Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,541 members, 7,850,843 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:55 AM

Nsude Pyramids: A Forgotten Historical Edifice Built By Ancient Igbos - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nsude Pyramids: A Forgotten Historical Edifice Built By Ancient Igbos (3005 Views)

Nsude Pyramids: A Forgotten Historical Structures Built By Ancient Igbos / How A Teacher Flogged & Injured My Cousin At Nsude Seminary School (Graphic) / UNESCO Appoints Dr Ifeyinwa Nsude Into Scientific Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Nsude Pyramids: A Forgotten Historical Edifice Built By Ancient Igbos by DougW: 7:52am On Sep 10, 2023
Continuing to research to make sure I haven't missed anything I found a 1921 source about what may be similar pyramids.
"In the neighbourhood of Ngwo, Nsude and Agbaja Owa in the Udi Division, at intervals, the people construct quaint circular pyramids. Clay is used for the purpose. The bases are about sixty feet in circumference and two to three feet in height. Then another section is laid about forty-five feet in circumference and so on until the pinnacle is reached. They are erected to the honour of “ Ala ” and to indicate ownership of land.
Two rows of five are built parallel to one another which means that “ Ala ” gives children with the right hand and the left. The god (or goddess) dwells in the pinnacle and, thus, is in a position to detect any person committing evil. Such a person will be caught by the god and secured with shackles ; these are represented by small sticks inserted in the clay near the tops of the pyramids."[https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Among_the_Ibos_of_Nigeria/hKssBgAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1] P.109 This is the book ''Among the Ibos of Nigeria An Account of the Curious & Interesting Habits, customs, & Beliefs of a Little Known African People by One who Has for Many Years Lived Amongst Them on Close & Intimate Terms''. 1921

This doesn't of course contradict my source above, just shows that these are earlier. We can't know how often these eroded and were replaced.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Futyola, Now Mautech Resumption Date Announced. / Top 16 Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria. / Unn Pharmacy Building Under Construction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.