Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,919 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine (1242 Views)

Flutter Developers, Let's Connect! / What Will Happen To React In Future? / Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by qtguru(m): 7:26pm On Feb 13, 2022
Personally as a user of RN, I know the limitation dealing with Multiple Platforms and their respective view

Android => View
IOS => UIView

Shopify is working on a React + Skia Integration the same renderer Flutter uses to render it's UI, would you jump to React Native ?

githubDOTcom/react-native-skia/react-native-skia
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by qtguru(m): 7:56pm On Feb 13, 2022
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Nobody: 8:12pm On Feb 13, 2022
Well, No.

Reasons:

1. I hate JS. Although I can tolerate TS but I find JS/TS ecosystem to be such a poison. Not having to deal with node modules is one joy I can't give up.
Dart is such a beautiful language. You get very good intellisense by default, you can optionally use typing or not(I also type though), The docs are inbuilt for almost every method, function and variable, simple just hover over what you want docs for... and the docs are so good!
I say this even though I write TS and Dart code everyday at work because of Firebase cloud functions

2. The Flutter ecosytem. We have state management wars and navigation wars but overall it is a blissful community. The Flutter/Dart team are awesome and make this Flutter mascot videos which are great, and the Youtube channel is a bliss. Using Flutter is overall not just because of the Renderer and performance. If the ecosystem was terrible, Flutter would never have succeeded as it has

Las las, whatever pays the bills is determines the switch. If jobs for flutter starts declining, I would have to switch but if they both have same market shares then I will stick with flutter for the overall experience.

PS: I have only built a basic todo app with RN so this is quite a biased opinion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Ayodele951(m): 2:32pm On Feb 15, 2022
No. will stick to Flutter
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by DeathToAfonja: 3:28pm On Feb 15, 2022
DrLevi:
Well, No.

Reasons:

1. I hate JS. Although I can tolerate TS but I find JS/TS ecosystem to be such a poison. Not having to deal with node modules is one joy I can't give up.
Dart is such a beautiful language. You get very good intellisense by default, you can optionally use typing or not(I also type though), The docs are inbuilt for almost every method, function and variable, simple just hover over what you want docs for... and the docs are so good!
I say this even though I write TS and Dart code everyday at work because of Firebase cloud functions

2. The Flutter ecosytem. We have state management wars and navigation wars but overall it is a blissful community. The Flutter/Dart team are awesome and make this Flutter mascot videos which are great, and the Youtube channel is a bliss. Using Flutter is overall not just because of the Renderer and performance. If the ecosystem was terrible, Flutter would never have succeeded as it has

Las las, whatever pays the bills is determines the switch. If jobs for flutter starts declining, I would have to switch but if they both have same market shares then I will stick with flutter for the overall experience.

PS: I have only built a basic todo app with RN so this is quite a biased opinion

You don't hate JavaScript.

Just admit your head couldn't carry it

2 Likes

Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Naijatask: 4:01pm On Feb 15, 2022
DeathToAfonja:

Are you trying to say that JavaScript is harder to learn than dart?
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 15, 2022
DeathToAfonja:

Lol…okay, if you say so

You probably skipped the part where I “use typescript at work everyday”
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by qtguru(m): 6:06pm On Feb 15, 2022
Naijatask:

Yes, JS is DOM, BOM and EcmaScript, I'm sure you just need to know Dart, JS has alot to cover and is cumbersome for static typed developers.

1 Like

Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by qtguru(m): 6:17pm On Feb 15, 2022
DrLevi:
Well, No.

Reasons:

I like your take and it equally mirrors my mindset

I spent days dealing with Gradle and NPM in React Native, React Native is Stressful very stressful
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by 3exe3: 6:21pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

I spent days dealing with Gradle and NPM in React Native, React Native is Stressful very stressful

But in general what's the advantage of flutter to react

Thinking of porting to flutter once I get a new laptop
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by qtguru(m): 6:32pm On Feb 15, 2022
3exe3:

But in general what's the advantage of flutter to react

Thinking of porting to flutter once I get a new laptop

Better performance and speed by a good margin compared to RN, I have seen some fluid Flutter Apps. and it renders both Android and IOS UI far easier to port than React native based on my research.
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by 3exe3: 6:37pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

Better performance and speed by a good margin compared to RN, I have seen some fluid Flutter Apps. and it renders both Android and IOS UI far easier to port than React native based on my research.

