Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,940 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? (19580 Views)

Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by anonimi: 3:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:
Please I need your candid advise on this issue. I have never been this confused on what to do. I have been working for some years as an Assistant lecturer in a Private University with a gross pay of 113k per month. I completed my PhD last year and got 3 other offers in Nigeria, the highest was of 177k per month as L2. I had already filled the agreement form to resume there by March 1st, which is just about 4 days from now. Just as I was about moving out my thing yesterday from my current place of work to the new place, I got an offer from another African country to resume 15th of March for a Government Academic job of a monthly salary of 1000 USD which comes with a monthly accommodation allowance of 100 USD and nothing more.

I am lost in the pool of consideration & don’t even know which would be the best for me in my career.

NB: pls don’t mind my grammar o; my PhD is in Computer Science and not in Linguistics and languages.

Thank you in anticipation

You should take the African country’s academic job as you will likely get more international opportunities from there.
All the best

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by anonimi: 4:01pm On Feb 25, 2022
West2019:
hope is not Togo dollar

Not everything is a joke.
Please be wise.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Feb 25, 2022
ebuka440:
I will advice you to go for the one in an African country because if the $1000 is in American dollars, then you will be earning 568,000 which is far better than 177k in Nigeria plus $100 dollars which is 56,800.
Your chances of getting a better employment in another country or salary increase will be based on your performances in that country.
If you are not married, I will strongly advise you to marry as that will help to boost your chances of being of good conduct and will also separate you from women's ass.
Like me, I recently got an offer to come to Australia which I can't even think twice before leaving.
I come in peace
This idea of single men not being of good conduct or sexually loosed. Where did that useless logic come from? undecided

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Memyselfu2009(m): 4:06pm On Feb 25, 2022
I wonder what you are thinking of.

1000 us dollar are you kidding

[uote author=elasticlala post=110534011]Please I need your candid advise on this issue. I have never been this confused on what to do. I have been working for some years as an Assistant lecturer in a Private University with a gross pay of 113k per month. I completed my PhD last year and got 3 other offers in Nigeria, the highest was of 177k per month as L2. I had already filled the agreement form to resume there by March 1st, which is just about 4 days from now. Just as I was about moving out my thing yesterday from my current place of work to the new place, I got an offer from another African country to resume 15th of March for a Government Academic job of a monthly salary of 1000 USD which comes with a monthly accommodation allowance of 100 USD and nothing more.

I am lost in the pool of consideration & don’t even know which would be the best for me in my career.

NB: pls don’t mind my grammar o; my PhD is in Computer Science and not in Linguistics and languages.

Thank you in anticipation[/quote]
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Aplaudez(m): 4:08pm On Feb 25, 2022
gistmega:
why are you all so negative about Nigeria?

So if you're to be in his shoes you'll stay back
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Brownshoe: 4:11pm On Feb 25, 2022
Where una they see this salary of thou thou kan,
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Lekan239(m): 4:20pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:
Please I need your candid advise on this issue. I have never been this confused on what to do. I have been working for some years as an Assistant lecturer in a Private University with a gross pay of 113k per month. I completed my PhD last year and got 3 other offers in Nigeria, the highest was of 177k per month as L2. I had already filled the agreement form to resume there by March 1st, which is just about 4 days from now. Just as I was about moving out my thing yesterday from my current place of work to the new place, I got an offer from another African country to resume 15th of March for a Government Academic job of a monthly salary of 1000 USD which comes with a monthly accommodation allowance of 100 USD and nothing more.

hope it's not Zimbabwe dollar sir. Ask very well o

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by tonididdy(m): 4:21pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

At least we should know what African country is offering to pay you in dollars?
Nor be all country, be country
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Annitakome(f): 4:36pm On Feb 25, 2022
They have said it all.
He that has an ear, let him hear.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Freemasonry: 4:45pm On Feb 25, 2022
I totally understand your dilemma, leaving your comfort zone to a totally different environment to start over usually comes with a lot of cold feet, and fear of the unknown.
But don't let it deter you.
Your future beckons my dear, embrace it!

