Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,476 members, 7,830,392 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. (39687 Views)

Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? / Bald Head Man Rocking Dreadlocks Shows Off Swag (photos) / Natural Hot Dreadlocks Look (brother Locks And Sister Lock) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Arry110(m): 9:00pm On Feb 02, 2022
Op pls I don’t get
You said dye should be in the hair for 2 months
Does it mean you should cut your dyed hair after 2 months
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Sultty(m): 9:02pm On Feb 02, 2022
Wetin concern me with dreadlocks wey hair don bald finish

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Feb 02, 2022
VEXT:

I keep afro !!!
That's great! smiley
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Feb 02, 2022
Sultty:
Wetin concern me with dreadlocks wey hair don bald finish
Pele...
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Slurity(m): 9:04pm On Feb 02, 2022
JoesmartNwaSoiL:
Very classy, attractive and easy to maintain, dreadlocks is the New trend!

Though the hair style has been around for centuries, people wearing them for varieties of reasons. Some for religious purposes, some for traditional beliefs, the list is endless.

Down here in Nigeria, it has become a force to reckon with in the fashion world and beyond. with every youth clamoring for one, some already rocking the boat, lol.

While I can't always help but admire the beauty and neatness of some locs, a lot of people are getting it wrong!

The other day I was in a tricycle heading for an appointment but couldn't wait till I reach my destination before I got off. why? because I couldn't breath, the guy beside me had smelly locs!

So that brings us back to the headline. with my over five years of experience as a hair loctician / doctor (preferably, lol) I will be giving you some insightful tips, the dos and don't in keeping your locs clean and healthy.

• A lot of people believe that washing their locs everyday keeps it clean, but that's harmful rather. it will only leave you with a damp hair which in turn leads to breakage in most cases. Two times weekly is enough for keeping your hair clean. Any more than that, you're on your own!

• Don't leave your locs in braids for too long, it weakens your scalp and might lead to soreness or baldness when continuously done for a long time, ever wondered why rema had to get a cut?

• This one is very inadvisable but helplessly rampant. If you must tint or color your hair, it should be done only once, yearly and the dye should be in your hair for as long as two months. any longer than that, you're on your own!

• Always cover your hair when in Dusty environments and before going to bed. covering your locs has benefits, which includes keeping them warm.

• Though dreadlocks, a style is less expensive and gives room for DIY, you should get yourself a hair consultant or a professional loctician (emphasis laid) it helps! you should have someone to talk to more often about the health of your locs.

• You should relock and treat your your locs at least once monthly, twice if you're part of those who like their scalp shiny always. And that should only be done by a professional as emphasized above.

• You can wash your hair with mild shampoos, avoid those ones with much chemicals, Virgin hair mentholated ones are ok. No conditioning!
You forgot to mention that wearing loc is a silent way of saying you are not responsible if you are a man, only women can wear it without you becoming suspect of crimes by Nigeria police. If police ask you to come down for search out of many people in a bus, just know that its because of your hair style of black lips of a smoker

7 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by laughitall(m): 9:08pm On Feb 02, 2022
Pavicx:
Besides dreadlocks, can someone please recommend a cream or way for a man to style his hair a bit.
This sun is not good for the black man hair, share some tips and guild lines here.
Fast way to get sporting waves or curls if necessary.

I'll really appreciate, thank you.
always cover your hair anytime you want to sleep .. then get sofine anti dandruff hair cream .. thank me later

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by kumulus(m): 9:14pm On Feb 02, 2022
Enny2013:
Dreadlocks make one look irresponsible to me. I naturally dread men on Dreadlocks.

That's why it's called dread undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by BLoomfrancs(m): 9:19pm On Feb 02, 2022
Enny2013:
Dreadlocks make one look irresponsible to me. I naturally dread men on Dreadlocks.

We do not care.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Antoeni(m): 9:26pm On Feb 02, 2022
Anytime I see Guys Wearing Dreadlocks, Tatoo , I assume they are either Yahoo guys, THIEVES, Ritualist ,weed smokers or All of the Above.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by 3idiots: 9:28pm On Feb 02, 2022
JoesmartNwaSoiL:

Though the hair style has been around for centuries, people wearing them for varieties of reasons. Some for religious purposes, some for traditional beliefs, the list is endless.

