Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,024 members, 7,838,569 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. (18223 Views)

Massive Sack Looming In Many Digital Companies/banks / Online Artisans And Service Professionals Marketplace / Online Artisans And Professionals Marketplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by ifeoma2611(f): 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2022
Ok
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Kutunban: 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2022
Sad
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by FreeStuffsNG: 1:15pm On Mar 11, 2022
There are still good artisans. The only problem is that most of them are easily swayed away from their craft.

I know two exceptionally good artisans who have shifted to doing that nonsense ponzi called crypto tokens. Before, it was okada bisiness taking them away but now its crypto and online scam yahoo plus.

That is why FG is right with this hurdles against the crypto ponzi. As soon as it crashed,I realize those guys returned to their work. One is a tiler who is exceptionally gifted.
FG should keep up the good work against crypto ponzi and other easy money frauds that take away our gifted artisans.
God bless Nigeria for ever.

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 11, 2022
Ghanaians trained these artisans and we’re reliable and whatever they did lasted it wasn’t just a cash cow for them once they left our mentality went to get as much as you can fix the problem but create another.

People say China is cheap stuff but better quality is higher price. American stuff you get rebate and warranty. British stuff it’s universal Indian stuff they last years na you go tire

I am self taught and I don’t give up till it’s done and it helps

I saw a mechanic opening a benz I said do you know what’s wrong? Do you have a scanner ? Nope ok rolled on by trial and error Dey cost money

I bought scanners different types to undo the programming bullshit tools these Niggas use

Call mechanic to help you fix something follow him hand na starter he adjust to delay starting means burning more petrol in a scarcity.

So you have youths who can’t wait to get there to do it too papa a yahoo boy . Him pikin go Sabi family business our parents bought Vtech and abacus for a reason your brain will make you money but create value first.

I have done so with all my companies

Your cart should always be more than your checkout cause not everything is impulse sometimes na plan

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by 1x2x3: 1:18pm On Mar 11, 2022
Not in the EAST
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by remsonik(f): 1:20pm On Mar 11, 2022
"Won fe mo'se, sugbon won fe ko'se" They want to know the work but don't want to learn it. We all want to cash out highly daily but to be an expertise in a good field they don't want want. Only to be an expertise in Yahoo yahoo, fraud dey hungry them. May God help us

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Arielle: 1:24pm On Mar 11, 2022
For all of you planning to "japa", better get what used to be called"handwork". Welding, carpentry, plumbing. Abroad, these trades are making crazy money. Learn these skills and get a trade certificate. I have 2 teenage boys and they're learning carpentry. They're at the top of their classes so they are not academically backwards. But in today's world, you must have a back up plan. A skill that enables you use your hands to earn your money and not depend on employment. OP very good topic that young people need to take heed of. I have friend in Canada whose son is in Uni. He goes to learn in a carpentry workshop in his spare time. Thats what gave me the idea. And the fact that in the UK, I have to learn to fix my own toilet and wield a hammer to fix doors and broken furniture because it costs an arm and a leg to get someone in to fix them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Karlirk: 1:28pm On Mar 11, 2022
This is a phase in a country's development. Countries like the UK and the rest have passed that age, which is why the works of artisans are now more valued and better compensated there.

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by drmuchin: 1:29pm On Mar 11, 2022
Yahoo
Oil Bunkering
Skull mining

ti take over
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by cmecproblem(m): 1:29pm On Mar 11, 2022
The few who learn it will cash out!
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Litmus: 1:30pm On Mar 11, 2022
In recent times I couldn't help but think about how the artisan and Craftsmanship industry of Nigeria will be 10 years from now.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s, it is common and even a thing of pride whereby people sign up for apprenticeship for a couple of years to get the required skill in their field of interest.

I wonder if the shift in mindset of Nigerians, that I've noticed is related to this. The shift being that younger Nigerians, disappointingly, no longer view running a business as an ambition but rather as a necessity. Like the rest of Africa, younger Nigerians now want to be employees. Once , Nigerians would only trade the prospect of running a business for top carriers such as in medicine, law, engineering, accountancy, piloting and so on. Now people want to be employed rather than be creators of employment for others by running businesses. We are loosing our edge.
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by ubev01(m): 1:32pm On Mar 11, 2022
Maybe in your area, in my area here, there are more artisans than jobs
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by smile11s(m): 1:35pm On Mar 11, 2022
Onyewarri:
In recent times I couldn't help but think about how the artisan and Craftsmanship industry of Nigeria will be 10 years from now.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s, it is common and even a thing of pride whereby people sign up for apprenticeship for a couple of years to get the required skill in their field of interest.

