Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? (4086 Views)

UNICAL Has Lost 11 Professors Not 21 Within 7 Months - ASUU Chair / What's Wrong With This Photo ??? / (Quiz)Can You Spot What's Wrong With These Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 2:24pm On Feb 15, 2022
Has anybody noticed that Google no longer deliver in depth search results? What I mean is that their machine can no longer think deeply. I noticed this over the past 2 years and I don't know whether someone out there has observed it too.

In the past, there's a way I used to fetch my old posts here on Nairaland. Example; there's a post here where I quoted a Malcolm X statement. I remember clearly that in that post there's a mention of "interest of black people" and the word "accolades". This I know for sure. So, if I wanted to repost the comment, I need not scroll my previous posts because it would take much time to find that comment, instead all I did was go to Google.com and enter "accolades, not serve the interest of black people, Malcolm X, nairaland.com" or I may enter "does not serve the interest of black people, Malcolm X, nairaland.com/musicwriter"

Three years ago, that's all I needed to search and I'll find the exact post on Google.com and repost it. But it's no longer working. If you search that today, you'll see exact mention of Malcolm and maybe his quotes but not the comment I am looking for. Yet, the comment is right here on the world wide web. I just want to know whether someone has noticed that.

The Google machine used to think before but it's more mechanical nowadays. It's just a robot now. It can no longer "think" outside of the search phrase.

8 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by osmoseas(m): 2:57pm On Feb 15, 2022
I think they are now more money than service oriented. Too bad. The capitalists have taken over!

7 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by bonadripper: 2:58pm On Feb 15, 2022
You don't know anything

Go and build your own google that can think

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 3:07pm On Feb 15, 2022
bonadripper:
You don't know anything

Go and build your own google that can think

You mustn't comment on every post on Nairaland. Only comment when you have something meaningful to say to assist a situation. When I said "think" I don't mean it's a human being.

60 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 15, 2022
What you're encountering is not the fault of Google, rather Nairaland. If Google is unable to properly index NL contents, it means there's a robots.txt tag preventing Googlebot from properly crawling and indexing NL.

If anything, Google has advanced incredibly over the years, using Natural Generative Language to properly understand queries, not to talk of Deep Mind.

25 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 4:15pm On Feb 15, 2022
HenryDion:
What you're encountering is not the fault of Google, rather Nairaland. If Google is unable to properly index NL contents, it means there's a robots.txt tag preventing Googlebot from properly crawling and indexing NL.

If anything, Google has advanced incredibly over the years, using Natural Generative Language to properly understand queries, not to talk of Deep Mind.

Ok. But I believe Google changed their algorithm about two years ago, which has brought about some unintended consequences in search results. It's not as if Google hasn't improved per se but they may have sacrificed certain things in order to achieve certain new results. That's what I believe happened.

5 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Richy4(m): 4:18pm On Feb 15, 2022

grin Think deeply?... What were u searching for that u wanted google to sweat about?...It has never failed me..

2 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 15, 2022
musicwriter:

Ok. But I believe Google changed their algorithm about two years ago, which has brought about some unintended consequences in search results. It's not as if Google hasn't improved per SE but they may have sacrificed certain things in order to achieve certain new results. That's what I believe happened.

Good releases new algorithm updates almost every six months. Like I said, what you're encountering is NL's fault not Google. Direct your grievances to Suen

2 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Odoogu(m): 4:25pm On Feb 15, 2022
Don't know if it's related, but definitely has google in it. Read sometimes ago where people talked about the failure of google map to update locations of known persons. Some are even dead but google map still shows them alive in their last location. Maybe it's some glith that will repair itself, don't know. Them Tech pro people on the forum could help.
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 4:28pm On Feb 15, 2022
Odoogu:
Don't know if it's related, but definitely has google in it. Read sometimes ago where people talked about the failure of google map to update locations of known persons. Some are even dead but google map still shows them alive in their last location. Maybe it's some glith that will repair itself, don't know. Them Tech pro people on the forum could help.

What I believe is that they changed the way the search engine works. But the one there before was better as far as I am concerned.

1 Like

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by 1Sharon(f): 4:39pm On Feb 15, 2022
You can switch to other search engines like duck duck goo and bing.

They even give different results. Google has become too mainstream.

1 Like

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Odoogu(m): 4:49pm On Feb 15, 2022
musicwriter:

What I believe is that they changed the way the search engine works. But the one there before was better as far as I am concerned.

Okay. Can there be recurrence of this anytime in the future?
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 5:06pm On Feb 15, 2022
Odoogu:

Okay. Can there be recurrence of this anytime in the future?

Yes, because they're always changing the algorithm as someone said previously. But it means they could also make mistakes forward. Especially, white people think linearly, so if they get something wrong, they may not realize it.
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by tempest01(m): 5:25pm On Feb 15, 2022
musicwriter:
Has anybody noticed that Google no longer deliver in depth search results? What I mean is that their machine can no longer think deeply. I noticed this over the past 2 years and I don't know whether someone out there has observed it too.