Down here in Nigeria, it has become a force to reckon with in the fashion world and beyond. with every youth clamoring for one, some already rocking the boat, lol.

While I can't always help but admire the beauty and neatness of some locs, a lot of people are getting it wrong!

The other day I was in a tricycle heading for an appointment but couldn't wait till I reach my destination before I got off. why? because I couldn't breath, the guy beside me had smelly locs!

So that brings us back to the headline. with my over five years of experience as a hair loctician / doctor (preferably, lol) I will be giving you some insightful tips, the dos and don't in keeping your locs clean and healthy.

• A lot of people believe that washing their locs everyday keeps it clean, but that's harmful rather. it will only leave you with a damp hair which in turn leads to breakage in most cases. Two times weekly is enough for keeping your hair clean. Any more than that, you're on your own!

• Don't leave your locs in braids for too long, it weakens your scalp and might lead to soreness or baldness when continuously done for a long time, ever wondered why rema had to get a cut?

• This one is very inadvisable but helplessly rampant. If you must tint or color your hair, it should be done only once, yearly and the dye should be in your hair for as long as two months. any longer than that, you're on your own!

• Always cover your hair when in Dusty environments and before going to bed. covering your locs has benefits, which includes keeping them warm.

• Though dreadlocks, a style is less expensive and gives room for DIY, you should get yourself a hair consultant or a professional loctician (emphasis laid) it helps! you should have someone to talk to more often about the health of your locs.

• You should relock and treat your your locs at least once monthly, twice if you're part of those who like their scalp shiny always. And that should only be done by a professional as emphasized above.

• You can wash your hair with mild shampoos, avoid those ones with much chemicals, Virgin hair mentholated ones are ok. No conditioning!

Boss, I need your advice pls, I already messed up. I got to used keeping my hair very black which means I dyed it often, now eh! My God! If I just shove my hand through my hair, everywhere will be full of hairs. Infact, my once fine hair is messed up, it was my barber that started the dye stuff, I never like dye bfor. Is there anything I can do?? Pls.
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Blacc1: 9:30pm On Feb 02, 2022
\

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Ten06(m): 9:31pm On Feb 02, 2022
Have you seen a whiteman with dreadlock?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Elidrisy20: 9:33pm On Feb 02, 2022
Must of the guys with dread are criminals

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 9:35pm On Feb 02, 2022
Enny2013:

Coming from someone that wears fake hair...
well newsflash... we don't even care ..

meanwhile, my dreadlocks is too clean nd well braided.. I visit the salon twice a month to wash nd restyle it..

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by SportsHD: 9:39pm On Feb 02, 2022
CrownOfClay724:
SARS favourite customers.

"Wetin sars hate pass na tattoo and deadlock".
Erigga
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Olam09(m): 9:42pm On Feb 02, 2022
JoesmartNwaSoiL:

I don't like locks.. it's irritating..

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 02, 2022
I don't really like this dreadlocks of a thing angry >:

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Ayt27(m): 9:44pm On Feb 02, 2022
JoesmartNwaSoiL:
enough for keeping your hair clean. !

I am currently growing out my locs recently had it locked, I don't look irresponsible, there's that awkward stage in the beginning where your hair doesn't look like it knows what it's doing but in time it levels up.

My stylist told me no water on the hair at all, so I try not to allow water touch it. I use the Hollywood Beeswax cream and it does a good job, I think.

It's the full locs and to have them relocked again will take a full day, the first time was painful enough.

I'm excited though, it looks good on me, but it's going to take a long time too.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Olam09(m): 9:47pm On Feb 02, 2022
Datboredberry:
Stop spewing sh**

With proper maintenance, locks make a black man look like a black man!!! undecided

Y'all cut off your hair and end up looking hideous... Keep an afro atleast...

Black men are ugly without hair... Honestly...

Don't assume all women have poor taste...

Well you just said the truth..

I have full afro hair and ladies find it attractive on me well shaped, neat and well combed.. but to be sincere i don't like dreadlocks that are too thick, brown and discolored.
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Lavisha(f): 9:55pm On Feb 02, 2022
VEXT:
grin grin
This is the King!
King of werays

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by rawe45: 10:00pm On Feb 02, 2022
3idiots:

Boss, I need your advice pls, I already messed up. I got to used keeping my hair very black which means I dyed it often, now eh! My God! If I just shove my hand through my hair, everywhere will be full of hairs. Infact, my once fine hair is messed up, it was my barber that started the dye stuff, I never like dye bfor. Is there anything I can do?? Pls.