Some Parents like my father even insisted on adding artisanry to formal education as plan B. So all each children had to learn a skill while waiting for admission or during the one year industrial training period in higher institutions ( A legacy I will earnestly follow with my lineage).

Aside the fact that it is a huge boost to ones C.V., you will never beg for food unless you weren't serious with your training.

But today you hardly see youngsters, learning Craftsmanship or artisanry. Every body wants to be a content creator, a programmer, content writer, Yahoo yahoo and the likes.

Nobody wants to be a plumber, an electrician, a technician, a mechanic, a bricklayer or tiler, welder, iron bender and the likes.

Have you noticed how difficult it is to get an experienced and skilled artisan these days. Sometimes you have to wait for days for them to come and do jobs for you in your house.

The crux of the matter is the crop of experienced and skilled artisans and Craftsmen and women presently available are those from the 80s and 90s. Most of their apprentices are actually with them just to make ends meet thereby prioritizing the need to make money above that of properly learning the skill from their master.

Personally I think it's just a matter of a couple of years before we realize the dire situation of artisanry and Craftsmanship in this country. Maybe by then we will start looking for foreigners to fill in the gaps.

What do you guys think?

agree with you. Nothing last forever though. Stuffs like this will eventually become for the rich only.

https://gist.am/question/artisans-and-craftsmanship-in-nigeria-is-now-a-looming-crisis
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by ginggerxy: 1:39pm On Mar 11, 2022
Badb0y4lyf:
No body wants to do dirty Job again but right now its does Jobs that pays even more than. White collar job.
the issue is not being dirty, the major problem with being an artisan in Nigeria is that you will work and Nigerian won't pay you for your labour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by adeoba2008(m): 1:40pm On Mar 11, 2022
The only artisans you can find around now are barbers. Some are not ready to learn except you can be paying them while they are learning.
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by saintjimos(m): 1:41pm On Mar 11, 2022
As a shoe maker I can say that the country doesn't favour us at all
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by madridguy(m): 1:41pm On Mar 11, 2022
I tire. I argue same thing on facebook with a man before he keep shot. I challenged him that day that I have more than 10 secondary students that are willing to learn a skill if he can pay for them. Na so the guy shut up.

Artisan are still everywhere.

ubev01:
Maybe in your area, in my area here, there are more artisans than jobs

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by TheGift: 1:48pm On Mar 11, 2022
Foreigners from countries like Benin Republic have been taking artisanal Jobs in Nigeria for over a decade now.

Some contractors even prefer them, not only for their competence but also their character.

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Comedian2019: 1:52pm On Mar 11, 2022
Trash
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by AKWATGOLD1(m): 1:53pm On Mar 11, 2022
My brother is a serious looming crisis if you look the way things are going now with crop of Yahoo boys and girls. I feel for my dear country Nigeria.
Onyewarri:

Some Parents like my father even insisted on adding artisanry to formal education as plan B. So all each children had to learn a skill while waiting for admission or during the one year industrial training period in higher institutions ( A legacy I will earnestly follow with my lineage).

Aside the fact that it is a huge boost to ones C.V., you will never beg for food unless you weren't serious with your training.

But today you hardly see youngsters, learning Craftsmanship or artisanry. Every body wants to be a content creator, a programmer, content writer, Yahoo yahoo and the likes.

Nobody wants to be a plumber, an electrician, a technician, a mechanic, a bricklayer or tiler, welder, iron bender and the likes.

Have you noticed how difficult it is to get an experienced and skilled artisan these days. Sometimes you have to wait for days for them to come and do jobs for you in your house.

The crux of the matter is the crop of experienced and skilled artisans and Craftsmen and women presently available are those from the 80s and 90s. Most of their apprentices are actually with them just to make ends meet thereby prioritizing the need to make money above that of properly learning the skill from their master.

Personally I think it's just a matter of a couple of years before we realize the dire situation of artisanry and Craftsmanship in this country. Maybe by then we will start looking for foreigners to fill in the gaps.

What do you guys think?
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 11, 2022
Shoodboi:
First, this is not true:

Secondly, I knew you were going to mention internet fraud the moment I started reading and you didn't disappoint.

Plus the fact that you included it with things like content creator, a programmer, content writer, and then added "and the likes" at the end instantly discredits your argument in the faces of people in those fields (including me).

What links do those careers have with fraud? Seun Osewa who owns Nairaland is a programmer.

But I'll put that aside since I understand what you're trying to say (unless you have hidden intentions).

You need to understand how the world (and the method of generating wealth) is changing and how people follow those changes, without even realizing it.

