forebears in the wilderness didn't have the luxury of contemplating "suppositional reality", they had to determine if those waving grasses was a predator or not, that was the reality they need to determine and if they determined wrong they were going to be some beast's lunch. My attitude is not much different from them, I need to live and so must determine the things that are real for my continued existence. The luxury of contemplating "suppositional reality" only comes when I have assured my continued existence (for awhile at least).

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by TammieJo(f): 12:40pm On Jan 25, 2022
AuthenticKing:

So you as a freethinker (whether atheist, agnostic, pantheist, deist, humanist or even Christian or Muslim who don't agree with everything you are being taught or exposed to!), how do you manage living in a country where there are so much superstitious beliefs around?
It's not all doom and gloom for us UK skeptics. England isn't really that much of a religious country although we have plenty of part timers who pretend to be religious.

AuthenticKing:
If you don't believe in these things at all, can you give me reasons or proofs why you believe they don't exist (I'll appreciate proofs by experience more than knowledge from books)? If you're a skeptic, can you tell me how you thrive here?
Why would anyone need to give you a reason for not accepting ridiculous claims?
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by Niflheim(m): 1:18pm On Jan 25, 2022
You said you are feeling alone in a world filled with superstitious people.

You might want to join a Facebook or WhatsApp Group for Nigerian skeptics, maybe that will make you feel a bit better.

You also asked for "proof", that juju is not real!!!

Proof exists only in the realm of logic, mathematics and ogogoro!!! What you should be asking for is "EVIDENCE"!!!
Re: Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition by DeepSight(m): 3:34pm On Jan 25, 2022
LordReed:

Our forebears in the wilderness didn't have the luxury of contemplating "suppositional reality", they had to determine if those waving grasses was a predator or not, that was the reality they need to determine and if they determined wrong they were going to be some beast's lunch. My attitude is not much different from them, I need to live and so must determine the things that are real for my continued existence. The luxury of contemplating "suppositional reality" only comes when I have assured my continued existence (for awhile at least).

While I cannot for all practical purposes find any quarrel with what you say, with those persons for whom the search for the meaning of life is a foundational object of the said life itself, such questions cannot be avoided. Sadly for me, I fall into this melancholy and probably Sisyphean category.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

God Did Not Create The Universe / Atheist Sees Miracle In Fuel Scarcity, Gets Confused! / Seven Book Of Moses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.