Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,449 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom (2705 Views)

Spirit Fire Consumes Sokoto, Takes 43 Lives, Destroys N50m Worth Of Property / KAI Destroys Computer Village Shops / Protecting Intellectual Property In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 5:06am On Jun 25, 2011

By Iniabasi Umo
June 24, 2011 12:02AM
print email

Residents of Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom State, are still counting their losses owing to a five-hour rain that flooded streets, houses, and destroyed property on Wednesday in the city.

The flooding occured despite huge amounts committed by the Akwa Ibom state government for the construction of a drainage system in the state capital.

The heavy downpour, which lasted between 11am and 3pm, left many streets flooded and created a traffic problem that is becoming a trend in Uyo.

Worst hit by the rain is house 34, G-line, Ewet housing estate, the home of a widow, Matina Sam, where the intensity of the flood water broke down the side fences of her compound and submerged the family car and the whole house in water - leaving the house occupants stranded, with no place to sleep.

Mrs Sam, who left for church in the morning only to return to a house flooded with water, such that she could not even gain entrance into the house without wading through a flood, said since nobody was at home when the rain started it was impossible to redeem anything from the flood.

Her son, Victor, blamed the flooding of their home to the negligence of Recon Construction Company working on the Nsikak Eduok drainage axis.

He said the company cut off the discharge point for water from the gutters in the area, causing all the gutters from the F and G-line axis of the housing estate to channel the flood towards G-line, resulting in the flood which emptied itself into their compound. He said the company has also not shown any sympathy to their plight.

“I blame the company that is handling this drainage work, Recon Construction Company. If they should do a drainage work, they should first start from the discharge outlet before they come over to where they are trying to channel the water. Whenever it rains heavily, it either floods the streets or enters people’s houses but the one of today is too much.

“It has destroyed household equipment, the car, and brought down the fence and even this fence in front is being threatened. Recon Construction is at fault and is to be blamed; they should be held responsible for the damage caused in this area. I called the state consultant of the company overseeing the job, Engineer Bassey, three times this afternoon. He said he is coming down here but to my greatest surprise, up till now, he has not shown up,” Mr Victor said.

Not yet world class

Lamenting that the flooding has made them stranded and cost them most of their property, a poultry and goat-herd, he said the family had to move in with relatives.

“The company should be asked to come and repair the damage they have done here. We have lived here for more than twenty years since 1990 and this has never happened. This same thing happened this time last year, it pulled down the right part of the fence and after persuading them for six months, they came and reconstructed the fence and today, that same fence has been pulled down. I intend to go to court, this loss is just too much,” he said.

During the inauguration of the state governor, Godswill Akpabio, for the 2nd term, he revealed that the city’s underground drainage system would be one of the best of such in Africa.

He said the drainage has been completed, is tested, and ready for commissioning.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5720863-146/heavy_rainfall_destroys_property_in_akwa.csp
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by EkoIle1: 5:11am On Jun 25, 2011
Poor Akwa, Fasola and Tinubu must be responsible for this.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 5:22am On Jun 25, 2011
This throwback seems kinda appropriate  cool:

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0XMn0U9b2Y[/flash]
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 5:26am On Jun 25, 2011
24 dead in Kano: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gg9R_nvIjruCKG2JIwTgpyLB_Btg?docId=CNG.6acdfe55efe574972a0415bd59f32cca.591

So is there no proper drainage anywhere in Nigeria?

Or is this some unusual (global warming related, maybe?) phenomenon?

Hrm
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by Mariory(m): 2:34pm On Jun 25, 2011
It seems folks hold Lagos to a higher standard than other states. They expect and don't mind their state being rubbish but want Lagos to be perfect. That's good to know. smiley

If this was a Lagos state thread it would be on the front page and people from SW, NW, NE, SE, SS, and some foreigners would be on the thread. . .interesting. . .
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 6:49pm On Jun 25, 2011
Mariory:

It seems folks hold Lagos to a higher standard than other states. They expect and don't mind their state being rubbish but want Lagos to be perfect. That's good to know. smiley

If this was a Lagos state thread it would be on the front page and people from SW, NW, NE, SE, SS, and some foreigners would be on the thread. . .interesting. . .

C'est la vie

I think they expect Fashola to be a god of some sort who can hold back the rain.

Alas. . .

Anyway, things are getting better and will continue to get better.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 2:16am On Jun 28, 2011
No posts, no comments?

Na wa o

So many are hypocritical, biased, and full of an agenda

Very shameful lot.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by EkoIle1: 2:27am On Jun 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

No posts, no comments?

