Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,811 members, 7,817,356 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! (3487 Views)

What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? / A Must-read For Young Igbos Who Are About To Start Off Their Families / The Language Of Talking Drums In Yoruba Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goodmarlian: 3:32pm On Mar 05, 2022
Ohaneze and other Igbo socio-cultural groups should do something about our declining culture it is no longer a joke ,most igbos born outside igboland cannot speak the language and these people are millions in population especially here in Lagos southeast is even better igbos in the southsouth are worse they have totally lost touch with their motherland .in my whole extendeded family my cousins do not know how to speak they only understand because they were born and bred in Lagos,I created an association for Igbo students in my school so we can communicate with only Igbo language but many were not interested,the association died before the end of the semester,English is gradually replacing our language.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 3:34pm On Mar 05, 2022
Your Lagos crew should come down to Igboland and speak English.
Tell them to just try it.

The word "Efulefu" exists for a reason. They are gone. We move.
No need crying over spilt milk

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Billingslord: 3:35pm On Mar 05, 2022
why would they learn or speak language that is not appealing to hear,some of them are even a shame of speaking the language in public outside iboland. that cannot be say about yoruba and Hausa.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by cazchi: 3:36pm On Mar 05, 2022
Goodmarlian:
Ohaneze and other Igbo socio-cultural groups should do something about our declining culture it is no longer a joke ,most igbos born outside igboland cannot speak the language and these people are millions in population especially here in Lagos southeast is even better igbos in the southsouth are worse they have totally lost touch with their motherland .in my whole extendeded family my cousins do not know how to speak they only understand because they were born and bred in Lagos,I created an association for Igbo students in my school so we can communicate with only Igbo language but many were not interested,the association died before the end of the semester,English is gradually replacing our language.

Our roots(land) has been compromised and poisoned. The day we get Biafra back is the day the our cultures will take centre stage. From Igbo, to Calabar, from Ibibio to Annang!

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goodmarlian: 3:37pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:
Your Lagos crew should come down to Igboland and speak English.
Tell them to just try it.

The word "Efulefu" exists for a reason. They are gone. We move.
No need crying over a spilt milk

But it's not their fault they were born there,they didn't choose to their parents migrated there in search for greener pastures,my late dad migrated to Lagos after the end of the civil war in 1972.

7 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goodmarlian: 3:39pm On Mar 05, 2022
Billingslord:
why would they learn or speak

First of all are you Igbo?
If no what are you doing here angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goldbw122(m): 3:40pm On Mar 05, 2022
This issue cut across most tribe, yeah nearly all the tribe always speak English, and they promote that language so we'll that we forget our traditional layout and ways.. and it is such a pity.

3 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 3:42pm On Mar 05, 2022
Goodmarlian:

But it's not their fault they were born there,they didn't choose to their parents migrated there in search for greener pastures,my late dad migrated to Lagos after the end of the civil war in 1972.
They are a huge/grave minority.
Don't complicate things or worry yourself for nothing.

BTW, they have no excuse. No single excuse at all not to understand Igbo because we have people born and bred outside Africa that understand Igbo perfectly. Some are even on this forum.
So no excuse.

9 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goodmarlian: 3:42pm On Mar 05, 2022
Goldbw122:
This issue cut across most tribe, yeah nearly all the tribe always speak English, and they promote that language so we'll that we forget our traditional layout and ways.. and it is such a pity.

Yorubas and hausa promote their language better.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Totilopussylick(m): 3:43pm On Mar 05, 2022
The reason is because the Igbo language are different languages

If you go Anambra state they speak different Igbo language

Same in all the states cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 3:44pm On Mar 05, 2022
Totilopussylick:

The thread didn't talk about Yoruba Language

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 3:47pm On Mar 05, 2022
Goodmarlian:

Don't play that card. It doesn't work on Ndigbo any longer.
If those Efulefu in Lagos decided not to learn Igbo, then we have no option than to consider them lost.

The Igbo nation have passed the stage of blackmail. Once they step into Igboland or any Igbo affair outside Igboland, they will be reminded without remorse that they are Efulefus. People with no nation.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goodmarlian: 3:47pm On Mar 05, 2022
Omo see as non-igbos viewing this thread is equally alarming them use igbo matter do una for this forum... cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by cherishmichael: 3:48pm On Mar 05, 2022
Abi?
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goodmarlian: 3:49pm On Mar 05, 2022
Totilopussylick:

I no understand this ur comments I just dey smell ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by rdokoye: 3:53pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

Don't play that card. It doesn't work on Ndigbo any longer.
If those Efulefu in Lagos decided not to learn Igbo, then we have no option than to consider them lost.

The Igbo nation have passed the stage of blackmail. Once they step into Igboland or any Igbo affair outside Igboland, they will be reminded without remorse that they are Efulefus. People with no nation.

It's about needs. Despite popular beliefs, there aren't that many Igbo people living outside of Igboland. So learning Igbo is rendered almost pointless, by the mere fact that you'll rarely, if ever, use the language, outside of your immediate household.