How long have u used flutter

U don't do much of php right
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by qtguru(m): 6:58pm On Feb 15, 2022
3exe3:

How long have u used flutter

U don't do much of php right

Stopped at a Todo App, I have been on React Native since, hmmm I still do PHP for my second job but Plugins/Blocks mostly

1 Like

Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Nobody: 7:17pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

You could convince your boss about a stack switch. The performance increase and shortened product delivery time is more than enough reasons
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Nobody: 7:19pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

Yes, JS is DOM, BOM and EcmaScript, I'm sure you just need to know Dart, JS has alot to cover and is cumbersome for static typed developers.
Who manipulates the DOM manually these days?

Dart is quite simple for a language. Its actually one of its selling points.

But you see JS? I could write some JS code and you wouldn't be able to figure it out at first glance. that can never be Dart.
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by 3exe3: 7:57pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

Stopped at a Todo App, I have been on React Native since, hmmm I still do PHP for my second job but Plugins/Blocks mostly

Ok
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by qtguru(m): 9:14pm On Feb 15, 2022
DrLevi:

You could convince your boss about a stack switch. The performance increase and shortened product delivery time is more than enough reasons

Yes He okayed it for the next mobile app
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Nobody: 9:29pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

Yes He okayed it for the next mobile app
Nice, welcome to the dart side grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 15, 2022
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Naijatask: 5:55am On Feb 17, 2022
qtguru:

Thank you.
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Weyrehmod: 11:45am On Feb 17, 2022
Who go share me data to learn today.. Currently out of data and i have some assignment to complete today

09..0487..35507 AIRTEL if you have enough data to share please
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by DeathToAfonja: 7:17pm On Feb 17, 2022
Naijatask:

No one takes Dart seriously.

It's not even top 50 languages
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Naijatask: 8:57pm On Feb 17, 2022
DeathToAfonja:

No one takes Dart seriously.

It's not even top 50 languages

Yet, it's still getting popular and recognition though wink
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by niel63(m): 10:31pm On Feb 17, 2022
@DrLevi
I just because of you go do another unnecessary Google query just to prove a point.

1. REPEAT AFTER ME. YOU DONT HATE JAVASCRIPT.
You might be using whatever you are using at work place but from what I've read here, you don't actually hate the language... you just hate it's approach on a very personal relationship and reasons.

Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2022
niel63:
@DrLevi
I just because of you go do another unnecessary Google query just to prove a point.

1. REPEAT AFTER ME. YOU DONT HATE JAVASCRIPT.
You might be using whatever you are using at work place but from what I've read here, you don't actually hate the language... you just hate it's approach on a very personal relationship and reasons.
Lol...

I understand that you love JS and for some reason expect me to also do same but I don't.

I don't see myself writing a huge application in JS and even if I use Typescript, the JS ecosystem is so not for me.
Maybe I would feel different If I use javascript as my core programming language. Maybe.

I recommend you give a typed language a try, something as flexible as dart. You might end up not liking JS also
Re: Flutter Developers Would You Move To React Native If It Adopts Skia Engine by Nipeks(m): 2:51am On Feb 18, 2022
I use both Flutter and React Native but React Native is still my first choice (with or without Skia). I only use Flutter when I am asked to.

Flutter has a better performance compared to React Native but performance is rarely an issue with the kind of apps you build with Flutter and React Native.

I also don't like the fact that I had to learn a useless dart language which is only adopted by Flutter.
Flutter also put some limitations on how you can use dart in the framework. For example, you cannot use reflection/mirrors making it impossible to do a trivial thing like accessing the property of an Object by string. You end up using Maps where you really want to use Object just to make life easier.

So many packages are still not null safe and abandoned.
React Native has a more active community compared to Flutter.

(1) (Reply)

I Just Switched To Linux From Windows / Basics Of Auto Cad / Good News! Nokia To Establish Mobile Software Laboratory In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.