Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? (18104 Views)

Transmission Fluid , Coolant, Brake / Clutch Fluid, Synthetic Diesel Oil / Transmission Fluid , Coolant, Brake / Clutch Fluid, Synthetic Diesel Oil / How Many Liters Of Automatic Transmission Fluid Is Enough To Gauge Auto Gear Box (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Topccy007z: 4:16pm On Mar 08, 2022
Hello Nairalanders, please can any one tell when exactly the transmission fluid in cars are due for change. Mine has lasted for 18 months already but the transmission still runs smoothly. I majorly do local runnings. Just few short trips.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by correctyourself(m): 4:23pm On Mar 08, 2022
Topccy007z:
Hello Nairalanders, please can any one tell when exactly the transmission fluid in cars are due for change. Mine has lasted for 18 months already but the transmission still runs smoothly. I majorly do local runnings. Just few short trips.

You better leave that system alone if it's not given any issued, no do eye service for where gearbox they o, hhheeemmm who no get problem with gearbox no know wetin God do for am.

144 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by matken(m): 12:43am On Mar 09, 2022
Lol. Nothing would happen sir. I change my gear oil every 6 month. I own two cars no ish till date. The only thing I can advice u us do u have to the money for original oil.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Mynd44: 4:20am On Mar 09, 2022
On the average, 45,000 miles or 72,000 km

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Brendaniel: 4:20am On Mar 09, 2022
You have to be careful...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by CoronaVirusPro: 4:22am On Mar 09, 2022
Every time your windshield wipers stops working

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Emmaxmusic(m): 4:25am On Mar 09, 2022
Windshield bawo

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by MisterGrace: 4:28am On Mar 09, 2022
Topccy007z:

If you use a Toyota car, after one year, buy original Toyota transmission oil, I think it's either 17,000 or 18,000 NGN.

You should change it especially when your start to perceive choking smell from you gearbox oil.

Or change it when the level of your transmission oil drops below the usual marked point.

Also when your gear transmission is not selecting smoothly.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Mrford(m): 4:33am On Mar 09, 2022
Topccy007z:

If you know the service history, you can change at every 30,000 miles. If not check the colour of the fluid, change if it's dark, or dark brown leave as is if it's still pinkish or reddish brown.

Ensure you use original of the recommended transmission fluid for your car. If not you will end up bitting yourself. There are lots of fake out there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by phemmyfour: 4:34am On Mar 09, 2022
Topccy007z:
If it's not broken, don't fix it. Don't create trouble for yourself

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Fibonacci88: 4:39am On Mar 09, 2022
My D light has been blinking intermittently for some time now. Looking for genuine Honda transmission oil is not easy. Ppl have recommended using other transmission fluid but fear no let me.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Mrford(m): 4:49am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:
My D light has been blinking intermittently for some time now. Looking for genuine Honda transmission oil is not easy. Ppl have recommended using other transmission fluid but fear no let me.

It's blinking for a reason, have it scanned first, its likely not the fluid.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by donaldking10: 4:56am On Mar 09, 2022
oya car owners over to you. I no de put mouth for anything wey no concern me ni.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by slex(m): 5:05am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:

It's a sensor issue not the fluid

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by chloride6: 5:08am On Mar 09, 2022
Original transmission fluid is rated for miles (about 50k).

Also you can get a mechanic to get a sample for you, if it has its pink colour you are probably fine

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by oladipuposadeeq(m): 5:11am On Mar 09, 2022
Topccy007z:
sincerely its better you just leave that complicated mechanism because you might change the oil now and it starts acting up like woman wey you no give money for food so biko leave am jejely and wayoly.

9 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Carparts888(m): 5:12am On Mar 09, 2022
if it smells burnt and the colour darkens from the pinkish color then its time to change the oil and filter. I advise servicing your transmission once every year to be on the safe side.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Carparts888(m): 5:15am On Mar 09, 2022
Toyota has more than one transmission oil e.g T 4 and WS
MisterGrace:

If you use a Toyota car, after one year, buy original Toyota transmission oil, I think it's either 17,000 or 18,000 NGN.

You should change it especially when your start to perceive choking smell from you gearbox oil.

Or change it when the level of your transmission oil drops below the usual marked point.

