Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria (1528 Views)

"We Are Too Much In UK Thats Why Light Went Off" Nigerian Man Says (video) / Nnamdi Okafor: I Will Rather Be A Refugee Or Die In Ukraine Than Return / Thousands Sign Petition To Stop Jeff Bezos From Returning To Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:32am On Mar 05, 2022
The first batch of more than 400 Nigerians who fled the ongoing war in Ukraine following the Russian invasion returned back to the country on Friday morning, grateful that the government came to their rescue.

But it is a mixed bag as many others have vowed not to come back to the country, wondering what they would be doing after their return.

The first set arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja aboard a Max Air flight.

The returnees, most of whom were students, arrived shortly after 6.30 am on a chartered Max Air flight from Romania’s capital Bucharest, one of the hubs from where African governments are scrambling to extract stranded citizens.

Foreign Ministry official, Gabriel Aduda, tweeted pictures of the group inside an aircraft late on Thursday, saying “415 Nigerians mostly students fleeing the Ukraine-Russian war from Bucharest.”

Many looked tired but relieved that their journey was over.

“I’m very happy to be back home, thank you, Nigeria!” one young woman said as she walked off the tarmac and into the terminal building in Abuja.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, said there were about 5,600 Nigerian students in Ukraine and an estimated 8,000 Nigerian citizens in the country before the war.

On Monday he said an estimated 1,000 citizens were ready for pickup from Romania, 200 others in Slovakia, and 250 both in Hungary and Poland.

A million refugees have fled Ukraine so far, the UN said Thursday, warning that unless the onslaught ended immediately, millions more were likely to flee.

Ghana on Tuesday became the first African country to return its citizens, flying home 17 out of 500 stranded students.

Meanwhile, even as the returnees remain grateful that they are back home, many other Nigerians have chosen to stay back in Ukraine or escape to any of the neighbouring countries rather than coming back to Nigeria.

One of them, Nnamdi Okafor, who spoke to TheNiche in an exclusive chat on phone, Thursday, said he would rather die in Ukraine than return to Nigeria.

“What am I coming back to Nigeria to do? Has anything changed in our country,” the 32-year-old from Anambra State, queried.

Okafor who said he is an economic migrant to Ukraine said in a worst case scenario, he would leave Ukraine for any other country, but definitely not Nigeria.

Narrating his ordeal in Nigeria, Okafor who said he read engineering in a Nigerian polytechnic, said coming back to the country does not cross his mind at all.

“For now, I am still in Ukraine. I used to live in the capital city, Kyiv, but I have moved to one of the border towns which is relatively safe presently.

“But if the war reaches there, I will escape to another country by the grace of God. But if death becomes my destiny, so be it. I would rather remain here a refugee than return to Nigeria.”

Asked why he will not take advantage of the Nigerian government’s free evacuation and return home, he said life in Nigeria was pure hell not worth experiencing twice in one lifetime.

“My brother, the question you should have asked is why I left Nigeria in the first place. I came to Ukraine two years ago. Before I did, I had stayed in Nigeria for five years after my Youth Service without a job. My country psychologically abused me. I was frustrated and miserable. I almost lost hope in life. I was depressed.

“But it took me only two months to secure a good job when I came to Ukraine in early 2020. If not for this senseless war, life was beginning to have meaning for me once again.

“So, if I hop into the plane because I have seen a free flight, what happens after I come down in Abuja or Lagos or wherever? Has anything changed in Nigeria? Will I now get the job, lack of which forced me out?

“I am not coming back. This war will end one day. But if it doesn’t, we will decide what next to do. But coming back to Nigeria is out of it for now. And mind you, I am not the only one staying put. The students who were sent here by their rich parents to study may go home, but I doubt if any economic migrant like me will dare do that,” he concluded.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/ukraine-ill-rather-remain-a-refugee-than-return-to-nigeria-says-32-yr-old-okafor/

1 Like

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by baritereign24(m): 10:42am On Mar 05, 2022
Please don't come,life in Nigeria is worse than the war in Ukraine

5 Likes

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Eadsa: 10:43am On Mar 05, 2022
Exactly why thousands of our youths volunteered to go and fight for Ukraine, at the Ukrainian Embassy in Abuja grin
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by doggedfighter(f): 10:51am On Mar 05, 2022
grin
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by doggedfighter(f): 10:52am On Mar 05, 2022
Eadsa:
Exactly why thousands of our youths volunteered to go and fight for Ukraine, at the Ukrainian Embassy in Abuja grin

grin
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by LILTJAY1: 10:55am On Mar 05, 2022
If you want to stay there, stay there and stop disturbing us.. we beg you make you come? angry

2 Likes

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Prosperous111(m): 11:00am On Mar 05, 2022
Mumu people

If nah me I no go even try come back home. Man go just collect gun and nah to dey fire one shots every morning till the war is over. Foolish Nigerian youth
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Stenewiser: 11:03am On Mar 05, 2022
baritereign24:
Please don't come,life in Nigeria is worse than the war in Ukraine
your life your choice, am enjoying nig.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Stenewiser: 11:04am On Mar 05, 2022
Prosperous111:
Mumu people

If nah me I no go even try come back home. Man go just collect gun and nah to dey fire one shots every morning till the war is over. Foolish Nigerian youth
your life your choice, naija no good, but at least there is no running Helter skelter

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Prosperous111(m): 11:11am On Mar 05, 2022
Stenewiser:
your life your choice, naija no good, but at least there is no running Helter skelter

I no go come naija seh
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by ruzell86: 11:14am On Mar 05, 2022
Stenewiser:
No running helter skelter... you say?

