Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,532 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa (3070 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 7:11pm On Jun 23, 2011
Hi All,
I need to take my daughter to Nigeria from but I can't seem to find the correct site so that I can get her a Nigerian visa
Can someone pls point me in the right direction
Cheers
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by noblegas2(m): 7:26pm On Jun 23, 2011
Where do you live?
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 7:32pm On Jun 23, 2011
I live in the UK
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by noblegas2(m): 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2011
http://www.nhcuk.org/

This might be of help to you!
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 9:53am On Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for the Info Noble gas!
However the link and the website address returned nothing at all. It seems the site doesn't work
Thanks all the same.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by claremont(m): 10:13am On Jun 24, 2011
owugiri:

Thanks for the Info Noble gas!
However the link and the website address returned nothing at all. It seems the site doesn't work
Thanks all the same.
If the website link does not work, google the "Nigerian High Commission, London" and go there physically. They are in charge of issuing Nigerian visas, simples!!!
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 8:25pm On Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for the Info,
I know I can go there physically, but I was told that I have to pay
for the visa online via the website and then bring the proff of payment and documents
in order to get the visa. It is this website that I cant find inorder to pay for the visa online.
Thanks for your help all the same!
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by Gemma11: 9:23pm On Jul 04, 2011
HI

I am also having the same issue. Can't find where I need to pay for the visa as the website appears to lead to a dead end. I was told they don't take cash at the embassy and so I am reluctant to turn up there without proof that I have paid.

Please help!!

How much is the visa anyway? I was told $144 plus a £20 processing fee. Then as well as completing the form online I have to also download the form, fill that in as well and they submit that to the embassy, sounds very complicated, long winded and very expensive.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 04, 2011
Last time I got a Nigerian visa (2009) it was N70 + N20 processing fee.

The website was flaky even then. You pay the visa fee via Postal Order, and the processing fee by credit / debit card. There's a Post Office located about 5 minutes walk away, just tell the cashiers what the postal order's for, and the amount. They know who to make them out to.

Good luck
!
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by tEsLim(m): 9:59am On Jul 05, 2011
Yeah and now you should pay $80 expedite fee if you need it fast because its summer it could take upto 3 to 4 weeks. I just got 6month multiple entry for GF
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 2:52pm On Jul 05, 2011
I went to the nig high commission and had to use the business center located within.
It cost £2 per hour to fill in the application online and 40pence per printed copy.
I then paid 23 pounds for the £20 postal order at the business center.
I was told to come after 3 workin days for the visa but when I got there I was told to get a consent letter from my husband showing that i am going to travel with my daughter. I ask why i needed it since i was also travelling with my husband (who was standing there with me). the lady refused to budge. so my husband wrote the letter there and then. She then said it has to be notorized.
My husband and I got very frustrated but she was enjoying it.
Bottom line is that we have given up with the visa. We will travel to Nigeria without the visa and take it from there.
Owugiri
BTW the website I used at the business center was http://www.immigration.gov.ng/
there is a 'apply online' link at the top right hand corner.
Owugiri
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by omega25red(m): 3:09pm On Jul 05, 2011
Funny how our people get frustrated when they are told to follow a simple rule.
you should have just gone back to the business center to get the document notarized and that would end your dealings with the woman but you got frustrated and now you want to risk entering the country without a visa. soon you will be back here complaining of people treating you badly in Nigeria or how they demanded bribes.
Any way sha good luck
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by dellnet: 3:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
@owugiri, how old is your daughter, what passport are you and your spouse holding?
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 05, 2011
owugiri:

I went to the nig high commission and had to use the business center located within.
It cost £2 per hour to fill in the application online and 40pence per printed copy.
I then paid 23 pounds for the £20 postal order at the business center.
I was told to come after 3 workin days for the visa but when I got there I was told to get a consent letter from my husband showing that i am going to travel with my daughter. I ask why i needed it since i was also travelling with my husband (who was standing there with me). the lady refused to budge. so my husband wrote the letter there and then. She then said it has to be notorized.
My husband and I got very frustrated but she was enjoying it.
Bottom line is that we have given up with the visa. We will travel to Nigeria without the visa and take it from there.
Owugiri

From what I gather, your daughter is a British subject, holding a British passport only.

How will she be able to travel to Nigeria without a Nigerian visa? I know they make you jump through hoops with the process, but is it wise to attempt travelling without getting the visa? The last thing you want, is to be denied entry to Nigeria, because your daughter doesn't have a Nigerian visa or passport.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 05, 2011
omega25red:

Funny how our people get frustrated when they are told to follow a simple rule.
you should have just gone back to the business center to get the document notarized and that would end your dealings with the woman but you got frustrated and now you want to risk entering the country without a visa. soon you will be back here complaining of people treating you badly in Nigeria or how they demanded bribes.
Any way sha good luck

I agree she shouldn't attemp travelling to Nigeria, if her daughter doesn't have a valid visa, or Nigerian passport. It's asking for trouble.

However, there's nothing simple about the process of obtaining a Nigerian visa in London. I've been through the process twice, and it's anything but simple. The officials make things more complicated than they should be. The details on the website too doesn't correlate with what you're told when you get there. I've even printed out details from the website, that's in direct conflict with what you're told by the staff, and they simply brush things aside.

