Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,312 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value (18583 Views)

UEL Group Stage Draw: Arsenal Vs Frankfurt, Man Utd Face Astana / Hazard Officially Leaves Chelseafc / Champions League: How Ronaldo Reacted After Juventus Loss To Man Utd (2) (3) (4)

Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 02, 2022
ED WOODWARD has officially stepped down as Manchester United executive vice-chairman after nine years.

The club confirmed he would leave in 2021 but his stint ended on January 31 with Richard Arnold taking over at midnight.

Woodward, 50, joined the Old Trafford boardroom team back in 2005 after playing a key role in the Glazer family's takeover.
And he took on the role as executive vice-chairman when David Gill stepped down as CEO in 2013.

In that time, Woodward trebled the value of the Red Devils. United were worth around £800million in 2005 and latest calculations totalled a staggering £2.4billion.

On top of that, retail, merchandising and licensing earned United £130m in 2013.
By 2020, the last commercial year pre-pandemic, that figure was £279m.
Last year it was still £232m despite a season behind closed doors.

But despite the commercial success, on the pitch things have not gone quite to plan.
Since Woodward took over as the main man, which coincided with Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement, United have won just three trophies.

David Moyes' tenure failed, Louis van Gaal won an FA Cup but was axed after just two seasons, Jose Mourinho won a League Cup and the Europa League in 2017 before three barren years under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

In that time, there have also been plenty of poor transfer decisions with the likes of Marouane Fellaini, Angel Di Maria, Memphis Depay, Fred, Harry Maguire and others failing to justify their hefty fees.

Woodward endured a strained relationship with the fans and came under heavy fire for signing up to the breakaway European Super League last year. “I will treasure the memories from my time at Old Trafford”

Unlike the Glazers, he was actually against the idea and ultimately quit in the fallout from the failed division.

Announcing his exit, Woodward said: "I am extremely proud to have served United and it has been an honour to work for the world’s greatest football club for the past 16 years.
“The club is well positioned for the future and it will be difficult to walk away at the end of the year.

“I will treasure the memories from my time at Old Trafford, during a period when we won the Europa League, the FA Cup and the EFL Cup.
"I am proud of the regeneration of the club’s culture and our return to the Manchester United way of playing.

"We have invested more than £1bn in the squad during my time here and I am particularly delighted with the progress the players have made under the astute leadership of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his coaching team in the last two years."

He said: “I am honoured to have the chance to serve this great club and its fans. I am determined to return that honour in any way I can.”

Joel Glazer, executive co-chairman, said: “I would like to thank Ed for his tireless work on behalf of Manchester United during his nine years as executive vice-chairman and 16 years with the club.

"We are now looking forward to Richard and his leadership team opening a new phase in the club’s evolution, with ambitious plans for investment in Old Trafford, the strengthening of our engagement with fans, and continued drive towards our most important objective – winning on the pitch.”

Woodward will officially leave Manchester United in April this year.

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17513069/ed-woodward-officially-leaves-man-utd-role/

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Nobody: 7:18am On Feb 02, 2022
he failed to deliver at least a EPL title to your name let's see how Arnold's reign will be

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by DickDastardly(m): 7:19am On Feb 02, 2022
And reducing them to nothing on the pitch. He launched the downhill spiral ... away with him already!!

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Nobody: 7:38am On Feb 02, 2022
Money is not the answers or solution to every thing u tripled the value of the club and let's be honest tripled their misery

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by kokkubabboni421(m): 2:13pm On Feb 02, 2022
K
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Dredu: 2:14pm On Feb 02, 2022
Fi ally

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by pode(m): 2:14pm On Feb 02, 2022
Hallelujah to man united
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by posty56: 2:14pm On Feb 02, 2022
tripled, the club value but couldn't triple their trophy cabinet, signs overrated players expensively, still gives them huge weekly wage .

