Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,599 members, 7,955,209 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:38 PM

Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers (19365 Views)

FG’s Mortgage Scheme Kicked Off With First Set Of 10,000 Houses / Cheap Houses For Sale In Agege New Oko Oba Rd from N6m. Check It Out... / Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon – Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by aloyemeka1: 9:27pm On Jun 23, 2011
[size=14pt]Nigerians to own houses for N1.5m soon - Developers[/size]

Stanley Opara

Nigerians will soon be able to own houses for as low as N1.5m in the next one or two years, an investigation by our correspondent has shown.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jun/23/punch/images/pix20110314138973[1].jpg[/img]
Bungalows at Heaven's Gate Estate, Lekki, Lagos

At the moment, the average cost of owning a three-bedroom home in the country is about N5m, excluding the cost of land.

However, our correspondent gathered that key players in the real estate industry and some foreign investors were about to revolutionise housing construction through a partnership aimed at reducing the cost of building homes.

The partnership will focus on the application of cheap contemporary building materials and technologies that will make housing affordable for the low and medium income earners.

The anticipated crash in the cost of constructing the houses, our correspondent gathered, was informed by the relative cheapness of the materials that would be used, especially recycled plastic wastes.

The Real Estate Developers Association of Nigeria and the Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute are jointly researching into affordable housing production with quality locally sourced materials.

Confirming the development, the National President, REDAN, Chief Olabode Afolayan, told our correspondent that the materials to be used would cost far less than the existing materials, hence, the reason for the relatively low prices of the houses to be constructed.

"We are currently experimenting, and in the next one or two years, the prices of these houses will fall to about N1.5m. REDAN has just signed a Memorandum of Understanding with NBRRI, and the institute is doing a lot of research for us. In no time, this will take off," he said.

According to Afolayan, the recycled plastic wastes will be used to produce Polyvinyl Chloride sheets for construction, as well as PVC pipes for water distribution, conduit facilities and tiles, among others.

He said because of the rising cost of building materials, REDAN was now fully committed to using recycled products, especially plastic, as cheap and safe alternative building materials.

"By our model, any plastic can be recycled for this purpose," Afolayan said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110623028782
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by buzugee(m): 9:33pm On Jun 23, 2011
thats good news for nigerians. however how feasible is this ? those houses look nice by the way. are those the 1.5m houses ?
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2011
real estate companies and buisness men will buy them for 1.5 million and sell them for 5 million to the people ,who is fooling who
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Jun 23, 2011
^^^^ LOL

WOW . . . what the heck kind of buildings be that one? We no dey leave this colonial design back in the past where it really belongs? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by ezeagu(m): 10:58pm On Jun 23, 2011
Uhm, please don't insult the creative architecture of the former dear masters, the British. Nigeria's abominations, called architecture, has nothing to do with Britain.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by buzugee(m): 11:08pm On Jun 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Uhm, please don't insult the creative architecture of the former dear masters, the British. Nigeria's abominations, called architecture, has nothing to do with Britain.
are you saying those houses are crap ?
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by tpia5: 11:12pm On Jun 23, 2011
ezeagu:

nigerian architecture ranks among the best in the world, imo.

and this isnt an invitation for any jobless buffoon to start posting pictures of slums and rundown areas in nigeria.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Onlytruth(m): 11:15pm On Jun 23, 2011
One word is my watchword here:

[size=18pt]SAFETY.[/size]

Are these safe and biodegradable? What would be the environmental impacts of MILLIONS of these houses on our fragile ecosystem? Remember that no one is looking out for us in that area.
FEPA is doing sh&*t while the rate of cancer is going up.

Make we shine our eyes well well for dis one o! undecided
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jun 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^^ LOL

WOW . . . what the heck kind of buildings be that one? We no dey leave this colonial design back in the past where it really belongs?  shocked shocked shocked shocked

Seriously, I get tired of ugly looking buildings Nigeria has. This 4 walls square looking houses, no special designs.