In the past, there's a way I used to fetch my old posts here on Nairaland. Example; there's a post here where I quoted a Malcolm X statement. I remember clearly that in that post there's a mention of "interest of black people" and the word "accolades". This I know for sure. So, if I wanted to repost the comment, I need not scroll my previous posts because it would take much time to find that comment, instead all I did was go to Google.com and enter "accolades, not serve the interest of black people, Malcolm X, nairaland.com" or I may enter "does not serve the interest of black people, Malcolm X, nairaland.com/musicwriter"

Three years ago, that's all I needed to search and I'll find the exact post on Google.com and repost it. But it's no longer working. If you search that today, you'll see exact mention of Malcolm and maybe his quotes but not the comment I am looking for. Yet, the comment is right here on the world wide web. I just want to know whether someone has noticed that.

The Google machine used to think before but it's more mechanical nowadays. It's just a robot now. It can no longer "think" outside of the search phrase.

I had this same observation. I think what is happening is that Google no longer crawls through the web and are doing what they call indexing, in my opinion as a search console owner.

Probably due to lots of information online and they want to increase search speed. They find keywords associated with the site and keep a snapshot every time content is updated with the keyword. That's what they search through rather than the whole web.

5 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 5:38pm On Feb 15, 2022
tempest01:

I had this same observation. I think what is happening is that Google no longer crawls through the web and are doing what they call indexing, in my opinion as a search console owner.

Probably due to lots of information online and they want to increase search speed. They find keywords associated with the site and keep a snapshot every time content is updated with the keyword. That's what they search through rather than the whole web.

Possible
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by RoyalBoutique(m): 5:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
Nairaland search bar is the worst.

Have you ever tried searching from inside nairaland?

The search algorithm needs to be rewritten so that it can search whole strings first before searching part of the string.

Seun, take note.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 6:03pm On Feb 15, 2022
@all
Over the past one hour I've been scrolling previous posts searching for the said post because I want to quote it in an upcoming article.
Finally, I found it. However, there are differences in words and phrases I was searching before.

But I've even tried searching the exact words and phrases and was still unable to find it on Google. It means, indeed, Google has changed the way the search works.
I was right!!

I maintain that the previous Google was more intelligent or unless as someone suggested, maybe they deliberately shed some load for speed.

See below

3 Likes

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by freshkpomo(m): 7:48pm On Feb 15, 2022
1Sharon:

Bing does it for me..

1 Like

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Simplecity(m): 7:50pm On Feb 15, 2022
musicwriter:

"Their engine can no longer think deep".......from there i knew this post na okoto
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Adewale1603(m): 8:31pm On Feb 15, 2022
what i noticed about Google in the past years, is that, some web content had been removed, some searches that used to be there before, i can no longer access them.
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by michlins(m): 9:11pm On Feb 15, 2022
The recent clampdown on Google about privacy and stuff is the reason.

They're not tracking your activities and keeping records as much as they used to.

1 Like

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 9:16pm On Feb 15, 2022
1Sharon:

Ok. Thanks
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by musicwriter(m): 9:20pm On Feb 15, 2022
Adewale1603:
what i noticed about Google in the past years, is that, some web content had been removed, some searches that used to be there before, i can no longer access them.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. I verified that eventually.
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by bluefilm: 9:28pm On Feb 15, 2022
musicwriter:

Go and build your own Google that can do all that na.

Nonsense. lipsrsealed
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Ihatebuhariwith(m): 9:43pm On Feb 15, 2022
1Sharon:

yeah I don’t use google

1 Like

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by manlawal(m): 10:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
musicwriter:

type nairaland.com first in Google follow by the words you want to search

1 Like

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Judybash93(m): 12:54am On Feb 16, 2022
Ihatebuhariwith:
yeah I don’t use google
Bing is useless
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by Coldplay007(f): 7:29am On Feb 16, 2022
musicwriter:

Ok. But I believe Google changed their algorithm about two years ago, which has brought about some unintended consequences in search results. It's not as if Google hasn't improved per se but they may have sacrificed certain things in order to achieve certain new results. That's what I believe happened.

Exactly.. it started during COvID.. google now censor every search.. there is an intentional effort to restrict your access to certain information concerning Vaccination adverse effect, or any information google thinks is coming anti vaxxers... its even worse with youtube.

1 Like

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by yesasac: 9:06am On Feb 16, 2022
Women make up only 28% of the workforce in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).

Join us for a conversation on how to break the gender bias in STEM fields.

Experts will be sharing their experience on opportunities in technology, engineering and renewable energy sector.

Click here https:///IWDevent2022 to register

1 Share

Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by calebcole(m): 9:15am On Feb 16, 2022
Google is still the No. 1

If they have any glitch, it will be spotted by body that controls search engines.
Re: Google Has Lost It!! What's Wrong with Google? by chyzoo4u(m): 10:28am On Feb 16, 2022
In a bid to curb blackhat page ranking with spinned, translated, autogenerated, fluffs, and valueless keyword stuffed contents, Google usually update the algorithm almost every two months these days.

By so doing, sometimes the search engine ends up sending intended results to the 10th page of the SERPs while the wrong result graces the 1st page.

Links gets deindexed on a daily as well. These and maybe some other factors, are the reason why you are having that experience.

Next time, try using the Boolean addition symbol in-between the words while searching on Google. Example: nairaland+MalcomX+Psychology

(1) (2) (Reply)

RECTOR OF Rivers State Polytechnics Unnecessary Expulsion Of Nifes President. / 20 Things I Have Learnt In My 20s. / 2015 WAEC Specimen (biology, Chemistry, Physics & Agric Science) Released.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.