Okay, if you live in Lagos... (Agege or similar area to be precise), go to your nearest bus stop say by 5:30am or about 10:30pm...

..And see If you no go run Kitikiti or katakata.. grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Stenewiser: 11:15am On Mar 05, 2022
ruzell86:

Okay, if you live in Lagos... (Agege or similar area to be precise), go to your nearest bus stop say by 5:30am or about 10:30pm...

If you no go run Kiribati or katakata.. grin
then change location, Lagos is the smallest state in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by ruzell86: 11:21am On Mar 05, 2022
Stenewiser:
Or is the South East safer... with the ESN boys currently on rampage.

Not saying Kyiv is better @now, but Nigeria isn't any safe as well

2 Likes

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by vicdom(m): 11:21am On Mar 05, 2022
TOPCRUISE:

“But it took me only two months to secure a good job when I came to Ukraine in early 2020. If not for this senseless war, life was beginning to have meaning for me once again.

“So, if I hop into the plane because I have seen a free flight, what happens after I come down in Abuja or Lagos or wherever? Has anything changed in Nigeria? Will I now get the job, lack of which forced me out?

“I am not coming back. This war will end one day. But if it doesn’t, we will decide what next to do. But coming back to Nigeria is out of it for now. And mind you, I am not the only one staying put. The students who were sent here by their rich parents to study may go home, but I doubt if any economic migrant like me will dare do that,” he concluded.

I was telling someone that many people that are returning are people from buoyant and socioeconomic homes. No serious economic Nigerian migrant would choose to come back. Never!! They would rather move to neighboring countries or find means and move to a better country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by complexBoss12: 11:27am On Mar 05, 2022
Stenewiser:

Do you live in Nigeria?

Even at this very moment Ukraine is safer for civilians than Nigeria, at least the Russians give warning for civilians to leave before attack.

2 Likes

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Idiko1: 11:28am On Mar 05, 2022
Why would anybody with functional brain want to return to Nigeria? A dilapidated Ukraine is better than the shithole called Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Stenewiser: 11:28am On Mar 05, 2022
ruzell86:

Or is the South East safer... with the ESN boys currently on rampage.

Not saying Kyiv is better @now, but Nigeria isn't any safe as well
at least I don't run, moreover every country has their own internal insecurities, gang war, terrorism and they likes. but this a war between two countries, for few people to choose staying in Ukraine admist War doesn't mean Nigeria is a bad country to stay, e money, alaba business men, and alot of guys are doing well here, so it's a mere choice, Bleep them, who knows them over here, cus I guess the got nothing to live for back here.
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by lereinter(m): 11:29am On Mar 05, 2022
Stenewiser:

That's what the guy did, he has moved from Kyiv to border town

Where he could easily move to another country, or worst situation get killed if the war reach there

1 Like

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Brexxit(m): 11:31am On Mar 05, 2022
I thought some mumus said no jobs in Ukraine.
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by helinues: 11:31am On Mar 05, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by lereinter(m): 11:32am On Mar 05, 2022
Many nig students there fa

Is the tuition that cheap, do they get job after schooling?

1 Like

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Totilopussylick(m): 11:48am On Mar 05, 2022
Eadsa:
And you think if they permit them to go, they go gree fight

Na escape route they are looking for cheesy

1 Like

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by Golan007: 12:12pm On Mar 05, 2022
The fear of ESN.

Okafor no wan die.

grin
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:02pm On Mar 05, 2022
According to Okafor half Bread is better than none. He would rather enjoy his half Bread in Ukraine.
Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by BennyDGreat: 2:01pm On Mar 05, 2022
ruzell86:

..And see If you no go run Kitikiti or katakata.. grin

Agege Ap those boys no dey smile. Dem go obtain you and run after you with better beating

1 Like

Re: Man says he would rather remain a refugee in Ukraine than returning to Nigeria by HRprof: 5:09pm On Mar 05, 2022
Idiko1:
Why would anybody with functional brain want to return to Nigeria? A dilapidated Ukraine is better than the shithole called Nigeria.

Keep deceiving yourself.
Most Nigerians in Ukraine are looking for flight money to come back since now thanking God for free flight . Nothing dey for Ukraine for hustlers, people go there for schooling and they offer affordable fee unlike US and Uk and those who travel to hustle end up with regret. Now they have realize NO PLACE LIKE HOME.
When you leave nigeria you go understand what I’m saying right now feel free to badmouth your fatherland

(1) (Reply)

I Got A "special Visa Appointment" With The German Embassy. But I'm Confused! / Trafford Hotel Abuja / West Africa Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.