Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,930 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? (1337 Views)

Between Coconut And Palm Oil Plantation Which One Is More Productive / Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by Sammy999(m): 5:45pm On Feb 26, 2022
Good evening pals, please I need your advice on the above topic, because I want to start ones it starts raining. thanks for your response.
Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by Mariangeles(f): 5:55pm On Feb 26, 2022
With palm oil plantation, you can hardly suffer loss.
Also, there are always ready buyers.

With plantain, you’d have to seek for buyers.
Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by TechTack: 6:12pm On Feb 26, 2022
GO FOR PLANTAIN FOR PEACE OF MIND
Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by viyon02: 6:54pm On Feb 26, 2022
Both are good, but I will advice you go for soil test, determine the best for your soil.

1 Like

Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by madaosmosis(m): 8:03pm On Feb 26, 2022
Both are good but deciding on which is best and most profitable for you will depend on several factors which include:

Land type, plantain will grow very well on virgin bushy land and you will start harvesting within a year if well managed, however oil palm is more tolerant to sandy and less fertile soil.

Available of processing and milling is a factor in setting up oilbpalm farm, you have to consider the presence of people that will help you in pruning and bunch harvesting.

More so, consider the presence of market and your pocket because the seedlings of oil palm for an acre will be around 30k while that of sucker for an acre will be around 36k, but numbers needed differs.

1 Like

Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by Sammy999(m): 9:10pm On Feb 26, 2022
viyon02:
Both are good, but I will advice you go for soil test, determine the best for your soil.
Educate me more on this pls. tnks
Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by viyon02: 9:27pm On Feb 26, 2022
Sammy999:

Educate me more on this pls. tnks
ok, we have some expert that can do some analysis on any soil type in lab, they will tell you all what you need to know about your soil, and most importantly, the best type of crop that will do well on it. It will cost you little change but you will enjoy it, I think we have lab here in Lagos that can do that for you, but you can check around your location there may be one around you. You can also ask N power agro. For more Info.
Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by mav247: 7:42am On Feb 27, 2022
Sammy999:
Good evening pals, please I need your advice on the above topic, because I want to start ones it starts raining. thanks for your response.

There are questions you need to ask yourself before determining which of the two plants you would go for.

Firstly, What's your capital? How much do you have to finance it. Oil Palm takes much money and time (From about 4yrs) compared to plantain which can be ready to harvest in about a year.

Whats the condition of the land? is it a lease/rented land or outright purchase? as it is not advisable to cultivate oil palm on rented land. if you wish to plant oil palm you can go for very long lease (30 years and above) or better still purchase outright.

If the above two are checked. My advice is that you can plant both of them on same land as the recommended distance between oil palm is about 9 Meters X 9 Meters (approx 30ft) the distance in between oil palm plant is sufficient to plant plantain then the returns from the plantain will be used to sustain the farm till the palms canopy grows and overshadow the plantain which would span several years . Besides harvesting plantain you will also have lots of plantain suckers which you can sell off or transplant to another farm site.

Also take note that you buy good seed/seedlings from trusted and approved sellers to avoid stories that touch. You should also endeavor to conduct Good management practices... Weeding periodically, application of fertiliser, and others.

4 Likes

Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by bizzibodi(m): 3:49pm On Feb 27, 2022
Plantain has a shorter maturing period,oil palm takes 4yrs.
Plantain don't need to much processing unlike oil palm you need expensive machineries to process into po,pkn,pkc.
Plantain has low maintenance costs.
Plantain regenerates more suckers for expansion.
Oil palm you spent more money on seedling.
Plantain farming good for farmers with low budget.
Oil palm plantation you need huge capital,patience & adequate maintenance to breakeven.
Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by nurey(m): 6:02pm On Feb 27, 2022
Sammy999:

Tree crops are more profitable and viable than perennial crops.

Tree crops have more economic importance

Tree crops are a major source of raw materials to industries.

I had plantain in mind before as a retirement business but after going far and wide, oil palm is more profitable and demanded more than plantain.
Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by Waffarianman(m): 8:28pm On Feb 27, 2022
I prefer you go for palm tree because I have hybrid palm tree farm and am not regretting it for now till the future
Re: Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? by colonelanthony: 4:21pm On Jan 19, 2023
Can you share your contact Chief.

(1) (Reply)

Assumming You Have 1000 Grow Up Chicken How Do You Intend Selling Them @ Once ? / Large Acre Of Land Up For Grab!! / Boom Sprayer Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.