Na wa o

So many are hypocritical, biased, and full of an agenda

Very shameful lot.

lol,

Obviously, na ya fault, you should have titled it Fashola In Deep Trouble::Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Lagos state

26 people died in Kano from flooding and we didn't hear ish from these hypocritical clowns,
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by nduchucks: 2:45am On Jun 28, 2011
Give it a rest guys. The fact that there was flooding in Akwa Ibom or Kano not not change the fact that Fashola could have done more to prevent the kind of flood we saw recently in Lagos. You guys, especially you, Eko-Ile, are overreacting. Sometimes criticisms can be constructive and good. Your governor is not perfect.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by EkoIle1: 2:56am On Jun 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Give it a rest guys. The fact that there was flooding in Akwa Ibom or Kano not not change the fact that Fashola could have done more to prevent the kind of flood we saw recently in Lagos. You guys, especially you, Eko-Ile, are overreacting. Sometimes criticisms can be constructive and good. Your governor is not perfect.

Don't you mean criticisms can be dum.b and mindless sometimes?

lol @ Your governor is not perfect. Thanks for making my day with that silly contradiction. You know he's not perfect, but it's still Ok to blame him for everything under the sum, even for not stopping rain with his magical powers, but you people are conveniently oblivious about deaths from flooding in other parts of your country, their deaths don't mean anything to you, all you people care about is Lagos. Nothing is news or big deal till you see Fashola's name and Lagos state Next to it,  and the only thing feeding that misplaced rage and manufactured rage and fixation is petty petty tribalism, bigotry and hate.

Please save your contradictory and pathetic sermon,
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by nduchucks: 3:03am On Jun 28, 2011
Eko-Ile, I expected your nonsensical response rant, but I know you are bright enough to get the point being made. congratulations. Olodo Eko o ni baje, and isale Eko a dara bi i downtown Kaduna, sooner or later, Mushin too.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by EkoIle1: 3:13am On Jun 28, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Eko-Ile, I expected your nonsensical response rant, but I know you are bright enough to get the point being made. congratulations. Olodo Eko o ni baje, and isale Eko a dara bi i downtown Kaduna, sooner or later, Mushin too.

Abeg no swear for me o.

Back to sender. Getting silly and hate mongering point no go be my portion for this life.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by ZnO: 3:19am On Jun 28, 2011
Good to see two Boko Haramites fighting themselves for once. grin grin grin grin grin grin
No be only christians una go dey kill. Useless Eko Ile and co. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by nduchucks: 3:41am On Jun 28, 2011
@Eko-Ile, oro e ko ye mi mo. O ti su mi. geez. smiley
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by seanet02: 4:52am On Jun 28, 2011
Ibos won't say na here. It is only in Lagos they Want Fashola to construct drainages for citizens, one drainage per head in the words of one ibo hypocrite, funny animals, difficult to tame and yet easy to rear.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 8:25am On Jun 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

lol,

Obviously, na ya fault, you should have titled it Fashola In Deep Trouble::Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Lagos state

26 people died in Kano from flooding and we didn't hear ish from these hypocritical clowns,

Hehe, my bad. You are right. Next time I post any bad news in the politics section, I'll remember to blame it on Fashola. Boko Haram? Blame it on Fash. A man's wife divorces him running away with the pastor and taking away his kids? Fashola. Rainy season in Nigeria? Again, Fashola's fault.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by Akanbiedu(m): 8:35am On Jun 28, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

As someone said, its easier to see a black dot on a white paper. Ask many what they see, they will tell you black and not the white. I think Fashola and stakeholders need to be careful at this point, concentrate on the job they are doing and forget about 2015 presidential elections at least for now. I can feel ethnically motivated struggle already. 

See alj harem has never discussed any development from his state, Borno(boko haram, ali modu sherrif, does anybody even know developmental projects going on in Borno at all? does anybody know other problems they are facing apart from security threat from boko haram?). Many others like him, you will never find any written report about happenings in their states. But they are always here discussing Lagos, Tinubu, Fashola etc

In my little experience with Nigerians, its actually easier and more rewarding to do NOTHING than to work for them. It doesn't even stop you from winning re-elections except PROBABLY you are in the SW.

I posted this before.

My guess, this thread may not get to 2 pages. This is a downer.

These people will rather spend the whole day abusing Tinubu than talk about OBJ,Anenih, Akala, Alameseigha, Bode george etc and their fellow crooks in the PDP.
Re: Heavy Rainfall Destroys Property In Akwa Ibom by Dotman01(m): 9:01am On Jun 28, 2011
dem no go put am for homepage?. . . Wch kind partial be dis sef

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Limestone Around Lagos, Ogun And Ondo. / My Dealdey Experience / Coping With Gambling Addiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.