In the past, wealth was generated from farms. Basically, the more farmland you had, the more money you had.

Wealth later moved from farms to industries (factories, etc.) during the industrial revolutions. And people followed...

That's why we had lots of craftsmen and technical schools in the 80s and 90s compared to today since there were lots of industries in the world and most of the tech stuff we take for granted today were evolving at the time.

Now, wealth has moved from industries/factories to services and people are following suit.

That's why you're seeing less people in craftsmanship these days.

And let's not talk about our increased population,
The increasing complexities of skills required to become a craftsman,
The destruction of the middle class who are the biggest spenders, which means fewer jobs for craftsmen,
The massive deindustrialization that has been happening in Nigeria since the 70s due to poor government policies and forced us to focus on importation over manufacturing/assembling, and so on.

That said, you'll be surprised to know that everything you're saying now was the same thing everyone else said in the 80s and 90s:

They complained about people leaving the farms for craftsmanship. And now, you're complaining about people leaving craftsmanship for the digital world.

You'll be surprised again to learn that someone in the future will make the same complaint about people leaving the digital world for something else.

It's just the world happening and is nothing to bother about.
You just spoke facts
One cold drink for you

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 11, 2022
Calmdancer21:

You just spoke facts
One cold drink for you

Thanks. grin grin grin
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by SmartPolician: 2:06pm On Mar 11, 2022
Stop the exaggeration. Artisans are everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by InoGetJoy: 2:07pm On Mar 11, 2022
I'm getting my car AC fixed and I'm watching a craftsman fabricating AC seating for people. He charged them 20k each, but he charged 1 guy who was really begging 18k. 5 people are here waiting for him. That's 100k. In 1 day. And, according to the guy fixing my AC, much people didn't even come today.
Most white collar jobs don't give 200k in 1 month.
Handwork pays, just that it's mostly hard work

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Ohislee(m): 2:09pm On Mar 11, 2022
Nigerians naturally do not like to pay for service.

When an electrician works for you and demands N3,000 as his fee. That's when you see a Nigerian start asking, what did you do that you expect me to pay N3,000. They forget this is what this man is using to pay school fees and feed his family.

Articians hardly earn good in this country that is why the industry is gradually dying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by ayandee: 2:16pm On Mar 11, 2022
Artisans arent well-paid in Nigeria because Nigerians dont like paying for services. They bargain service charge like they are pricing garri. This extends to even other service related professions except médecine.
Trading in goods is more profitable. It's the reason some plumbers and carpenters now sell building materials instead of actually rendering services.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Ofiadiegwu: 2:17pm On Mar 11, 2022

Onyewarri:

What do you guys think?

Your observation is an important one.

And I must add that it's very dangerous, the way we are going about it.
Do you know genuine mechanics are scarce now?
What you have all over the place are people claiming to be what they are not =quarks.

I personally had experience with a Toyota mechanic who do not have knowledge of automatic transmission gears repairs but went ahead to work on it and caused me great loss.

I also experience supposed experts on Peaugeot automobile who, continued to make me use 5 litres of engine oil (and it severally led to damages of oil-seal at various parts of the engine) whereas, 4 litres were the maximum the vehicle required...

So many Fake Experts all over Nigeria now because people are after the money. Just the Money now, and they don't care about the service they render.

If you look towards other sectors, you will see worse. E.g vulknizers who would over inflate your tires, leading to a burst in the hot sun when the tire seeks to expand on a hot coaltar when the tire had been maximally inflated.

Or do you wish to consider the mechanics who would loose your tires and do some repairs on the legs of your vehicle and when it's time for coupling it back, they would leave the work for amateur feeble limbed kids to do. Leading to lax coupling that your wheels might be shaking and making sounds while you move. Bolts may not be tight and, you better check it out or see your tyre running into the bush ahead of you on a high way.

I personally used to do artisans work back then. I was known to focus on customer/client satisfaction than on the money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 11, 2022
I thought this was what politecnics were made, and established for.
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by walidase4: 2:28pm On Mar 11, 2022
see below
Re: Artisans And Craftsmanship In Nigeria: A Looming Crisis. by pacespot(m): 2:33pm On Mar 11, 2022
I think most of of the problem are attributable to the disorganized state of Nigerian industry and manufacturing. Those artisans and craftsman you mentioned ought to be working in a building and construction company as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc. But thanks to the disorganized labour force, these people have to provide the service by themselves waiting for customers to come and patronize them.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Company Worker Arrested For Threatening To Kill Promoted Colleague, Children / Career Choice: All You Need To Know / Drop That Harsh Thing In Your Mind, You Wish You Can Email To A Boss Or Client B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.