Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,103 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! (5624 Views)

Are Nigerian Car Dealers In The Usa Fraustrated Already ? / Car Dealers In Abuja / Used Car Dealers Around Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by autoplus: 7:11pm On Jun 21, 2011
I BECAME VICTIM OF THIS LAST WEEK FRIDAY. THE TEXT CAME IN AFTER BANK HOUR ABOUT 4:45P.M THANK GOD I COMFIRMED MY ACCOUNT BALANCE OTHERWISE THEY WOULD HAVE GONE WITH MY TOKUNBO HIGHLANDER JEEP. PLS DEAR CO-DEALERS BEWARE OF THIS NEW TREND. GOD BLESS ALL!!
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Fhemmmy: 7:32pm On Jun 21, 2011
Waoh . . . Thanks for this great warning . . . . This should be a sticky for a while
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by dantitiki(m): 8:14pm On Jun 21, 2011
Why not post the content and the sender of this SMS so everyone would understand what the CAVEAT is.

Kind regards.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Fogman(m): 8:25pm On Jun 21, 2011
To be fore warned, is to be fore armed! Chikena!!!
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Fhemmmy: 8:25pm On Jun 21, 2011
dantitiki:

Why not post the content and the sender of this SMS so everyone would understand what the CAVEAT is.

Kind regards.

Well said, at least we would be able to know what to look for . . . .
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by jpworld(m): 9:51pm On Jun 21, 2011
More Details pls,
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by fm7070: 9:08am On Jun 22, 2011
a word is enough for the wise
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Fogman(m): 10:12am On Jun 22, 2011
Who have ear, let him hear!
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by viperman: 11:00am On Jun 22, 2011
These yahoo-yahoo boys/men are becoming Hi-Tech by the day grin
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by ufumes(m): 11:37am On Jun 22, 2011
This warning should be taken seriously by everyone not just car dealers. One only way to prevent falling victim is by keeping your account balance only to yourself. When someone knows your account balance, the person can deceive you into believing he/she has paid into your account. Alternatively verify transactions by checking up your balance via ATM
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 22, 2011
viperman:

These yahoo-yahoo boys/men are becoming Hi-Tech by the day  grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Gsmxpert(m): 11:40am On Jun 22, 2011
using a personalised bulk sms site, scammers can write something like this

sender   ECOBANK

Transction id 4522120001

unit id 52300

deposit

N6 000 000 deposit in your account no xxxxxxxxx

deposited by xxxxxxxx

same in your bank format, tell me you wont fall.  a cruk asked me to do this for him some time agao, never knew why but refused, now i know
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by atasteve: 12:08pm On Jun 22, 2011
I have done 2 separate transactions with people using bank transfer.

The reason why people do that is because of the risk associated with carrying money all around the city.

What I told people that I have bought vehicles from in the time past is for us to go to their banks together and they either withdraw the money or they speak with their account office for their balance.

NO MATTER THE TYPE OF TRANSFER INVOLVED, YOU MUST GET TO YOUR BANK AND CONFIRM.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by deeflamez(m): 1:11pm On Jun 22, 2011
A normal alert is supposed to show you your previous balance/amount deposited/current balance, so unless the crook knows your previous balance,it shouldnt work on you. . .like this

Credit Alert
AcctNo: 12357532356xxx
Amnt: 50,000.00
Details/Depositor: 12134/CDP by Mark Smith
Balance: 75,876.21
Time:09-Apr-2010       13:34:32

So please dont fall easily for that trash if your current balance aint displayed. Nevertheless, confirm from the bank, either by yourself or an account officer if you have one,  wink
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Odunnu: 3:10pm On Jun 22, 2011
I'm getting wiser. Thanx for the tip.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by sirp2007: 3:25pm On Jun 22, 2011
the only way out is to confirm from ur bank, fraudsters can adapt any bank message format and use it 2 defraud unsuspecting citizen.its been happening 4 some time now,hence Zenithbank of recent design a means where u can re-confirm thru sms.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by frenchman2: 3:41pm On Jun 22, 2011
hope our banks are reading this thread
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by shawonlese: 4:01pm On Jun 22, 2011
Something similar was published in one of the newspapers a while ago. Same tactics.