I think the staff need to be trained better, and the website needs a serious overhaul. Links that lead nowhere can be frustrating.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by tEsLim(m): 3:25pm On Jul 05, 2011
I dont think any airline will let your daughter board as I think there is a $2.5k fine for any airline that lets passenger board without appropriate visa for destination.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 3:38pm On Jul 05, 2011
My Husband and I hold both British and Nigerian passports. it is the same with the rest of my kids. we normally present the british passport at heathrow before we board and then present the Nigerian one when we get to Nigeria. I had applied for a Nigerian Passport for my daughter but the nigerian embassy said that I have to present a local government document. The Local Government refused to give my daughter a certificate because she was not present in Nigeria (and right they were!)
That was why we decided to go for the visa.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by willy2011(m): 6:18pm On Jul 05, 2011
The website is working check over again http://www.immigration.gov.ng
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by willy2011(m): 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2011
Please, don't ever try coming to Nigeria without the proper document.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 11:25am On Jul 06, 2011
@Willy2011, you wrote 'Please, don't ever try coming to Nigeria without the proper document'

but right now I have no choice. They can imprison me but as long as I reach the shores of Nigeria then I am OK.
After all people go to other countries without the correct documentation and the worse that can happen is deportation or imprisionment.
I am ready to face the music. all I want to do is go to Nigeria!
When I get there I will explain and show them all the documentation that I have. I might be lucky and they will issue a temporary visa on the spot.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by Zhedoga: 3:21pm On Jul 06, 2011
wat is she comin to naija for? this will know me to tell u how easy u can a VISA for ur daughter. c.zhedogafirstname@yahoo.com
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by willy2011(m): 5:37pm On Jul 06, 2011
Your faith will deliver you.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 06, 2011
Zhedoga:

wat is she comin to naija for? this will know me to tell u how easy u can a VISA for your daughter. c.zhedogafirstname@yahoo.com

If you have any helpful advice, please post it here!
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by dellnet: 5:23am On Jul 07, 2011
@owugiri, if you really can't go back to the high commission why don't you go to another embassy closer to you and get the permit. I know with both parents Nigerians and she is coming with the parents assuming she is a toddler with some sort of proof of relationship to you she could probably get in after some checks etc, but with the current security situation in the country it is a big risk you are taking and an unwise move.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by EuroMeko(m): 5:54am On Jul 07, 2011
Lady, get the visa. I wager you won't even be allowed on the plane.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 9:59am On Jul 07, 2011
@EuroMeko, What makes you think I won't be able to board the plane? Heathrow airport officials dont care what passport you are holding as long as you leave the shores of the Uk.
They can't stop me from using a British passport with no Nigerian visa.
They will only be concerned if I show up without a ticket!
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 10:03am On Jul 07, 2011
The problem starts only when I get to Nigeria and fail to show a Nigerian entry Visa.
I am praying that they will stamp it when I get there.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 07, 2011
owugiri:

The problem starts only when I get to Nigeria and fail to show a Nigerian entry Visa.
I am praying that they will stamp it when I get there.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Isn't the visa worth the hassle to at least know you won't have entry issues with your daughter? I agree, the hoops you have to jump through are myriad, but that's life. Unless there's some other reason you don't want to get your daughter a valid visa?

I don't get it.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by owugiri: 1:27pm On Jul 07, 2011
I want to get my daughter the visa but the Nigerian Embassy are making things impossible. They said we should notarize a consent letter but our lawyer said that you can't notarize a consent letter unless the person who wrote it is absent.
We went ahead and got it notarized but the embassy said that it has to be done at a court. The courts are saying the same thing that one doesn't have to notarize a consent letter unless the writer is absent. The courts refused to notarize it.
So tell me now what exactly do I do?
Nigerian embassy wants a notarized consent letter when I and my husband are both travelling with my daughter. They refused to take a notarized letter from a laywer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 07, 2011
owugiri:

I want to get my daughter the visa but the Nigerian Embassy are making things impossible. They said we should notarize a consent letter but our lawyer said that you can't notarize a consent letter unless the person who wrote it is absent.
We went ahead and got it notarized but the embassy said that it has to be done at a court. The courts are saying the same thing that one doesn't have to notarize a consent letter unless the writer is absent. The courts refused to notarize it.
So tell me now what exactly do I do?
Nigerian embassy wants a notarized consent letter when I and my husband are both travelling with my daughter. They refused to take a notarized letter from a laywer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In view of what you've posted, I can understand your frustration.

Is it possible for you to apply for a Nigerian passport for your daughter then? I'm not sure how much time you have, before you travel.
Re: How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa by EuroMeko(m): 2:24pm On Jul 07, 2011
owugiri:

@EuroMeko, What makes you think I won't be able to board the plane? Heathrow airport officials dont care what passport you are holding as long as you leave the shores of the Uk.
They can't stop me from using a British passport with no Nigerian visa.
They will only be concerned if I show up without a ticket!

This is based on personal and direct experience and specifically at Heathrow.

The airlines refused to allow my Nieces to board the flight to Nigeria because their American Passport was not stamped with a Nigerian Visa. They had to run around London for an extra two days to get a Visa. This was in 2003 or so. Things might have changed.

Someone else on this thread has also said the same thing.

Listen, when I applied for my passport renewal here in the states I downloaded the renewal form from the Washington Office filled it out, included the Money Order for $65 as stated clearly on their form and send it to them. They promptly returned the whole shebang unprocessed and stated that they do not renew passports there, I wasted $40 in shipping. So the website was wrong.

I called the Atlanta Office, they said send it to them and include a $45 money order. When I asked to clarify since the form said $65, the Lady flew off the handle and basically screamed at me while asking me how I dare question her. I was calm, see I needed her help, so I swallowed my pride (Fela - everybody get him power everywhere - lol). Renewed Passport arrived in less than a week.

So moral of the story, when dealing with our country, you need to appeal to human nature, you're not the first person to take their child home. Speak to the Embassy as a collaborator and I think you'll get much more ahed. You;re dealing with a 3rd world country even though the office is in a 1st world country.

Best of luck on your travels.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Owing Money In The Uk? / Why Are Nigerians Ladies In Canada Always Bitter? / Goodbye Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.