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by famousroland(m): 2:14pm On Feb 02, 2022
This one finished Manchester United kpatakpata

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by careytommy37(m): 2:14pm On Feb 02, 2022
Eleribu Ed angry

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by N2B2: 2:15pm On Feb 02, 2022
I hope thunder tickled his blokos on the way out.

Admittedly, Woodward had the hands for money-making, but those same hands oversee some of the worst seasons in United's modern history.

It's a shame Ole wasn't sacked earlier. The damage he caused the club will take a while and a proper manager to fix. I was happy to see United dispose of some of the riffraff during the January transfer window.

I hope the rest of the thrash in our squad is sold at the end of the season.

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Fisiryorh(m): 2:15pm On Feb 02, 2022
How this info take make economy beta??...
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by kayuseful: 2:16pm On Feb 02, 2022
Congrats in order to Man Utd fans
Now you will win the league and every cup in the world

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Oysters(m): 2:16pm On Feb 02, 2022
probably the worst football person to run a modern football club in recent memory. but give the man his flowers when it comes to handling the money issues; Woodward is fvcking GOD!!! shocked shocked

let's see what Arnold will do

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by EMAXIM(m): 2:16pm On Feb 02, 2022
He won the champions league, 5 premier leagues cup, 2 FA cups, Europa league etc.
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by money121(m): 2:17pm On Feb 02, 2022
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by blamingthedevil: 2:17pm On Feb 02, 2022
So you are saying other clubs remained stagnant?
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by GreatAxeMan: 2:17pm On Feb 02, 2022
grin Manchester United's value is in winning trophies and being competitive domestically and continentaly.

We don't need Woodward or even the Glazers to generate income. Generation of wealth is part and parcel of our DNA.

FAREWELL TO THE FAILURE CALLED WOODWARD. FEEL FREE TO GO AND RUIN SOME OTHER CLUB THE SAME WAY YOU RUINED US
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by chukwuibuipob: 2:18pm On Feb 02, 2022
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Misteel(f): 2:19pm On Feb 02, 2022
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by SecretReporter(f): 2:19pm On Feb 02, 2022
Everybody is leaving the club
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Simeony007(m): 2:20pm On Feb 02, 2022
Does that mean Man United will win EPL next season?

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 02, 2022
I never liked him or the Americans anyway. He actually made Man utd an uninspiring side and was just about the money.

Oh well, that made his stint not entirely uneventful.

GGMU
GLORY!

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by Misteel(f): 2:21pm On Feb 02, 2022
centry01:
Do you want to beautify your commercial /residential building with a selection of best interior design, look no further as we provide you with with an incomparable design for your residence or commercial purpose , just choose your style and we will handle the rest.ranging from ;

Fabrication of Stainless steel / aluminium handrails
Shower cubicles and glass partitioning
Furniture making
Glass balcony
Painting
Fabrication of consoles , centre table and side tables ..........e.t.c

We also provide payment on delivery plans for our Stainless Steel / Aluminium Handrails Accessories for clients in Lagos.
We are based in lagos but can work in any part of Nigeria

We offer free consultation
contact us on 0.8.1.3.7.2.7.3.4.5.6 to visit our store

Your satisfaction is our concern.
Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by abobote: 2:27pm On Feb 02, 2022
Overdue. The investment banker should go back to financial industry and leave football for sportsmen

Re: Ed Woodward Officially LEAVES Man Utd Role After Tripling Club Value by BuyAndSellStuff: 2:37pm On Feb 02, 2022
Oysters:
probably the worst football person to run a modern football club in recent memory. but give the man his flowers when it comes to handling the money issues; Woodward is fvcking GOD!!! shocked shocked

let's see what Arnold will do

Nigerian expert.

He tripled the club's value in 17 years. How many club CEOs in the world could do that?

So many Board of Directors will be looking for him right now and you are here typing ignorant rubbish.
You think this is bet9ja abi

Chelsea Vs Southampton (0 - 0) On 2nd January 2019 / Champions League Draw On 20th December 2012 / Manchester United Vs Liverpool (0 - 0) On 24th February 2019