According to the trader, the conman approached the trader that he wanted to buy lots of cartons of beer. The trader was very happy as she had never made that much sale in one go.

After negotiations, the conman collected the woman's bank account number telling her he was going to the bank to make payment. About an hour later the woman got a transaction alert on her mobile phone for the amount negotiated N1.5m. At the same time, the conman sent a truck to the trader's store to clear the goods.

Happy for the sale, the trader proceeded to her bank on Monday morning, and that was when she discovered that she had been duped.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Demdem(m): 4:45pm On Jun 22, 2011
^^^^^ You are right. It's been in vogue for sometime now.
One's best bet now is to go directly to the bank to confirm jare.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by eros(m): 5:40pm On Jun 22, 2011
Naija, the land of con-artists. Thanks for the tip.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Busols757: 6:20pm On Jun 22, 2011
thanks 4 thes info wink
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by calculusx(m): 6:28pm On Jun 22, 2011
Nigerian scammers, i hail thee. These con artist seems to have an insider in almost every Bank in Nigeria that will confirm one's account balance and with the use of bulk sms,they will send you a credit alert showing your account balance. My wife almost fall {she eventually fell for the scam cos she was duped of 5,000 Naira recharge card which she loaded on her phone and was told to enter a code and the 5k credit vanished to GOD knows where} for a similar scam and alert was sent to her phone showing her bank name and account balance. Please lets wize up and confirm every transaction from our Banks,ATM or Account officer.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by ayusman16(m): 6:36pm On Jun 22, 2011
It is just a cheap trick. Thought notifications normally add up with d money paid in? D question is how will they know ur current balance?
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by aquita(m): 6:45pm On Jun 22, 2011
A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by calculusx(m): 7:05pm On Jun 22, 2011
ayusman16:

It is just a cheap trick. Thought notifications normally add up with d money paid in? D question is how will they know your current balance?

Forget abt been smart, anyone can fall for this trick xcept if you are aware such thing is going round. Consider yourself been offered your asking price without the con-artist bargaining for it and you have no ATM for your account. They can even provide a real teller as evidence of payment. What will you do? Lets beware
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 22, 2011
Any samples of these fake transaction alerts? Just so dealers and buyers know what to look out for.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by pannyman(m): 7:30pm On Jun 22, 2011
The veracity of an SMS alert should be easy to verify. Once it's received you go online and log in to view your account balance on the website of the bank. Also you should receive an email alert as well.
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Busols757: 7:46pm On Jun 22, 2011
^^ grammer grammer, grammer no be my language kiss
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by calculusx(m): 8:29pm On Jun 22, 2011
Siena:

Any samples of these fake transaction alerts? Just so dealers and buyers know what to look out for.

Will check if she still have the text msg on her phone but i doubt it cos the texts reminds her of that BAD DAY she taught she won a Jackpot. lol cry
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by shakers(m): 9:53pm On Jun 22, 2011
they used that alert stuff the steal a crvof about 3.3m from some car dealer that i know, their alert will never show your new account balance that how to know the fake alert,
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 22, 2011
angry angry why the panic, its a simple equation, when you get an alert please make sure the alert states your current account balance. i bet the scammers can't get your current balance grin grin, so you will know its a straight red flag, so be careful guys  wink
Re: Car Dealers Beware Of Fake Transaction Alert! by ayusman16(m): 10:19pm On Jun 22, 2011
It beat me how someone will fall for such crap without seeing ur total balance? Except of course in d instances where someone thinks he had gotten a very good deal and is eager to conclude d deal, Na Naija we dey. We need to be sharp at all times.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For A Clean Mercedes Benz W123 230ce (regular Or Flat Boot Coupe) / Reg 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited / 2007 Model Toyota Rav4 Toks Full Option Limited Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.