Also when your gear transmission is not selecting smoothly.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Carparts888(m): 5:18am On Mar 09, 2022
Dont try it ooo or u will end replacing your entire tranny this Buhari season. Its not hard to find your recommended tranny oil for your honda. whats the model and year of your honda brand?
Fibonacci88:
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by LordofNaija: 5:19am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:
Buy camel ATF, I they are one of the best in the market and cheap too. Been using it for 3years and is been bliss
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by lonelydora: 5:26am On Mar 09, 2022
If you transmission is not giving you issues by your D light blinking or rough gear change. Leave it. Transmission oil is meant to last for 5 years and above. The new CVT transmission in some new car mdoel (2018 and above) is not meant to be changed. It lasts as long as the age of the vehicle.

Leave your transmission alone. If you MUST use recommended oil.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Carparts888(m): 5:26am On Mar 09, 2022
I disagree with u, there was a time I changed mine every 6 months for my camry( Toyota W S tranny oil) because I travelled a lot with it but I never had any single issues that applied to my infinity(mactic j tranny oil) which I changed once after 6 months till I stopped travelling frequently with them so now I just do once a year.
As long as you use the recommended tranny oil for your vehicle and let a competent automobile mechanic handle your vehicles, then you have no issues to worry about.
oladipuposadeeq:
sincerely its better you just leave that complicated mechanism because you might change the oil now and it starts acting up like woman wey you no give money for food so biko leave am jejely and wayoly.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by lonelydora: 5:26am On Mar 09, 2022
matken:
Lol. Nothing would happen sir. I change my gear oil every 6 month. I own two cars no ish till date. The only thing I can advice u us do u have to the money for original oil.

You are damaging tha transmission

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by lonelydora: 5:29am On Mar 09, 2022
Fibonacci88:

It means it's due for change. Use Genuine Honda DW-1 only. It is 4,500 per 1 litre. There is a China type of it. Ask the seller to give you Japan. Don't mind anyone advising otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by mu2sa2: 5:30am On Mar 09, 2022
First, if you buy a used car make sure you drain every fluid that comes with it and replace (i e, engine oil, transmission fluid, radiator coolant, brake/clutch fluid, everything). Now to your question, it's recommended you change the transmission fluid after every 50,000 to 100,000 km. I bought my car over 2 years ago, replaced all the oils and have not changed the transmission fluid after doing a little research on when to change oil ( I prefer using distance covered, though, because it's more accurate than using period car is used). Many people waste money changing oils unnecessarily. As for engine oil change every 5000 km if you use semi- synthetic or every 10,000 km if it's fully synthetic.

10 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by OCTAVO: 5:31am On Mar 09, 2022
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Miyachi: 5:31am On Mar 09, 2022
matken:
This is very wrong unless you put in a lot of miles. What does your service manual advice?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by oladipuposadeeq(m): 5:34am On Mar 09, 2022
Carparts888:
I disagree with u, there was a time I changed mine every 6 months for my camry( Toyota W S tranny oil) because I travelled a lot with it but I never had any single issues that applied to my infinity(mactic j tranny oil) which I changed once in 6 months till I stopped travelling frequently with them so now I just do once a year.
As long as you use the recommended tranny oil for your vehicle and let a competent automobile mechanic handle your vehicles, then you have no issues to worry about.
its just that I know two people that have complained about their gear malfunctioning immediately after servicing 09 camry and 05 sienna though with different mechanics maybe those mechanics didn't use the recommended oil as you've said

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Miyachi: 5:40am On Mar 09, 2022
Topccy007z:
Check your car maintenance manual. For most cars it is after 96,000km to 160,000km. Always use the recommended OEM oil.
Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Ixodes(m): 5:50am On Mar 09, 2022
changed my gear oil just yesterday 2011 Camry spent 40k on oil alone. each 4 litre can cost 20k for the real Tws Japan. reason for service P2716 code came up with engine check light. Have not seen the code since I serviced it and car drives smooth.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know When To Change Your Transmission Fluid? by Tovard(m): 5:51am On Mar 09, 2022
Anyways, it all depends on car products and year of manufacturing. 2008 models cars hardly require changing of transmission oil � frequently.

I would advise you to leave your car transmission oil till when Buhari leaves the seat of power or else, either Zuba, Ladipo or lagos automobile parts markets will chop your money.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shipping Truck From Usa To Ng / Get All Your Car Radio Codes From Day11 / 2 Uints Of Lexus Rx350 Toks Fully Loaded 2010 Model And 2015 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.