Based on some homes I've seen on Nollywood *cough*, some home architects are trying sha. But only the rich and privilege can afford those houses, I assume.

I'd be more worried about maintenance of all sorts tho.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by buzugee(m): 11:18pm On Jun 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

One word is my watchword here:

[size=18pt]SAFETY.[/size]

Are these safe and biodegradable? What would be the environmental impacts of MILLIONS of these houses on our fragile ecosystem? Remember that no one is looking out for us in that area.
FEPA is doing sh&*t while the rate of cancer is going up.

Make we shine our eyes well well for dis one o! undecided
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by buzugee(m): 11:21pm On Jun 23, 2011
either nigerians are extremely ostentatious or i have bad taste but i think those houses are beautiful. whats wrong with them ? yall crazy.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by ezeagu(m): 11:24pm On Jun 23, 2011
buzugee:

are you saying those houses are crap ?

Compared to the quality of other houses around the world, it's okay.

tpia@:

nigerian architecture ranks among the best in the world, imo.

How?
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by tpia5: 11:25pm On Jun 23, 2011
^^you wouldnt be asking why if you were familiar with nigerian architecture.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jun 23, 2011
buzugee:

either nigerians are extremely ostentatious or i have bad taste but i think those houses are beautiful. whats wrong with them ? yall crazy.

Not talking about the one in that picture. Even those ones are  just there. Those are the late 1990s early 2000s design . Stop copying the western world and think of your own designs. While we're just beginning to copy, WWs are thinking of new, modern architectural designs.

Which reminds me, Nigeria should pass a law about community maintenance which will deal with color choice, clean environment etc.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Onlytruth(m): 11:53pm On Jun 23, 2011
In western world, plastics are disposed carefully by dumping them in sealed landfills (landfills which are built to guard against seepage into the underground water), delicate stuff. Plastic contamination can lead to serious health issues including infertility and birth defects.
Who will conduct and monitor the environmental impacts of MILLIONS of plastic based houses built directly into our ground without insulation.

My point is I hope these plastics won't contaminate the environment. Once that is ensured, no probs. But I know naija! undecided
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by buzugee(m): 11:56pm On Jun 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

In western world, plastics are disposed carefully by dumping them in sealed landfills (landfills which are built to guard against seepage into the underground water), delicate stuff. Plastic contamination can lead to serious health issues including infertility and birth defects.
Who will conduct and monitor the environmental impacts of MILLIONS of plastic based houses built directly into our ground without insulation.

My point is I hope these plastics won't contaminate the environment. Once that is ensured, no probs. But I know naija! undecided
i hear ya. cancer no dey affect naija man. we dey eat too much lycopene in tomato

Ileke-IdI:

Not talking about the one in that picture. Even those ones are  just there. Those are the late 1990s early 2000s design . Stop copying the western world and think of your own designs. While we're just beginning to copy, WWs are thinking of new, modern architectural designs.

Which reminds me, Nigeria should pass a law about community maintenance which will deal with color choice, clean environment etc.
you are spoilt. i will gladly live in those houses.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 23, 2011
Onlytruth:

^^^ what does that have to do with anything?

What about the open landfils we have in every square inch in naija? Those are posing more health danger, imo.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nobody: 12:00am On Jun 24, 2011
buzugee:

i hear ya. cancer no dey affect naija man. we dey eat too much lycopene in tomato
you are spoilt. i will gladly live in those houses.

It has nothing to do with being spoilt, which I definitely was  not.

Nigerians dont know how to design anything, its in the blood. I.E go thru any Nigerian-owned website and you'll see how unprofessional/unsophisticated they look.

except for bella naija, she dey try small.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by aloyemeka1: 12:04am On Jun 24, 2011
buzugee:

Looks good to me too.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by ezeagu(m): 12:27am On Jun 24, 2011
tpia@:

^^you wouldnt be asking why if you were familiar with nigerian architecture.