Maybe the dye is bad. All I want to know is if there’s a curling hair cream o.
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Brownshoe: 10:06pm On Feb 02, 2022
IboHausaYoruba:
I was born with natural dread, my parents didn't see any reason to keep those stuffs on my head and I really appreciate what they did. Honestly i myself would have cut them off growing up, nothing is cool about dread, so disgusting.
they did some ritual to cut that dread, says the people.
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Gate050: 10:07pm On Feb 02, 2022
Datboredberry:
Stop spewing sh**

With proper maintenance, locks make a black man look like a black man!!! undecided

Y'all cut off your hair and end up looking hideous... Keep an afro atleast...

Don't assume all women have poor taste...

Tell your brothers and men in your family to do something on the ugliness running in your family ok

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 02, 2022
Gate050:

Tell your brothers and men in your family to do something on the ugliness running in your family ok
Did I offend you? Grow a pair!

If I'm fuçking you, I need something to grab unto! Not your bald head... It's gross

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by princewarri1985: 10:12pm On Feb 02, 2022
I had dread locks for 3 years now and i agreed with everything you said here, but watching your locks twice a week? Thats a no no for me because i wont be able to sleep at night if i dont wash my locks at least twice a day, that makes it clean and neat, but washing your locks twice a week is the main reason it smells and i know what am saying! Dreadlock is bae and i advice every guy out there to keep one because our fore fathers keep dread locks

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by SugarGirl44(f): 10:18pm On Feb 02, 2022
I find dreads attractive.
Those of you badmouthing it either don't have the money to maintain it or you're bald.
Or simply say it's not your preference, but saying it's ungentlemanly because the white man has defined that term for you doesn't make any sense.
Wonder when Africans would be proud of their own for once.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Kccheechy(m): 10:22pm On Feb 02, 2022
princewarri1985:
I had dread locks for 3 years now and i agreed with everything you said here, but watching your locks twice a week? Thats a no no for me because i wont be able to sleep at night if i dont wash my locks at least twice a day, that makes it clean and neat, but washing your locks twice a week is the main reason it smells and i know what am saying! Dreadlock is bae and i advice every guy out there to keep one because our fore fathers keep dread locks
See advice: I should start keeping dreadlocks just because our forefathers kept dreads. Mtcheeeww. Low cut all the way for me Abeg. That feeling of water running From my read down to my body when taking my bath, is so refreshing. The cold water cools my brain.. I can’t imagine having my bath without pouring water on my head. Impossible.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by SugarGirl44(f): 10:22pm On Feb 02, 2022
Olam09:

I don't like locks.. it's irritating..
What's irritating in it?
Maybe you attend a white garment church and you're referring to those dada children there.
Dreads get level huncle, abi na hanty you be.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 02, 2022
If you must keep dread, please ensure you have the money to maintain it. Many of you look like mad men, dirty, discoloured, smelly, with a poor fashion sense, reason why people now see dread keepers as irresponsible.

Ever since I started keeping dread, the respect I've been getting have been on a whole new level, and no security operative have ever stopped me for whatever reason.

You can look responsible even with dread.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by OllyArt(m): 10:44pm On Feb 02, 2022
solofresh:
I actually don't see any thing bad in dreadlocks.The problem is lice and dandruffs
And sarz

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by tollyboy5(m): 10:45pm On Feb 02, 2022
donjazet:
Dreds are ugly. It's easier to just maintain low cuts as a gentleman. Dreds makes one look uncultured.
Believe me . You look uglier with extremes low cut. Afro makes black beautiful.
Re: Why You Should Not Keep Dreadlocks If You're Not Ready: The Dos And Don'ts. by IamRegal: 10:46pm On Feb 02, 2022
@op Can you do something similar for guys that wear their hair long, how to maintain and keep it healthy. Cos I will love to wear mine long soon, corn row.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top5 Wrist Watches Expensive Than Any Car / Nigerian Instagram Accounts To Kickstart Your Business Online Presence / Makeup Artist Ruins Lady's Wedding Photos, Gets Called Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.