Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba (1810 Views)

Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by ahmEenu(m): 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2022
I’m asking cause dele giwa is a Yoruba’ man, I’ve lived all my life in Lagos, yet I never hear giwa for anything wey concern Yoruba. Is it a Yoruba word? Cause I know giwa is elephant in hausa. Please I need answers.
Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by Zonefree(m): 4:19pm On Mar 04, 2022
Ita Giwa iyawo Dele Giwa

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by ahmEenu(m): 5:02pm On Mar 04, 2022
What’s the meaning of the giwa
Zonefree:
Ita Giwa iyawo Dele Giwa
Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by UGBE634: 1:15am On Mar 14, 2022
ahmEenu:
I’m asking cause dele giwa is a Yoruba’ man, I’ve lived all my life in Lagos, yet I never hear giwa for anything wey concern Yoruba. Is it a Yoruba word? Cause I know giwa is elephant in hausa. Please I need answers.
Dele Giwa was never a Yoruba man. He was a full blooded Edo man from Etsako

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by ahmEenu(m): 7:29am On Mar 14, 2022
How did his name become dele? And what’s the meaning of giwa in edo?
UGBE634:
Dele Giwa was never a Yoruba man. He was a full blooded Edo man from Etsako

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by UGBE634: 3:43pm On Mar 14, 2022
ahmEenu:
How did his name become dele? And what’s the meaning of giwa in edo?
It is not uncommon for Edos to bear Yoruba names, just like it is not uncommon for us to bear Hebrew, English names but that doesn't make us English or Hebrew men right. He was a bonafide Edo man from Ekperi-Etsako but he seem to have been given birth in Ife I think. Check your records son. This should cement it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by niggadee(m): 11:31pm On Mar 15, 2022
Many ijebus bear giwa as surname
Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by BabaRamota1980: 8:16pm On Mar 17, 2022
ahmEenu:

Beside tribal marks to give physical identity and visual representation, Yoruba had been using many different concepts and rituals for self-identification and one of them is Name Identity. Yoruba name has structure and is geospatial.

What led you to believe Dele Giwa is Yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by Wealthoptulent(m): 10:04pm On Mar 18, 2022
ahmEenu:

Giwa is used as the word "DIRECTOR" OR "HEAD OF"
giwa ile ise wa

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by ahmEenu(m): 12:03pm On Mar 19, 2022
Cause dele is a Yoruba name
BabaRamota1980:

Beside tribal marks to give physical identity and visual representation, Yoruba had been using many different concepts and rituals for self-identification and one of them is Name Identity. Yoruba name has structure and is geospatial.

What led you to believe Dele Giwa is Yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by BabaRamota1980: 9:03pm On Mar 19, 2022
ahmEenu:
Cause dele is a Yoruba name

Ok. Rotimi Amaechi.

Is he Yoruba? Rotimi is Yoruba name.
Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by ahmEenu(m): 1:59am On Mar 20, 2022
Please I have no idea , I just Dey ask simple question about dele giwa. That’s it.. so I don’t know why you are questioning me
BabaRamota1980:

Ok. Rotimi Amaechi.

Is he Yoruba? Rotimi is Yoruba name.
Re: Yoruba Experts Come Out; Please What’s The Meaning Of Giwa In Yoruba by Olu317(m): 8:44am On Mar 20, 2022
Wealthoptulent:

Giwa is used as the word "DIRECTOR" OR "HEAD OF"
giwa ile ise wa
At last, someone nailed it and it's you. Giwa in Yoruba means a leader as you rightly stated or one authrorised to act on behalf of designator.

This is a lower rank leader or one given authority to act on behalf of Ọbá. Dele Giwa's father was a servant in the palace of Ooni Ife,which was the connection he had with Ileife.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Put Any Nigerian Proverb You Knw Here, Yoruba, Hausa, Or Igbo / Slaying Or Madness: Lady Carried By A Masquerade, Pics - Culture - Nairaland / Get A Free Copy Of Our Digital Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.