Okay, I'm not familiar, do you have an example of Nigerian architecture?
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by EkoIle1: 12:47am On Jun 24, 2011
The fact that they are even looking in to cheaper and alternative methods of home constructions is very commendable, because I don't see the current price for cement dropping anytime soon or as any kind of panacea ti our housing problems.

Even our roads should be built with cement/concrete and not asphalt because of rain and other cement er tropic conditions, but till they get rid of the current corrupt monopoly via DANGOTE and others in the cement industry, we are in for a long long ride.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by buzugee(m): 1:50am On Jun 24, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Looks good to me too.
ma niggaaaaa. brother from another mother. those people no get good taste like us
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by tpia5: 3:37am On Jun 24, 2011
ezeagu:

Okay, I'm not familiar, do you have an example of Nigerian architecture?

if you're not familiar with nigerian architecture then you'll just have to take my word for it, but these are some snapshots from the web:

[img]http://gatewaynigeria.tv/relocate/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/housing_ex.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/_3gMIBxs7Kzs/Sgd2PKZKlgI/AAAAAAAAACU/NdmJoGRFweQ/s400/LAGOS+HOUSES.jpg[/img]
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nobody: 3:43am On Jun 24, 2011
^^ those pictures are Fabulous!
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by busybody20: 1:08pm On Jun 24, 2011
Will a common person be able to buy all these cheap and beautiful houses or It's only the Politicians and their relatives ONLY who will benefit from this Awoof undecided
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 24, 2011
I dont believe those pic are of the house of 1.5m, What about the safety of the house, in Nigeria u want to use recycled plastics for housings? Am robbers will be in safe haven
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nosyke(m): 2:05pm On Jun 24, 2011
Houses at N1.5m shocked shocked shocked
The Question should be the quality of such houses, and whether or not standards will be compromised (mostly by contractors) thereby endangering the lives of innocent citizens.
Btw, the first House looks ok by any moderate standard
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Pukkah: 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2011
Nosyke:

Houses at N1.5m shocked shocked shocked
The Question should be the quality of such houses, and whether or not standards will be compromised (mostly by contractors) thereby endangering the lives of innocent citizens.
Btw, the first House looks ok by any moderate standard

You are right, you can't get the houses in the picture at N1.5m.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by swiftycool(m): 2:17pm On Jun 24, 2011
yeah right! If any technology has been rejected by the educated western world take it down to ignorant dumb & broke Naija which has no building regulations!
imagine plastic houses in a country where 80% depend on candles, lanterns & naked stoves for lighting & cooking, plus the very likely possibility of electric sparks due to millions of fake electronics/electricals gladly accepted in to our boarders, yet we hav a fire service that cant even fight simple fire-wood fires, abegi make una wake up bo
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by swiftycool(m): 2:23pm On Jun 24, 2011
@all, mind u those buildings shown above by the op or originator are just to mislead u, they in no way represent a prototype of the actual plastic houses in question.
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by Nosyke(m): 2:40pm On Jun 24, 2011
swiftycool:

yeah right! If any technology has been rejected by the educated western world take it down to ignorant dumb & broke Naija which has no building regulations!
imagine plastic houses in a country where 80% depend on candles, lanterns & unclothed stoves for lighting & cooking, plus the very likely possibility of electric sparks due to millions of fake electronics/electricals gladly accepted in to our boarders, yet we hav a fire service that cant even fight simple fire-wood fires, abegi make una wake up bo

I cant agree with you any less, the idea is just not feasible in Nigeria (at the moment)
Re: Nigerians To Own Houses For N1.5m Soon - Developers by kingjoe(m): 3:32pm On Jun 24, 2011
it is possible to build 1.5 million houses in nigeria ,with plastics as part of the walling component of the building but not the one in the pix, only the roofing coponent for that building cost at least 1m.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pop Design / Screeding At Better Price / Construction of 4 Bedroom Duplex +3 bedroom Bungalow At Ajah / The Compartmentalization and Historical Origin Of Nigerian Military Barracks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.