Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,098 members, 7,852,723 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 03:01 AM

Nigerians Are Suffering Because Of Our Values - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerians Are Suffering Because Of Our Values (102 Views)

There Was Yoruba Integrity Until Nigeria Eroded Our Values And And Heritage.. We / “so Many Men Of God Are Suffering In Silence Because…” – Mike Bamiloye / Adolor Junction In Benin Suffering Flooding For Almost 3 Decades(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Are Suffering Because Of Our Values by Gidexxxx: 7:51am On Mar 09, 2022
Sometimes when think about how this country that is supposed to be the envy of all African nations and many others in the world turned out to be like this, it just makes me to shake my head in disbelief.
Nigeria is suffering from a lot of challenges with the most severe ones being inflation and security. The most devastating one that affects people on a daily is the constant rise in the prices of items in the market, for reasons you can't just comprehend. We know the naira is performing bad against the dollar, but that is not all, and I will try to explain what I have noticed.
1. Nigerians are criminally minded.
This is not to bash all the populace of the country, but it is true that most people in businesses are very dishonest and greedy. I live in Makurdi, Benue and over the past months and for reasons I don't quite understand, a satchet of pure water was sold for #20 and you could get three for #50.
But things have subsided and the prices has returned to normal as bags are being sold for #150 currently but many people buy and sell for #20! They want a temporary inflation to be permanent for their own selfish gains. That is why things are never cheap in this country even when you have them in abundance.

2. Corruption is a value we cherish

In a country where dishonesty, greed, and desire to exploit each other have been given names like " being wise", "not dulling" and other forms of glorification, it is no wonder that we are currently suffering from thesame ethics we hold on to as a society and nation.
The people in power today were once amongst us as ordinary people who held on to these same beliefs and mentality waiting for an opportunity.
If you and I think that the country's wealth is a "national cake" to have a piece of to ourselves, then what is stopping us from embezzlement when we get there? Power doesn't corrupt people. People are corrupt.
The whole system of the country is built on negative and immoral vices that has gone unchecked for years and has gone really deep.
If not, explain how can item cost you #500 in Ikorodu and #1500 in Lekki? In thesame state for that matter!

3. We don't have a government. Everyone is his own government.
The recent fuel scarcity opened my eyes to discover how lawless and also funny this country is. Petrol stations don't have enough fuel to sell yet you see fuel in huge quantities in the black markets. These dealers are not even afraid of the law (and that's because there's none), as they were littered on the road doing their business in front of petrol stations selling fuel for more than twice the pump price.
Corruption is at play again and everyone wants to partake of it as it has become a natural instinct if you're a Nigerian.
I know things can't change overnight but our little efforts into a change for a better society can mean a lot to the next generation. If things continue like this, then this nation would be lost.
Re: Nigerians Are Suffering Because Of Our Values by Lawlab254: 7:54am On Mar 09, 2022
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Congratulations To All Omo Oko Yoruba / The Bitter Truth In Love / 35 People-centered Extraversion Leadership Tips For Everyone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.