There are far more Yoruba migrants; just come to the UK, and in the USA, they now outnumber Igbo people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 3:54pm On Mar 05, 2022
rdokoye:

It's about needs. Despite popular beliefs, there aren't that many Igbo people living outside of Igboland. So learning Igbo is rendered almost pointless, by the mere fact that you'll rarely, if ever, use the language, outside of your immediate household.

There are far more Yoruba migrants; just come to the UK, and in the USA, they now outnumber Igbo people.
Mtcheww... Nkọgheri.

Yorubas complain of their kids born in Lagos (their supposedly backyard) not knowing how to speak Yoruba. Especially those born in high brow areas of Lagos.

Remember "Mummy Calm Down" kid? The biggest concern of the Yoruba nationalists in the video was the ability of the kid to speak fluent Yoruba.
... and that was in Lagos, So don't tell me nonsense

12 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by mrvitalis(m): 3:56pm On Mar 05, 2022
Goodmarlian:
I dey this table no break am

Truth is our parents especially those who live outside Igboland knew the hate and envy being Igbo made u face so they tried to shield us by not teaching us Igbo ...more or less trying to shield our Igbo indenting from attack

But it's absolutely no excuse ...I'm trying my best to learn igbo

2 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 3:58pm On Mar 05, 2022
People learn things they are interested in and proud of

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by aikyg(m): 4:02pm On Mar 05, 2022
Sad but true. Th people guilty of this are mostly those Igbos that were raised in Lagos. The Igbos raised in the UK, Australia, Asia and North America surprisingly speak Igbo better than those Lagos Igbos.

11 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Ojiofor: 4:02pm On Mar 05, 2022
Totilopussylick:

That is not the problem because if you can speak your local dialect then that means you speak igbo language.

4 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Billingslord: 4:04pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:
you gonna get respect nyamiri language

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Goodmarlian: 4:05pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

If igbos are not interested or proud of their identity why do they want their own country,the problem here is the parents not the children.

8 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by helinues: 4:05pm On Mar 05, 2022
Goodmarlian:

If igbos are not interested or proud of their identity why do they want their own country,the problem here is the parents not the children.

Can we address the issue about the language first before talking about self independent

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by duro4chang(m): 4:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
Goodmarlian:

But in Lagos here yoruba language is suffering especially among the children of affluence.

3 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:07pm On Mar 05, 2022
I don't see any reason for this thread. The sad reality is that the few that can't speak Igbo because they were born in ordinary Lagos are even grave minority compared to those born within that Lagos that can speak Igbo.

I have noticed that most Efulefus like to make their personal problem a national one. The fact that you personally can't speak Igbo because you were born in Lagos doesn't mean that you should broadcast something that you should be ashamed of as of it affects others who can speak the language.

If I am to rate the ratio of those born in Lagos that can speak Igbo to those born in that same lagos that can't, I will say that it is 15:1 in Igbo favour.

If you doubt it, create another thread to ascertain the ratio, then you will find out why I say that those that cannot speak Igbo should just keep quiet and get lost.

They made their choice

9 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by oilPUSSY(f): 4:07pm On Mar 05, 2022
The op is not Ibo, even Ibos speak their language outside their state of origin that's not theirs.. If we could be speaking Igbos in Igbo dominated markets outside Igbo land, to the extent of even speaking it in the church that generated controversy some weeks ago how Much more in our different homes outside Igbo land ?

I repeat the op is not Igbo.. He's a very mischievous person

9 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by rdokoye: 4:08pm On Mar 05, 2022
BKayy:

Mtcheww... Nkọgheri.

Yorubas complain of their kids born in Lagos (their supposedly backyard) not knowing how to speak Yoruba. Especially those born in high brow areas of Lagos.

Remember "Mummy Calm Down" kid? The biggest concern of the Yoruba nationalists in the video was the ability of the kid to speak fluent Yoruba.
... and that was in Lagos, So don't tell me nonsense

Well, they need to come to terms with the reality, that Yoruba is not a nation, Nigeria is, and it's multi-ethnic and multicultural. And as long as it exists as a nation, there will be a toll, on all ethnic groups that live within its borders. If Biafra comes into being, then you can talk about these things, but for now, you're speaking in direct contradiction with reality.
Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by BKayy: 4:08pm On Mar 05, 2022
helinues:

Can we address the issue about the language first before talking about self independent
You should be focused about speaking only English being the difference between an average Yoruba and Yoruba kids born in Lagos Island.

We all know so before you look for a spec in Igbo eyes, remove the Iroko tree in your eye.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! by Igboid: 4:10pm On Mar 05, 2022
I have relatives born and raised in USA who speak impeccable Igbo.

I think it's more of a problem with Igbos raised in non Igbo parts of NIGERIA than Igbos in outside NIGERIA.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Nigerian Juju Real? / Reasons Why You Should Marry An Igbo Lady / Igbo Village In America Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.