Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,257 members, 7,857,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 10:45 AM

Oloture: Movie Review - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Oloture: Movie Review (305 Views)

Oloture: Movie Review / Incluvie Movie Podcast | Movie Review Podcast / Movie Review: Williams Uchemba’s Dry Jokes ‘killed’ Dream Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Oloture: Movie Review by Jimsonjaat86: 11:36am On Mar 19, 2022
Movie Review

Movie Title: Oloture (Endurance)

Duration: 1 hour, 46 minutes and 52 seconds.

Language: English and a blend of Nigerian vernacular. (No subtitle)

Setting: Lagos and Benin Republic Border.

Recently, I told my students during literature class that as literature students, they shouldn't see movies only for the fun of it but also for intellectual and heuristic purpose.

Oftentimes, seeing movies stimulates me to derive a topic to write on. This is a cogent reason I prefer seeing movies alone, devoid of interference. Because na me and my pen and jotter dey see the movie together. When pen and jotter are not handy, I jot inside my brain. Weird you say? �

Let's dive into the review of Oloture

Oloture is a movie that revolves around human trafficking, adventurous quest, intrigues, murder, struggle for survival and societal maladministration.

Oloture(Sharon OOja) the protagonist of the play was a daring investigative journalist who in her quest to unearth hidden secrets about human trafficking went undercover in a brothel under the guise of wanting to work as a prostitute. She adopted the name Ehi as her undercover pseudonym.

Though her prostitution outings were carefully mapped out for possible escape routes to prevent her from going intimate with her customers on such outings.

However, luck failed to shine on her on one of such outings(a party thrown by a top politician). She was drugged and raped by the host, Sir Philip Ondaje; a well-known politician who delights in drugging and raping young girls.

Alero; (Omoni Oboli) is a human trafficker disguised as a cloth seller. She provide girls to warm beds during parties thrown by bigwigs and also traffick girls to Europe for prostitution.

This does not come handy as the girls have to pay two thousand and two hundred dollars to be enlisted into the number.

Linda, a young lady in search for survival in Lagos found herself in the brothel in a bid to survive. She worked hard to be able to gather the required amount for she and her innocent younger sister aged seventeen, a virgin to travel to Europe through Alero so as to alleviate the pangs of poverty ravaging their family.

The poor girl was not in the know as her sister never gave her full information on the real purpose of their journey to Europe.

Ehi got to know about the journey to Europe through Linda while the latter was helping her treat her bruised arm during her escape attempt from a customer the previous night.

She (Ehi) showed interest in going with the girls to Europe with an underlying motive of apprehending Alero and her accomplices.

Plans on the journey to Europe was in top gear. No stone was left unturned to avoid any mishap.

Ehi and Emeka; her colleague who doubles as her lover were also leaving no stone unturned to nab the traffickers in their hideout before they embark on the journey to Europe.

Mobile phones and all means of communication was collected from the girls on getting to where they were lodged in preparation for the journey.

However, Ehi succeeded in secretly taking her phone with her into the lodge. This she secretly used to communicate their movement with Emeka; her colleague and lover.

After the initiation and taking of oath, which was a gory scene, onboarding to Europe was the next line of action.

After several persuasion and pleas from Linda, Ehi lend her phone to her to put a call through to the latter's mother in the village.

Linda was not as smart as Ehi and was caught in the process which led to her(Linda's) gruesome murder by the traffickers.

The realization that their hideout and time of movement has been divulged, this was gotten from the conversations found on Ehi's phone, they made to leave for Europe immediately.

As a result of the bane of societal maladministration and ineptitude that has bedeviled all systems of government, there was a restriction from the Nigerian Police due to the unavailability of their men to go on the rescue mission.

However, the police eventually gave in to raid the traffickers hideout but, it was a fruitless journey as they (the traffickers) left with the girls before daylight.

In her bid not to resign to fate, before their bus crossed the border, Ehi tried escaping with Linda's sister.
The latter escaped while Ehi was caught, silenced with blows and was taken back into the bus on a journey of a slim chance of returning.

The bane of societal maladministration was also depicted in this scene. I presume that the immigration officers at the border were in the know of the shady deal of the traffickers.

This was revealed when one of the male traffickers defied the order of queuing at the border. Instead, he went to one of the immigration officers to grease his palms with fresh mints and they were granted unobstructed pass without being checked.

Deceit was also displayed in the movie as the ladies were trafficked to cross the border in a bus disguised as a missionary bus.

Except for the few lewd scenes which I had to skip for my spiritual sanity,� the movie is a blockbuster.

On a scale of 1-10, I rate the movie 9 over 10.

Download and see Oloture if you haven't. It will make your weekend.

Have you seen Oloture? What do you have to say about this movie? I will be waiting to hear from you in the comments section.

#Moviereviewfriday

© Dada Blessing Oluseyi

(1) (Reply)

Credit Score Score Scale - The Best Way To Just Take Your Score Up A Notch / #headlines On The Trumpet Newspaper / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.