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Ddonoflife(m): 4:54pm On Feb 25, 2022
lagdmark:

God has already built in us sense of direction and the will power to chose, develop and use it and stop thinking like trees & plants
And if I may ask who is the one thinking like trees and plants.
Well i wouldn't trade words with you cos u obviously lack training..
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Fadafada231(m): 5:10pm On Feb 25, 2022
West2019:
hope is not Togo dollar

Or Zimbabwe dollar

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by 1forall: 5:10pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

You don't need a PhD in linguistics to write good grammar.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by elasticlala: 5:29pm On Feb 25, 2022
1forall:

You don't need a PhD in linguistics to write good grammar.
No doubt about that. However, writing good English is not a measure of one’s intelligence, it only shows how well u understand the language. After all, pass marks range from 45 to 100. If they ask u to write a one-page discussion on a topic now, I’m sure one would find some grammatical errors there.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Aaaoo: 5:34pm On Feb 25, 2022
Think for yourself
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 25, 2022
Come and go and stay
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by lereinter(m): 6:47pm On Feb 25, 2022
PhD holder that is confused

It sounds weird
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by SaiRuiMall: 7:28pm On Feb 25, 2022
Vawulence City Talent Hunt.

Let's Hunt Talents and make Stars.
Can you do any of these? sing, dance, crack jokes (comedy) or act. Then make a 30 seconds video while performing, send to me. I will post to promote your Talent.

Remember to remember me when you blow.

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Feb 25, 2022
PhD in Computer Science and you dey reason a measly 177k. Honestly people with less qualifications and skills (presumably), make 10times that and more.
You need your eyes open to what is available out there. Join LinkedIn first and see.

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by elasticlala: 7:41pm On Feb 25, 2022
SaiRuiMall:
OP,
First of all, you do not deserve the PhD.
Who seeks advice about moving to a country yet leaving out vital information such as the name of the country in question?.
My sincere advice to you is : Return the PhD certificate, open a business center where you will offer computer training to jambites.
Thank u. Come and collect the certificate from me ooo… u hear ?
How old are u by the way ? U really think crucial decisions in life are based only on what you see or hear? Have u ever heard of the saying “” in the multitude of counselors, there is safety” ?
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by shegun4sur: 9:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
That African country is most likely not worth going to, otherwise why would you even think twice when the pay is the only factor you gave information on and it is more than twice whatever offer you have already.
Just mention the country if you really want to get better advise
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by gistmega: 10:08pm On Feb 25, 2022
Aplaudez:

So if you're to be in his shoes you'll stay back
There are thousands of American citizens leaving the US yearly. Thousands are killed and needless to say so many are homeless and some suicide.
Thousands make it in Nigeria yearly. New names are heard, and though there are insecurities as it is also prevalent in many other places in the world, people still make it. It is not as rosy over here as people paint it. Granted, there are some advantages but if one can make it in Nigeria, why run away? None of the Nigerian celebrities who left Nigeria made it elsewhere. None can financially compare to the ones who stayed back. It is okay to japa if that were one's only option but to state that it is THE option would be intellectually dishonest. More people are actually making it in Nigeria than the millions that migrated.
Boys in town own assets that most Nigerians in diaspora cannot own. Look around you and see money and stop running. No one is chasing you. People are being killed in all corners of the world. Nowhere is safe in this life.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Skittyrichy: 10:46pm On Feb 25, 2022
elasticlala:

Bro.. start with the work wey dem say make you resume for march first. Then, on the 15th of march, start the 2nd one and if you don see say dem don fully accept you, then quit the first job. No dey trust companies like that, Dem dey shenk ppl wellah ooh

Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Hassanmaye(m): 10:50pm On Feb 25, 2022
phemmyfour:
Na wá o....the kain PhDs we have these days. Anyway, Japa. Even as a fresh graduate, 177k is poor with today's economy
Some graduate are earning 30k
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by Irishrena1(f): 11:46pm On Feb 25, 2022
What are you still doing in this country or do you need cane? Before I open my eyes I don't want to see you in Nigeria
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by chucksbonda(m): 8:58am On Feb 26, 2022
I will recommend you go for the offer that pays in $. However, check the standard of living there first ooo. Some countries have high cost of living, like Angola.
Re: Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? by 1forall: 6:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
elasticlala:

No doubt about that. However, writing good English is not a measure of one’s intelligence, it only shows how well u understand the language. After all, pass marks range from 45 to 100. If they ask u to write a one-page discussion on a topic now, I’m sure one would find some grammatical errors there.

Grammatical errors in a one-page document? LOL. Please speak for yourself, and also stop glorifying mediocrity.

Police Fire Tear Gas At Workers, Injure One (photo) / Closure Of Sachet Water Firms In Kano: 2m Youths To Lose Jobs / "I Laugh When I Hear Ladies In Uniform Are Stubborn" Female Frsc Official